Books, Recipes, Gardening AND

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#712 Aug 5, 2012
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>That's ridiculous - a law against collecting water in a rain barrel? I don't want to go back to school but from what I remember about riparian rights, an owner owns the land (lets pretend its a stream or river) to the center of the stream. He doesn't own the water; only the underground water (or anything that is there) of his land. Also, he owns the air space above his land, but I think only 50 feet. Now this is without looking it all up. Ownership in precipitation? Geez, what is next?
The state, and whoever lobbyied for the law, believes that the rain must be allowed to reach the rivers so the owners may profit. If you look at that link I did for the other person, there's already big money in water and they are presently working on freaky ways to control rainfall, picking winners and losers via the weather, for profit. Thanks for mentioning "riparian rights" as I had never heard of that. I googled. IDK what they've done to enforce it. I'm afraid that we will see more of this as people seek to privatize everything but our lives.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Since: Jan 12

Barbi and Baron

#713 Aug 5, 2012
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>The state, and whoever lobbyied for the law, believes that the rain must be allowed to reach the rivers so the owners may profit. If you look at that link I did for the other person, there's already big money in water and they are presently working on freaky ways to control rainfall, picking winners and losers via the weather, for profit. Thanks for mentioning "riparian rights" as I had never heard of that. I googled. IDK what they've done to enforce it. I'm afraid that we will see more of this as people seek to privatize everything but our lives.
Well Hell the rain should reach the rivers because that's sort of how nature was planned to work but a few rain barrels here and there isn't gonna stop it. lol!
Of course, the key word here is "profit." Sigh...when did we become so greedy?
I will click on the link.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#714 Aug 5, 2012
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>Well Hell the rain should reach the rivers because that's sort of how nature was planned to work but a few rain barrels here and there isn't gonna stop it. lol!
Of course, the key word here is "profit." Sigh...when did we become so greedy?
I will click on the link.
Right. The rain falls on your roof- like it always did- but, instead of spilling on the ground, you collect it and save it...for a non-rainy day. Sounds wise to me.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#715 Aug 5, 2012
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>You have icky water in the midwest, too? I cannot drink our city tap water; it tastes like dirt. Our state mandates are so stringent our municipalities are required to build multi-million dollar waste water treatment plants and so our water and sewer bills are pushing $75 per month and the water in our toilets is purer than what we drink.
Many folks who have the misfortune of living within the city limits have bottled water delivered in the 5-gallon jugs.
We have wonderful water up here in the high country. We're in Montana. The only treatment that we have on our wells are grid filters. They remove any sand or other particles that might exist. The water comes out of the ground at 52 degrees. When we built the last house, we installed wind, solar and geothermal. Over the next two years, it was put in the kids houses also. I am proud to say, we are self sufficient. Pulled the plug almost four years ago. In six years when I retire, the only bill will be the property tax.(if things stay as they are) Who knows what law will be passed between now and then.

Location hidden

#716 Aug 5, 2012
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>Hi, Richard. Looks like it's based in San Jose.
Yes, we have all the fruits and nuts we could possibly ask for - I wonder why that's an old joke about San Francisco? lol...
We actually have our own fruit and nut processing plant in the little town of Winters (nearby) and a fruit drying company here, too. So come Christmas, there are plenty of local places where we can purchase dried fruit and nut baskets, along with jellies and cheeses. Lots of dairies and cheeses in the Napa Sonoma area, which is also about 30 minutes from where I live.
Wineries, galore, as well!
It's up on Pacheco between the valley and Gilroy. And speaking of Gilroy, have you ever been to the Garlic Featival there? I've been there twice, and it was a blast both times. If you get a chance to go, try the garlic ice cream. Sounds odd, but it's actually very good. I never thought of garlic in terms of being sweet before.

