Books, Recipes, Gardening AND

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Since: Jan 12

Barbi and Baron

#10474 Jan 18, 2013
Hegel wrote:
<quoted text>Was it Proof of Heaven? If so, that's by a Neurosurgeon who had a very bad case of bacterial meningitis. He had a near death experience, something he'd heard patient's talk about but didn't believe. It's interesting hearing someone with such a scientific background talk about a very spiritual/emotional experience that ended up changing his life.
Yes! Thanks. I searched for reviews and was a little disappointed when I read about the giant butterfly wings, but then read that his angelic guide was his sister. I thought that interesting.

“Resist Persist Enlist Exist”

Level 6

Since: Sep 12

Anaheim, CA

#10475 Jan 18, 2013
Richard Barlow wrote:
<quoted text>
Morning Ms Rose. Hope your feeling better this morning.
Never knew the flu to move into the eyes. That's gotta be rough. I've never had the flu myself. You'd think that with all the people I come into contact with while I'm out running, I would have gotten it by now. Hope you get over it soon.
So your a cat person. Have never been one myself. Nothing against them, just never cared to own one. We have three on the ranch, but they fend for themselves. They live mostly out in the hay barn. Keeps the mice and other rodents down. As long as they earn their keep, I don't mind them being there. Yours looks like it might be a bit spoiled though.:)
I'm feeling the same - the eye thing was brief. Mainly my right ear. Nose, throat, ear, mouth. I'm just a germ party. Frankly, the flu cold thing seems the same symptom wise. Supposedly one is bacteria based and the other a virus. There is something to be said about lots of contact. It builds your immune system. I've been working from home and I think thats part of the problem. Not enough germ exposure.

About the cats - I come from a cat family. My father disliked dogs. If I brought one into the house, he'd yell at me to get rid of it. I think it stems back to his past. His parents bought an inbred cocker spaniel that did nothing but run the fence line and bark all day. The stray cat they fed, took to my father. When she had kittens, my grandfather made my father go with him to drown the litter. See where this is going?

So we had cats, and I was crazy for them - and horses. I'm a fan of the "oriental" breeds. They tend to be loud, demanding and obnoxious, but lots of fun. I found my latest acquisition after attending six cat shows. My "baby girl" fetches wads of paper and brings them back. Super loving. She really is a joy.

Level 6

Anaheim, CA

#10476 Jan 18, 2013
Hegel wrote:
<quoted text>Was it Proof of Heaven? If so, that's by a Neurosurgeon who had a very bad case of bacterial meningitis. He had a near death experience, something he'd heard patient's talk about but didn't believe. It's interesting hearing someone with such a scientific background talk about a very spiritual/emotional experience that ended up changing his life.
My Buddha buddy was telling me about this book. She has issues with her Catholic upbringing and is all vegan, yoga etc. She really liked it and kind of piqued my interest.

She took me to a Bahai meeting not to long ago (I still have the books - I should actually read them). Of course instead of absorbing the meeting, I was engaged with the interior of the home the meeting was held in. An older couples home that hadn't been remodeled. First generation French Regency - those orange velvet couches. lol

Level 6

Anaheim, CA

#10477 Jan 18, 2013
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>A...NO FLY ZONE....
a yuk yuk yuk yuk yuk

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#10478 Jan 18, 2013
Rose of Tralee wrote:
<quoted text>
It is interesting - lots of people moved to California after the Civil War. I'm always amazed at how interconnected their stories are. The Brown sisters opened up a sanatorium for tuberculosis sufferers.
Here is another story with director Frank Capra. Sierra Madre was the influence for the town Bedford Heights. SM is the next mountain town over from Altadena (the Browns homestead).
http://sierramadre.patch.com/articles/when-mr...
btw: I knew people thought like some of the political threads but until I saw it for myself, I had no idea the level of scary. Doesn't anyone read a book? question the bias of the authors and publishers of the stuff they read? I've read Richard going toe to toe with some of these nuts. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Then they go after him for being a "know -it-all" A if being informed was a bad thing.
The political threads are a different world indeed! I get all my Foxnews from John Stewart and idiots on Offbeat. There are not a lot of deep-thinkers there and if you read something outrageous, it is usually traceable to the usual suspects on Fox/Limbaugh/Beck etc. They get very angry and bitter when told they are wrong about something. Trolling Ferrerman was seen by some as THE way to defeat Obama in 2012. Well, THAT didn't happen!

