Comments
30,281 - 30,300 of 41,125 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

Level 8

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#32280 Dec 29, 2012
covcas wrote:
<quoted text>I love it, too. It's nice and they won't let the kids that do it accept tips. It's just part of the service they offer. Although I will say I was slightly upset one time when I had my arm in a cast from hand up past the elbow and they didn't offer. LOL--that was mild compared to the fact that at the time we used those big old printers at work that used 50 lb boxes of green bar paper and I had to fire the guy that was supposed to do that. Luckily, the other guys I worked with (many my superiors) were nice enough to do it for me. I even had one guy come into my office and see me typing and he said "My God! You type faster with one hand than most people do with two hands." And that's true. When I left one job, they had to hire 3 people to do the work I was doing. Hmm. Wonder why I left????
I never take them up on the offer.

How many words a minute do you type?

“Wolves in the moonlight”

Since: Jun 09

Cov's hooking workshop

#32281 Dec 29, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I never take them up on the offer.
How many words a minute do you type?
Somewhere around 110. And you should see me fly on a calculator! I guess I have some skills (old as they may be) that could be used. I could work parttime for the IRS during tax season. I don't necessarily enjoy doing it, but I can. My second year typing teacher wrote in my yearbook that she hoped I never had to type for a living! LOL--she should see me now. She'd be amazed. My short-hand teacher in high school was married to General Shalikashvili. I had no idea until many, many years later when he passed away and I read his obit. I had to ask someone of she was related. Like I'd suddenly grown a third eye in the middle of my forehead == "you didn't know she was his wife???" Heck I never knew what her husband did. She was just a teacher--a good one, I might add.

Level 8

Location hidden

#32282 Dec 29, 2012
covcas wrote:
<quoted text>Somewhere around 110. And you should see me fly on a calculator! I guess I have some skills (old as they may be) that could be used. I could work parttime for the IRS during tax season. I don't necessarily enjoy doing it, but I can. My second year typing teacher wrote in my yearbook that she hoped I never had to type for a living! LOL--she should see me now. She'd be amazed. My short-hand teacher in high school was married to General Shalikashvili. I had no idea until many, many years later when he passed away and I read his obit. I had to ask someone of she was related. Like I'd suddenly grown a third eye in the middle of my forehead == "you didn't know she was his wife???" Heck I never knew what her husband did. She was just a teacher--a good one, I might add.
Wow, that's so fast! I think I am probably around 60, but I don't know for sure.

We didn't have shorthand when I was in school, and with computers becoming so predominate, I don't think they are even teaching kids cursive anymore. It is amazing how much things have changed in such a short amount of time.

That's a very interesting story too.

“<3”

Level 9

Since: Jun 10

Black Rock City, NV

#32283 Dec 29, 2012
I don't think they're teaching them cursive either. I remember when calculators killed the ability to do basic math.

Level 10

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

#32284 Dec 29, 2012
-Persephone- wrote:
I don't think they're teaching them cursive either. I remember when calculators killed the ability to do basic math.
Bleh!

“T.H.I.N.K. Before you Speak”

Level 8

Since: Sep 08

With My Wife and Family

#32285 Dec 29, 2012
Hey Hey Hey.....guess what all???

My honey bought me a new hard drive and now, "I'm Back!" I wonder how long it will take me to get into trouble? lol

Anyways, hi all!

Bright Blessings,
Mrs Whitewater

“No Hot pants, no problem”

Level 7

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#32286 Dec 29, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, that's so fast! I think I am probably around 60, but I don't know for sure.
We didn't have shorthand when I was in school, and with computers becoming so predominate, I don't think they are even teaching kids cursive anymore. It is amazing how much things have changed in such a short amount of time.
That's a very interesting story too.
I can type, too. But not that fast. Cov has many talents, but sometimes she hides them under a bush. Me--I just show the bush.

Level 7

Location hidden

#32287 Dec 29, 2012
-Persephone- wrote:
Kids now have to have a calculator once they get into high school. That's why so many go on to great careers at McDonald's. The cash registers do it all for them. If you can do any kind of math in your head (the old-fashioned way), you're over qualified.

Level 8

With My Wife and Family

#32288 Dec 29, 2012
-Persephone- wrote:
I have a child who is living proof that if you let them, they Will become calculator dependent.

Bright Blessings,
Mrs Whitewater

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

#32289 Dec 29, 2012
-Kevin- wrote:
<quoted text>
Bleh!
Bleh? Sup?

The antacid is in the bathroom cabinet in through the back bedroom near the puppy room.

Level 10

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

#32290 Dec 29, 2012
Hello Ww. Never seen you around

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

#32291 Dec 29, 2012
LOL. A not so recent hiring trend by an agency that specilizes in something special was hiring anyone willing to do the work regardless of the field of a college degree. The only ones that got bounced were the pains in the butt that wanted to do it their way and were unable to follow basic orders regarding safety.

