NOT about each other!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! I love salmon, salmon loaf, salmon patties, etc.
I don't mind chopping onions; hate chopping garlic. I've been tempted to buy the garlic clovers in the jar, but don't want to pay for it. And I use garlic a lot!
I love to cook, too. Not lately, but I'll get back into the swing of things, I'm sure. Probably baking, which is something I also love to do.
Speaking of salmon patties, loaf, etc. I spent the entire months of Sep and Oct at my little block of woods up in Michigan one year. I canned over 200 pints of salmon just for patties, etc., and must have smoke a couple hundred pounds in my smoker. That was a very enjoyable vacation. Caught all the salmon using a fly rod. I would fish a few hours on a stream where the limit was 1 per day, because that was the nicest looking area to fish. then I would go to another stream where the limit was 5 per day. I would get my limit pretty fast, go to my camp, dress them out and start cutting them up and pressure cooking what I was gonna can, and pot about 4 to 6 filets in the smoker. I used mostly apple wood, some peach, and some walnut.I eat so much smoked salmon and goose that year, I didn't know whether to swim or fly honking thru the air. My total time up there that year was a little over 11 weeks, and I had a blast. Ah, the good times. Y'all have a good'n.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

the perfessor wrote:
<quoted text>Speaking of salmon patties, loaf, etc. I spent the entire months of Sep and Oct at my little block of woods up in Michigan one year. I canned over 200 pints of salmon just for patties, etc., and must have smoke a couple hundred pounds in my smoker. That was a very enjoyable vacation. Caught all the salmon using a fly rod. I would fish a few hours on a stream where the limit was 1 per day, because that was the nicest looking area to fish. then I would go to another stream where the limit was 5 per day. I would get my limit pretty fast, go to my camp, dress them out and start cutting them up and pressure cooking what I was gonna can, and pot about 4 to 6 filets in the smoker. I used mostly apple wood, some peach, and some walnut.I eat so much smoked salmon and goose that year, I didn't know whether to swim or fly honking thru the air. My total time up there that year was a little over 11 weeks, and I had a blast. Ah, the good times. Y'all have a good'n.
I've never caught a salmon on a fly rod. That must be the ultimate flyfishing experience. How big do they typically run?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

covcas wrote:
<quoted text>I agree. It'll be gone tomorrow I'm sure. Let's just all overlook it and enjoy some conversation. I have to say, my kitchen is smelling wonderful about now. I think the main reason my family knows I'll handle stress, is because they know they get the benefit of it with lots of homecooking. I did splurge and bought a container of chopped onions. That is my least favorite thing to do. So every now and then I'll buy them already chopped. It's just so expensive! It comes out to about $4 lb that way instead of 98 cents a lb and chop them myself. But hey! I'm worth that extra money every now and then. It's not the tears I mind so much but the fact that it seems to take days to get that smell off my hands. No matter what I do! That's why I don't make my own salmon patties. Can't have my fingers smelling like fish. What would people think? Yeah, think about that one for a few minutes.
COVCAS!! I thought about it.

“Let's talk to each other:”

Level 10

Since: Apr 10

NOT about each other!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Judged:

_RandMan_ wrote:
<quoted text>I've never caught a salmon on a fly rod. That must be the ultimate flyfishing experience. How big do they typically run?
The ones I was catching normally 22 to 30 lbs., though I caught a number at 41 and 42 lbs. They are tackle busters in a small stream. I've busted a couple of high dollar rods on them. Never woud use my custom built rod, though. Didn't want to take a chance on busting my pride and joy. I usually used an 8 wt. that I built. It wasn't one og my prettier builds, so I used it. The salmon may have laughed them self tired at how ugly the rod was and kept it from getting busted. That flyfishing was my forte. I just loved to make a presentation of a fly to a likely spot, and times, to rising fish. Nothing like it. Y'all have a good'n.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

