What is Trolling?
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Level 5

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#1 Feb 10, 2011
I wanted to start a discussion about Trolling.

(I know, I know, I'm asking for it. Lol.)

I have come to learn more and more about this phenomena on Topix. I was called a troll for a long time, and I fought this label, because to me, all trolls were big, school-yard bullies like the PT, who run around clobbering people with their bully-fists, commenting after literally every time I commented.

It seemed to me, that I should be able to comment, without having someone punch me. It seemed to me, that I should not have to put up with someone saying something mean, derogatory, confrontational, cruel etc., every time I said something.

However, all the time I have spent on Topix has proven one thing to me, that what I, Virginia Hoge say, freaks the heck of out some people so badly, they want to make Sure no one believes me. That is a compliment, I guess, although I still would prefer less punches.

But I have also learned from all these punches, how to counter-punch back pretty well, and so there was a lesson there from the experience of being the PT's punching bag. The punching bag is only a punching bag, in their perception of the experience. Change the perception, and the pain is lessened.

I have also come to believe that to be a troll is not a bad thing at all, that in fact trolls for the most part are cool people who fight back, like I do.

And by and large, trolls are kind-hearted people. Its an irony for sure, but its real.

But I would like to hear what people have to say about the boundaries of trolling, what they feel they should be?
CinnamonGum

Cave Creek, AZ

#2 Feb 10, 2011
One person's "troll" is another person's "brave commentator."

Level 5

Location hidden

#3 Feb 10, 2011
CinnamonGum wrote:
One person's "troll" is another person's "brave commentator."
Yes.

Define brave commentator.
CinnamonGum

Cave Creek, AZ

#4 Feb 10, 2011
"Trolling" doesn't mean "acting like a big ugly bully" - acting like a smelly, ugly troll.

"Trolling"... is a fishing term, referring to a method of fishing where one or more fishing lines, baited with lures or bait fish, are drawn through the water.

On the Internet, "trolling" should be thought of as throwing out comments intended to lure more comments - to get a bite, usually a hot-headed reaction.

Ponder that for a moment.

A good decent person could be said to be trolling by making thoughtful, brave comments condemning racism... on the KKK's website.

Level 5

Location hidden

#5 Feb 10, 2011
CinnamonGum wrote:
"Trolling" doesn't mean "acting like a big ugly bully" - acting like a smelly, ugly troll.
For you, yes.
"Trolling"... is a fishing term, referring to a method of fishing where one or more fishing lines, baited with lures or bait fish, are drawn through the water.
On the Internet, "trolling" should be thought of as throwing out comments intended to lure more comments - to get a bite, usually a hot-headed reaction.
No, that is not the only reason people troll. Trolling is also countering someone's opinion, knocking that person down etc. That is the main reason people troll.
Ponder that for a moment.
Sure.
A good decent person could be said to be trolling by making thoughtful, brave comments condemning racism... on the KKK's website.
True.

Level 5

Location hidden

#6 Feb 10, 2011
But you are not a good decent person. You make comments like this one, CinnamonGum:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/topix/TQIG4AU...

"Is Ginny Hoge going to get cancer of the vagina, just like Patti Foster?"

To mock a sick person is sickening. This is past the boundaries of trolling, I believe.
CinnamonGum

Cave Creek, AZ

#7 Feb 10, 2011
Virginia Olive Hoge wrote:
To mock a sick person is sickening.
I was mocking... YOU.

Level 5

Location hidden

#8 Feb 10, 2011
CinnamonGum wrote:
<quoted text>
I was mocking... YOU.
"CinnamonGum: Is Ginny Hoge going to get cancer of the vagina, just like Patti Foster?"

this is not mocking, this is worse.

Patti is my friend, former Topix Keeper and former Topix Editor of the Black Crows forum. She is sick, you have insulted her.
CinnamonGum

Cave Creek, AZ

#9 Feb 10, 2011
<quoted text>
"CinnamonGum: Is Ginny Hoge going to get cancer of the vagina, just like Patti Foster?"
this is not mocking, this is worse.
Patti is my friend, former Topix Keeper and former Topix Editor of the Black Crows forum. She is sick, you have insulted her.
So, she's in Houston, at the Memorial Hermann Cancer Center? Interesting. Sounds like she's in BAD shape. Too bad. Do you think that her obsession with Topix got to her, the same way your obsession with Topix may get to YOU?

Level 5

Location hidden

#10 Feb 10, 2011
CinnamonGum wrote:
<quoted text>
So, she's in Houston, at the Memorial Hermann Cancer Center? Interesting. Sounds like she's in BAD shape.
She is improving actually, you didn't ask but I am telling you.
Too bad.