A calculator is on most phones, but I bet they ban that idea and make them get a real calculator, right? I remember people from the 80s unable to do basic math at a local high school and they still graduated. Many couldn't read either. I think it is sad not to be able to use both.
Edith Myshortz wrote:
<quoted text>Kids now have to have a calculator once they get into high school. Thathem 's why so many go on to great careers at McDonald's. The cash registers do it all for them. If you can do any kind of math in your head (the old-fashioned way), you're over qualified.
Overqualified sums it up. McDonald's does have a great training program and quick advancement, or maybe it used to. Best kick butt training I ever got as a teen though. I was a manager by the time I was 17 almost 18 in another kind of business.

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

#32292 Dec 29, 2012
Mrs-Whitewater wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a child who is living proof that if you let them, they Will become calculator dependent.
Bright Blessings,
Mrs Whitewater
Is this a bad thing? Child can tie shoelaces and tell time? Adult now?

Level 7

Location hidden

#32293 Dec 29, 2012
-Persephone- wrote:
<quoted text>Is this a bad thing? Child can tie shoelaces and tell time? Adult now?
They don't even have to do that anymore. Velcro fasteners on the shoes, and digital watches. None of that the big hand is on and the little hand is on stuff.

Level 8

With My Wife and Family

#32294 Dec 29, 2012
Edith Myshortz wrote:
<quoted text>Kids now have to have a calculator once they get into high school. That's why so many go on to great careers at McDonald's. The cash registers do it all for them. If you can do any kind of math in your head (the old-fashioned way), you're over qualified.
I could not believe the amount of cashiers who could not count back change or even count up change to double check what the stupid machine is saying. I was taught old school...no calculators, most of the time, no paper....just do it in your head. But then again, maybe that is why I am soo bad at math. hheheeehehe

Mrs Whitewater

Level 8

With My Wife and Family

#32295 Dec 29, 2012
-Persephone- wrote:
<quoted text>Is this a bad thing? Child can tie shoelaces and tell time? Adult now?
Very much an adult and I believe it is not a good thing to allow children to use calculators before they are proficient at solving the equation without the help of a calculator. But that is just my opinion.

Bright Blessings,
Mrs Whitewater

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

#32296 Dec 29, 2012
They did that 80s.
Edith Myshortz wrote:
<quoted text>They don't even have to do that anymore. Velcro fasteners on the shoes, and digital watches. None of that the big hand is on and the little hand is on stuff.
Funny, must be a difference here. I know every little one I know can tell time.

“<3”

Level 9

Black Rock City, NV

#32297 Dec 29, 2012
I agree!
Mrs-Whitewater wrote:
<quoted text>
Very much an adult and I believe it is not a good thing to allow children to use calculators before they are proficient at solving the equation without the help of a calculator. But that is just my opinion.
Bright Blessings,
Mrs Whitewater

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Level 9

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#32298 Dec 29, 2012
-Persephone- wrote:
Yes, especially when a calculator can't be used during certain types of math tests and the child can't do long division or multiplication......it hinders them and their success down the road!!!

Hope you are well and having a nice warm weekend:-)

“Wolves in the moonlight”

Since: Jun 09

Cov's hooking workshop

#32299 Dec 29, 2012
Mrs-Whitewater wrote:
<quoted text>
I could not believe the amount of cashiers who could not count back change or even count up change to double check what the stupid machine is saying. I was taught old school...no calculators, most of the time, no paper....just do it in your head. But then again, maybe that is why I am soo bad at math. hheheeehehe
Mrs Whitewater
I told Kristen that none of the kids working at the place we get our Christmas candy could work at McDonalds' as they would all be way over qualified. Say you get 4 or 5 different things. Each thing is in a small bag marked with the price. You take it to check out, and they're going to give you a larger brown paper bag to put it all in. They write down all the prices from each of the little bags on the brown bag. Add it all up, plus figure the sales tax and tell you what you owe. You give them the money and they count the change back to you. No calculators, and no fancy cash register with pictures on it. Oh--and say you want a quarter of a lb of something--they measure it out and weigh it on a old fashioned scale and can actually figure out how much a quarter of a lb of something that's $6 a lb should be. I absolutely love it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Covcas Morning Drive Diner & Coffee Shoppe (Nov '12) 2 hr --Rickster-- 18,446
the bullshit 1997 THEN ON 3 hr EX WORKER 1
Chris Tolles - your Politix site is a joke (Jan '13) 5 hr truth 152
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie marry in secret? 9 hr Tuco Blondie 4
Rose of Tralee's 'Cabinet of Wonders' 11 hr Rose of Tralee 44
kerkoj gra goca mami ne london 13 hr albi london 1
PCA Mill Accident 13 hr Marge 5
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••