Books, Recipes, Gardening AND
Carl Bad

Oceanside, CA

#13356 Apr 4, 2013
Rose of Tralee wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw a show of his accumulations over at the Huntington Library (very conservative town - home of the John Birch society).....
The Huntington is kind of a island in the midst of San Marino, and the scholarly archives are excellent.

“Resist Persist Exist”

Level 6

Since: Sep 12

United States

#13357 Apr 4, 2013
Carl Bad wrote:
<quoted text>
The Huntington is kind of a island in the midst of San Marino, and the scholarly archives are excellent.
It's really come into it's own. I'm a member. Did you catch that show on photography a few years back or the one on midcentury design from the Claremont area? wood worker Sam Maloof being one of the represented.

Right now they have a show up related to botany paintings of wildflowers in California. Really interesting. One lady in particular, whose archives are now in the hands of the Theodore Payne society. Jane Pinheiro; instrumental in establishing the Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve. Catch it if you get a chance.

ok - I'm really turning off Topix NOW

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#13358 Apr 4, 2013
Rose of Tralee wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband attended a poetry reading of his at a jazz club in Hermosa Beach back in the 80's. He was big with the surfer crowd. Took a bottle of expensive wine and held it vertically as if his throat were simply a valve to control volume. Some drunk surfers challenged him and he pulled two knifes from his hip pockets and laid them on the table. Another drunk said he was betting on the old guy.
I saw a show of his accumulations over at the Huntington Library (very conservative town - home of the John Birch society). We were kind of shocked that his archives would end up there, but according to his widow, he loved going to the Santa Anita race track to drink and bet. And while there, she would come and hang out at the Huntington botanical gardens...
http://www.scpr.org/news/2011/01/20/23142/hun...
I was turned on to Chinaski in the early 80's when a drifter who washed dishes at the Club I worked at, gave Factotum to my boss to read. My boss, Mike, rightly figured I would like the book. The drifter, Ed, might possibly have been executed by Texas. I'm not certain of that though. Two French guys I worked with were familiar with Bukowski and had seen him on on French TV, drunk and disorderly. I found a clip of that on youtube a while back. If you never saw "Barfly" with Mickey Rourke and Faye Dunaway, it's worth a look. Bukowski hated the film (it was about him) and wrote "Hollyweird" about that experience.

Location hidden

#13359 Apr 4, 2013
Roger Ebert died.

Really.
Mia

Seymour, CT

#13361 Apr 5, 2013
Ferrerman wrote:
Roger Ebert died.
Really.
Very sad :( I was a fan.

Location hidden

#13362 Apr 5, 2013
Mia wrote:
<quoted text>
Very sad :( I was a fan.
I didn't care for his or anyone's movie reviews but, he was a very good writer. It's always bemused me that reviewers might give a film four stars and then spend their five minutes talking about what the director could have done right! They ALL tend to do that.

But, he wasn't faking his death. I wanted to point that out.

“Resist Persist Exist”

Level 6

United States

#13363 Apr 5, 2013
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't care for his or anyone's movie reviews but, he was a very good writer. It's always bemused me that reviewers might give a film four stars and then spend their five minutes talking about what the director could have done right! They ALL tend to do that.
But, he wasn't faking his death. I wanted to point that out.
I had a tendency to go with Siskel's reviews. But so right about the "would of - should of" I have never read his work but you guys have me curious. Smart he stayed in Chicago instead of moving out here. Kept those guys honest. The latest formulaic criticism is a bunch of film students. Gives new meaning to the term "Grad School Pretensions"

btw: Didn't Ebert have something to do with writing Caligula - or was that Gore Vidal? I paid to see that film. Horror of horrors. Remember that part where the selected unlucky were buried up to their necks while chariot drivers (with blades attached to their chariot's wheels) drove about decapitating them? Good times!! Forget Texas Chainsaw Massacre or the Exorcist. These are the kind of memories I took away from the movies.

ps (does anyone say that anymore? Two thumbs up for "The Master"

“Resist Persist Exist”

Level 6

United States

#13364 Apr 5, 2013
Hi Mia

how are you?

“Resist Persist Exist”

Level 6

United States

#13366 Apr 5, 2013
Mia

Seymour, CT

#13367 Apr 5, 2013
Rose of Tralee wrote:
Hi Mia
how are you?
Hi Rose :)
I'm feeling kinda' crappy today.
( Maybe I need more fiber ):b
How about you?