Save us your fake feeling.
Do you think that her obsession with Topix got to her,
I was an eye-witness to the insane levels of abusive trolling Patti was subject to and yes, I feel this contributed to her illness.
the same way your obsession with Topix may get to YOU?
My obsession with Topix? What you really are saying is do I think your abusive trolling of me will make me sick. No, it will not. You are a raving lunatic. Thats your problem, not mine.
CinnamonGum

Cave Creek, AZ

#11 Feb 10, 2011
I was an eye-witness to the insane levels of abusive trolling Patti was subject to and yes, I feel this contributed to her illness.
So... she was a completely innocent bystander, minding her own business, when all of a sudden, all these mean trolls just jumped out and attacked her for no reason?

Is that what I'm hearing you say?

Level 5

Location hidden

#12 Feb 10, 2011
CinnamonGum wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm done talking with you, PT. I've had my fill of your lunacy today.
CinnamonGum

Cave Creek, AZ

#13 Feb 10, 2011
<quoted text>
I'm done talking with you, PT. I've had my fill of your lunacy today.
That's right, run away, and put out yet another one of you HUNDREDS of BS vows to "ignore the PT from now on."
CinnamonGum

Cave Creek, AZ

#14 Feb 10, 2011
THAT'S why you feel such a close kinship with Patti... you two both think you are completely innocent people, abused and torment by mean people for no reason whatsoever.

When, in fact, you are both sociopaths, anti-social monsters, predators.

You two are both alike. At this rate, you two will share similar fates: dying, sad and alone, rejected by family, of a painful and relentless illness.

So sad!

Level 5

Location hidden

#15 Feb 14, 2011
Another day on Topix, another threat of physical assault:

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TNFRBC9...

"Booga: My batteries are all dead. I am only stroking. Shall I run over and give you a thrill?"

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TNFRBC9...

"Booga: Not just watch. I will let you have hands on experience and I will let you lick it. I can be at your place in half hour. How far you from Colorado Blvd? I will drive fast."

This is below-the-belt trolling, these are threats. A line has to be drawn on Topix, as to the ability of trolls to make threats of physical harm.

I am sorry I have to be a guinea pig, as to whom these threats are directed at, but that is how it is. So be it.

Level 5

Location hidden

#17 Feb 14, 2011
CinnamonGum wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't HAVE to be. You CHOOSE to be.
No! I do not.

I do not choose to have violent threats leveled at me. I choose, to persist despite them, that is what I choose.

I do this for the specific reason, that making violent threats of harm to someone, is dead-wrong.

This should be a no-brainer, but for some loop-hole, it is not yet here on Topix. You cannot threaten someone with violent, physical harm. duh.

Level 5

Location hidden

#18 Feb 14, 2011
Another day on Topix, another threat to hack my computer and put a virus onto it... Yikes!!:

http://www.topix.com/forum/news/topix/TF0C4BK...

"CinnamonGum: You're next! Hope your computer is locked down tight, sunshine!

;)"
Perry Noid

Oceanside, CA

#20 Feb 14, 2011
I wanted to start a discussion about Trolling.....
Someone like attention.

Level 5

Location hidden

#21 Feb 15, 2011
Another day on Topix, another threat, this time that someone hacked into my computer directly from the Topix website. Yikes!!

<quoted text>
Ok Topix god. Time to show you the way to the door.

"RONALD J FLEISHMAN
I AM NOT INSANE!

I hear someone hacked into yo' computer directly from the Topix website.

You're SO brave to fight for this important cause.

(I sure HOPE it's important,'cuz every hour spent here is an hour of your life you ain't NEVER gettin' back, honey-child.)"

Yes, Topix god, you are insane.

Level 5

Location hidden

#22 Feb 15, 2011
Right in front of the Mod, no less.

Is this trolling that is, ummmm, ok?

I don't think so. Hacking is not cool.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mega Fort 1 hr La Femme Accident 5,216
Campfire Memories 1 hr La Femme Accident 4,001
Joe Biden's VAWA Law Is Just A Mechanism Of Soc... (Sep '14) 9 hr Chuck 20
~Last Post~ (Apr '12) 14 hr -Sprocket- 3,414
Poll Have You Ever Been Shadowbanned in Your Own Forum? 19 hr Red_Forman 0
Word association game (Sep '12) Fri Honest Babe 1,014
Where would you like to see User Forums next? Fri Zani Grey 15
More from around the web