Books, Recipes, Gardening AND

“Pass the sunscreen”

Level 8

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#6292 Nov 29, 2012
_RandMan_ wrote:
<quoted text>Good to know. Thanks. I'm going to try not to piss her off! Now I'm scared!
You don't have to be scared.

When you piss her off, just toss somebody into the way and run like he**!

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#6293 Nov 29, 2012
Maverick 808 wrote:
<quoted text>You don't have to be scared.
When you piss her off, just toss somebody into the way and run like he**!
Ya, I found that one out when the subject of shoes came up.:)

“Resist Persist Exist”

Level 6

Since: Sep 12

United States

#6295 Nov 29, 2012
Richard Barlow wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Ms Rose. How are you this fine day?
We stay away from the Malinois as a family/companion dog. They were bred to be working dogs only. They can be aggressive towards people at times. The sheep herders and cattleman liked them because of their tenacity and the fact that they could put a pup out with an experienced dog and not have to mess with them again. Sometimes ever. If a rancher were to put out a male/female pair with his herd, he could conceivably never have to check the herd again. The dogs will not leave the herd and will reproduce their own replacements. They hunt to feed themselves and have no qualms about taking on packs of wolves and other predators. They have been known to lay in wait for hawks to swoop down on new born calfs and then spring up and pull the bird out of the air. Amazing animals actually, but not much of a family pet.
I had no idea about their predisposition. Kind of an amazing dog with that leave them alone and let the mom's train them. Figured they were just a country over (Belgium) shepherd. Your description makes them sound like a better choice then those herding dogs that most of us are familiar with. My girlfriend who trains horses used to breed a herding dog called an Australian Kelpie. Her's was a slender mid-size dog and blood red in color. This was over 25 years ago. I don't know if this still stands true, but at that time they were rare (at least in the US) I also recall that there were two types. Those that worked with cattle and those that worked with sheep.

I'd be curious about your opinion on Pit Bulls? Boy is that ever controversial these days.

“Resist Persist Exist”

Level 6

United States

#6296 Nov 29, 2012
btw: I think we just had a little earthquake

“Resist Persist Exist”

Level 6

United States

#6297 Nov 29, 2012
Barbi A wrote:
Here's an opinion I agree with:
http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20121129/O...
Me too Barbi. I guess the media didn't find a Texan pervert on a chat line steeling grls pics off FB worth of this kind of scrutiny. Putting a woman's address on-line on FB? I think she and her friend might be able to hire a lawyer to go after the deep pockets. Tastelessness, free speech and screaming fire in a crowded theater are recognized as being legally different.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Since: Jan 12

Barbi and Baron

#6298 Nov 29, 2012
Rose of Tralee wrote:
btw: I think we just had a little earthquake
I just checked and it looked like you had a little shaker in Malibu 3 hours ago. 3.2, so maybe it was an aftershock?

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#6299 Nov 29, 2012
Rose of Tralee wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too Barbi. I guess the media didn't find a Texan pervert on a chat line steeling grls pics off FB worth of this kind of scrutiny. Putting a woman's address on-line on FB? I think she and her friend might be able to hire a lawyer to go after the deep pockets. Tastelessness, free speech and screaming fire in a crowded theater are recognized as being legally different.
I'm just shaking my head. Earlier this year a group of UC Davis students were pepper sprayed by security thugs for peaceably protesting the war. I don't know what has been going on with this new faction of our society who label us "unpatriotic" and claim that we hate our soldiers because we don't believe in war.
I realize this woman behaved badly, but putting the media on the back burner for a moment, would this have happened if she'd done this in protest of anything unrelated to the military? No.

