Anti-gay religious group gets funding from Canadian government to work in Africa

There are 20 comments on the CFRB story from Feb 10, 2013, titled Anti-gay religious group gets funding from Canadian government to work in Africa. In it, CFRB reports that:

An evangelical organization that describes homosexuality as a "perversion" and a "sin" is receiving funding from the Government of Canada for its work in Uganda, where gays and lesbians face severe threats.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CFRB.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#22 Feb 11, 2013
Wiener52 wrote:
<quoted text>
At least the government of the State isn't paying an "Anti-gay religious group" to spread "stink" like Canada's aledgedly is! This state has come a long way (albeit slowly) in trying to equalize "marriage rights".
Got problems with that? How's New Hampshire doing in that arena? Any better?
New Hampshire has had marriage equality since 2010.
Cana

Burnaby, Canada

#23 Feb 11, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
To give a simple example, in the realm of health care:
We currently have a nursing shortage. Yet the College of Nurses of Ontario refuses to recognize almost any set of qualifications from outside Ontario nursing schools. My ex-partner and current housemate had an RN degree in Russia and was actually qualified as a physician's assistant. He is 41 and was educated right after the Soviet break-up. At that time, Russia still had the very hight standards of technical education the former Soviet Union did (whatever you think of that entity, it did a very good job of educating people in science and technology). He was not allowed to sit for an RN exam here - they wanted him to go back to school for four years! Nursing is nursing - other than knowledge of some local regulations, it does not differ greatly from one place to another.
They did allow him to sit for an RPN exam. He was thinking of taking a short review course just to make sure he understood Canadian practice techniques. But he went to a local college at that time and was told "no one from your country ever passes the exam" without a ton of coursework at high expenditure of both time and expense. He told them this was BS and studied on his own, easiliy passing the exam at first sitting.
Another example: My other housemate, who is my ex's husband, is a recent immigrant from Italy. He has a 30 year background in municipal work as a city clerk. He did not really expect to be able to get a city job here, so took a course to become a security guard and passed the licensing exam. He recently interviewed with a firm here. They gave a pre-qualifying test to him. Of 15 questions, 14 were about English knowledge and only one was about security practice. And the ones about English knowledge were far beyond what is needed of a security guard. For example, they asked about the meanings of words like "whereas", which is hardly ever used in everyday speech.(Remember, his English was sufficient to pass the licensing exam for the province.) Our belief was that this test was purposely designed to weed out immigrants and was probably different than a test administered to native-born Canadians. We have filed a human rights complaint.
We talk to other immigrants very frequently with similar issues. One of our neighbours is a man from Byelarus with a doctoral degree in biotech. He is working as a security guard. Recently someone trying to get accesss to the building he works in called him a "monkey."
The problem is that the GOVERNMENT of Canada has NOT been xenophobic over the past 30 years - it has, until the last few years or so - welcomed skilled immigrants from may professions. It is the private sector (including sel-reuglagting professions)and individual opinions where the guilt lies. Here in Toronto there are tons of skilled foreign workers driving cabs. Not because there are no jobs for them - there are technology jobs going begging - but because of unspoken prejudice in the workplace.
I cannot put aside the possiblity that my opinion might be different if my housemates and I lived in a different province, such as yours. We have only lived in Ontario so far.
The point is that when one becomes a legal resident of a country and is qualified to do a job, there should be no issue about the country of the person's birth (nor of his/her education, providing that education is sufficient for the job at hand and that the person can speak one or more of the national languages at the necessary level of fluency for the job). If you are going to let in immigrants, they need to be treated the same way as natives if they are legal here.
Oh sorry I didn't realize you hadn't finished.
Cana

Burnaby, Canada

#24 Feb 11, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
(continued)
It seems to me that if anything has undercut salaries here, it is the granting of legalized cartels to businesses and legislation preventing workers from striking in private secotor industries. Air Canada is a good example. Harper's excuse was that it was needed to serve remote northern communities. In fact, most of them are serviced by tribal airlines (Creebec, for example) and Air Canada basically just flies to the three territorial capitals. More BS from the tories.
Having lived in both the US and Canada, I would say that the sins of the US are religious fanaticism and greed, but the sins of Canada are hypocrisy, smugness and complacency. Canada is preferable in many ways as it guarantees its citizens health care and does a better (though not perfect) job on ensuring basic education and a decent chance at basic food and shelter. But people here have a tendency to pat themselves on the back a bit too often.
Immigrants with a skill set will not go without job...have your friends with skilled checked QSW, or BCSW?

I work in the trades, and there are no shortage of immigrants on job sites where the skill set is dangerous in many ways ie misunderstanding instructions, skillset from old country not to Cdn standards, unwilling to report unsafe practices.

The airline industry, like many other industries in Cdn have main challenges other countries don't. So sometimes hard calls have to be made, but the fact were not service to Northern routes, it was to keep our economy alive.

