Since: Jun 10

Black Rock City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

LOL. A not so recent hiring trend by an agency that specilizes in something special was hiring anyone willing to do the work regardless of the field of a college degree. The only ones that got bounced were the pains in the butt that wanted to do it their way and were unable to follow basic orders regarding safety.

A calculator is on most phones, but I bet they ban that idea and make them get a real calculator, right? I remember people from the 80s unable to do basic math at a local high school and they still graduated. Many couldn't read either. I think it is sad not to be able to use both.
Edith Myshortz wrote:
<quoted text>Kids now have to have a calculator once they get into high school. Thathem 's why so many go on to great careers at McDonald's. The cash registers do it all for them. If you can do any kind of math in your head (the old-fashioned way), you're over qualified.
Overqualified sums it up. McDonald's does have a great training program and quick advancement, or maybe it used to. Best kick butt training I ever got as a teen though. I was a manager by the time I was 17 almost 18 in another kind of business.

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Mrs-Whitewater wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a child who is living proof that if you let them, they Will become calculator dependent.
Bright Blessings,
Mrs Whitewater
Is this a bad thing? Child can tie shoelaces and tell time? Adult now?

“No Hot pants, no problem”

Level 7

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

-Persephone- wrote:
<quoted text>Is this a bad thing? Child can tie shoelaces and tell time? Adult now?
They don't even have to do that anymore. Velcro fasteners on the shoes, and digital watches. None of that the big hand is on and the little hand is on stuff.

“T.H.I.N.K. Before you Speak”

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

With My Wife and Family

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Edith Myshortz wrote:
<quoted text>Kids now have to have a calculator once they get into high school. That's why so many go on to great careers at McDonald's. The cash registers do it all for them. If you can do any kind of math in your head (the old-fashioned way), you're over qualified.
I could not believe the amount of cashiers who could not count back change or even count up change to double check what the stupid machine is saying. I was taught old school...no calculators, most of the time, no paper....just do it in your head. But then again, maybe that is why I am soo bad at math. hheheeehehe

Mrs Whitewater

Level 8

With My Wife and Family

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

-Persephone- wrote:
<quoted text>Is this a bad thing? Child can tie shoelaces and tell time? Adult now?
Very much an adult and I believe it is not a good thing to allow children to use calculators before they are proficient at solving the equation without the help of a calculator. But that is just my opinion.

Bright Blessings,
Mrs Whitewater

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

They did that 80s.
Edith Myshortz wrote:
<quoted text>They don't even have to do that anymore. Velcro fasteners on the shoes, and digital watches. None of that the big hand is on and the little hand is on stuff.
Funny, must be a difference here. I know every little one I know can tell time.

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

I agree!
Mrs-Whitewater wrote:
<quoted text>
Very much an adult and I believe it is not a good thing to allow children to use calculators before they are proficient at solving the equation without the help of a calculator. But that is just my opinion.
Bright Blessings,
Mrs Whitewater

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

-Persephone- wrote:
Yes, especially when a calculator can't be used during certain types of math tests and the child can't do long division or multiplication......it hinders them and their success down the road!!!

Hope you are well and having a nice warm weekend:-)

“I'm the short one”

Since: Jun 09

Shady Pines Rest Home

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Mrs-Whitewater wrote:
<quoted text>
I could not believe the amount of cashiers who could not count back change or even count up change to double check what the stupid machine is saying. I was taught old school...no calculators, most of the time, no paper....just do it in your head. But then again, maybe that is why I am soo bad at math. hheheeehehe
Mrs Whitewater
I told Kristen that none of the kids working at the place we get our Christmas candy could work at McDonalds' as they would all be way over qualified. Say you get 4 or 5 different things. Each thing is in a small bag marked with the price. You take it to check out, and they're going to give you a larger brown paper bag to put it all in. They write down all the prices from each of the little bags on the brown bag. Add it all up, plus figure the sales tax and tell you what you owe. You give them the money and they count the change back to you. No calculators, and no fancy cash register with pictures on it. Oh--and say you want a quarter of a lb of something--they measure it out and weigh it on a old fashioned scale and can actually figure out how much a quarter of a lb of something that's $6 a lb should be. I absolutely love it.