_RandMan_

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#6300 Nov 29, 2012
Rose of Tralee wrote:
<quoted text>
I had no idea about their predisposition. Kind of an amazing dog with that leave them alone and let the mom's train them. Figured they were just a country over (Belgium) shepherd. Your description makes them sound like a better choice then those herding dogs that most of us are familiar with. My girlfriend who trains horses used to breed a herding dog called an Australian Kelpie. Her's was a slender mid-size dog and blood red in color. This was over 25 years ago. I don't know if this still stands true, but at that time they were rare (at least in the US) I also recall that there were two types. Those that worked with cattle and those that worked with sheep.
I'd be curious about your opinion on Pit Bulls? Boy is that ever controversial these days.
Rose, pit bulls have been the only kind of dogs I've ever had. I love bull terriers. They're loveable, loyal, and the sweetest dogs you could ever imagine. I have two of them right now. They're well behaved and they're just big dorks. I've never raised a hand to them. But if they hear the F word, and believe me they know that word, they think world war 3 is starting. The only dogs I ever get are pound puppies. I would never buy one with all the ones in the shelter needing homes. I used to have two American Staffordshire Terriers, but the two I have now are just mutts. I rescued my little female about two years ago. She was about 7 years old then. I got my male when he was a puppy. He's about 10 now. I love them.

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Level 9

Since: May 07

Vincit qui se vincit

#6301 Nov 30, 2012
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>I just checked and it looked like you had a little shaker in Malibu 3 hours ago. 3.2, so maybe it was an aftershock?
I've still never felt an earthquake in my life and I would love to just to see what it feels like, although it should be a weak one! lol

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#6302 Nov 30, 2012
_RandMan_ wrote:
<quoted text>Rose, pit bulls have been the only kind of dogs I've ever had. I love bull terriers. They're loveable, loyal, and the sweetest dogs you could ever imagine. I have two of them right now. They're well behaved and they're just big dorks. I've never raised a hand to them. But if they hear the F word, and believe me they know that word, they think world war 3 is starting. The only dogs I ever get are pound puppies. I would never buy one with all the ones in the shelter needing homes. I used to have two American Staffordshire Terriers, but the two I have now are just mutts. I rescued my little female about two years ago. She was about 7 years old then. I got my male when he was a puppy. He's about 10 now. I love them.
I had a bad experience with a Pit Bull as well as a full blood German Shepard when I was younger, but the Pit freaked me out and damn near took my arm off.

The Shepard nearly took my nose off when I was aggravating him, nearly had to have stitches but the doctor was able to pull the skin back down and use bandages, lol.

-Kevin-
Level 10

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

#6303 Nov 30, 2012
The pit Bulls I've been around have always been overgrown puppies.

-Kevin-
Level 10

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

#6304 Nov 30, 2012
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>I've still never felt an earthquake in my life and I would love to just to see what it feels like, although it should be a weak one! lol
Ever heard a sonic boom?

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#6305 Nov 30, 2012
-Kevin- wrote:
The pit Bulls I've been around have always been overgrown puppies.
Yeah I know some as well, but it took me a while to relax around them. When I was in 9th grade I worked at a restaurant a couple miles away and would ride my bike to work, well the owners daughters ran the place and had Chows and I would have to get a running start and peddle as fast as I could up the hill through the parking lot with about 4 Chows chasing me, I would jump off my bike and in through a side door, on time the cornered me, so I picked up a large rock and THAT was the only time she ever came out and she took it as me throwing rocks at her dogs, I almost got fired! lol

Then there was the Pit that didn't like me because I was afraid of it after my other experiences and I ended up getting my arm bitten, luckily my friend called him off.

Now days I'm fine around dogs, but it took a while, lol.

Level 9

Vincit qui se vincit

#6306 Nov 30, 2012
-Kevin- wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever heard a sonic boom?
yeah several of them, we have a air force base here that used to house a wing of B-52's.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#6307 Nov 30, 2012
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>I've still never felt an earthquake in my life and I would love to just to see what it feels like, although it should be a weak one! lol
That's interesting, RickyF. Once you get used to them, they're no big deal. It's just what you would imagine - you feel movement but how much you feel depends, of course, on the magnitude. And it differs - it could be a sudden jolt, or a rolling sensation. Sometimes you feel nothing, especially when you're driving. Indoors, when I think I've felt an earthquake, I just look at my hanging ceiling fixtures. If they're swaying, then yep, we've had one!.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#6308 Nov 30, 2012
_RandMan_ wrote:
<quoted text>Rose, pit bulls have been the only kind of dogs I've ever had. I love bull terriers. They're loveable, loyal, and the sweetest dogs you could ever imagine. I have two of them right now. They're well behaved and they're just big dorks. I've never raised a hand to them. But if they hear the F word, and believe me they know that word, they think world war 3 is starting. The only dogs I ever get are pound puppies. I would never buy one with all the ones in the shelter needing homes. I used to have two American Staffordshire Terriers, but the two I have now are just mutts. I rescued my little female about two years ago. She was about 7 years old then. I got my male when he was a puppy. He's about 10 now. I love them.
I'm looking forward to meeting Toby and Bibi one of these days, RandMan.
I would not recommend a bull terrier to a woman, however, unless she's really strong. They're powerful animals!

