First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“AIN'T is not a word. STUPID is”

Level 1

Since: Jul 07

The Internet

#1 Nov 8, 2010
Whales are proven to be endangered. They're struggling to survive. Cutting their numbers is not helping. There are other sources of food for people to go after, namely the Japanese. If the whale, or any other major animal, goes extinct it'll hurt the entire world's foodchain. So WE will be one step closer to extinction. Besides, whales are the second most intelligent animal in the history of the world. They're special and important. Pigs nor cows are anywhere near endangerment. They are even systematically REPLENISHED
Merangel22

Buffalo, NY

#2 Nov 16, 2010
Whales should not be harmed! They are intelligent and gentle creatures, who due to their large size take a very long time in their reproduction cycles. Their numbers are declining rapidly and some species are becoming dangerously close to extinction. It is against the law to kill these animals and countries that do no obey these laws should be held accountable for violations of these laws. The southern oceans are a whale sanctuary...that means they should be able to flourish in safety from poachers (especially those pretending research)
Merangel22

Buffalo, NY

#3 Nov 18, 2010
I seriously think that something drastic needs to be done to stop the murder of whales and dolphins. Countries that use the lame excuse of 'following tradition' should join the rest of the world in the 21 century. Old traditions are worn out and do not fit into modern society (don't forget that it used to be tradition to publically have 4 horses pull offenders apart at the limbs...)If they do not comply with modern rules that are designed to preserve and protect certain species or animals from extinction, they should have trade embargos placed upon them and their goods should be boycotted. Its not right that they should profit from genocide.

Level 1

The Internet

#5 Apr 28, 2011
Save Gini

Lizemores, WV

#6 Apr 28, 2011
Save the Whales. Stop trolling Virginia

Level 1

The Internet

#7 May 1, 2011

Level 1

The Internet

#8 Aug 10, 2011
inkling wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =TaZVfMdQR7QXX Working link
"Extinction is a difficult concept to fully appreciate. What has been is no more and never shall be again. It would take another creation and billions of years to recreate the passenger pigeon. It is the loss of billions of years of evolutionary programming. It is the destruction of beauty, the obliteration of truth, the removal of uniqueness, the scarring of the sacred web of life."-Captain Watson

“I looked, and behold,”

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#9 Aug 10, 2011
Merangel22 wrote:
I seriously think that something drastic needs to be done to stop the murder of whales and dolphins. Countries that use the lame excuse of 'following tradition' should join the rest of the world in the 21 century. Old traditions are worn out and do not fit into modern society (don't forget that it used to be tradition to publically have 4 horses pull offenders apart at the limbs...)If they do not comply with modern rules that are designed to preserve and protect certain species or animals from extinction, they should have trade embargos placed upon them and their goods should be boycotted. Its not right that they should profit from genocide.
I think they should capture all the whales and dolphins and build a bunch of sea worlds around the world. That way we can keep an eye on them (sometimes even two eyes and maybe even some cameras if you wanna get all sophisticated ... like maybe even some infrared cameras and nightvision and sh1t like that, we could even guard them with bazookas and rocket turrets and tasers, but I digress) and make sure they are safe and sound.
Thought Police

Jacksonville, FL

#10 Mar 7, 2012
inkling wrote:
Whales are proven to be endangered. They're struggling to survive. Cutting their numbers is not helping. There are other sources of food for people to go after, namely the Japanese. If the whale, or any other major animal, goes extinct it'll hurt the entire world's foodchain. So WE will be one step closer to extinction. Besides, whales are the second most intelligent animal in the history of the world. They're special and important. Pigs nor cows are anywhere near endangerment. They are even systematically REPLENISHED
Some species are and some are not. The fact is that the Minke whale population has been growing in spite of the Japanese harvesting some of them. Another fact that in recent years the food source for these whales, krill, have dropped in population in recent years.
Sure, a few "scientist" claim the krill population decline is do to the Ozone Hole but maybe it is because the whales are eating them faster than they can recover which means culling the population of these whales may actually help their populations.
Much like deer populations, when food sources decrease, diseases increase and the population suffers.
I dare say many on this forum are against the hunting of any animals and probably even eating the flesh of any animal.

“...sigh”

Level 5

Since: Nov 09

Smithtown, NY

#11 Mar 7, 2012
Thought Police wrote:
<quoted text>
Some species are and some are not. The fact is that the Minke whale population has been growing in spite of the Japanese harvesting some of them. Another fact that in recent years the food source for these whales, krill, have dropped in population in recent years.
Sure, a few "scientist" claim the krill population decline is do to the Ozone Hole but maybe it is because the whales are eating them faster than they can recover which means culling the population of these whales may actually help their populations.
Much like deer populations, when food sources decrease, diseases increase and the population suffers.
I dare say many on this forum are against the hunting of any animals and probably even eating the flesh of any animal.
No, the krill population is not being reduced by whale over-population. The (total) whale numbers are frighteningly lower than ever in history. Ocean ecology is complex, dependant on temperatures, saline/freshwater content, wind directions, CO2 concentrations, and the rotation of the planet, in addition to variables within the food chain and other variables.

