Wayne County woman injured after gett...

Wayne County woman injured after getting hit by train

There are 18 comments on the WBOY-TV story from Sep 29, 2012, titled Wayne County woman injured after getting hit by train. In it, WBOY-TV reports that:

Just before 6 p.m. Saturday, a young woman was walking along the train tracks just off of James River Road heading westbound with her back towards the train.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBOY-TV.

WV Citizen

Johnson City, TN

#1 Oct 1, 2012
I have one question about this ACCIDENT. I read on one of the local news sites that there was no word as to whether or not the train operator will face charges!!!! How on earth could the operator face charges???? It is tragic and I pray for the young woman, her family, and the train operators! It isn't just hard in the one that got hit...could you imagine being the man in the train? What he has to see, live with, and absolutely no way to prevent it when one doesn't move from the tracks? I don't understand why she didn't move or if maybe there were disabilities that prevented her? I do know that a train isn't like a car, you can't stop it on a dime. I don't understand how the operator facing charges could even be a question as long as he did his part to try and warn her and TRY to stop bcuz try is about you can do in a train...just too heavy. Again, I feel for the woman and her family an mean no disrespect to them! None at all! I couldn't imagine! And I also couldn't imagine being that train operator. I just didn't understand how a train operator could be responsible if the case was that he wasn't going over speed limit and followed procedure??? And I guess this concern isn't directly toward this incident alone, but in all where a train hits someone on their tracks and did all they could do and followed procedures. It just doesn't make sense to me how you can punish a guy for going into work and doing his job everyday? Someone please help me understand this...but please remember, I am asking how the operator could be responsible and face charges if he did all he supposed to do??? Thanks in advance!
Be assured

Ashland, KY

#2 Oct 1, 2012
He will NOT be charged. The young lady had absolutely no business being near the tracks. When you trespass onto railroad property this is what happens. I hate what happened, but the fault lies solely on the trespasser.
WV Citizen wrote:
I have one question about this ACCIDENT. I read on one of the local news sites that there was no word as to whether or not the train operator will face charges!!!! How on earth could the operator face charges???? It is tragic and I pray for the young woman, her family, and the train operators! It isn't just hard in the one that got hit...could you imagine being the man in the train? What he has to see, live with, and absolutely no way to prevent it when one doesn't move from the tracks? I don't understand why she didn't move or if maybe there were disabilities that prevented her? I do know that a train isn't like a car, you can't stop it on a dime. I don't understand how the operator facing charges could even be a question as long as he did his part to try and warn her and TRY to stop bcuz try is about you can do in a train...just too heavy. Again, I feel for the woman and her family an mean no disrespect to them! None at all! I couldn't imagine! And I also couldn't imagine being that train operator. I just didn't understand how a train operator could be responsible if the case was that he wasn't going over speed limit and followed procedure??? And I guess this concern isn't directly toward this incident alone, but in all where a train hits someone on their tracks and did all they could do and followed procedures. It just doesn't make sense to me how you can punish a guy for going into work and doing his job everyday? Someone please help me understand this...but please remember, I am asking how the operator could be responsible and face charges if he did all he supposed to do??? Thanks in advance!
WV Citizen

Johnson City, TN

#3 Oct 1, 2012
Be assured wrote:
He will NOT be charged. The young lady had absolutely no business being near the tracks. When you trespass onto railroad property this is what happens. I hate what happened, but the fault lies solely on the trespasser.
<quoted text>
Thanks so much for your reply! And I am so glad you understood what I was saying and how I meant it. I, too, hate what happened, but agree. I was just so livid when I read that on the ABC local news station! I could not believe the nerve they had! And it didn't make sense to me. Again, thanks for your reply!
what

Flatwoods, KY

#4 Oct 1, 2012
Does anyone know who the young lady is?
wow

United States

#5 Oct 3, 2012
This isnt a woman, its a 19 yr old girl. By the way, there are no signs posted for no trespassing. Check the laws on that...company should be held liable as what normally occurs when an employee doesn't do their job properly.
hey

Wexford, PA

#6 Oct 3, 2012
wow wrote:
This isnt a woman, its a 19 yr old girl. By the way, there are no signs posted for no trespassing. Check the laws on that...company should be held liable as what normally occurs when an employee doesn't do their job properly.
Who didn't do they're job properly??
?

Ardsley, NY

#7 Oct 3, 2012
Who was the girl??
Sly Fox

Ashland, KY

#8 Oct 3, 2012
wow wrote:
19 years old is a woman; she is not a girl who is helpless. She made a decision to be in a very dangerous spot where she should never have been.

All railroad property is private property; just like your backyard. Do you post your backyard with No Trespassing? What if your backyard spanned 25,000 miles over 20 some odd states? Where would you put the signs? Every 100 feet? Every 50 feet? How about every 10 feet? Who gets blamed when the signs are destroyed? Littered with graffiti? It is just like the question of why the train tracks are not fenced in. How do you fence 25,000 miles of train tracks? Do you use a 10 foot fence? With razor wire? 20 foot fence? Wooden or chain link? What if somebody cuts through it? WHY didn't you put up an armor plated fence with electric current on it, 30 feet high?

No to all of the above; the responsibility lies solely with the trespasser; railroad tracks are not meant to be walked on, take a 4 wheeler out on, trestles are not meant to be used for fishing, beer drinking, levitating, short cuts, etc...

This is as bad as somebody going out and walking on the white line of I-64, or the yellow line, getting hit, and asking why WV DOH doesn't put up No Trespassing signs.

