Acolytes of Junket

“No Hot pants, no problem”

Level 7

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#32287 Dec 29, 2012
-Persephone- wrote:
I don't think they're teaching them cursive either. I remember when calculators killed the ability to do basic math.
Kids now have to have a calculator once they get into high school. That's why so many go on to great careers at McDonald's. The cash registers do it all for them. If you can do any kind of math in your head (the old-fashioned way), you're over qualified.

“Just Call It Marriage Now”

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

All rights For All!

#32288 Dec 29, 2012
-Persephone- wrote:
I don't think they're teaching them cursive either. I remember when calculators killed the ability to do basic math.
I have a child who is living proof that if you let them, they Will become calculator dependent.

Bright Blessings,
Mrs Whitewater

“<3”

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Black Rock City, NV

#32289 Dec 29, 2012
-Kevin- wrote:
<quoted text>
Bleh!
Bleh? Sup?

The antacid is in the bathroom cabinet in through the back bedroom near the puppy room.

-Kevin-
Level 10

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

#32290 Dec 29, 2012
Hello Ww. Never seen you around

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

#32291 Dec 29, 2012
LOL. A not so recent hiring trend by an agency that specilizes in something special was hiring anyone willing to do the work regardless of the field of a college degree. The only ones that got bounced were the pains in the butt that wanted to do it their way and were unable to follow basic orders regarding safety.

A calculator is on most phones, but I bet they ban that idea and make them get a real calculator, right? I remember people from the 80s unable to do basic math at a local high school and they still graduated. Many couldn't read either. I think it is sad not to be able to use both.
Edith Myshortz wrote:
<quoted text>Kids now have to have a calculator once they get into high school. Thathem 's why so many go on to great careers at McDonald's. The cash registers do it all for them. If you can do any kind of math in your head (the old-fashioned way), you're over qualified.
Overqualified sums it up. McDonald's does have a great training program and quick advancement, or maybe it used to. Best kick butt training I ever got as a teen though. I was a manager by the time I was 17 almost 18 in another kind of business.

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

#32292 Dec 29, 2012
Mrs-Whitewater wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a child who is living proof that if you let them, they Will become calculator dependent.
Bright Blessings,
Mrs Whitewater
Is this a bad thing? Child can tie shoelaces and tell time? Adult now?

“No Hot pants, no problem”

Level 7

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#32293 Dec 29, 2012
-Persephone- wrote:
<quoted text>Is this a bad thing? Child can tie shoelaces and tell time? Adult now?
They don't even have to do that anymore. Velcro fasteners on the shoes, and digital watches. None of that the big hand is on and the little hand is on stuff.

Level 8

All rights For All!

#32294 Dec 29, 2012
Edith Myshortz wrote:
<quoted text>Kids now have to have a calculator once they get into high school. That's why so many go on to great careers at McDonald's. The cash registers do it all for them. If you can do any kind of math in your head (the old-fashioned way), you're over qualified.
I could not believe the amount of cashiers who could not count back change or even count up change to double check what the stupid machine is saying. I was taught old school...no calculators, most of the time, no paper....just do it in your head. But then again, maybe that is why I am soo bad at math. hheheeehehe

Mrs Whitewater

Level 8

All rights For All!

#32295 Dec 29, 2012
-Persephone- wrote:
<quoted text>Is this a bad thing? Child can tie shoelaces and tell time? Adult now?
Very much an adult and I believe it is not a good thing to allow children to use calculators before they are proficient at solving the equation without the help of a calculator. But that is just my opinion.

Bright Blessings,
Mrs Whitewater

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

#32296 Dec 29, 2012
They did that 80s.
Edith Myshortz wrote:
<quoted text>They don't even have to do that anymore. Velcro fasteners on the shoes, and digital watches. None of that the big hand is on and the little hand is on stuff.
Funny, must be a difference here. I know every little one I know can tell time.

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

#32297 Dec 29, 2012
I agree!
Mrs-Whitewater wrote:
<quoted text>
Very much an adult and I believe it is not a good thing to allow children to use calculators before they are proficient at solving the equation without the help of a calculator. But that is just my opinion.
Bright Blessings,
Mrs Whitewater

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#32298 Dec 29, 2012
-Persephone- wrote:
Yes, especially when a calculator can't be used during certain types of math tests and the child can't do long division or multiplication......it hinders them and their success down the road!!!

