Level 8

Since: Jan 12

Barbi and Baron

#15058 May 31, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
Barbi~~
I didn't care for Insomnia, either.
But my least favorite was, Cell.
Cell? I'll need to look that up because I don't recall it.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15059 May 31, 2013
OK, I found it and remember it vaguely, and yes, Ruby, it was awful. It reminded me of "Firestarter" which I didn't like, either.

But then I saw 'Salems Lot" and how could I forget that awesome novel? Also, if you haven't read "Lisey's Story," it's not one of his best, but worth reading.

“The ultimate equality:”

Since: Nov 09

extinction

#15060 May 31, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
<quoted text>
Just my luck, I find something worth watching with a serious
theme and time in history for it to become:
POOF~~now you see it, now you don't...
It's just not fair!
I am pleased to be wrong. Checking up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_the_Midwife

"On 11 February 2013, BBC Controller for Drama Ben Stephenson announced that he had commissioned a 2013 Christmas special, and a third series of eight episodes to air in 2014.[9]"

You can get background on the whole story on Wikipedia.

First to air on BBC typically for these shows, then PBS, however. It will be awhile to see more new episodes.

If you have only seen just a few episodes, you could catch up on prior season 2 episodes:
http://video.pbs.org/program/call-midwife/

For season 1 ??? Don't know if these are found on youtube, nor if they would be "on demand" through cable/dish services.

I have seen boxed sets of Season 1 and I'm pretty sure Season 2 in retail stores.

extinction

#15061 May 31, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
<quoted text>
Just my luck, I find something worth watching with a serious
theme and time in history for it to become:
POOF~~now you see it, now you don't...
It's just not fair!
Oh, and if there's a post missing -- and before I logged in I couldn't see it -- I replied to your post about the Facebook kidnapping hero/murder.

What I added about social networking apparently didn't set well with ... somebody.

extinction

#15062 May 31, 2013
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>I liked "It," too, but not the movie as much as the novel.
If you like his writing style, stick with his earlier novels and his short stories.
"1409" is a movie that is a must see if you like really, really scary movies. It's based on one of his short stories.
"Nightmares and Dreamscapes" is a fantastic collection of stories.
A lot of folks praise "The Stand" as one of his greats, but I don't agree. The story is good, but it's too long and his characters are stupid and shallow, except the evil one, of course! lol
Tim Curry as the evil clown was the bomb! Pennywise??

At least the TV movie more closely followed the book (what a long read!) than did Kubrick's "The Shining" did with the book.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15063 May 31, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
Tim Curry as the evil clown was the bomb! Pennywise??
At least the TV movie more closely followed the book (what a long read!) than did Kubrick's "The Shining" did with the book.
lol Pennywise - every child's nightmare! And adults, too. I know a great, big man who is terrified of clowns.
Good point! I am still disappointed that they killed off the cook - Halloran?- in Shining. And he butchered the ending. I'm not worried about spoilers because I'm sure everyone has viewed that film.

extinction

#15064 May 31, 2013
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>lol Pennywise - every child's nightmare! And adults, too. I know a great, big man who is terrified of clowns.
Good point! I am still disappointed that they killed off the cook - Halloran?- in Shining. And he butchered the ending. I'm not worried about spoilers because I'm sure everyone has viewed that film.
The ending was exactly what I was referring to.

for you and Ruby on King's writing after his accident

He addressed that at the end of that interview I posted the link for up the way:

>>>>On whether his writing changed after being hit by a car and becoming addicted to OxyContin, a habit he has since kicked<<<<

"When I said that I wasn't going to write or when I was going to retire, I was doing a lot of OxyContin for pain. And I was still having a lot of pain and it's a depressive drug anyway, and I was kind of a depressed human being because the therapy was painful. The recovery was slow and the whole thing just seemed like too much work, and I thought,'Well, I'll concentrate on getting better and I probably won't want to write anymore.' But as health and vitality came back, the urge to write came back.

