Books, Recipes, Gardening AND

“"maybe"”

Level 6

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#20767 Jan 5, 2014
Attention Ferrermen

Some interesting reading. File under "Wow" but not surprised

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/business/me...

“Truth + context + perspective”

Since: Nov 09

informs against BS

#20768 Jan 5, 2014
Hegel wrote:
<quoted text>Hey there, Deer Whisperer! I think you should just post anything you want, including a joke that might not be perceived as such. People who have a problem with it would probably invent their own meaning anyway. Go for it!
I used to always go into Borders this time of year because they'd have all their calendars 50% off. Not always the calendar I thought I'd get, but I ended up with some interesting choices over the years that were fun.
Yes, and so with Barnes & Noble. Once I had both to shop at, but preferred Borders hands down. I thought the music and video section was better, and like the children books section too when my kids were little and the grand-kids were littler than they are now.

Oh well, what humor and wit I may have is so subtle I don't get it much of the time. And it would be *face-palm* time to witness me arguing with me.

Good Sunday morning, BRG&'ers!

informs against BS

#20769 Jan 5, 2014
Barbi A wrote:
We desperately need rain...Folsom (and area with a huge damn near me) is rationing water.
These results from Google coincide with an NPR report I heard this week about the snowpack in the Sierra Nevadas which will not help your drought situation out there; it's only at about 20 percent of the average.

https://www.google.com/search...

informs against BS

#20770 Jan 5, 2014
Hegel wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks, perfessor! Tomorrow is going to be near 30 (a real heatwave) so we're going to get groceries, fill up the cars and generally have everything done so we can stay in.
I hope things don't get too bad where you are. Stay warm!
Hegel and Perfessor --

That's what Saturday was down here ... balmy at about 37-38 degrees. Snow from 3 days ago was even sliding off my roof.

Friday afternoon and Saturday noon-ish was for running errands and shopping for the supplies to hunker down until about Wednesday.

Overnight tonight/Monday morning will be low at about -15F and a high temp also below 0. Tuesday high will be 2-4 above.

"Let's be careful out there!"

“"maybe"”

Level 6

Location hidden

#20772 Jan 5, 2014
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
These results from Google coincide with an NPR report I heard this week about the snowpack in the Sierra Nevadas which will not help your drought situation out there; it's only at about 20 percent of the average.
https://www.google.com/search...
It's bad. Here in LA it's 0.90 when it should be 3.5.

informs against BS

#20773 Jan 5, 2014
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>Hegel, that's a beautiful quote. No, I've never seen it. I'm taking a screen clipping of that, printing it up, and sticking it onto my fridge. It's so inspirational!
The worse that is suspected is he is diabetic and the best I can hope for is he has arthritis.. Vet gave me some pain meds for him for now. Thank God his hips are OK. The vet reminded me that the average life expectancy for the German Shepherd is 10 years old. Baron's 5.5 now, so it's expected he's going to have some stiff joints. And it's so cold here.
Bestes for health your buddy Baron!

informs against BS

#20774 Jan 5, 2014
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>I will...
Darn Topix. I put up two links from Imagebin - a photo of my Christmas tree and cat, and one of Baron in the back seat.
I guess Topix doesn't allow Imagebin anymore.
topix won't take some of the links I use. When that happens if I care enough, I break the links on purpose.

like: xxxhttp ...., or put spaces in the URL.

I figure that interested folk will copy/paste into browser locator box and fix as needed.

informs against BS

#20775 Jan 5, 2014
Hegel wrote:
<quoted text>I re-posted with a tiny url. Did that not show up? Hmmmm. Let me try it again: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41xVdYd...
That works! lol

informs against BS

#20776 Jan 5, 2014
Richard Barlow wrote:
Hey all. Came on to see if anyone had heard from the BRGers east of the Mississippi lately and who should I find. Hope all are doing well. This next round of storm is gearing up to be even worse than the first one. Temps on the back side of it are nipple shattering. It went from 31 before it hit us, dropped down to 15 during and stands at -16 at the moment. Put smudge pots around the feedlot to help the cattle a bit. Luckily, the snow isn't as wet as what hit S.D.
If any of you have fireplaces, try to use them sparingly. Use your other forms of heat for the moment. If you loose power for an extended length of time, you might need the extra fuel you saved. Stock up on water also. It's very easy to dehydrate when the temps drop. For those of you that can eat it, fatty foods (in moderation) also help out. Gives your body something to burn and helps regulate body temperature.
Here's one for the guys when it gets frigid out.(The ladies can attest to this) Pantyhose. If you have to be outside for a period of time, throw on a pair under your thermals and you'll thank me later. Don't believe it? Ask any Chicago Bears player from the 70s. Or for that matter, any Steelers, Packers or about any other player from that era that played up north.
Well, that's it for me. Everyone stay safe and warm. Be good and be careful. Talk to you later.
Hunker down, R.B! Thanks for the tips.

And don't forget to drip your faucets, particularly those on an outside wall. Open the vanity/base cabinet doors too.

informs against BS

#20777 Jan 5, 2014
anonymous ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>Pantyhose also makes for a great disguise for armed robberies.
It can also be used to strain paint. An ol' timer taught me that. We needed to strain some paint and he retrieved a pair from his truck. I asked how he discovered that. He said: "When the wife found a pair in the truck a couple years back..."
That's a good tip on paint straining on a couple of levels too!

informs against BS

#20778 Jan 5, 2014
Rose of Tralee wrote:
Attention Ferrermen
Ferrerman and I have discussed this on an esteemed blog. I learned something new from your source:

"There have been other cases like Mr. Metcalf’s. In 2012, Jerry Tsai, the editor of Recoil magazine, wrote that the Heckler & Koch MP7A1 gun, designed for law enforcement, was “unavailable to civilians and for good reason.” He was pressured to step down, and despite apologizing, has not written since. In 2007, Jim Zumbo, by then the author of 23 hunting books, wrote a blog post for Outdoor Life’s website suggesting that military-style rifles were “terrorist” weapons, best avoided by hunters. His writing, television and endorsement deals were quickly put on hiatus."

They're (magazines) are private businesses -- and money prevails. No surprises there.

informs against BS

#20779 Jan 5, 2014
Rose of Tralee wrote:
<quoted text>
It's bad. Here in LA it's 0.90 when it should be 3.5.
:( not so good.
anonymous ferrerman

Schaumburg, IL

#20780 Jan 5, 2014
Rose of Tralee wrote:
Attention Ferrermen
I SAW THAT!

The hypocrisy is deep with that crowd!

This one too. We'll see if this post makes the cut.
anonymous ferrerman

Schaumburg, IL

#20781 Jan 5, 2014
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a good tip on paint straining on a couple of levels too!
I really thought the guy was joshing me and I completed the joke for him. He didn't get it until I explained it.

Nowadays they sell strainer bags but that's how we did it back in the 20th century.

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Since: Mar 10

Earth

#20782 Jan 5, 2014
Maverick 808 wrote:
<quoted text>It was weird. Your avatar is back now. When I was posting here yesterday, your avatar box was completely blanked out.
Oh well, maybe it was down for maintenance? With Topix these days, you never know....

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Earth

#20783 Jan 5, 2014
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and so with Barnes & Noble. Once I had both to shop at, but preferred Borders hands down. I thought the music and video section was better, and like the children books section too when my kids were little and the grand-kids were littler than they are now.
Oh well, what humor and wit I may have is so subtle I don't get it much of the time. And it would be *face-palm* time to witness me arguing with me.
Good Sunday morning, BRG&'ers!
I've never warmed up to Barnes & Noble and thought maybe it was just the one near me, but I don't think so. We were in there before Christmas and it didn't have the good energy our old Borders had; it felt really sterile. Now I buy everything I can't get at the library from Amazon so I can't complain about them being gone!

Subtle humor is good and always welcome! I might have to think extra hard but I'd get it eventually;)

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Earth

#20784 Jan 5, 2014
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Hegel and Perfessor --
That's what Saturday was down here ... balmy at about 37-38 degrees. Snow from 3 days ago was even sliding off my roof.
Friday afternoon and Saturday noon-ish was for running errands and shopping for the supplies to hunker down until about Wednesday.
Overnight tonight/Monday morning will be low at about -15F and a high temp also below 0. Tuesday high will be 2-4 above.
"Let's be careful out there!"
I was thinking earlier today when it was still a balmy 16 degrees that the approaching (really) cold wave reminds me a lot of the creeping green death plague in The Ten Commandments.
anonymous ferrerman

Schaumburg, IL

#20785 Jan 5, 2014
Hegel wrote:
<quoted text>I was thinking earlier today when it was still a balmy 16 degrees that the approaching (really) cold wave reminds me a lot of the creeping green death plague in The Ten Commandments.
Yikes! I missed that movie.

This is "WHITE DEATH 2014!"

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Earth

#20786 Jan 5, 2014
anonymous ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>Yikes! I missed that movie.
This is "WHITE DEATH 2014!"

If I could, I'd give it bad judge-its.

After all, that would let it know who's in charge. Take that, bad weather!
:)

“"maybe"”

Level 6

Location hidden

#20787 Jan 6, 2014
Anyone in the mood for a hike? check out the woman wearing peekaboo shoes on the planks. A 'to die for' fashion statement

http://www.uqpu.net/teahouse/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
risperdal risperdole (Jul '14) 5 hr victim 252
~Last Post~ (Apr '12) 9 hr -Prince- 3,886
Need A Prop? (Jun '11) 11 hr Voyeur 24,815
Locate 13 hr you need to ask y... 2
the obscure hidden little downstairs pub for on... (Oct '11) Thu Voyeur 1,424
Troll Free (Jun '12) Thu Ricky F 26
Socks (Oct '11) Thu Ricky F 328
More from around the web