Back Then!
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Level 4

Since: Mar 13

New Market, IN

#1 May 18, 2013
Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.
The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."
The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."
She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.
Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were truly recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.
Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public property,(the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribbling's. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.
We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.
Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.
Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.
We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.
Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.
But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?..

Level 6

Location hidden

#2 May 19, 2013
I wish we would go back to the returnable bottles. I think everything tasted better in glass. If a soda in a plastic bottle gets within 6 weeks of being out of date I think it tastes like plastic. Don't let the sun hit the bottle or it will taste even worse.

Level 8

Since: Mar 12

Sugar Land, TX

#3 May 19, 2013
-ERICA- wrote:
Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.
The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."
The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."
She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.
Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were truly recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.
Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public property,(the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribbling's. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.
We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.
Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.
Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.
We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.
Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.
But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?..
I know some ladies that will get K*ck out of this...
mind if i borrow it?

(I got a profanity warning for this post lol)

“Dragon my tail.”

Since: Jun 09

Wherever

#4 May 19, 2013
JaneDear wrote:
<quoted text>
mind if i borrow it?
You can't use the 'K' word. It's on their filter.

Level 8

Sugar Land, TX

#5 May 19, 2013
covcas wrote:
<quoted text>You can't use the 'K' word. It's on their filter.
Isn't that funny? I wonder what they think it means...

“Dragon my tail.”

Since: Jun 09

Wherever

#6 May 19, 2013
JaneDear wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that funny? I wonder what they think it means...
A mod explained it to me--it has some thing to do with sex and young kids were using it -- I can't remember it all. Some sort of code word, I guess. Even worse if it's spelled without the c in it. Too funny.

Level 8

Sugar Land, TX

#7 May 19, 2013
covcas wrote:
<quoted text>A mod explained it to me--it has some thing to do with sex and young kids were using it -- I can't remember it all. Some sort of code word, I guess. Even worse if it's spelled without the c in it. Too funny.
OH! maybe that explains all the posts wanting to know if anyone wanted ki* chat (or something like that.) LOL
Learn something new everyday it seems...

Level 4

New Market, IN

#9 May 19, 2013
JaneDear wrote:
<quoted text>
mind if i borrow it?
No Feel free..Thank you for the prop! Hope your weekend went well :0)
just saying

Blacklick, OH

#10 May 20, 2013
Erica, how boring.

You forgot to copy and paste the part about how you kids took turns on the human-powered butter churn and had to fight Indians and dinosaurs on the 20 mile walk to school carrying your little brothers on your back through 8' of snow, uphill, both ways.

Level 4

New Market, IN

#11 May 20, 2013
just saying wrote:
Erica, how boring.
You forgot to copy and paste the part about how you kids took turns on the human-powered butter churn and had to fight Indians and dinosaurs on the 20 mile walk to school carrying your little brothers on your back through 8' of snow, uphill, both ways.
LOL ..I didn't have any hills to climb but it sure was cold and snowy in the winters ..Good thing my Daddy had an old jeep to take us into town and the bus didn't run if the roads were bad..Sorry I'm not entertaining enough for you ..but I'm sure if you read enough you will find some poster on here to fit you impression of the "IDEAL TOPIX POSTER" Have a wonderful week and Happy Reading :0)

Level 4

New Market, IN

#12 May 20, 2013
Man goes to see the Rabbi. "Rabbi, something terrible is happening and I have to talk to you about it."

The Rabbi asked, "What's wrong?"

The man replied, "My wife is poisoning me."

The Rabbi, very surprised by this, asks, "How can that be?"

The man then pleads, "I'm telling you, I'm certain she's poisoning me, what should I do?"

The Rabbi then offers, "Tell you what. Let me talk to her, I'll see what I can find out and I'll let you know."

A week later the Rabbi calls the man and says, "Well, I spoke to your wife. I spoke to her on the phone for three hours. You want my advice?"

The man anxiously says, "Yes."

"Take the poison," says the Rabbi.

Level 4

New Market, IN

#13 May 21, 2013
New Orleans

Jack was sitting in an airplane when another guy took the seat beside him. Jack noticed that the guy was moaning and shaking.

"What's wrong?" asked Jack.

"I've been transferred to New Orleans, Louisiana," the guy answered. "There's crazy people in New Orleans. They have shootings, rapes, robberies, gangs, race riots, drugs .... the highest crime rate."

"Hold on," Jack interrupted. "I've lived there all my life. It's not as bad as the media says. Find a nice home, go to work, mind your own business, enroll your kids in a good school and it's as safe as anywhere in the world."

The other passenger relaxed and stopped shaking for a moment and said, "Oh, thank you. I've been worried to death, but if you live there and say it's OK, I'll take your word for it. What do you do for a living?"

"Me?" said Jack. "I'm the tail gunner on a Bud Lite truck."

Level 4

New Market, IN

#15 May 21, 2013
-bona-fied- wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning Erica ... that was funny
Hi and Thank you :0)

Level 4

New Market, IN

#16 May 22, 2013
What God Looks Like

A kindergarten teacher was walking around observing her classroom of children while they were drawing pictures. As she got to one girl who was working diligently, she asked what the drawing was.

The girl replied, "I'm drawing God."

The teacher paused and said, "But no one knows what God looks like."

Without looking up from her drawing, the girl replied, "They will in a minute."

Level 4

New Market, IN

#17 May 24, 2013
My check engine light came on the other day. I popped the hood and looked, and the engine is STILL there! Silly light..

;0)

Level 6

Location hidden

#18 May 24, 2013
If you checked it and its still there what else are you suppose to do.

That was funny Erica.

Level 4

New Market, IN

#19 May 24, 2013
Opala wrote:
If you checked it and its still there what else are you suppose to do.
That was funny Erica.
LOL that's all I would know how to do anyway :0)

Level 4

New Market, IN

#20 May 25, 2013
For Sale: Wedding dress, size 8. Worn once by mistake ;0)

Level 4

New Market, IN

#21 May 25, 2013
Why did the blond use the following password:

MickeyMinniePlutoHueyLouieDewy DonaldGoofySacramento

When asked about this, the blond rolled her eyes and said “HELLO… It has to be at least 8 characters and include one capital

Level 4

New Market, IN

#23 May 26, 2013
Cold Cream

Little Johnny watched, fascinated, as his mother smoothed cold cream on her face. "Why do you do that, mommy?" he asked.

"To make myself beautiful," said his mother, who then began removing the cream with a tissue.

"What's the matter?" asked Little Johnny. "Giving up?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Olive Hill Mayor 1 hr Country Slicker 1
What is Trolling? (Feb '11) 3 hr SplasH 195
When you were sick did you ever hear or dream a... 3 hr North Mountain 5
Is Pence the AntiChrist? 4 hr flbadcatowner 7
Trump a joke for our country and Putin lives it 8 hr FireyFellow44 6
Money currency do I have a bill worth tons? Tue North Mountain 3
child support which parent is responsible ? Tue FireyFellow44 1
More from around the web