Location hidden

#717 Aug 5, 2012
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>Oh dear. That reminded me of a true story about a woman whose husband had been eating hot peppers from his garden. But this is Hegel's thread, so I'll say nothing other than, that poor thing. lol...
If its what I'm thinking, I think OOOOUCH might cover it.:-)
Mia

Seymour, CT

#718 Aug 6, 2012
Richard Barlow wrote:
<quoted text>
The only treatment that we have on our wells are grid filters. They remove any sand or other particles that might exist.
You don't need a water softener?

Location hidden

#719 Aug 6, 2012
Mia wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't need a water softener?
We are up high enough that the water hasn't had time to pick up enough minerals to make it hard. It's mostly snow melt there. The water in the stream is better than the water in most cities. Its what's called 'sweet water'. No softener needed unless the well punched thru a mineral deposit such as limestone.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#720 Aug 6, 2012
Richard Barlow wrote:
<quoted text>
It's up on Pacheco between the valley and Gilroy. And speaking of Gilroy, have you ever been to the Garlic Featival there? I've been there twice, and it was a blast both times. If you get a chance to go, try the garlic ice cream. Sounds odd, but it's actually very good. I never thought of garlic in terms of being sweet before.
Yes, I've been but not in years; can't stand the traffic, and it's far enough away where I'd rather spend a night than travel back home. For a long time, we had a great little Onion Festival here. But as volunteers started to drop off, so went the festival.

“Hello”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#722 Aug 6, 2012
Chili Beans wrote:
Anyone have a recipe for explosive diarrhea?
LOL,the habanero salsa recipe that i posted here.Had some last night and i was sweating up a storm and my hands were burning,lol.

“Make time ”

Level 10

Since: Sep 09

for contemplation

#723 Aug 6, 2012
Ferrerman wrote:
<quoted text>Right. The rain falls on your roof- like it always did- but, instead of spilling on the ground, you collect it and save it...for a non-rainy day. Sounds wise to me.
Potable water! It will be the new gold standard - soon.
Why I find this amusing (still), I do not know.

http://www.snopes.com/humor/letters/dammed.as...

“I am H.G's Sock”

Level 7

Since: Jul 12

Or is he mine?

#725 Aug 6, 2012
Anyone here have a garden? We just moved so I don't have one and it is missed this year.
I can cook but I don't like to. I love to craft. Does anyone do that?

“Hello”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#726 Aug 6, 2012
Abby Normal One wrote:
Anyone here have a garden? We just moved so I don't have one and it is missed this year.
I can cook but I don't like to. I love to craft. Does anyone do that?
I do.We grew a variety of items and im canning,corn,tomatoes,and a variety of peppers.The heat wave we had coupled with the drough affected a number of plants but overall we had a good crop this year.
Mia

Seymour, CT

#727 Aug 7, 2012
Richard Barlow wrote:
<quoted text>
We are up high enough that the water hasn't had time to pick up enough minerals to make it hard. It's mostly snow melt there.

The water in the stream is better than the water in most cities. Its what's called 'sweet water'. No softener needed unless the well punched thru a mineral deposit such as limestone.
You're lucky. It sounds nice.
We needed all kinds of Culligan equipment to get our water right.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#728 Aug 7, 2012
Mia wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived in a farmhouse for years on the outskirts of town where we could have water from an irrigation district, but we were fortunate enough to have an Artesion well and the water that came out of that well was as sweet and pure as can be.
Those portable water purifiers you hook up to your kitchen sink were becoming popular, and a salesman tried to sell me one. I let her know that it wasn't needed, but she had her little "test" kit that shows all the dirt that's really in your water. I remember how surprised she was when our water came out clear.
I never needed to use fabric softener, or Lime Away on my bathroom fixtures. I didn't even need hair conditioner, it was that soft.
I started giving gallon jugs of water to friends who came out, and then showed them where on the property they could come refill their jugs whenever they wanted to!

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#729 Aug 7, 2012
OK, I read what Hegel did with her "50 Shades of Grey" but bought it anyway. Only because it was 20 percent off.

