|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

KnightPirate wrote:
<quoted text>
When my grandfather retired I asked him what he did all day. "I get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with about half of it done."
People told me I was retiring too young and that I would get bored if I didn't work. I would just look at them and say, " I'm a big believer in doing nothing, in fact, I excel at it."
Rickster

Fairfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Flower-Child wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah, this stuff ...
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-mercurochrome...
That stuff hurt like hell. It got to the point I stopped telling my mom I got cut or scraped. Why add to the pain. I think that's why they tortured us with that stuff. Trying to toughen us up. Now if you tried to put that on a kid, the kid would have you arrested for child abuse.

“Wolves in the moonlight”

Since: Jun 09

Cov's hooking workshop

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

LOL--the two boys took my kitchen chairs into Buzz's room and have made a tent. Now they're in there in the dark and daddy's telling his son ghost stories. Adventures in paradise! Kristen and her husband have retired downstairs to ummm, watch movies or whatever it is newly weds do. Breakfast orders are in--bacon (who'd thunk it?), scrambled eggs with cheese and pancakes. I'm going to have to get up early and make a run to the store. I'm out of bacon and low on eggs. Might need more syrup,too. Gotta make some pigs in blankets for snacking, too.
Rickster

Fairfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

covcas wrote:
<quoted text>Last night I learned a lot about fly fishing. Hope I'm going to learn some more good stuff tonight. You guys rock! Can I fix you anything while you chat? And watch out--some of the gals know as much about this kind of stuff as you guys. I didn't know you could buy ammo on the internet. Can you buy guns, too? If so, are there restrictions of any kind. Not that I want one, but it's interesting to learn about different hobbies and likes that people have. Rock on!
Sure, can you make me a salad. I had a big lunch and need to keep it light.

I'm pretty sure Californians can't buy firearms on the internet. We have some pretty strict gun laws here. However, as of now, ammo can still be purchased online. That's great if you want to buy in bulk. Say 100 or more rounds. The 100 rounds of 500 ammo i bought wasn't cheap, but cheaper than I could get here and it should last a while. About 15 shots is all I ever want to shoot of that gun at one time. I shot 25 rounds once and my hand hurt for about three hours afterward.

Level 7

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Guess I'm headed to bed all. Good night! See ya later :)

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Since: Jan 12

Barbi & Baron

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Rickster wrote:
<quoted text>
That stuff hurt like hell. It got to the point I stopped telling my mom I got cut or scraped. Why add to the pain. I think that's why they tortured us with that stuff. Trying to toughen us up. Now if you tried to put that on a kid, the kid would have you arrested for child abuse.
Oh, God. I remember that stuff. My Mom knew better, but both Grandmas put it on my knees or other areas where I got scraped or cut. "Slight sting?" Yeah, like when a doctor says, "this may be a little uncomfortable." lol

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Since: Jan 12

Barbi & Baron

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

covcas wrote:
LOL--the two boys took my kitchen chairs into Buzz's room and have made a tent. Now they're in there in the dark and daddy's telling his son ghost stories. Adventures in paradise! Kristen and her husband have retired downstairs to ummm, watch movies or whatever it is newly weds do. Breakfast orders are in--bacon (who'd thunk it?), scrambled eggs with cheese and pancakes. I'm going to have to get up early and make a run to the store. I'm out of bacon and low on eggs. Might need more syrup,too. Gotta make some pigs in blankets for snacking, too.
It's so nice that you take care of your family like that, Covcas. I've also enjoyed cooking for my family. There's nothing like hearing, "MMMM...this is soooo good!"
Rickster

Fairfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, God. I remember that stuff. My Mom knew better, but both Grandmas put it on my knees or other areas where I got scraped or cut. "Slight sting?" Yeah, like when a doctor says, "this may be a little uncomfortable." lol
Yep, that's the stuff.

Cov's hooking workshop

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Rickster wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, can you make me a salad. I had a big lunch and need to keep it light.
I'm pretty sure Californians can't buy firearms on the internet. We have some pretty strict gun laws here. However, as of now, ammo can still be purchased online. That's great if you want to buy in bulk. Say 100 or more rounds. The 100 rounds of 500 ammo i bought wasn't cheap, but cheaper than I could get here and it should last a while. About 15 shots is all I ever want to shoot of that gun at one time. I shot 25 rounds once and my hand hurt for about three hours afterward.
Salad it is! Are you talking about a pistol or a rifle? My dad had many rifles in a beautiful (locked) gun cabinet when I was growing up. He hunted deer, rabbit, pheasant and duck. We sure never went hungry! We were taught not to touch them from an early age and none of us ever did! My brother used to go hunting with my dad all the time, too. It was a real good bonding thing for them, as he was actually our step-dad. A good man. I miss him.