Hope you are well and having a nice warm weekend:-)

“Dragon my tail.”

Since: Jun 09

Wherever

#32299 Dec 29, 2012
Mrs-Whitewater wrote:
<quoted text>
I could not believe the amount of cashiers who could not count back change or even count up change to double check what the stupid machine is saying. I was taught old school...no calculators, most of the time, no paper....just do it in your head. But then again, maybe that is why I am soo bad at math. hheheeehehe
Mrs Whitewater
I told Kristen that none of the kids working at the place we get our Christmas candy could work at McDonalds' as they would all be way over qualified. Say you get 4 or 5 different things. Each thing is in a small bag marked with the price. You take it to check out, and they're going to give you a larger brown paper bag to put it all in. They write down all the prices from each of the little bags on the brown bag. Add it all up, plus figure the sales tax and tell you what you owe. You give them the money and they count the change back to you. No calculators, and no fancy cash register with pictures on it. Oh--and say you want a quarter of a lb of something--they measure it out and weigh it on a old fashioned scale and can actually figure out how much a quarter of a lb of something that's $6 a lb should be. I absolutely love it.

Level 8

All rights For All!

#32300 Dec 29, 2012
covcas wrote:
<quoted text>I told Kristen that none of the kids working at the place we get our Christmas candy could work at McDonalds' as they would all be way over qualified. Say you get 4 or 5 different things. Each thing is in a small bag marked with the price. You take it to check out, and they're going to give you a larger brown paper bag to put it all in. They write down all the prices from each of the little bags on the brown bag. Add it all up, plus figure the sales tax and tell you what you owe. You give them the money and they count the change back to you. No calculators, and no fancy cash register with pictures on it. Oh--and say you want a quarter of a lb of something--they measure it out and weigh it on a old fashioned scale and can actually figure out how much a quarter of a lb of something that's $6 a lb should be. I absolutely love it.
And forget going into Walmart, going to the yardage counter and asking them for a third of a yard.....it will take them 12 minutes to figure out the 12 inches. Am I dating myself now?!

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

#32301 Dec 29, 2012
Exactly. It's a fearful thing sometimes for kids to ask questions about WHY math is done a certain way, and what each type of equation means in simple terms.

It's really cold here. But I have someone to keep me warm. Can you send us some sunshine? Have a nice weekend.
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, especially when a calculator can't be used during certain types of math tests and the child can't do long division or multiplication......it hinders them and their success down the road!!!
Hope you are well and having a nice warm weekend:-)

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#32302 Dec 29, 2012
-Persephone- wrote:
Exactly. It's a fearful thing sometimes for kids to ask questions about WHY math is done a certain way, and what each type of equation means in simple terms.
It's really cold here. But I have someone to keep me warm. Can you send us some sunshine? Have a nice weekend. <quoted text>
I'm certain that Mrs-Whitewater and I can muster up a little sunshine your direction:-)

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

#32303 Dec 29, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm certain that Mrs-Whitewater and I can muster up a little sunshine your direction:-)
Blessed be! Thank you!
Can I send you some snow? LOL

Level 10

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#32304 Dec 30, 2012
Top of the morning all!
Thank you, Lady R. <3

“Dragon my tail.”

Since: Jun 09

Wherever

#32305 Dec 30, 2012
Junket wrote:
Top of the morning all!
Thank you, Lady R. <3
Best of the rest of the day to you, fair lady. A morning cup of coffee?

“Let's talk to each other:”

Level 10

Since: Apr 10

NOT about each other!

#32306 Dec 30, 2012
Good morning, Lady J and Lady Cov. What y'all doing up so early on Sun. morning? Glad I don't need to go outside; it's 21 out there right now. It's come down 3 degrees since 4:30. Chilly, huh? Y'all have a good'n.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sleep Apnea Exercises.... WTF? 4 hr Dan 1
Fabulous Fred Forum 9 hr North Mountain 3
risperdal risperdole (Jul '14) 10 hr VICTIM 169
Word association game (Sep '12) 11 hr Honest Babe 1,272
~Last Post~ (Apr '12) 16 hr Alex Nicole 3,777
Too many ads Mon North Mountain 2
Poll Any horny girls want to trade nudes through text? (Jul '14) Sun splashdick11 4
More from around the web