Of your three criticism of us, the only one I would agree to is complacency...in that our business community always looks south. The smug I quite enjoy thanks!

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#25 Feb 12, 2013
Cana wrote:
<quoted text>
Immigrants with a skill set will not go without job...have your friends with skilled checked QSW, or BCSW?
I work in the trades, and there are no shortage of immigrants on job sites where the skill set is dangerous in many ways ie misunderstanding instructions, skillset from old country not to Cdn standards, unwilling to report unsafe practices.
The airline industry, like many other industries in Cdn have main challenges other countries don't. So sometimes hard calls have to be made, but the fact were not service to Northern routes, it was to keep our economy alive.
Of your three criticism of us, the only one I would agree to is complacency...in that our business community always looks south. The smug I quite enjoy thanks!
We are all permanent residents now - I don't think those programs are applicable but let me know if I am wrong. Also, as expensive as housing is here in Toronto, it is more in Vancouver, and none of us are Francophone, so don't really want to move to Quebec. Plus we are heard that Quebecois have a tendency to discriminate in hiring against people who might even speak perfect French but are not "pure laine" French-Canadian.

Have you lived in Eastern Canada, particularly Ontario? If so, you do find any difference in attitudes and culture as compare to BC? Perhaps my viewpoint is based only on Ontario.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#26 Feb 12, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
We are all permanent residents now - I don't think those programs are applicable but let me know if I am wrong. Also, as expensive as housing is here in Toronto, it is more in Vancouver, and none of us are Francophone, so don't really want to move to Quebec. Plus we are heard that Quebecois have a tendency to discriminate in hiring against people who might even speak perfect French but are not "pure laine" French-Canadian.
Have you lived in Eastern Canada, particularly Ontario? If so, you do find any difference in attitudes and culture as compare to BC? Perhaps my viewpoint is based only on Ontario.
There are, of course, anglophone sections of Montreal. You would never know you were in a French-speaking city when you are there.

My experience is that Quebecois tend to like English-speaking Americans, but other Canadians not-so-much. So you would probably be okay. At any rate,the gay village is welcoming to all, and much more lively than anything Toronto has to offer.
quzluz

Pittsburgh, PA

#27 Feb 12, 2013
youtube.com/watch... Get Over it,little late
we cant stop them now?

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#28 Feb 12, 2013
Wiener52 wrote:
The Canadian government is really a "piece of work", isn't it?
They really seem to have more of a "problem" with homosexuality than most developed/civilized countries.
They even tried to BAN "Money Ain't for Nothing" by Dire Straits because of the lyrics (you know, the part where they sing "That little fa gg ots got his own jet airplane, that little fa gg ot, he's a millionaire!" Honestly.
The Canadian Rock Radio Stations protested by playing that song non-stop the day after the so-called "ban" went into effect.
Unreal. What governments will do, eh?
I think you're confused.

The Canadian govt did not try to ban the Dire Straits song Money For Nothing. A lesbian, well known gay activist, complaint to the human rights commission and the CRTC that the song should not be played anymore on Canadian radio. They agreed, but after much backlash from the public and radio stations, the so called "ban" was never in place.

The current Canadian conservative govt had nothing to do with the idiotic stupid complaint or fuss.

Also, I don't understand your comment that the Canadian govt has a problem with homosexuals when this country has same sex marriage etc...In fact, the current conservative govt allowed a free vote in parliament on the matter some few yrs ago.

Location hidden

#29 Feb 12, 2013
Today oppositon leader Thomas Mulcair called evangelical Christians un-Canadian.

Mr. Mulcair, and others like him, have remained silent about islamic groups like Hizb ut Tahrir who operate and exist in Canada who have called for a "cultural jihad" on all western nations, including Canada, and have called for the death of anyone who leaves islam.

I guess he thinks they are more "Canadian" than evangelical Christians.

Location hidden

#30 Feb 12, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
In Canada thankfully we've had legal equality for same-sex marriages for a decade now, and legal protections put in place to ensure that LGBT citizens are treated equally.
The problem is that currently the Conservatives are in charge in the federal government. They are our equivalent of the USA's Republican party -- and the Conservatives often take their cues from US Republicans.
There are enough checks and balances in place in Canada, and enough fair-minded Canadians, that I expect this will get taken care of soon. The Canadian media doesn't suck up to the Conservatives the way US media tends to suck up to Republicans.
Bunch of bull.

You agree with Mulcair that evangelical Christians are so bad and so "un-Canadian" simply because they believe homosexuality is a sin? How about muslims groups calling for your death? How about muslim groups, some already in this country, who advocate radical islam and wish for a cultural jihad on all western nations? Are they more "Canadian"? As usual, the left in this country are quick to criticize anything Christian.

