What brought you to Topix in the first place?

Posted in the Topix Forum

First Prev
of 60
Next Last
Level 6

Since: Sep 10

Location hidden

#1 Dec 1, 2010
I am curious about what made you join the Topix community. I don't want this to be a thread of finger pointing and silly attacks. Any post of that nature will be removed.

I simply want to know YOUR personal reason for coming here.
V for Visitor

Glendale, AZ

#2 Dec 1, 2010
TopMod15 wrote:
I am curious about what made you join the Topix community. I don't want this to be a thread of finger pointing and silly attacks. Any post of that nature will be removed.
I Googled my name one day, and saw that someone was using Topix to slander me with false accusations of rape, murder, and child molestation.
alley

Naugatuck, CT

#3 Dec 1, 2010
Hi.

“protect our Bill of Rights”

Since: Aug 10

Detroit, MI

#4 Dec 1, 2010
TopMod15 wrote:
I love the free expression and professional moderation that Topix offers. IMO, this is the best forum on the internet.

Every Topix employee should be commended for a job well done. This site has excellent moderators and a CEO who stands up for free speech. What more could an American ask for in a forum?
Level 6

Location hidden

#5 Dec 1, 2010
V for Visitor wrote:
<quoted text>
I Googled my name one day, and saw that someone was using Topix to slander me with false accusations of rape, murder, and child molestation.
that makes me kinda want to google my name.
Level 6

Location hidden

#6 Dec 1, 2010
alley wrote:
Hi.
Hi alley,

what brings you to Topix today?
alley

Naugatuck, CT

#7 Dec 1, 2010
I need a place to just let it out sometime ya know?
The Bad Seed

Oceanside, CA

#8 Dec 1, 2010
A friend of mine pointed out the craziness last year going on in Pasadena, I got hooked on some of the characters after that. Better than a soap opera.

Level 6

Since: Apr 10

USA

#9 Dec 1, 2010
I was idly surfing the internet and typed in "topic", but made the mistake of typing in "topix".
Level 6

Location hidden

#10 Dec 1, 2010
TheTank wrote:
I was idly surfing the internet and typed in "topic", but made the mistake of typing in "topix".
And 5000 posts later you are still around. That was one helluva typo. That's what happens when you idly surf the net.

Level 6

USA

#11 Dec 1, 2010
TopMod15 wrote:
<quoted text>
And 5000 posts later you are still around. That was one helluva typo. That's what happens when you idly surf the net.
Actually I have over 10,000 posts. I got banned for trolling, so I've decided to settle down and contribute.
get a focus group

AOL

#12 Dec 1, 2010
Any post of that nature will be removed....
I thought Chris Tolles believed in free expression. Or are you just craven
TopMod15 wrote:
<quoted text>
And 5000 posts later you are still around. That was one helluva typo.....
This is why I don't register, mods do nothing all day but snoop into your profile.

Jackass
Level 6

Location hidden

#13 Dec 1, 2010
get a focus group wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought Chris Tolles believed in free expression. Or are you just craven
<quoted text>
This is why I don't register, mods do nothing all day but snoop into your profile.
Jackass
No need for name calling. Free expression is fine. I just wanted to keep the thread on topic.

I started this on my own because I was curious and I am trying to get to know some of the regular posters better.

If you don't feel like contributing anything on topic feel free to move on to another thread. Or perhaps start a few of your own. That's what the site is for.
progressive

Lamoni, IA

#15 Dec 1, 2010
well, I am consistent. It was in the summer of 2008, and I was looking for information about the DFL convention in Minnesota, and the possible endorsement of al franken. I thought some of his SNL humor was very sexist and nasty, and did not want the DFL to endorse anyone anyhow, since I do not think that the endorsement system is necessary or helpful any more. I found the comment site on the local news station, and commented, and had no idea that it would land me on the big topix threads on U. S. politics. I had hopes of finding policy wonks and political junkies who would be interesting and informed.
progressive

Lamoni, IA

#16 Dec 1, 2010
Instead, I encountered Craig as Air Cav, I think, and resles and his sidekick and admirers. It was a shock. Then I found the high IQ forum as I call it and was very happy getting to know the very intelligent and intersting people there. I think it was about May of this year that I found the topix forum on topix, and Tank and Politically Incorrect, and Ginny, at first, and thought she was really in favor of topix reform, at first. Then I found that I had landed a small part on a sort of soap opera, and began watching the plot and participating in it somewhat. And giving a running commentary on it, and its characters, as a sort of theatre critic whose favorite line in Shakespeare is: "a plague on both your houses."

“Last of the Shada'knaz...”

Level 2

...one hell of a vengeance...

#17 Dec 1, 2010
TopMod15 wrote:
Spam. I accidentally clicked on it and I was like: "No! Spam! Aaaaargh!" and I clicked on the nearest advertisemnt to escape - voila! Topix.

“protect our Bill of Rights”

Since: Aug 10

Detroit, MI

#18 Dec 1, 2010
I never actually answered the title question, "What brought you to Topix in the first place?"

Google landed me here a couple years ago through whatever I was searching for at that time. As I mentioned in post #4, I truly enjoy being at the site. My only regret is that I didn't register sooner.

TopMod15, did you ever spend time on Topix (reading or posting) before becoming a moderator?
Level 6

Location hidden

#19 Dec 2, 2010
Tomahawk wrote:
I never actually answered the title question, "What brought you to Topix in the first place?"
Google landed me here a couple years ago through whatever I was searching for at that time. As I mentioned in post #4, I truly enjoy being at the site. My only regret is that I didn't register sooner.
TopMod15, did you ever spend time on Topix (reading or posting) before becoming a moderator?
Thanks Tomahawk.

I was a Topix user way back in the day when it was purely a news aggregator. And I have been lurking in and out of various forums for quite a while. But I haven't posted all that much.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#21 Dec 2, 2010
Boredom and Curiosity. My family was stranded in a hotel last winter due to a snow storm that knocked our electric out. A friend told me about Topix. I read everything from the beginning of 2009 and found some interesting topics. I became a member in July 2010 and I have made some really good friends here.

Thanks Mods.:)
Level 6

Location hidden

#22 Dec 2, 2010
Killer Bugs wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it based on GW Basics back then? Ha ha ha
More like LISP.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 60
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Marshall County Schools 15 min confused 1
Why do you love america 2 hr Gig 7
hey any one doing zops in grimsby (May '13) 4 hr pete 2
Covcas Morning Drive Diner & Coffee Shoppe (Nov '12) 8 hr --Rickster-- 18,508
nurses on the job stealing narcotics, how to ca... (Feb '14) Wed Janelle 2
~Last Post~ (Apr '12) Wed CJ Rocker 3,254
ln ls interchageablity Wed Henri 2
•••

Topix People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE