First Prev
of 7
Next Last
TheCaptain19

New Baltimore, MI

#1 May 12, 2007
How do I change my location or even get it off my posts. I don't want it on there.

“Hi Folks!”

Since: Sep 06

Topix Headquarters

#3 May 30, 2007
TheCaptain19 wrote:
How do I change my location or even get it off my posts. I don't want it on there.
Hi there,

The location that appears with your posts is determined by your internet service provider's location. While we usually get pretty close, we don't always get it right. There is no way to remove this information from your posts, but as a registered user, you may enter your own location on your profile as well. www.topix.com/member/register

Admin @ Topix
INOU

Redmond, WA

#4 Jun 8, 2007
Top Mod wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi there,
The location that appears with your posts is determined by your internet service provider's location. While we usually get pretty close, we don't always get it right. There is no way to remove this information from your posts, but as a registered user, you may enter your own location on your profile as well. www.topix.com/member/register
Admin @ Topix
There is a poster on the SP Forum that has NO location shown with his posts.
CURIOUS

Redmond, WA

#5 Jun 15, 2007
Top Mod wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi there,
The location that appears with your posts is determined by your internet service provider's location. While we usually get pretty close, we don't always get it right. There is no way to remove this information from your posts, but as a registered user, you may enter your own location on your profile as well. www.topix.com/member/register
Admin @ Topix
If there's "no way" to remove an ISP location how is it there is NO location shown for some posters?
INOU

Redmond, WA

#6 Jun 17, 2007
Top Mod wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi there,
The location that appears with your posts is determined by your internet service provider's location. While we usually get pretty close, we don't always get it right. There is no way to remove this information from your posts, but as a registered user, you may enter your own location on your profile as well. www.topix.com/member/register
Admin @ Topix
TOPIX ADMIN. Can you please answer the question in regards to locations shown on posts. You claim here "there is no way to remove this information from posts". If that's the case why are there posts that show NO location?
girl from ipanema

Novi, Croatia

#7 Jun 17, 2007
i don't wont it there either, why is the location such issue? if you please? shouldn’t it be a question of users will and discretion? i'll be interested to see/hear the answer… for example one might wont to stay anonymous… why is that an issue? is it because of data mining? why is it?

“Hi Folks!”

Since: Sep 06

Topix Headquarters

#8 Jun 19, 2007
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
If there's "no way" to remove an ISP location how is it there is NO location shown for some posters?
Hi Again,

It depends entirely on the ISP. If they do not provide the information, it doesn't show up.

The decision was made to include location information to quell trolling in the forums and it has been successful in helping that issue.

Remember that users have the ability to post anonymously with choosing a pseudonym as a user name. Unless their isp location is the South Pole with almost no population, giving their city location should still allow them anonymity.

Admin @ Topix
butterfly effect

Senj, Croatia

#10 Jun 19, 2007
Top Mod wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Again,
It depends entirely on the ISP. If they do not provide the information, it doesn't show up.
The decision was made to include location information to quell trolling in the forums and it has been successful in helping that issue.
Remember that users have the ability to post anonymously with choosing a pseudonym as a user name. Unless their isp location is the South Pole with almost no population, giving their city location should still allow them anonymity.
Admin @ Topix
there is no such tactica on arctactica... best wishes, many thanks…
hayley3

Evanston, IN

#11 Jul 28, 2007
I feel like this is an invasion of privacy issue.
andy

Bloomington, IN

#12 Aug 13, 2007
my location is wrong..it should say in front of my computer .

Level 1

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#15 Sep 23, 2007
Top Mod wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Again,
The decision was made to include location information to quell trolling in the forums and it has been successful in helping that issue.
Admin @ Topix
I understand your point but I have to ask why then allow AOL users to post?Their ISP doesn't show to the public? and its my observation AOL users seem to abuse the system more than others. This to me is a little discriminating......I don't understand why Topix can't keep the location private and only for Topix use after all Topix is the only ones that can stop the trolling.?

Since: Sep 07

AOL

#16 Sep 26, 2007
hm well I am an AOL user for 15 years...so it is not everyone...most my spam and garbage comes from other places...
that said
I don't like location either and not only that it says I am in Chicago and I am abouyt 1,500 miles from there...so how do I change it? I filled out nothing..nothing for a profile as it won't let me anywy..strange

Nan-c

“Hi Folks!”