_RandMan_

Location hidden

#6309 Nov 30, 2012
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>I had a bad experience with a Pit Bull as well as a full blood German Shepard when I was younger, but the Pit freaked me out and damn near took my arm off.
The Shepard nearly took my nose off when I was aggravating him, nearly had to have stitches but the doctor was able to pull the skin back down and use bandages, lol.
They ARE aggressive dogs. You have to raise them with a firm hand. They will do anything to please their masters, including being vicious, if that's what they're trained to do. Mine are just pets and they're lousy watchdogs. If somebody broke in my house, my dogs would probably help them carry out my stuff. They do sound intimidating when they bark though. But they love everybody. I take them to the bar with me on Saturday afternoons. They're allowed to run around in there and everybody likes to play with them. The owner gives them beef jerkies.

_RandMan_

Location hidden

#6310 Nov 30, 2012
Barbi A wrote:
<quoted text>I'm looking forward to meeting Toby and Bibi one of these days, RandMan.
I would not recommend a bull terrier to a woman, however, unless she's really strong. They're powerful animals!
You'll love them. Toby is just a big doofus and Bibi is a little bit shy. If you scratch her tummy though, you've got a friend for life. Toby got scared last night because of the storm and I woke up with him in my bed. He's still in there. I guess he's sleeping in today. I'm surprised he's not hanging around wanting his breakfast.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#6311 Nov 30, 2012
Rose of Tralee wrote:
<quoted text>
Morning Ms Rose. Beautiful day today. 21* this morning when I climbed out of the bunk. This Espar system is one of the best investments I've ever done.
The herding dogs are (in my opinion at least) the most fascinating animal there is. The herding instinct is in them naturally. It's not something that you have to teach them. The only teaching needed is for you to understand how each animal works and then use that for your own purposes.
Take for instance my Queenslands. They will naturally go to the herd and bunch them. Once bunched, they will start them moving towards another part of the pasture. When they get them moved a ways, they back off and let the herd disperse and go back to grazing. I can never get enough of watching them work. It's fascinating to me that they do this without any instruction from me. The cattle don't need to be moved, it' just that Mother Nature designed them to keep her herds moving in order to prevent over grazing of the grasslands. It's mind blowing to me at least.
As for my opinion of pit bulls. I have nothing against the animal itself. They only do what they were bred to do. It's that many of their owners have changed what the animal was originally bred for. Pit bulls, believe it or not, we're first bred as working dogs. The practice of using them for fighting was later developed after more suitable working animals were bred and imported to Scotland and Ireland. So as I said. I have no problem with the dog, it's many of the owners that I take issue with. You can train a chihuahua to be mean. Doesn't mean that the dog is naturally that way.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#6312 Nov 30, 2012
_RandMan_ wrote:
<quoted text>You'll love them. Toby is just a big doofus and Bibi is a little bit shy. If you scratch her tummy though, you've got a friend for life. Toby got scared last night because of the storm and I woke up with him in my bed. He's still in there. I guess he's sleeping in today. I'm surprised he's not hanging around wanting his breakfast.
Baron's a baby, too. But we did a test drive last night with the pizza deliveryman. I wanted to check out his watch dog skills. After the poor guy left, Baron got one of his special treats. Oh, and I've found out he likes his belly scratched, too!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
~Last Post~ (Apr '12) 1 hr Princess Hey 5,802
keep taste of the danforth greek 9 hr F UK OFF STEVE 16
Dating people who are half your age? (Jan '14) 15 hr Peter Smith 3
Earn Money Walking 18 hr Pierre 1
Top Ten Sexiest Women Of All Time ! (Mar '13) 23 hr Bubba 106
Earn Free Stock With Robinhood App - start inve... Wed Kreynol6 1
Welcome To The Topix Internet Top Mod 21 (Feb '12) Tue Slutslutslut0o0 5,488
More from around the web