Books, Recipes, Gardening AND

“Resist Persist Enlist Exist”

Level 6

Since: Sep 12

La Palma, CA

#15113 Jun 3, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
As a member in good standing with the Bored Retired
Goon Squad, I have an update on, Under the Dome.
I'm enjoying the story a lot more since the Selectmen came into it.
Under the Dome - I looked it up. Now I'm getting the references to Stephen king. And one of the stars of the show was the brother in law in Breaking Bad

< --- place Dim bulb here lol

I salute you Ruby Goober fellow member of the Bored Retired Good Squad in good standing - now what's their excuse?

“Pass the sunscreen”

Level 8

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#15119 Jun 3, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
I must be an associate member because I am not retired.

Do we get a dental plan with this club?

“I STOLE MYSELF AGAIN!”

Level 1

Since: May 13

Wallsend Pineville Kentucky

#15120 Jun 3, 2013
Maverick 808 wrote:
<quoted text>I must be an associate member because I am not retired.
I believe you do. For now I am planning a trip to the California forums. Perhaps I will see you there?

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Since: Jan 12

Barbi and Baron

#15121 Jun 3, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
And that's exactly why I'm a fan. Isn't our Selectman great? lol...

On a side note, we call them "councilmen" here. Odd that they're "selectmen" in the east.

Good afternoon BRG'ers!

I attended our annual cancer survivor's celebration yesterday. Sponsored by our hospital, my daughter and I had a wonderful lunch, my portrait taken, and I even won a cool prize!

Meanwhile, it's been around 95 degrees here and we've had two grass fires already.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15122 Jun 3, 2013
Mia wrote:
Hey Barbi:)
I loved your last comment over on Ferr's blog...it brought back some special memories.
After I got a promotion and a raise for posting on Topix during work hours ( doesn't everyone?) our dog sat at the piano and did an amazing rendition of Randy Newmans "Short People" while our cat did a soft-shoe shuffle ;)
Happy Monday!
Sorry I missed you, Mia.
Well, I don't have a job and live off government assistance, so I applaud any employer who ignores how time is spent. Someone has to pay the taxes, you know. I do love my beer!
:D
Amazing cat!

“That's all folks...”

Paradise North Georgia

#15123 Jun 3, 2013
Maverick 808 wrote:
Why would we need a dental plan?
To hear some tell it, we're so old we don't have
any teeth.
All I got when I joined was a bunch of coupons for
baby food...

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15124 Jun 3, 2013
lol...
I don't know what Maverick is going on about, either. All I can gum is soggy crackers dipped in my Ensure.

“Pass the sunscreen”

Level 8

Location hidden

#15126 Jun 3, 2013
I say we unionize!

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15129 Jun 3, 2013
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a Ferrerman!
Hmmmm....and then, there's:
Selectwoman
Councilwoman
Ferrerwoman!

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15130 Jun 3, 2013
Maverick 808 wrote:
I say we unionize!
We have to be elected or selected or ferrected first, Maverick!

“Got'em figured out?”

Since: Nov 09

Think again

#15131 Jun 3, 2013
Maverick 808 wrote:
I must be on probie status; I haven't been extended the secret handshake yet.

“Got'em figured out?”

Think again

#15132 Jun 3, 2013
Rose of Tralee wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a friend who was at Kent State at the time. He said that the actual seeds of discord started in the art department, where he was a student. Wish I could remember how that played out.
Be forewarned about Michener. Each book is around a 1000 pages. The first 150 of Centennial were spent on the Jurassic era/volcanic era that formed the continental divide. I kind of skipped a lot of that part. The Drifters was one that dealt with the Viet Nam era.
I liked "The Source."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Source_ (novel)
Hi Rose! Michener's novels were certainly marathon reads. I committed to reading Hawaii, Centennial (these two after the movie for Hawaii and the TV mini-series for Centennial), Chesapeake, Space, and one more I can't remember -- maybe Texas???

“Got'em figured out?”

Think again

#15133 Jun 3, 2013
Just another bit about "It" by Stephen King. I only remembered about 2 of the actors (in addition to Tim Curry) in the tele-movie, so off to Wikipedia I went.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King%27s...

Check out the cast. Also, this article lists the deviations from the book that the movie had. Certainly surprised me! I didn't realize; but still, not as bad a butchery (gasp!) as Kubrick did with "The Shining"

Near the end was a blurb that a re-boot of "It" might be in the works.