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#31 Feb 12, 2013
Naturally Wired wrote:
Today oppositon leader Thomas Mulcair called evangelical Christians un-Canadian.
Mr. Mulcair, and others like him, have remained silent about islamic groups like Hizb ut Tahrir who operate and exist in Canada who have called for a "cultural jihad" on all western nations, including Canada, and have called for the death of anyone who leaves islam.
Call your MP and ask about that. But be sure you can back up your allegation or you just look like a fool.

As a gay Canadian I think that any Canadian who calls for the death of others based on race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation should put their convictions on the line and move out of the country to somewhere (Uganda, for instance) where their opinions are in line with the government.

Location hidden

#32 Feb 12, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
Call your MP and ask about that. But be sure you can back up your allegation or you just look like a fool.
As a gay Canadian I think that any Canadian who calls for the death of others based on race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation should put their convictions on the line and move out of the country to somewhere (Uganda, for instance) where their opinions are in line with the government.
Thomas Mulcair calls evangelicals un-Canadian....(there are many links/news stories to is comments)

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/02/11/evangelical...

Hizb ut Tahrir in Canada...

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/arti...

“For F***'s Sake”

Since: Aug 12

Tanner Flats

#33 Feb 12, 2013
Naturally Wired wrote:
<quoted text>
Bunch of bull.
You agree with Mulcair that evangelical Christians are so bad and so "un-Canadian" simply because they believe homosexuality is a sin? How about muslims groups calling for your death? How about muslim groups, some already in this country, who advocate radical islam and wish for a cultural jihad on all western nations? Are they more "Canadian"? As usual, the left in this country are quick to criticize anything Christian.
The left-wingers seem to always remain silent, when it comes to Islam. They love to villainize Judeo Christian faiths and Western culture, especially American; but gladly look the other way over the atrocities committed by various communist regimes and Islamic theocracies. I have never met a liberal that, didn't have a penchant for third world dictators and totalitarian governments. Iran and the DPR of Korea would be a good examples, liberals love what's going there.

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#34 Feb 12, 2013
1USA1 wrote:
<quoted text>The left-wingers seem to always remain silent, when it comes to Islam. They love to villainize Judeo Christian faiths and Western culture, especially American; but gladly look the other way over the atrocities committed by various communist regimes and Islamic theocracies. I have never met a liberal that, didn't have a penchant for third world dictators and totalitarian governments. Iran and the DPR of Korea would be a good examples, liberals love what's going there.
The right assumes that anyone who speaks out against atrocities perpetrated by non-Christians HAS to be a conservative. They are wrong.

As I posted already, I'm a gay Canadian and I think anyone who promotes racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. should put their convictions on the line and move out of Canada and to a country where their opinions are in agreement with the government (like Uganda for instance.) That goes for Christians as well as Muslims and any other religion. Don't like working for peace, equality, and prosperity for all? Don't call yourself Canadian.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#36 Feb 12, 2013
Naturally Wired wrote:
Its a contest to see which group of theocratic terrorists can out-snarl the other

Location hidden

#37 Feb 12, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
Its a contest to see which group of theocratic terrorists can out-snarl the other
Not really. There are no Christian theocratic terrorist organizations in Canada. I haven't heard of any anywhere for that matter.

But that's two of you now so far who cannot answer why a leftwing politician is so easy to criticize a Christian organization for a simple non-violent belief while ignoring the moon cult.

Gay political activism is alive and well in this country forcing everyone to accept what they want and reducing other peoples freedoms.

Location hidden

#38 Feb 12, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
The right assumes that anyone who speaks out against atrocities perpetrated by non-Christians HAS to be a conservative. They are wrong.
As I posted already, I'm a gay Canadian and I think anyone who promotes racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. should put their convictions on the line and move out of Canada and to a country where their opinions are in agreement with the government (like Uganda for instance.) That goes for Christians as well as Muslims and any other religion. Don't like working for peace, equality, and prosperity for all? Don't call yourself Canadian.
If you want equality and rights, then don't forget some peoples freedom of religion. Most people never thought they would see the day in this country when gay political activists and certain politicians would try to tell evangelical Christians what scripture they are to keep and which ones they are suppose to throw away.

Mr. Mulcair is free to criticize any public funding for any religious charity but that has not what he has done. He has called people who have been a fabric of Cdn society for generations, harmless, great contributors to society, called them un-Canadian and without Canadian values simply because they think homosexuality is wrong. He has also ignored a certain other religious group in this country who definitely have those with very much "un-Canadian" values.

Personally, I also question any public funding for any religious organizations....I mean ALL of them. Mulcair has simply jumped on the band wagon of leftwing and gay hate of anything Christian.