You make quite a few unsupported generalizations and assumptions. Perhaps you'd best listen to those "scientists", who actually take the time to research the subject at hand.

Just a suggestion.

Level 1

The Internet

#12 Nov 25, 2012
What about the prolonged pain the animals go through?

What about the japanese lying to the whole world about why they do it?

What about hunting "unreplenished" animals, and then dumping whatever meat you can't sell?

What about invading an animal's Sanctuary (where they need to breed in peace)?

What about killing not just Minke Whales, but Humpback Whales, Fin Whales, Sei Whales, Byrdes Whales, and Beaked Whales every year?

“I looked, and behold,”

Level 8

Location hidden

#14 Nov 27, 2012
I think they should stop killing the whales and focus instead on the baby seals.

:p

“I looked, and behold,”

Level 8

Location hidden

#15 Nov 27, 2012
Besides, we might need whales in case some alien probe (heh, I said probe) comes to earth, disables our power grid, and threatens to destroy the earth unless it hears a humpback whale song. If that happens and there are no whales, what good will f'ing baby seals be???

Reason number 1 to save the whales and focus on baby seals instead.

“I looked, and behold,”

Level 8

Location hidden

#17 Nov 27, 2012
Neal Caffrey wrote:
I see you like startrek
Yes, I like star trek. I've seen all the movies, I think. I like how the newest movie laid the foundation for a whole bunch more movies, with the original characters.

I use to watch the old school re-runs all the time growing up. I also sometimes watched some of the newer shows that came on tv after that one. My dad was a big fan growing up too.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#18 Nov 27, 2012
Kill the whales, everyone eats.

“I looked, and behold,”

Level 8

Location hidden

#20 Nov 28, 2012
Neal Caffrey wrote:
Star trek rules
A new one is going to be released in May of next year. They did such a good job on the last one, I have high hopes.

Level 1

The Internet

#21 Feb 4, 2013
Sign the petition to “Take strong action to stop the japanese from killing whales in the Southern Ocean Antarctic Whale Sanctuary”.
It can be found at: http://wh.gov/Vnbu
The United States asserts that it resolutely opposes whale hunting by Japan in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary, established by the International Whaling Commission and former U.S. Vice-President Gore, but has so far done little to actually bring a halt to the practice.
NOW we can join together and demand it...
Little Green Man

Blacklick, OH

#22 Feb 5, 2013
inkling wrote:
... There are other sources of food for people to go after, namely the Japanese...
Japanese give me gas.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Level 10

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#23 Feb 5, 2013
What do you have against barbecue?
Stylus

Buffalo, NY

#25 Feb 16, 2014
A coalition of scientists, animal-rights activists, and philosophers are in agreement: dolphins, second only to humans in terms of mammalian intelligence, should be considered “non-human persons” and granted due protection under law, reports The Telegraph.
At the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Vancouver, the group, led by Dr. Thomas White, was canvassing for support of their “Declaration of Cetacean Rights.”
“The similarities between cetaceans and humans are such that they, as we, have an individual sense of self,” said White, an ethics expert at Loyola Marymount University, to The Telegraph.“Dolphins are non human persons. A person needs to be an individual. If individuals count, then the deliberate killing of individuals of this sort is ethically the equivalent of deliberately killing a human being. The science has shown that individuality, consciousness, self-awareness is no longer a unique human property. That poses all kinds of challenges.”
Dolphin research has shown that the creatures are more intelligent than chimpanzees, they recognize their reflections in a mirror, and can even think about the future.
The scientists originally proposed the ten Declaration of Rights for Cetaceans two years ago at a conference in Helsinki. You can sign the petition at http://www.cetaceanrights.org/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
So comforting being small and laying on a woman... 4 min FlatbushSam 9
A-Z of "ANY WORD" that comes to mind! (Sep '12) 15 min -Sprocket- 649
Post anything using the Letter M! (Aug '12) 2 hr North Mountain 395
Is this the new Human Sexual Forum? 2 hr North Mountain 34
Is giving a Woman Oral magical ? 2 hr North Mountain 114
Being naughty 2 hr North Mountain 105
Naughty detailed sexting paragraph to send to her 2 hr North Mountain 7
More from around the web