**** On June 7, 2012, The Hollywood Reporter announced that the novel would be adapted into a two-part film, directed by Cary Fukunaga with Chase Palmer as screenwriter; Jon Silk, David Katzenberg and Seth Grahame-Smith as producers and John Powers Middleton as executive producer. The cast has not been announced yet.****

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15135 Jun 3, 2013
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>LOL @ ferrected!!!!!
:D

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15136 Jun 3, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
Just another bit about "It" by Stephen King. I only remembered about 2 of the actors (in addition to Tim Curry) in the tele-movie, so off to Wikipedia I went.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King%27s...
Check out the cast. Also, this article lists the deviations from the book that the movie had. Certainly surprised me! I didn't realize; but still, not as bad a butchery (gasp!) as Kubrick did with "The Shining"
Near the end was a blurb that a re-boot of "It" might be in the works.
**** On June 7, 2012, The Hollywood Reporter announced that the novel would be adapted into a two-part film, directed by Cary Fukunaga with Chase Palmer as screenwriter; Jon Silk, David Katzenberg and Seth Grahame-Smith as producers and John Powers Middleton as executive producer. The cast has not been announced yet.****
Thanks, DW. Of course, when you take a novel of that length they're going to have to make changes, which brings up that old question: What should I do first? Read the book or see the film.
I'm glad they're doing IT again. I guess I didn't care for the movie because I didn't like the cast - Richard Thomas will always be John-By to me, and John Ritter? Nah...
Now I want to read the book again. I remember now what really drew me into that novel - what happened to little Georgie during the storm. Remember how his big brother made his little airplane, with the hot wax? I thought that chapter is one example of King's best writing.

“Got'em figured out?”

Think again

#15139 Jun 3, 2013
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks, DW. Of course, when you take a novel of that length they're going to have to make changes, which brings up that old question: What should I do first? Read the book or see the film.
I'm glad they're doing IT again. I guess I didn't care for the movie because I didn't like the cast - Richard Thomas will always be John-By to me, and John Ritter? Nah...
Now I want to read the book again. I remember now what really drew me into that novel - what happened to little Georgie during the storm. Remember how his big brother made his little airplane, with the hot wax? I thought that chapter is one example of King's best writing.
Hey Barbi .... Annette O'Toole and Richard Thomas were the only two besides Curry I could remember; but wow there was Harry Anderson, Richard Masur, Tim Reid, Seth Green and more.

Hah! I can't remember. Link posted has this about Georgie:
-- Georgie's death is more violent and explained in the novel. In the film version, George is [only] pulled into the sewers by Pennywise and the next scene cuts to George's funeral.

“Got'em figured out?”

Think again

#15140 Jun 3, 2013
Two more long-slog reads in the "form" of Michener:

Sarum -- story of England through the tales of several families in and around the English city of Salisbury, stretching from prehistoric times to 1985.

London -- The story begins with the birth of the River Thames. It then moves to 54 BC and details the life of the young boy Segovax, a curious character with slightly webbed hands and a flash of white hair. It is this boy who becomes the ancestor of both the Ducket and Dogget families.

The novel spans two millennia leading up to the present time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Rutherfur...

“Pass the sunscreen”

Level 8

Location hidden

#15141 Jun 3, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
I must be on probie status; I haven't been extended the secret handshake yet.
Dad is in charge of membership, be careful though sometimes he gets confused between induction and insemination.

“Illegitimi non carborundum”

Since: Apr 10

#15143 Jun 4, 2013
Maverick 808 wrote:
<quoted text>Dad is in charge of membership, be careful though sometimes he gets confused between induction and insemination.
That explains it.......

“That's all folks...”

Paradise North Georgia

#15144 Jun 4, 2013
Maverick 808 wrote:
<quoted text>Dad is in charge of membership, be careful though sometimes he gets confused between induction and insemination.
Thanks~~
This is good to know!!!
lol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A to Z of a Girl's names... (Aug '12) 4 hr Princess Hey 634
Word association game (Sep '12) 6 hr Princess Hey 2,826
**** Last post wins a prop **** New game .. rea... (Jul '12) 6 hr Princess Hey 588
~Last Post~ (Apr '12) 8 hr Princess Hey 8,211
Welcome To The Topix Internet Top Mod 21 (Feb '12) 16 hr Rickster-- 6,482
Large breasts 18 hr Jessica 41
Skype chat 19 hr Jen169 1