Gotta think people.
I kknow

Huntington, WV

#9 Oct 7, 2012
Sly Fox wrote:
<quoted text>
19 years old is a woman; she is not a girl who is helpless. She made a decision to be in a very dangerous spot where she should never have been.
All railroad property is private property; just like your backyard. Do you post your backyard with No Trespassing? What if your backyard spanned 25,000 miles over 20 some odd states? Where would you put the signs? Every 100 feet? Every 50 feet? How about every 10 feet? Who gets blamed when the signs are destroyed? Littered with graffiti? It is just like the question of why the train tracks are not fenced in. How do you fence 25,000 miles of train tracks? Do you use a 10 foot fence? With razor wire? 20 foot fence? Wooden or chain link? What if somebody cuts through it? WHY didn't you put up an armor plated fence with electric current on it, 30 feet high?
No to all of the above; the responsibility lies solely with the trespasser; railroad tracks are not meant to be walked on, take a 4 wheeler out on, trestles are not meant to be used for fishing, beer drinking, levitating, short cuts, etc...
This is as bad as somebody going out and walking on the white line of I-64, or the yellow line, getting hit, and asking why WV DOH doesn't put up No Trespassing signs.
Gotta think people.
The law says you have to have no trespassing signs up in order to charge someone with trespassing. It is the same with regard to liability with a dog bite. You can claim a railroad is private property, but where does it say that?

The conductor should have been watching the tracks and he would have known the details, I am sure. Regardless of not being helpless, there are still certain civil laws that apply that you are obviously not aware of.
Curious

Butler, PA

#10 Oct 8, 2012
Did they ever release a name? I've looked all over local news stations....nothing. If anyone knows please post. I know several young girls in that area. Prayers for her.
bkf

United States

#11 Jan 5, 2013
i am the girl who got hit my sugar was low and i didnt know i was also unaware of the tresspassin law i was followin diretions how is this my fault yu ppl are crazy the train driver shouldnt have lied and now he walks away while i struggle to take 1 step!!!
cornpone

Charleston, WV

#12 Jan 24, 2013
Hey BKF if you need anyone to talk to just message back on here I've gone through something similar and could maybe give you some advice or just be here to share your struggle.
bkf

United States

#13 Jan 29, 2013
cornpone wrote:
Hey BKF if you need anyone to talk to just message back on here I've gone through something similar and could maybe give you some advice or just be here to share your struggle.
i just find it funny how people think and say what they have said i didnt mean for it to happen nor did i ever try to charge the man i feel bad for him he seen that i got lucky i cant remember it at all i find it very funny how some people think but hey i guess people arnt as lucky as yu and i are to know that every day and every breath is a gift and how lucky people are to just enjoy the small things they can do and if yu would like to email me it is [email protected] im not shy but i will not be harassed any further about something i couldnt control lol
bkf

United States

#14 Jan 29, 2013
and when i got hit i was 18 i spent my birthday in the hospital on oct 7th so forget yu guys bc i didnt do anything to that man nor would i think about it nd im struggling to walk but yet i do not get mad at him so try to look at things from all points of view befor running yur jaw just sayin
Cassara

Ashland, KY

#15 Jan 29, 2013
She was helpless, idiots! Mind your own.. Shes alive, but struggling. She was struggling in the first place! Maybe you should know the whole story before thinking you know it all! Ugh! Makes me mad.. I wish you all could tell me my whole life story since you seem to know everyone elses! Please do! I want to know how its going because you have no idea. I hate people that run their mouths but I tend to stay quiet but watching a good friend of mine struggle severely then see someone saying they know something thats false.. Yea, it makes me furious! Get a life and talk about something you have knowledge about.. Please!!
bkf

United States

#16 Jan 29, 2013
Cassara wrote:
She was helpless, idiots! Mind your own.. Shes alive, but struggling. She was struggling in the first place! Maybe you should know the whole story before thinking you know it all! Ugh! Makes me mad.. I wish you all could tell me my whole life story since you seem to know everyone elses! Please do! I want to know how its going because you have no idea. I hate people that run their mouths but I tend to stay quiet but watching a good friend of mine struggle severely then see someone saying they know something thats false.. Yea, it makes me furious! Get a life and talk about something you have knowledge about.. Please!!
i really like this maybe they can further read my future lol i just guess all these people have had it all handed to them guess not every 1 is as strong as yu or i are i hope every 1 can learn as fast as yu did every 1 would be much happier (: thanks so much yur a great inspiration <3
Anon

Hadley, PA

#17 Jan 31, 2013
bkf wrote:
and when i got hit i was 18 i spent my birthday in the hospital on oct 7th so forget yu guys bc i didnt do anything to that man nor would i think about it nd im struggling to walk but yet i do not get mad at him so try to look at things from all points of view befor running yur jaw just sayin
I don't understand how you could possibly get hit my a train. I'm honestly just curious to know how it happened. It seems like you could've seen, heard, or probably even felt them coming and gotten out of the way. And why were you walking on the tracks in the first place?
bkf

United States

#18 Mar 12, 2013
i got hit bc my blood sugar went very low like a seizure i was confused dazzed didnt know what was happening and i was walking to meet someone who needed me really bad and my uncle told me to take that way
i wouldnt have been their if it wasnt important

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Train Disaster Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Upgrades to unsafe tank cars could take 15 year... Jul 13 Jack 4
News Vancouver oil terminal is not worth risk Jun '16 Medewiwin 1
News VINELAND: Afternoon police beat update includes... (Aug '08) Jun '16 smokin gun jadakiss 14
News Texas high speed train project takes land from ... May '16 Three Psyche 2
News Railroad Not Liable for Disgusting Bathroom, Tr... May '16 Half It All 2
News Today in history: Hitler commits suicide (Apr '15) May '16 John Wilkes 33
News 6-month-old rescued from collapsed building in ... May '16 Elaine 1
More from around the web