Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#34181 Feb 19, 2013
Junket wrote:
Kevin, do you have links? Anything I've found is dated or perhaps I'm not using the right search words.

"The expansion of the welfare state has increased the tax pressure in these countries to the highest level in the world, but despite high tax levels, the Nordic countries are among the richest in the world."

http://ftp.iza.org/dp2014.pdf

Rich sounds good to me, but not without a yardstick for comparison purposes.
They can do that in part because they piggy-back on pax-Americana, which ensures relative global peace and security for all. Like it or not, our military might provides this and until some other nation, who may or may not be as benevolent as the US, steps up to the plate and shares that responsibility or assumes it for themselves, we are stuck with that burden for the greater good. Not just militarily, but foreign aid to help stabilize and support nations.

Ask yourself why the US is providing airlift and refueling support to the French in Mali ... It's because the French do not have the means to do so for themselves.

Who else could assume that role; China... Look at who their allies are ... Look at who they protect in the UN security counsel. The progressive societies of Europe may not always like how the US operates, but they would cringe at a world dominated by Chinese foreign policy. Most of them don't even recognize this or all the benefits American hegemony, which by far outweighs instances where we have acted against global interests.

They also have a largely homogenous society with common cultural values and values of shared responsibility, but also pull your own weight and contribute to the collective good. A culture that values education. There are significant segments of our population that do not reflect these values and much more so than in Nordic countries.

“Post at your own risk”

Level 10

Since: Sep 09

Whining is unbecoming

#34182 Feb 19, 2013
Sublime! We might be viewing others from our own myopic lens. Family ties are not always possible. What if Grandma is serving time in the pen?

As far as shifting responsibility, lots of stay homes park their kids in front of various gadgets. Not exactly quality and education in many cases seems to involve thumb dexterity.

So what's the solution? Either we can make working attractive and feasible for many, or we continue to pay into welfare. Either way, taxpayers end up footing the bill. The crunched "middle class" cannot handle much more strain. There's just not enough of "us" left.

Since: Dec 11

Erstwhile

#34183 Feb 19, 2013
Junket wrote:
Sublime! We might be viewing others from our own myopic lens. Family ties are not always possible. What if Grandma is serving time in the pen?
As far as shifting responsibility, lots of stay homes park their kids in front of various gadgets. Not exactly quality and education in many cases seems to involve thumb dexterity.
So what's the solution? Either we can make working attractive and feasible for many, or we continue to pay into welfare. Either way, taxpayers end up footing the bill. The crunched "middle class" cannot handle much more strain. There's just not enough of "us" left.
HA!

I like you

You're a thinking man's liberal

Level 10

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

#34184 Feb 19, 2013
The Colonel Mustard wrote:
<quoted text>
HA!
I like you
You're a thinking man's liberal
I don't always agree with Junket's politics. But she doesn't come to conclusion based on party lines.

Level 8

Location hidden

#34186 Feb 19, 2013
Junket wrote:
I'm not viewing anything from my own myopic lens. I didn't even comment on someone whose Grandma is serving time in the pen. I was speaking about the folks who did have childcare options other than daycare. These people will be more likely to forgo it and pass of burdens on taxpayers that are not necessary. That is inefficient behavior.
Junket wrote:
Daycare isnít education, either. Kids might be more active, and what not, but itís not education. Iím not willing to pay thousands of dollars more so that some kid is in active daycare verses playing video games; nope. I think we could better invest that in education, itself.
Junket wrote:
Who do you think is going to stuck footing the bill for this? It will be the middle class. There arenít that many Donald Trumps to tax to pay for all this. Furthermore, a very wealthy person in California is already paying about 50% of any income (assuming it doesnít come from capital gains) in federal and state income tax. In many other states itís around or about 45%.

There also arenít enough of good paying jobs. What are these people going to do? We have a boat load of people who are already unemployed. To the extent quality candidates enter the market place because they have taxpayer funded childcare, that is just one less job available for someone else who wants to work and doesnít need it.

Level 8

Location hidden

#34187 Feb 19, 2013
Junket wrote:
You can look at parents who aren't very good and say such kids might be better off, but the bulk of parents are somewhere in the middle and adequate if not more than adequate.

Also, think about the amount of attention the average parent pays their infants and toddlers when they are home ó then divide this attention by the number of children in a daycare times the number of caregivers. At best, this is the amount of attention a baby or toddler can expect to receive.

How is putting the average infant and toddler in an environment where they receive far less attention than they receive with a stay at home parent, better for them?

Level 8

Location hidden

#34188 Feb 19, 2013
the perfessor wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not a good one to ask about thoughts on government involvement.
The way to get around government involvement is to increase the child care tax credit, which I support, but I don't think the credit should be 100% of all expenses. I *think* right now it is 35% of your childcare expenses, with a maximum of 3k for one child or 6k for two or more. There are phase outs too, if you make too much, which I guess is okay.

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Level 9

Since: May 07

Vincit qui se vincit

#34189 Feb 19, 2013
I posted this on another thread and thought it was worth repeating and so I'll never have to type it again...

One time me and a date were leaving a nightclub inside the Lowe's Anatole in Dallas called Mistral's, we were by ourselves on the second floor in a huge room when I started walking on my hands, I lost the car keys and by the time we made it down a long hall and to the other side of this huge hotel, then went back to look I could never find them, so we hailed a cab (first time for both of us), we decided to go over to the infamous Starck Club and catch a ride with some friends who had gone there instead, well on our way the cab driver chick failed to yield to a emergency vehicle and we almost crashed big time, we were also going the long way and I mentioned that and she belligerently said "I don't care, the meter isn't running anyway", so we finally made it and when she got there she run up over the curb, opened the door and puked!

That was my first and last cab ride lol

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#34190 Feb 19, 2013
Ricky F wrote:
I posted this on another thread and thought it was worth repeating and so I'll never have to type it again...
One time me and a date were leaving a nightclub inside the Lowe's Anatole in Dallas called Mistral's, we were by ourselves on the second floor in a huge room when I started walking on my hands, I lost the car keys and by the time we made it down a long hall and to the other side of this huge hotel, then went back to look I could never find them, so we hailed a cab (first time for both of us), we decided to go over to the infamous Starck Club and catch a ride with some friends who had gone there instead, well on our way the cab driver chick failed to yield to a emergency vehicle and we almost crashed big time, we were also going the long way and I mentioned that and she belligerently said "I don't care, the meter isn't running anyway", so we finally made it and when she got there she run up over the curb, opened the door and puked!
Ricky I have no idea what port we took shore leave but seems like it was Rhoda Spain . 3 of us got a cab an he went 10 ft , hit the cab in front of us and then the cab behind us hit us an all the drivers got out bet it was 50 and they all waved at each other got back in an all left . Was funny as hail . We of course had gotten out an watched them all leave so we had to walk to town .

Level 8

Location hidden

#34191 Feb 19, 2013
Ricky F wrote:

Nice!!

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#34192 Feb 19, 2013
lol

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#34193 Feb 19, 2013
unreals_dad wrote:
<quoted text>Ricky I have no idea what port we took shore leave but seems like it was Rhoda Spain . 3 of us got a cab an he went 10 ft , hit the cab in front of us and then the cab behind us hit us an all the drivers got out bet it was 50 and they all waved at each other got back in an all left . Was funny as hail . We of course had gotten out an watched them all leave so we had to walk to town .
It would've been great to see them break out in a fight! lol

I see cabbies flipping each other off and calling each other names all the time!

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#34194 Feb 19, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice!!
It was one of those things you just have to laugh at! lol

Level 8

Location hidden

#34195 Feb 19, 2013
watching blackhawks and this commercial cracks me up!

http://youtu.be/95txbXkzZMA

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#34196 Feb 19, 2013

Level 8

Location hidden

#34197 Feb 19, 2013
Ricky F wrote:
This one cracks me up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =xWEoqhbJVBoXX
Yeah, I saw that one during the Super Bowl, lol.

“Ruby's back yard”

Since: Jun 09

Squirrel Haven, TN

#34198 Feb 20, 2013
Good morning, sleepy babies! Time to rise and shine and let the humpin' begin!

“Post at your own risk”

Level 10

Since: Sep 09

Whining is unbecoming

#34199 Feb 20, 2013
Top of the morning, all! Humping shall now officially commence.

Colonel, thank you. Ditto. However, I think of myself as a moderate. Sublime, perhaps I'll revisit the topic later today. Thanks, Perf.

Thank you, Lady C and Lady R. <3

2822 - three of a kind!

“Ruby's back yard”

Since: Jun 09

Squirrel Haven, TN

#34200 Feb 20, 2013
Thank you Lady J and Lady R. I'm full for the day. I do believe I read somewhere that today is FlowerChild's birthday. If so, I do want to wish her a gloriously happy day and many, many more.

Since: Dec 11

Erstwhile

#34201 Feb 20, 2013
Junket wrote:
Top of the morning, Cov, Ricky, Kevin and Colonel!
I enjoy listening to Gordon. My favorite is The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =hgI8bta-7awXX
Gales of November came early.:-(
That is a good one, so dramatic, liked it forever. I think his best song, maybe even the most beautiful words ever written are in his song "If you could read my mind"

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mountain Lion in East Tn? (Feb '12) 3 hr tngirl 133
~Last Post~ (Apr '12) 4 hr CJ Rocker 3,257
Do you know Asaad Khattab? (Feb '14) 4 hr zeb 9
Daniel Thomas 4 hr Bart 4
Process your visa to any country of your choice... 6 hr mack 1
Rose of Tralee's 'Cabinet of Wonders' 6 hr Deer Whisperer 116
Covcas Morning Drive Diner & Coffee Shoppe (Nov '12) 11 hr covcas 18,530

Topix People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE