“Relax”

Level 8

Since: May 11

Siesta, Mexico

#18601 Sep 20, 2013
That's odd my post did not show up.
#18600.

It was about a school bus driver texting while driving in Florida.

“defusing bigot mind-bombs ”

Since: Nov 09

-- every day --

#18602 Sep 20, 2013
Maverick 808 wrote:
#18600.
Maybe I can help. I saw an article about that earlier today. Whatta marooon! How irresponsible can ya get!!!

ht...tp://news.yahoo.com/video /school-bus-driver-caught-text ing-111830873.html

edit accordingly.

-- every day --

#18603 Sep 20, 2013
or maybe go to the video directly:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/school-bus-driver...

note the comments section too.

“The one that got away”

Since: Jun 09

Cov's hooking workshop

#18604 Sep 20, 2013
Maverick 808 wrote:
#18600.
That's because you've been bad!

-- every day --

#18605 Sep 20, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
or maybe go to the video directly:
http://news.yahoo.com/video/school-bus-driver...
note the comments section too.
Though I don't know if anyone is losing jobs over these stumbles:

Anyone remember New Coke? The same company put another foot in it ...

http://gma.yahoo.com/coca-cola-apologizes-off...

And Miss South Carolina on her introduction in the recent Miss America beauty pageant supposedly went with the input of representatives to whit:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/2013091...

“The one that got away”

Since: Jun 09

Cov's hooking workshop

#18606 Sep 20, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Though I don't know if anyone is losing jobs over these stumbles:
Anyone remember New Coke? The same company put another foot in it ...
http://gma.yahoo.com/coca-cola-apologizes-off...
And Miss South Carolina on her introduction in the recent Miss America beauty pageant supposedly went with the input of representatives to whit:
http://www.postandcourier.com/article/2013091...
I worked for them when they came out with the New Coke. Worst idea ever. it wasn't broke, and didn't need fixing! and they were introducing it on the 100th anniversary (I believe) of the original. They will swear up and down that the original didn't have cocaine in it. Ok--so why do people call it dope?

-- every day --

#18607 Sep 20, 2013
Richard Barlow wrote:
The 1% is and has been set for some time now. Their numbers neither increase nor decrease. We're not talking about the 'rich' here. What is meant by the 1%ers is the wealthy. The rich still need money. The wealthy have no use for it. Gates and Buffet can be brought to their knees by the wealthy.
The rich are what has become the bane of the world. Their quest to enter the ranks of the wealthy (which, btw, will never happen) is what keeps 'us' digging for scraps
The power that is at the fingertips of the working class is enormous. They just don't know that they have it. And those that know it, are much to afraid to use it. They only see what will happen if they are the only one to stand up to (to coin a euphemism) the establishment. But, if they were to ever stand together.........
You ain't just whistling Dixie there, Sir. While this country hasn't seen major strikes since <many years ago>, the late August, 1963 March on Washington for JOBS and FREEDOM was a comprehensive unified statement of purpose and in a sense, a strike. It got JFKs attention to move on legislation proposal.

Conversely, short-sightedness or lack of unified purpose was demonstrated in the recent strikes of Walmart workers in some cities. Wow, look at how many more 'big-box' stores (and other Walmarts) could have participated. And other categories perhaps.

Plus, the Occupy <wherever> mass happenings awhile back.

There is potential, if it's only perceived.

“Dare to Struggle, Dare to Win”

Level 1

Since: Aug 13

Australia

#18608 Sep 20, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>You ain't just whistling Dixie there, Sir. While this country hasn't seen major strikes since <many years ago>, the late August, 1963 March on Washington for JOBS and FREEDOM was a comprehensive unified statement of purpose and in a sense, a strike. It got JFKs attention to move on legislation proposal.

Conversely, short-sightedness or lack of unified purpose was demonstrated in the recent strikes of Walmart workers in some cities. Wow, look at how many more 'big-box' stores (and other Walmarts) could have participated. And other categories perhaps.

Plus, the Occupy <wherever> mass happenings awhile back.

There is potential, if it's only perceived.
Yes, it's amazing what can be accomplished when everyone sticks together for a just outcome. Last year I was proud to be one of 650 workers on our site who managed to stay out for 9 weeks over a pay dispute. We had great community support and also from workers on other sites and other unions who helped us financially and kept our morale high.
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-16/char...

We had a second win last month when one of our best supporters won his legal battle for his role in our dispute.

Level 1

Australia

#18609 Sep 20, 2013
Sorry ... This should be the first link.

http://www.sa.org.au/index.php...

“"yes"”

Level 6

Since: Sep 12

Los Angeles

#18610 Sep 21, 2013
1IrishRebel wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it's amazing what can be accomplished when everyone sticks together for a just outcome. Last year I was proud to be one of 650 workers on our site who managed to stay out for 9 weeks over a pay dispute. We had great community support and also from workers on other sites and other unions who helped us financially and kept our morale high.
We had a second win last month when one of our best supporters won his legal battle for his role in our dispute.
congratulations on getting the better of 'the man'(read it all plus the video)
Ted Cruz

Roselle, IL

#18611 Sep 21, 2013
1IrishRebel wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys have Unions? How archaic! We used to have them but, Unions got "too big for their britches". That's a technical term for "labor steals profits".

Oh, sure, things like the 40 hour work week, over-time and benefits seemed to be the thing to do at the time but, do we need a BIG GOVERNMENT telling us we can have these things when we can get these things on our own? No. I guess... All you have to do is ask! If your boss doesn't want to pay you $20 an hour to build a house because he's being "generous" at $2, you are free to move on down the road until you get that $20. Be sure and wear a hat though because when it floats, you've too far.

Honestly, ask any teapublican about Unions. They are gifted Americans who know things us ordinary Americans could NEVER know! I mean- do you need a government DICTATING whether your child can work in a coal mine or not? They'll tell you "no". In MY AMERICA, Americans are free to pay people as they see fit! G'day to you, mate!

Level 1

Australia

#18617 Sep 21, 2013
Rose of Tralee wrote:
<quoted text>congratulations on getting the better of 'the man'(read it all plus the video)
Hi Rose. Thank you.

Level 1

Australia

#18618 Sep 21, 2013
Ted Cruz wrote:
<quoted text>You guys have Unions? How archaic! We used to have them but, Unions got "too big for their britches". That's a technical term for "labor steals profits".

Oh, sure, things like the 40 hour work week, over-time and benefits seemed to be the thing to do at the time but, do we need a BIG GOVERNMENT telling us we can have these things when we can get these things on our own? No. I guess... All you have to do is ask! If your boss doesn't want to pay you $20 an hour to build a house because he's being "generous" at $2, you are free to move on down the road until you get that $20. Be sure and wear a hat though because when it floats, you've too far.

Honestly, ask any teapublican about Unions. They are gifted Americans who know things us ordinary Americans could NEVER know! I mean- do you need a government DICTATING whether your child can work in a coal mine or not? They'll tell you "no". In MY AMERICA, Americans are free to pay people as they see fit! G'day to you, mate!
Hi Ted. Yes we still have a few good unions but "the man" (thanks Rose) is making it harder and harder for them to represent us properly. In our case we had to make a stand as a rank and file and community protest, to circumvent all the injunctions and court orders they were throwing at our unions. We also have a lot of people who feel that unions have outgrown their usefulness and all the conditions we enjoy would have been given to us freely by our benevolent employers because they are so much more caring now than they used to be in the olden days.
We have some major battles coming up now that a new conservative government has just been elected with, what they feel, is a mandate to crush the unions.
G'day to you too, mate!:-)

-- every day --

#18619 Sep 21, 2013
1IrishRebel wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Ted. Yes we still have a few good unions but "the man" (thanks Rose) is making it harder and harder for them to represent us properly. In our case we had to make a stand as a rank and file and community protest, to circumvent all the injunctions and court orders they were throwing at our unions. We also have a lot of people who feel that unions have outgrown their usefulness and all the conditions we enjoy would have been given to us freely by our benevolent employers because they are so much more caring now than they used to be in the olden days.
We have some major battles coming up now that a new conservative government has just been elected with, what they feel, is a mandate to crush the unions.
Yeah, too bad your country's government decided that your hottie Prime Minister was out of favor.
A noted observer

Arlington Heights, IL

#18620 Sep 21, 2013
1IrishRebel wrote:
<quoted text>
The logic of Unions "out growing their usefulness" befuddles me. But, our Supreme Court believes we now exist in a post-racial society so certain (former slave) states don't have to alert the Federal government when they want to eff with some peoples voting rights. They can now just do it. Texas waited three hours, I think.

People bled and died for Unions and voting rights. There is no burden of these laws being on the books. They are not heavy. They must be weighing heavily on someone though because they are going to great lengths to lighten the law books.

Imagine spending hundreds of millions of dollars to get rid of something they say is no longer useful? It seems smart money would just let it fade away....

Level 1

Australia

#18621 Sep 21, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, too bad your country's government decided that your hottie Prime Minister was out of favor.
Hi DW! Yes, the Labor party had too much infighting and were forever usurping each other. They were only slightly better for workers than this lot but what can you do? One of the contenders for leadership of the Labor party now, who is an ex union official, was no friend to us during our dispute, declaring that our protest was illegal.
I read somewhere once that we all vote for which party we think should enforce the laws laid down by the 1%.

-- every day --

#18622 Sep 21, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>The logic of Unions "out growing their usefulness" befuddles me. But, our Supreme Court believes we now exist in a post-racial society so certain (former slave) states don't have to alert the Federal government when they want to eff with some peoples voting rights. They can now just do it. Texas waited three hours, I think.
People bled and died for Unions and voting rights. There is no burden of these laws being on the books. They are not heavy. They must be weighing heavily on someone though because they are going to great lengths to lighten the law books.
Imagine spending hundreds of millions of dollars to get rid of something they say is no longer useful? It seems smart money would just let it fade away....
Refresh my memory please! I think the U.S. Supreme Court decided that a corporation entity was a person. Correct?

I don't seem to recall any similar decision about a union.

And for the BRG&'ers .... shalom!

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#18623 Sep 21, 2013
Natasfonos wrote:
.47 driver pay
.66 fuel @$4/gal and 6 mpg
.10 maintenance
.12 insurance (double of mine so guessing)
.20 admin
$1.55/mile cost (aprox)
Regular freight is averaging $2/mile and 10,000 per month per truck is a low estimate
$4,500/ month per truck =$90,000/ month profit for $1,080,000 profit for 20 trucks.
Take away, oh,$200,000 for misc junk that happens and you sir, make a lot of money.
Now this is all rough estimates with tons of room for errors each way but at these numbers, some would say you're greedy and should give most of that profit to your drivers.
Of course, I say YOU took the risk, YOU built the company, YOU decide how much profit belongs to you.
I've been pondering over your question a bit and am not sure I'll be able to satisfactorily answer it.

"When do you pay them more than they agreed to?"

In my case, as soon as needs dictate. Cost of living is the number 1 reason for me. The fact that they hump their butts year after year for little to no thanks from anybody for doing what they do, is more motivation to pay them what I can.

You're correct. I did put out the initial capital. But as for building the company on my own, FAT CHANCE!! You mentioned that I could have gotten "good" drivers for much cheaper. You're correct there also. But I didn't want "good" drivers. I wanted "professional truckers". Those men are just as much responsible for the company's success than I. Without them, there is no company. And yes, I could pay them more than .47. But then, they slip into the next tax bracket and actually end up taking home less. Thus the profit sharing account. Once a year, we have a meeting. They, and I'll repeat that, "they" decide on how it's spent. Next year, 4 of the new trucks will get 130" ICTs on 310" wheel bases. What's left will be split equally among the 16 that will stay with the Studios. One year, it was used for when they took vacations. Other years, its just split between them.

I don't think I'm getting to the answer you're looking for and I don't know if I can. It's more of a decision, as a business owner, that you have to make for yourself individually. I wish I could be of more help.

Level 1

Australia

#18624 Sep 21, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>The logic of Unions "out growing their usefulness" befuddles me. But, our Supreme Court believes we now exist in a post-racial society so certain (former slave) states don't have to alert the Federal government when they want to eff with some peoples voting rights. They can now just do it. Texas waited three hours, I think.

Yes, they don't seem to think that other organizations, such as the Chamber of Commerce or employer groups such as the Master Builders assn. have outlived their usefulness.
A noted observer

Arlington Heights, IL

#18625 Sep 21, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Refresh my memory please! I think the U.S. Supreme Court decided that a corporation entity was a person. Correct?
I don't seem to recall any similar decision about a union.
And for the BRG&'ers .... shalom!
Nope. I guess Unions are not human. It seems a bit one-sided on their part as far as rights go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ln ls interchageablity 56 min mike677 1
Rose of Tralee's 'Cabinet of Wonders' 3 hr Rose of Tralee 83
Covcas Morning Drive Diner & Coffee Shoppe (Nov '12) 3 hr Rose of Tralee 18,500
A-Z list of famous celebrities (May '13) 20 hr Pink Chanel 842
ELECTRONIC MENGELE for Nazschwitz 23 hr Happy Birthday 1
Twitter Names Please (: (Apr '12) Tue sdavies1015 83
The letter -B- (Nov '12) Tue Gofigger 481
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••