“For F***'s Sake”

Tanner Flats

#40 Feb 12, 2013
Naturally Wired wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. There are no Christian theocratic terrorist organizations in Canada. I haven't heard of any anywhere for that matter.
But that's two of you now so far who cannot answer why a leftwing politician is so easy to criticize a Christian organization for a simple non-violent belief while ignoring the moon cult.
Gay political activism is alive and well in this country forcing everyone to accept what they want and reducing other peoples freedoms.
Good post, we have the same problem in the States.

Location hidden

#41 Feb 12, 2013
1USA1 wrote:
<quoted text>The left-wingers seem to always remain silent, when it comes to Islam. They love to villainize Judeo Christian faiths and Western culture, especially American; but gladly look the other way over the atrocities committed by various communist regimes and Islamic theocracies. I have never met a liberal that, didn't have a penchant for third world dictators and totalitarian governments. Iran and the DPR of Korea would be a good examples, liberals love what's going there.
Agreed.

In the province of Ontario, just 2 weeks ago, when the Ontario liberal party were choosing their new leader, candidate Kathryn Wynne sent out a text message to muslim delegates to vote for her. She is also a lesbian.

Some of the muslim delegates who pushed their fellow delegates to vote for her are known to be radical or at least lean towards radical islamic beliefs including the view homosexuals should be "punished".....yet they would push for a lesbian to win the vote. Wynne is regarded as far leaning left a liberal could be. Why would they vote for her??...because she is one who has agreed with muslims having islamic prayer time in many public schools.

The followers of islam, liberals and the further left are all in the same boat. Liberals and leftwingers(we have a party in Canada even further left than the liberals) push for this type of nonsense and more which helps the causes of the islamist...liberals think it's a great part of multiculturalism and inclusiveness while attacking many things that were founding cultural values of Canada.

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#42 Feb 12, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
New Hampshire has had marriage equality since 2010.
And this has "what" to do with the Canadian Government funding anti-gay religious groups and sending them overseas?

What is your point?(or what is your problem?)

“For F***'s Sake”

Tanner Flats

#43 Feb 12, 2013
Naturally Wired wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.
In the province of Ontario, just 2 weeks ago, when the Ontario liberal party were choosing their new leader, candidate Kathryn Wynne sent out a text message to muslim delegates to vote for her. She is also a lesbian.
Some of the muslim delegates who pushed their fellow delegates to vote for her are known to be radical or at least lean towards radical islamic beliefs including the view homosexuals should be "punished".....yet they would push for a lesbian to win the vote. Wynne is regarded as far leaning left a liberal could be. Why would they vote for her??...because she is one who has agreed with muslims having islamic prayer time in many public schools.
The followers of islam, liberals and the further left are all in the same boat. Liberals and leftwingers(we have a party in Canada even further left than the liberals) push for this type of nonsense and more which helps the causes of the islamist...liberals think it's a great part of multiculturalism and inclusiveness while attacking many things that were founding cultural values of Canada.
I think the main pretence, for these nonsensical agendas, are to where down all the principals that Canada and the States were founded on, ie death by a thousand cuts. Our culture stands in the way of the world moving towards a totalitarian world government, so the left-tards pair up with seemingly unlikely partners like the islamo-fascists pursuing a common agenda. Once they reach their initial goal of destroying democracy, the alliance will be over and the left-wingers will become fierce enemies with the moon colt. Call it a marriage of convenience. It is truly a double standard, when Christians are chastised for following the principles of their faith (a chosen commitment). Yet the homosexual community, can rub everybody's nose in their chosen lifestyles with impunity. I believe it's nobody's business what people do in the privacy of their bedrooms, but on the flip side, one doesn't deserve a medal pinned on their chest for flaunting it. I don't want to know what's going on in anyone's bedroom regardless of their orientation and I wouldn't use sexual orientation, to influence my social or professional interactions. I don't agree with someone's decision to be homosexual, but I don't consider my place to judge someone over it. Likewise I don't want religion forced on me either, again a personal choice, but it shouldn't be a problem for the government to assist a charitable group for humanitarian purposes over social politics. If the homosexual community has that big of a problem with it, maybe they should volunteer and the government can assist them as well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Transgender Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama calls for end to gay a conversiona therap... 3 min serfs up 79
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 4 min Frankie Rizzo 4,968
News The right therapy for LGBT youth 7 min Cordwainer Trout 8
where guys and gays hangout in jeddah (Sep '10) 16 min Sam jeddah 1,676
News Judge proposes Oregon bakery pay $135,000 to le... 1 hr NorCal Native 578
News Oregon panel considers bill banning 'gay conver... 2 hr Jaimie 78
looking for Bisexual or lesbian Fillippina in J... (Oct '12) 6 hr hotguy 56
meet here gays.(. jeddah) (Feb '10) 6 hr Hameedo 13,590
lookin for top jeddah (Jul '10) 11 hr jedd 1,810
More from around the web