the perfessor wrote:
<quoted text>The ones I was catching normally 22 to 30 lbs., though I caught a number at 41 and 42 lbs. They are tackle busters in a small stream. I've busted a couple of high dollar rods on them. Never woud use my custom built rod, though. Didn't want to take a chance on busting my pride and joy. I usually used an 8 wt. that I built. It wasn't one og my prettier builds, so I used it. The salmon may have laughed them self tired at how ugly the rod was and kept it from getting busted. That flyfishing was my forte. I just loved to make a presentation of a fly to a likely spot, and times, to rising fish. Nothing like it. Y'all have a good'n.
Wow! Those are big fish! Especially on a flyrod. I built mine too, years ago, with a Fenwick blank. I don't get to go fishing much anymore but I sure as hell miss it. Around here, most of the salmon are caught in the ocean, but there's been a huge run of kings up the Sacramento River this year. A couple years back, they closed the commercial and the sportfishing salmon seasons because the population got to be so low. But now, there's more salmon than there has been in years and years. They opened up the fishery again. Dungeness crab season just opened too.

Level 10

NOT about each other!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

_RandMan_ wrote:
<quoted text>Wow! Those are big fish! Especially on a flyrod. I built mine too, years ago, with a Fenwick blank. I don't get to go fishing much anymore but I sure as hell miss it. Around here, most of the salmon are caught in the ocean, but there's been a huge run of kings up the Sacramento River this year. A couple years back, they closed the commercial and the sportfishing salmon seasons because the population got to be so low. But now, there's more salmon than there has been in years and years. They opened up the fishery again. Dungeness crab season just opened too.
I got started on the Sage blanks, but the 'ugly' one I built was on a St.Croix graphite 2. It has a little more give than the graphite 3 or 4, I think is why it held up a little better. The several I busted were either 3 or 4, and a lot faster action. My favorite trout rod is an 8 ft. 4 wt. Powell graphite 2. It's much slower than my custom Sage graphite 4 and I seem to be able to make smoother presentations. The largest salmon I saw from that area up there was a 48 pounder, but heard of bigger. They're as mean as they wanna be, too. I haven't been in physical condition to cast a flyrod in 5 or 6 yrs. now. Sure do miss it, too. Still enjoy the memories of some of my trips, though. Y'all have a good.n.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Since: Jan 12

Barbi & Baron

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

_RandMan_ wrote:
<quoted text>Barbi, you can get a huge jar of minced garlic at Costco. I don't know if you go there. It's preserved in just salt water and they last forever. You can just spoon out however much you want. That's what I do.
Thanks, RandMan. I'll look for it the next time I'm there!

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Since: Jan 12

Barbi & Baron

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

the perfessor wrote:
<quoted text>Speaking of salmon patties, loaf, etc. I spent the entire months of Sep and Oct at my little block of woods up in Michigan one year. I canned over 200 pints of salmon just for patties, etc., and must have smoke a couple hundred pounds in my smoker. That was a very enjoyable vacation. Caught all the salmon using a fly rod. I would fish a few hours on a stream where the limit was 1 per day, because that was the nicest looking area to fish. then I would go to another stream where the limit was 5 per day. I would get my limit pretty fast, go to my camp, dress them out and start cutting them up and pressure cooking what I was gonna can, and pot about 4 to 6 filets in the smoker. I used mostly apple wood, some peach, and some walnut.I eat so much smoked salmon and goose that year, I didn't know whether to swim or fly honking thru the air. My total time up there that year was a little over 11 weeks, and I had a blast. Ah, the good times. Y'all have a good'n.
Wow! What a wonderful way to spend your time. I enjoy fishing, but have never done any fly fishing. I could easily live on salmon. And it's very good for you, too!
Have you ever seen the movie, "A River Runs Through It?" You ought to rent or order that, Perfessor.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>Wow! What a wonderful way to spend your time. I enjoy fishing, but have never done any fly fishing. I could easily live on salmon. And it's very good for you, too!
Have you ever seen the movie, "A River Runs Through It?" You ought to rent or order that, Perfessor.
I love salmon too. It's great on the barbeque, huh?

Level 10

NOT about each other!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>Wow! What a wonderful way to spend your time. I enjoy fishing, but have never done any fly fishing. I could easily live on salmon. And it's very good for you, too!
Yeah, I saw 'And a River Runs Thtough it' when it first came out. About 4 times the ist month. I really enjoyed that movie. And, it flung a craving on me for one of those Orvis rods they were fishing with. They were graphite rods, made to look like the the old hand-made bamboo rods. I tried to order a blank to have one built for me, but they were out of stock and estimated something like 6 or 8 months before they could produce and ship, so I didn't order. Wish now that I hadn't been so impatient. A friend of mine obtained me a theater poster for the movie, and it is one of my prized possessions. I think I oughta watch the movie again. Thanks, and y'all have a good'n.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2012

the perfessor wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I saw 'And a River Runs Thtough it' when it first came out. About 4 times the ist month. I really enjoyed that movie. And, it flung a craving on me for one of those Orvis rods they were fishing with. They were graphite rods, made to look like the the old hand-made bamboo rods. I tried to order a blank to have one built for me, but they were out of stock and estimated something like 6 or 8 months before they could produce and ship, so I didn't order. Wish now that I hadn't been so impatient. A friend of mine obtained me a theater poster for the movie, and it is one of my prized possessions. I think I oughta watch the movie again. Thanks, and y'all have a good'n.
Past my bedtime too. Good night everybody.

“Elegant Roses”

Since: Jun 09

Cov's hooking workshop

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Good morning! WOW!!!!! What an interesting conversation on here last night. I grew up eating lots of salmon because my dad did a lot of fishing. He did the salmon fishing in the ocean, but we used to go trout fishing with him when we were on vacation.
Got a fresh pot of coffee going this morning and I'm ready to start mixin' and fixin' here.

Level 10

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

Good morning Covcas

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

covcas wrote:
Sorry everyone. I was pretty busy today, and then Kristen had to go to the emergency room with chest pains and shortness of breath. I was there until about 7 when her husband got there. Then I came home and soldier boy is here so I've been visiting with him. He's doing the honors of giving his son a bath--I sure am hearing lots of laughter coming from the bathroom. While I was at the ER, they'd taken blood, done an EKG, chest xrays and had an iv going. Her husband was working way on the other side of town and with the traffic, it took him a while to get there. I'll let everyone know when I hear something.
Our prayers are with you and your family......hope all turns out good:-)

“Elegant Roses”

Cov's hooking workshop

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

-Kevin- wrote:
Good morning Covcas
Good morning, Kevin. Not quite as cold here this morning-low 40's. Going up to the mid 60's this afternoon. Care for some breakfast?

“Elegant Roses”

Cov's hooking workshop

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Our prayers are with you and your family......hope all turns out good:-)
Thank you. Can I get you some breakfast this morning?

Level 10

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

covcas wrote:
<quoted text> Good morning, Kevin. Not quite as cold here this morning-low 40's. Going up to the mid 60's this afternoon. Care for some breakfast?
Sure. Got any toast?

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

covcas wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you. Can I get you some breakfast this morning?
Sure, how about some yogurt, bacon, oj and some fresh fruit like strawberries and bananas........thank you:-)

We are in the middle of a nasty lil storm......and tomorrow, we are suppose to head to the East Bay for my mom's birthday......hopefully it will quit raining and I'll feel better......it was one of those family invites that says you will be there whether you want to or not!!!

“Elegant Roses”

Cov's hooking workshop

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

-Kevin- wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. Got any toast?
Sure do. Want some jelly to go with it?

“Elegant Roses”

Cov's hooking workshop

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2012

NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, how about some yogurt, bacon, oj and some fresh fruit like strawberries and bananas........thank you:-)
We are in the middle of a nasty lil storm......and tomorrow, we are suppose to head to the East Bay for my mom's birthday......hopefully it will quit raining and I'll feel better......it was one of those family invites that says you will be there whether you want to or not!!!
Got it covered. I've issued a few invitations like that, and had a few issued to me, too. Hopefully, it'll be a pleasant time.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

16 Users are viewing the Topix Forum right now

Search the Topix Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
risperdal risperdole 31 min watch it karma is a b 49
Struggling101's Game Plan On Life With A Forced... 3 hr --Rickster-- 457
Top Ten Sexiest Women Of All Time ! (Mar '13) 7 hr Ricky F 101
Chicken Is Totally Black Even the Meat, Bones, ... 8 hr keister 2
The Nigeria immigration service replacement for... 9 hr Mr Adegboye Adewale 1
update whats app nos of ur known girls with name 13 hr rahul 0
~Last Post~ (Apr '12) 14 hr Concerned_American 3,243
•••
•••