Cov's hooking workshop

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>It's so nice that you take care of your family like that, Covcas. I've also enjoyed cooking for my family. There's nothing like hearing, "MMMM...this is soooo good!"
My family is everything to me. And I do sort of spoil them, but I enjoy it and they certainly don't complain about the cooking I do! I love having everyone over for a meal. It just makes me feel good. It's all about making memories. Hopefully, I'll remember as I get older, but more important for the younger ones, they'll remember and pass it on by doing the same for their families.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

covcas wrote:
<quoted text>I wanted to have spaghetti, but his sister wants to make that for him. Kitchen is all clean now. Not much leftover, either. My great-grandson's daddy is home on leave from the Army before he has to leave for Korea. So it's nice to have everyone here and enjoying themselves. He was telling me he'll fly non-stop from Atlanta to Korea. A 15 hour flight. That's going to be quite a trip for someone who's never been on a plane before. I don't envy him that flight at all.
Oh my god! He's off to the adventure of a lifetime! Wait until you see how it changes him! He'll never the be the same as he is right now. Next time you see him, he'll be quite the worldly young man. It reminds of the first time I ever went to sea.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

s/b reminds ME of the first time...

I keep leaving out words. It's annoying.
Rickster

Fairfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

covcas wrote:
<quoted text>Salad it is! Are you talking about a pistol or a rifle? My dad had many rifles in a beautiful (locked) gun cabinet when I was growing up. He hunted deer, rabbit, pheasant and duck. We sure never went hungry! We were taught not to touch them from an early age and none of us ever did! My brother used to go hunting with my dad all the time, too. It was a real good bonding thing for them, as he was actually our step-dad. A good man. I miss him.
The 500 is a revolver (pistol). It's a .50 caliber magnum handgun. The largest and most powerfull handgun round produced. I have many firearms but, that one is a brut. It has as much kick as my 30.06 rifle except you're trying to hold onto it with just two hands on the pistol grip. I've got some funny stories about people shooting it. Thank God no one ever dropped it. With the red dot sight the total gun comes to around $1300.00 So I wouldn't want to see it hit the ground.

I have a step son that I helped raise. His father was never around so I taught him to hunt and fish and other manly things. Now, I have two step grand daughters from him. His mother and I are no longer together but, he and I are still close.

Cov's hooking workshop

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

_RandMan_ wrote:
<quoted text>Oh my god! He's off to the adventure of a lifetime! Wait until you see how it changes him! He'll never the be the same as he is right now. Next time you see him, he'll be quite the worldly young man. It reminds of the first time I ever went to sea.
He's already so different just after basic and his AIT. Right now he's just so full of passion for the military and his opportunities. He's a great kid and has so much potential. And his son absolutely adores him.

Cov's hooking workshop

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Hope everyone in the NW and CA stays safe. Please let us know you're ok whenever you get the chance. To the rest of you, have a pleasant night and I'll "see" you in the morning. Good night!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Rickster wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I have. I did find a good place on the internet for the 500 ammo at about $2.60 per round. Around here they want between $4.00 and $5.00 a round if you can even find it. They also have good prices on other ammo too.
Have you ever thought about getting a reloading press?.44 magnums run about $1.50 but I can pack my own for about 25 cents apiece. You've got hundreds of different bullets to choose from and you've got your choice of powders too. I like to load 'em about 5% hotter than the pistol is rated for. It's a heavy frame S&W and I know it can take the pressure. I weigh each charge individually though. It's so easy to burn through a hundred bucks worth of ammo in no time at all with factory loads.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

covcas wrote:
Hope everyone in the NW and CA stays safe. Please let us know you're ok whenever you get the chance. To the rest of you, have a pleasant night and I'll "see" you in the morning. Good night!
I'm home and this is where I'm staying tonight. Looks like I'm going to miss "Rolled Ones and Cold Ones" night down at Thompson's Corner.

“Hopping around Topix”

Since: Nov 08

On The Highway To Hell

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

covcas wrote:
<quoted text>Never too late or too early around here, Wabbit. Care to make that a bacon cheeseburger. Or swiss cheese with sauteed mushrooms on it? We can get fancy or plain around here.
I`m just a ole country feller Covcas, I`ll eat whatever you put in front of me!! lol

Cov's hooking workshop

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Good morning! Coffee's fresh and hot. Come on in and sit a spell. Hope our friends on the west coast are not all waterlogged this morning and all have survived the storm. Hope they'll drop in and let us know.

Cov's hooking workshop

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2012

Wabbit wrote:
<quoted text>I`m just a ole country feller Covcas, I`ll eat whatever you put in front of me!! lol
Well, I'm glad to see you stop by whenever you can and we'll fix up whatever you want. Are you a breakfast eater? I sometimes like to have breakfast for dinner. Actually, breakfast is my favorite meal and I can eat it anytime of the day.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••