"But here's the thing: I'm on the inside and I'm not the best person to ask if my writing changed after that accident. I don't really know the answer to that. I do know that ... was close, that was really being close to stepping out. The accident, and a couple years later I had double pneumonia and that was close to stepping out of this life as well, and I think you have a couple of close brushes with death like that, it probably has [an effect]. Somebody said,'The prospect of imminent death has a wonderful clarifying effect on the mind,' and I don't know if that's true, but I do think it causes some changes, some evolution in the way a person works, but on a day-by-day basis I just still enjoy doing what I'm doing."

extinction

#15068 May 31, 2013
Repeat Offender wrote:
<quoted text>
Stephen King HATED the Kubrick version. He agreed to stop bashing it if they let him do his version of the movie. The King version, whether it's liked or not, is as close to his vision as humanly possible. I haven't seen Kings version but I did go to the Stanley Hotel and do the ghost tour. It's a very interesting place with a lot of history.
OH, that's why the 2nd version of "The Shining" was made. I didn't see that, either. Thanks for the info ... I did not know that.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15070 May 31, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
The ending was exactly what I was referring to.
for you and Ruby on King's writing after his accident
He addressed that at the end of that interview I posted the link for up the way:
>>>>On whether his writing changed after being hit by a car and becoming addicted to OxyContin, a habit he has since kicked<<<<
"When I said that I wasn't going to write or when I was going to retire, I was doing a lot of OxyContin for pain. And I was still having a lot of pain and it's a depressive drug anyway, and I was kind of a depressed human being because the therapy was painful. The recovery was slow and the whole thing just seemed like too much work, and I thought,'Well, I'll concentrate on getting better and I probably won't want to write anymore.' But as health and vitality came back, the urge to write came back.
"But here's the thing: I'm on the inside and I'm not the best person to ask if my writing changed after that accident. I don't really know the answer to that. I do know that ... was close, that was really being close to stepping out. The accident, and a couple years later I had double pneumonia and that was close to stepping out of this life as well, and I think you have a couple of close brushes with death like that, it probably has [an effect]. Somebody said,'The prospect of imminent death has a wonderful clarifying effect on the mind,' and I don't know if that's true, but I do think it causes some changes, some evolution in the way a person works, but on a day-by-day basis I just still enjoy doing what I'm doing."
Wow! Thank you. His candor is wonderful, isn't it? He always struck me as a humble soul. It's refreshing to hear someone so incredibly successful talk about their life in such a way.
And back to that ending, it was bad enough to see a frozen Jack on the edge of the maze, but then his face in the party photo? What was that all about?! Disgraceful.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15071 May 31, 2013
Repeat Offender wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh oh, I'm getting in on the middle here...
I loved the book, Insomnia and was VERY disappointed when I saw the movie that THEY WEREN'T RELATED!!!
I'm jot familiar with Cell.
I'm guessing we're discussing Stephen King...
I loved the book, Dreamcatcher and HATED the movie.
From A Buick 8 was a very trippy book, but I enjoyed it :)
I loved From a Buick 8! Could not put that book down. All the nostalgia, and that super creepy character? A great read.

How lucky you were to be able to tour the real "Overlook." I have promised myself to check out that hotel someday. And that reminds me of the score combined with the overhead view of the family in their little VW bug driving through those mountains? Kubrick gets credit for brilliant foreshadowing in that scene.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15072 May 31, 2013
Deer Whisperer wrote:
<quoted text>
OH, that's why the 2nd version of "The Shining" was made. I didn't see that, either. Thanks for the info ... I did not know that.
I watched the TV version of Shining but was more disappointed than the first. The actors, and I can't remember who they were, just were not Jack and Wendy Torrance.

Level 8

Since: Mar 12

Sugar Land, TX

#15073 May 31, 2013
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Rose!
She reminds me of Jane Fonda's "New" workout tape from 1985. It's doable, and it works. I stand by that today. A combo of aerobic dance and weight lifting where you keep your body sculpted but there is no muscle.
I would not recommend Jane's original workout. It's too hard and it's not fun.
People are starting to do the prance thing here...
I was just at the park and saw whole group of people doing it. I had no idea what they were doing. I thought they were on something LOL.

P.S.
The lady in that video Rose posted...
Her pants!!

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15074 May 31, 2013
Repeat Offender wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh oh, I'm getting in on the middle here...
I loved the book, Insomnia and was VERY disappointed when I saw the movie that THEY WEREN'T RELATED!!!
I'm jot familiar with Cell.
I'm guessing we're discussing Stephen King...
I loved the book, Dreamcatcher and HATED the movie.
From A Buick 8 was a very trippy book, but I enjoyed it :)
I forgot to comment on Dreamcatcher. Pretty far out there, and a bit too gruesome for me, but it was good.
Insomnia bugged me because I just thought he went over the top, with the cutting of those invisible cords? I mean, with scissors? I plodded through that thick novel, but could never wrap my head around that.
That's how I kind of felt about Dome, but I don't want to ruin it for Ruby.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15075 May 31, 2013
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>I suppose I could ask you the same thing, young lady!
Why, you whippersnapper you! lol! Hope you're having a great evening, Ferr.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15076 May 31, 2013
JaneDear wrote:
<quoted text>
People are starting to do the prance thing here...
I was just at the park and saw whole group of people doing it. I had no idea what they were doing. I thought they were on something LOL.
P.S.
The lady in that video Rose posted...
Her pants!!
lol!! I saw that too. Well heck, she has no hips. hahaha