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Since: Mar 10

Earth

#10479 Jan 18, 2013
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>Yes! Thanks. I searched for reviews and was a little disappointed when I read about the giant butterfly wings, but then read that his angelic guide was his sister. I thought that interesting.
I think it's got to be read in context to be appreciated, but it's clear he's been changed by whatever happened to me.

I know I mentioned it before, but if you're wanting some fiction with a sense of humor try Marian Keyes. Either Sushi For Beginners or Rachel's Holiday. Any of hers are good but those are my favorites. I'm waiting for her new book to be released over here.

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Earth

#10480 Jan 18, 2013
Rose of Tralee wrote:
<quoted text>
My Buddha buddy was telling me about this book. She has issues with her Catholic upbringing and is all vegan, yoga etc. She really liked it and kind of piqued my interest.
She took me to a Bahai meeting not to long ago (I still have the books - I should actually read them). Of course instead of absorbing the meeting, I was engaged with the interior of the home the meeting was held in. An older couples home that hadn't been remodeled. First generation French Regency - those orange velvet couches. lol
When they had the memorial service in Newtown, CT last month there were representatives from the local Bahai temple who participated. That same day I saw Rainn Wilson from The Office discussing growing up in the Bahai faith. It piqued my interest! The Bahai Temple here in Chicago is pretty cool. I've yet to see the inside but hopefully soon.
http://www.photography-plus.com/images/Chicag...

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Earth

#10482 Jan 18, 2013
I've got to get to work here. I'll talk to you all later!

Level 6

Anaheim, CA

#10483 Jan 18, 2013
Hegel wrote:
<quoted text>When they had the memorial service in Newtown, CT last month there were representatives from the local Bahai temple who participated. That same day I saw Rainn Wilson from The Office discussing growing up in the Bahai faith. It piqued my interest! The Bahai Temple here in Chicago is pretty cool. I've yet to see the inside but hopefully soon.
http://www.photography-plus.com/images/Chicag...
I thought I had three books but I did find this one called "God Speaks Again" An Introduction to the Baha'i' Faith by Kenneth E. Bowers. The service I attended was led by a German fellow who was the resident psychologist in a women's prison out in Chino. He had some interesting theories and stories to share.

A favorite religious writer of mine in Karen Armstrong. Her most popular book is the Spiral Staircase about her experience as a former nun. Since then she's written a host of books. I've read "Islam a Short History" and am trying to make my way through "A History of God"

Level 6

Anaheim, CA

#10484 Jan 18, 2013
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>The political threads are a different world indeed! I get all my Foxnews from John Stewart and idiots on Offbeat. There are not a lot of deep-thinkers there and if you read something outrageous, it is usually traceable to the usual suspects on Fox/Limbaugh/Beck etc. They get very angry and bitter when told they are wrong about something. Trolling Ferrerman was seen by some as THE way to defeat Obama in 2012. Well, THAT didn't happen!
Wiser minds prevailed.

I recall Beck going after the secret meaning behind a greek themed sculpture that sit above one of NYC's skyscraper entrances. Something I read from the perspective of the LA Times art critic. It was a hilarious rebuttal.

oh yay! I found it

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonste...

“That's all folks...”