Level 8

With My Wife and Family

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

covcas wrote:
<quoted text>I told Kristen that none of the kids working at the place we get our Christmas candy could work at McDonalds' as they would all be way over qualified. Say you get 4 or 5 different things. Each thing is in a small bag marked with the price. You take it to check out, and they're going to give you a larger brown paper bag to put it all in. They write down all the prices from each of the little bags on the brown bag. Add it all up, plus figure the sales tax and tell you what you owe. You give them the money and they count the change back to you. No calculators, and no fancy cash register with pictures on it. Oh--and say you want a quarter of a lb of something--they measure it out and weigh it on a old fashioned scale and can actually figure out how much a quarter of a lb of something that's $6 a lb should be. I absolutely love it.
And forget going into Walmart, going to the yardage counter and asking them for a third of a yard.....it will take them 12 minutes to figure out the 12 inches. Am I dating myself now?!

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Exactly. It's a fearful thing sometimes for kids to ask questions about WHY math is done a certain way, and what each type of equation means in simple terms.

It's really cold here. But I have someone to keep me warm. Can you send us some sunshine? Have a nice weekend.
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, especially when a calculator can't be used during certain types of math tests and the child can't do long division or multiplication......it hinders them and their success down the road!!!
Hope you are well and having a nice warm weekend:-)

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

-Persephone- wrote:
Exactly. It's a fearful thing sometimes for kids to ask questions about WHY math is done a certain way, and what each type of equation means in simple terms.
It's really cold here. But I have someone to keep me warm. Can you send us some sunshine? Have a nice weekend. <quoted text>
I'm certain that Mrs-Whitewater and I can muster up a little sunshine your direction:-)

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm certain that Mrs-Whitewater and I can muster up a little sunshine your direction:-)
Blessed be! Thank you!
Can I send you some snow? LOL

“Post at your own risk”

Level 10

Since: Sep 09

Whining is unbecoming

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

Top of the morning all!
Thank you, Lady R. <3

“I'm the short one”

Shady Pines Rest Home

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Junket wrote:
Top of the morning all!
Thank you, Lady R. <3
Best of the rest of the day to you, fair lady. A morning cup of coffee?

“Let's talk to each other:”

Level 10

Since: Apr 10

NOT about each other!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Good morning, Lady J and Lady Cov. What y'all doing up so early on Sun. morning? Glad I don't need to go outside; it's 21 out there right now. It's come down 3 degrees since 4:30. Chilly, huh? Y'all have a good'n.

“I'm the short one”

Shady Pines Rest Home

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

the perfessor wrote:
Good morning, Lady J and Lady Cov. What y'all doing up so early on Sun. morning? Glad I don't need to go outside; it's 21 out there right now. It's come down 3 degrees since 4:30. Chilly, huh? Y'all have a good'n.
BRR. That's cold, perfessor. It's 32 here. I'm wrapped up in a comforter on the sofa and drinking some coffee. Trying to get up the energy to actually do something constructive today. Don't know why I feel the need to do anything, but I'm sure there's something that needs doing.

“Post at your own risk”

Level 10

Since: Sep 09

Whining is unbecoming

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Hey Cov! Hey Perf!
Balmy 26 in central CT. S--- has finally stopped and the sun is out. Pretty in a Kincaid kinda way.

“I'm the short one”

Shady Pines Rest Home

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Junket wrote:
Hey Cov! Hey Perf!
Balmy 26 in central CT. S--- has finally stopped and the sun is out. Pretty in a Kincaid kinda way.
Did your washer get installed? You can keep the s---, people here have no idea of how to drive it. Although, it can make for a beautiful scene.

Level 10

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Morning !!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 30,301 - 30,320 of40,217
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

17 Users are viewing the Topix Forum right now

Search the Topix Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Struggling101's Game Plan On Life With A Forced... 2 hr --Rickster-- 89
Should White's Apologize to the Blacks?? (Apr '11) 3 hr Mick Musclecar 1,393
Word association game (Sep '12) 7 hr Velvet MJK 581
Become a member of ILLUMINATI and Become rich i... 8 hr ICT OFFICER 1
A-Z list of famous celebrities (May '13) 8 hr Honest Babe 750
STARBOY MUSIC RECORD LABEL NEED UPCOMING TALENT... 8 hr ICT OFFICER 1
Another Place to Say HELLO (Jan '13) 8 hr Princess Hey 2,282
•••
•••