“Pass the sunscreen”

Level 8

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#13368 Apr 5, 2013
Rose of Tralee wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously jealous. I put off visiting Hawaii for years, then an opportunity eventually came my way and I've been smitten ever since. I've got my book on trails and Hawaii for Dummies.
Am planning to visit again next year. When I was there the Iron man competition was on and we had arrived the day after an earthquake...2005 maybe?? Visited Maui, the big Island and Kauai. I'm trying to figure out how to do it by renting a car and camping. Instead of flying my camping equipment over, purchase it at a Wallmart and get a car we can sleep in. Maybe pick an off season to do it. I'm less about beaches and more about hiking the interiors.
Have you been in Honolulu a long time? My uncle was stationed there a for a few years and loved it.
I have been here many years.
With nice weather year-round there is really no off-season. The bulk of our visitors are from the far-east, so you really can't go by the travel patterns of people from the U.S.
Have you tried looking into the bed and breakfast places?

“That's all folks...”

Since: Jan 12

Paradise North Georgia

#13369 Apr 6, 2013
Good morning everyone~~
It's been awhile since I dropped by, hope everyone is starting to feel
like Spring is f-i-n-a-l-l-y in the air in your
neck of the woods.

Here's something to ponder:
I ordered a book from London, England expecting it
to take awhile. Nope, less than a week and it was here.
I've ordered books in the US and it take up to two
weeks due to book rate shipping.
It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Location hidden

#13370 Apr 6, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
Good morning everyone~~
neck of the woods.
The thing you've got to remember is, you may be American in the kitchen but, European in the bathroom.
Mia

Seymour, CT

#13371 Apr 6, 2013
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>The thing you've got to remember is, you may be American in the kitchen but, European in the bathroom.
heehee...I had to read that twice before I got it.
Where do you come up with this stuff
btw, I read that you have a blog? I'd like to read it.
Mia

Seymour, CT

#13372 Apr 6, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
Good morning everyone~~
neck of the woods.
One of my brothers lives in England. I often send him packages and he usually gets them in about four days.
When I was mailing packages to Florida it was taking, on average, 10 days for my parents to get them. Go figure.

“Resist Persist Exist”

Level 6

United States

#13374 Apr 6, 2013
Maverick 808 wrote:
<quoted text>I have been here many years.
With nice weather year-round there is really no off-season. The bulk of our visitors are from the far-east, so you really can't go by the travel patterns of people from the U.S.
Have you tried looking into the bed and breakfast places?
B and B's are nice, but i'm more a fan of the weird and wooly. Think Route 66 motels. I'll keep plugging away though.

Location hidden

#13375 Apr 6, 2013
Mia wrote:
<quoted text>
heehee...I had to read that twice before I got it.
Where do you come up with this stuff
btw, I read that you have a blog? I'd like to read it.
that gem goes back a couple of decades to when I was in the bar business. A Greek manager we had was fond of saying that to see who was paying attention. We had various Eastern Europeans working in the kitchen and most people thought he was referencing that. The link to my blog is on my Ferrerman profile. Enjoy!
Mia

Seymour, CT

#13377 Apr 6, 2013
Thank You!
Luv ya':)

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Since: Jan 12

Barbi and Baron

#13378 Apr 7, 2013
Good morning fellow BRG gangsters. Just checking in and then out to enjoy this beautiful Sunday.
The clouds have cleared and we're looking at temps in the 80s this week!

“Resist Persist Exist”

Level 6

United States

#13379 Apr 7, 2013
Good morning friends and haters of the BRG thread! Hello to you Barbi

Got out to the accountant yesterday - glad thats over. But my relief was short lived. Afterwards we went to Marina Del Rey to walk the beach. I got pounded by a feral wave. And I had my camera with me!!! It's not destroyed, but you can hear grinding of sand when the lens opens and closes.

Now I'll probably will be spending the next couple of days getting the camera fixed and cleaning up the paper bomb that went off in my home.

beautiful v v v v

&li st=WL39AFE2399EE7E749

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Solar Eclipse set for Monday 8/21/17 11 min nasa eclipse link 1
Wife makes me wear her dirty thongs. 4 hr North Mountain 41
Men; Do U like the pubic hair resurgence on Wom... 6 hr North Mountain 10
Can guys between the ages 15-19 r*pe a woman in... (Mar '14) 8 hr North Mountain 5
I SEND NUDES FOR FUN KIKME@ hazzeliciouzz 15 hr hazzeliciouzz 1
Wearing hot sisters panties 17 hr tommurtha 1
Sister pics and panties 17 hr tommurtha 2
More from around the web