Since: Jan 12

Paradise North Georgia

#10485 Jan 18, 2013
Two of my favorite books with some unique perspectives on religion:

The Rapture of Canaan By Sheri Reynolds

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Location hidden

#10486 Jan 18, 2013
Rose of Tralee wrote:
<quoted text>
Wiser minds prevailed.
I recall Beck going after the secret meaning behind a greek themed sculpture that sit above one of NYC's skyscraper entrances. Something I read from the perspective of the LA Times art critic. It was a hilarious rebuttal.
oh yay! I found it
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonste...
Dang- the video was pulled! I get the gist though. If one could forgive Beck for making millions (just doing his job...) at the expense of fools, one can't forgive the fools who (literally) support him for free.

KnightPirate

“Supporting The Girl...”

Since: Jun 10

With A Heart Of Gold

#10487 Jan 18, 2013
rubygoober wrote:
Two of my favorite books with some unique perspectives on religion:
The Rapture of Canaan By Sheri Reynolds
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Mine would be The Unoriginal Sinner and the Ice-Cream God by John Powers. Funnier that hell book about a kid growing up Catholic in Chicago.
kopper

Sevierville, TN

#10488 Jan 18, 2013
Test

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Earth

#10489 Jan 18, 2013
Rose of Tralee wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought I had three books but I did find this one called "God Speaks Again" An Introduction to the Baha'i' Faith by Kenneth E. Bowers. The service I attended was led by a German fellow who was the resident psychologist in a women's prison out in Chino. He had some interesting theories and stories to share.
A favorite religious writer of mine in Karen Armstrong. Her most popular book is the Spiral Staircase about her experience as a former nun. Since then she's written a host of books. I've read "Islam a Short History" and am trying to make my way through "A History of God"
The speaker you heard sounds fascinating. Have you watched The Dhamma Brothers? It's a documentary about prisoners in the the southern U.S. being taught Vipassana meditation and how it changes them. Vipassana isn't the easiest form of meditation. I don't think they use a mantra but just follow their breath....for hours. The point being that the longer you sit silently the more stuff comes up. It can be terrifying, but for some of the prisoners it was life-changing.

I love Karen Armstrong! Her books are good but I also really like hearing her speak. I can't remember who she was interviewed by when I watched her but it was probably Charlie Rose or Bill Moyers or both. Which reminds me...most of Moyers''On Faith and Reason' is on youtube. The part with Pema Chodron is one of the best interviews I've seen with her. She's another favorite!

Have you read Huston Smith's books on religion? I've got the one that's basically his overview (The World's Religions) but I've still not read his autobiography. He's one cool 90-something year old dude who's seen and done enough for 10 lifetimes.

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Earth

#10490 Jan 18, 2013
Wow, I write one post and have to leave again. For those of you who live here in Chicago....I'm about to
take 294 and then 55 to get to Midway. During rush hour. I think I'll be ready for a beer after that.

“Pass the sunscreen”

Level 8

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#10491 Jan 18, 2013
Hegel wrote:
Wow, I write one post and have to leave again. For those of you who live here in Chicago....I'm about to
take 294 and then 55 to get to Midway. During rush hour. I think I'll be ready for a beer after that.
It's Friday....You'll need at least 3 beers after that logjam.

Thee_Rickster

“How Tequila works”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#10492 Jan 18, 2013
Hegel wrote:
You might be ready for a 12 pack after that.

“Dragon my tail.”

Wherever

#10493 Jan 18, 2013
Thee_Rickster wrote:
<quoted text>
You might be ready for a 12 pack after that.
I've got moonshine! Sounds like that might be needed!

Thee_Rickster

“How Tequila works”

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#10494 Jan 18, 2013
covcas wrote:
<quoted text>I've got moonshine! Sounds like that might be needed!
It never hurts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
frAUDS (Oct '17) 2 hr victim 656
Senator John McCain: Passed away today our hea... 8 hr Hollywood 1
Retrieving Deleted Thread 10 hr me again 3
president S####it hole trump 10 hr magaousttrumpet2020 7
~Last Post~ (Apr '12) 11 hr North Mountain 8,512
Word association game (Sep '12) 13 hr Jackie 3,012
**** Last post wins a prop **** New game .. rea... (Jul '12) 13 hr Tank-_- 675