Level 8

Since: Mar 12

Sugar Land, TX

#15078 May 31, 2013
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>lol!! I saw that too. Well heck, she has no hips. hahaha
hahaha No, she has no hips.
I just showed my daughter the video.
She said,"Oh my God, that's awesome!"
LOL!

~~~
Thanks for posting that,Rose!

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15080 May 31, 2013
Repeat Offender wrote:
<quoted text>
If I remember right, Kubrick's Overlook was in Oregon near Mt Hood. I heard they remodeled it and now it no longer resembles the movie hotel.
I never knew anything about Stephen King when I saw the Shining at the drive in so I always thought it was a great movie. I think if you forget that it was loosely based on a book by Stephen King, it's easier to enjoy it.
I would love to spend the night at the Stanley Hotel, built by the way, by the builder of the Stanley Steamer.
Dammit, now I'm sounding like a geek ;)
lol...you're not a geek! It's that kind of knowledge that prompts cool discussions.
Thanks for correcting me because all this time I thought the "Overlook" was really in Colorado.
Are there any drive-ins left? Do you remember piling a bunch of bodies in the trunk and sneaking in, or being one of those bodies? You didn't go to the drive-in for the movie, did you? lol

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#15081 May 31, 2013
Repeat Offender wrote:
<quoted text>
The cutting of the cords goes back to Greek mythology. It was very cool for me as I've always had an interest in religious histories.
I had the benefit of listening to the unabridged audio books too. I had to have something to occupy my mind during those long days of trucking. I read the hard copies too but it was cool to hear King's voice on some of those books.
I know this isn't a King book and I liked the movie, but the book A Clockwork Orange was a fantastic audio book. I tried to read the hard copy but the language was too hard to decipher. It's a cross between British Cockney and Russian slang and the audio book made it so much easier to understand what was being said.
Great book to listen to.
I had no idea, and all this time it just annoyed me. Now that I think back, weren't the names of the little fellas Greek? I think they were. Duh on me...
I remember A Clockwork Orange and had no interest, probably because of my age at the time and the level of my innocence. But my daughter is really, really into that. She loves "Trainspotting," too.
I've never tried an audio book, but can imagine how wonderful it would be for someone in your profession.

“Dragon my tail.”

Since: Jun 09

Wherever

#15085 Jun 1, 2013
Repeat Offender wrote:
<quoted text>
If I remember right, Kubrick's Overlook was in Oregon near Mt Hood. I heard they remodeled it and now it no longer resembles the movie hotel.
I never knew anything about Stephen King when I saw the Shining at the drive in so I always thought it was a great movie. I think if you forget that it was loosely based on a book by Stephen King, it's easier to enjoy it.
I would love to spend the night at the Stanley Hotel, built by the way, by the builder of the Stanley Steamer.
Dammit, now I'm sounding like a geek ;)
It was Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood. My old stomping grounds. Built by the WPA and absolutely gorgeous.

“That's all folks...”

Paradise North Georgia

#15086 Jun 1, 2013
Good morning everyone~~
I would love to tour a grand landmark such as
The Timberline Lodge.
I bet it causes some "feelings" while doing a
tour or staying there overnight.

I think the time will come when the Marmot(sp)
in Hollywood will definitely be haunted, if
its not already.
If the walls could talk...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
1st Time Filipino Girl goes To USA & This Happe... 3 min KuntyVag 1
A-Z of "ANY WORD" that comes to mind! (Sep '12) 48 min Princess Hey 392
Why do black women hate white women? (Nov '14) 1 hr qwerty 16
Fun chat 7 hr Keyanna 2
On Black Women and Racial Self Image (Oct '10) 7 hr Keyanna 24
Black men prefer white women because they’re fa... (Oct '10) 7 hr Keyanna 98
Teen pregnancy (Jan '14) 7 hr Keyanna 6
More from around the web