I'll start my vent now.

I was first insulted by the editing. In the first chapter, the word "besieged" is not only used twice, but in the same paragraph following another sentence using it.

And the writing? I had to flip that book over to make sure I was reading something that is a best seller. Why? Is this what we're reading today?

The protagonist is an insufferable idiot. Pure cliche. Eyes too big for her face and, of course, they're blue. Oh, the author tries to add some rough around the edges so we'll sympathize with her, but do we really need literally hundreds of "Crap! Oh, crap! Holy crap!" Later we get to "Shit! Oh, shit! Holy shit!"

The only interesting character is Mr. Grey, although he's too perfect and I would like to fantasize about him if he were about 30 years older.

I do give the author credit for her ability to allow us to view in vivid detail those sex scenarios, but even that gets a little too graphic and annoying because I want more depth to the story.

I'm on chapter 14, impatiently trying to get to the good part, which I'm starting to worry isn't going to happen.

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Since: Mar 10

Earth

#735 Aug 7, 2012
Barbi A wrote:
OK, I read what Hegel did with her "50 Shades of Grey" but bought it anyway. Only because it was 20 percent off.
I'll start my vent now.
I was first insulted by the editing. In the first chapter, the word "besieged" is not only used twice, but in the same paragraph following another sentence using it.
And the writing? I had to flip that book over to make sure I was reading something that is a best seller. Why? Is this what we're reading today?
The protagonist is an insufferable idiot. Pure cliche. Eyes too big for her face and, of course, they're blue. Oh, the author tries to add some rough around the edges so we'll sympathize with her, but do we really need literally hundreds of "Crap! Oh, crap! Holy crap!" Later we get to "Shit! Oh, shit! Holy shit!"
The only interesting character is Mr. Grey, although he's too perfect and I would like to fantasize about him if he were about 30 years older.
I do give the author credit for her ability to allow us to view in vivid detail those sex scenarios, but even that gets a little too graphic and annoying because I want more depth to the story.
I'm on chapter 14, impatiently trying to get to the good part, which I'm starting to worry isn't going to happen.
You forgot all the blushing. What are the chances of a college graduate remaining a virgin in this day and age, unless it's for religious convictions or health issues? Not that there's anything wrong with that choice, but strictly from a sociological standpoint I think this was the first of her 50 Shades of Shyte.

The main female character (can't remember her name) is supposed to be intelligent, for God's sake, but it's like she's got some kind of emotional retardation or better yet, emotional amnesia. And he's only in his late 20s but is a billionaire. Right....

Don't even get me started on how the characters are supposed to be Americans but continually use words and phrases that are clearly British. Good Lord. The person who told me she liked it kept saying to give it, and him, more of a chance. "There's a reason he's the way he is!" I had to change the subject after that.

-Kevin-
Level 10

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

#736 Aug 7, 2012
Bret 33 wrote:
<quoted text>Well we know you arent one of em!
:-)
Nope. I'm OOOOLD!

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Earth

#737 Aug 7, 2012
Mia wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever get into the shower at a hotel and feel like you've lost a layer of skin? For some reason they seem to always have hard water issues.

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Earth

#738 Aug 7, 2012
For the Stephen King fans, here's a short video of him on Craig Ferguson's show. I think it must have been last night.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/late_late_show/video...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Skype 4 hr brittanyj 1
News Conway announces change in Topix.com's policing... (Aug '10) 4 hr Corruption 3
nice people only forum (Oct '15) 5 hr Guest 309
frAUDS (Oct '17) 5 hr Georgia 670
Describe Obama's Presidency in a "SINGLE" word. (Nov '13) 5 hr Wildcat80 6
**** Last post wins a prop **** New game .. rea... (Jul '12) 6 hr -Sprocket- 684
~Last Post~ (Apr '12) 7 hr texas pete 8,530