Since: Sep 06

Topix Headquarters

#18 Sep 27, 2007
Jeannie wrote:
<quoted text> I understand your point but I have to ask why then allow AOL users to post?Their ISP doesn't show to the public? and its my observation AOL users seem to abuse the system more than others. This to me is a little discriminating......I don't understand why Topix can't keep the location private and only for Topix use after all Topix is the only ones that can stop the trolling.?
Hi again,

We actually haven't seen a higher incidence of trolling from AOL users. More importantly, the location displayed publicly is more effective than keeping it visible only to admins because Topix relies heavily on user feedback in the form of the feedback link and/or flagging of posts to alert us to issues on the forums. We get more than 75k posts per day, and though we have a robust filter system and other tools, nothing is more effective than informed users in keeping things on track.

Admin @ Topix

vit

Since: Oct 07

West Town, Chicago

#20 Oct 12, 2007
The location issue is a problem for me too. It keeps listing that I'm located in various suburbs that I've never been to or in some cases, never even heard of. I post mainly on local (Chicago) politics and issues so having my location correct would be nice.
daddy r bucks

Charlotte, NC

#22 Dec 3, 2007
Topix either should not display it or all one to correct it. Personally, mine is correct and it has lead to people publically profiling me in topix forums and revealing my idenity. When you live in a small town and people know you, it's not to hard to figure out who you are. Your comment about Anarticia was just wrong.

I suggest you change the policy or folks will leave.

Also, I reported my case to topix and asked for the post to be removed and they were not! Thanks for the protection Topix.

Since: Jun 07

Cobleskill, NY

#23 Dec 6, 2007
i have a question about something simular.. I know that everyone has a login account but why is that topix allows these poeple to constintly post with new names each time they post.. as saying that you dont have to have an account to post.. this makes it easier for problems to arise.. I know since i have become editor for my local site and got it to become so popular in my town, but what we have now is people useing "alias" names each time they post..
Kathy SF

AOL

#24 Jan 8, 2008
Top Mod wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi again,
We actually haven't seen a higher incidence of trolling from AOL users. More importantly, the location displayed publicly is more effective than keeping it visible only to admins because Topix relies heavily on user feedback in the form of the feedback link and/or flagging of posts to alert us to issues on the forums. We get more than 75k posts per day, and though we have a robust filter system and other tools, nothing is more effective than informed users in keeping things on track.
Admin @ Topix
Hi TopMod.

You know there is software that can block your ISP address AND give bogus locations from all over the world every time you post. I happen to know it is being used to conceal certain trolls/posts on our "little forum".

This is a great concern for us.

Anyway, thanks for all your work and efforts to make Topix a great site. I love it, glitches griping and complaining and all, it's true democracy at work:-)
bigmac

Poplar Bluff, MO

#26 Jan 14, 2008
ok but mine came up and said LAN won't work on dial up connection

“Hi Folks!”

Since: Sep 06

Topix Headquarters

#27 Jan 14, 2008
Kathy SF wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi TopMod.
You know there is software that can block your ISP address AND give bogus locations from all over the world every time you post. I happen to know it is being used to conceal certain trolls/posts on our "little forum".
This is a great concern for us.
Anyway, thanks for all your work and efforts to make Topix a great site. I love it, glitches griping and complaining and all, it's true democracy at work:-)
Hi Kathy,

It is true that there are ways to conceal or misrepresent where your posts originate from, but that is actually a Terms of Service violation. That being the case, feel free to send links to posts masking the IP through the feedback system.

Admin @ Topix

Since: Apr 07

San Francisco

#28 Jan 14, 2008
Hello there Top Mod;-) Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Truth or Consequences, New Mexico Topix Forum 27 min SpiritualAbuseSan... 1
Models Needed 41 min Sherry 1
Evaluating your own farts 5 hr vallsunn 5
I'm afraid I may be alone forever! 5 hr vallsunn 3
ladies are black guys really hung like horses?? 5 hr vallsunn 7
Word association game (Sep '12) 9 hr Terrible_Herbst 838
why do asian girls dislike black guys so much 15 hr xtinatrinh 83
More from around the web