Books, Recipes, Gardening AND

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Since: Mar 10

Earth

#3966 Oct 19, 2012
Ferrerman wrote:
You could always try your Police Department's Canine unit. They may be able to send over Officer Sparky to ticket the barking dog. Some offenses might be:
Overtime barking
Barking in a no barking zone
Handicapped barking (for dogs who wear those cones)
Barking in front of a fire hydrant
These things vary by municipality though so, check with you local Canine Cop.
This guy takes his job pretty seriously: http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-mediu...

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Earth

#3967 Oct 19, 2012
rubygoober wrote:
http://textfromdog.tumblr.com/ image/32681611809
Ferr~~
For the cone head dog...
Love it!

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Since: Jan 12

Barbi and Baron

#3968 Oct 19, 2012
Well, ArtGal and everybody - I just came from the SPCA and the adoption counselor wasn't sure "Ginger," the Pomeranian, and I would be a good match.
She was adorable, but I'm not sure she could see. She couldn't make eye contact or look at the treats I gave her. The counselor noticed that, too. She'd apparently not yet been seen by the veterinarian.
They encouraged me to look at other dogs and I found and fell in love with "Baron," a German Shepherd. I've had a Shepherd and it's my opinion they're great dogs, smart and loyal. I think he might be the right dog for me.
He's a castoff from a divorce, but is obedience trained. And, we connected right away. Also, he's only 4 years old. He's not the prettiest Shepherd; I could see his bloodline wasn't the greatest because his hind quarters were not as well developed as they should be, and his face is too black, but he's smart and lovable.
I'm going back tomorrow to spend more time with him.

“Resist Persist Exist”

Level 6

Since: Sep 12

Alhambra, CA

#3969 Oct 19, 2012
Richard Barlow wrote:
Would like to put a picture on my profile. Can't figure how to do it. Anyone able too help? I am on an iPhone. Please type slowly as I am not very good at this.:)
Richard - if you don't get someone else to help you first, I will. I'm finishing up an essay for a friends book so it will take a little time to get back to you. Do you know how to take a private message? Hit your name and then look up at the top. Should say messages (I think)

ArtGal

“Operation Duck Face”

Since: May 11

Quackers 4 You

#3970 Oct 19, 2012
Barbi A wrote:
Well, ArtGal and everybody - I just came from the SPCA and the adoption counselor wasn't sure "Ginger," the Pomeranian, and I would be a good match.
She was adorable, but I'm not sure she could see. She couldn't make eye contact or look at the treats I gave her. The counselor noticed that, too. She'd apparently not yet been seen by the veterinarian.
They encouraged me to look at other dogs and I found and fell in love with "Baron," a German Shepherd. I've had a Shepherd and it's my opinion they're great dogs, smart and loyal. I think he might be the right dog for me.
He's a castoff from a divorce, but is obedience trained. And, we connected right away. Also, he's only 4 years old. He's not the prettiest Shepherd; I could see his bloodline wasn't the greatest because his hind quarters were not as well developed as they should be, and his face is too black, but he's smart and lovable.
I'm sorry she wasn't a good match. Sigmund, my newest Pom adopted from a puppy mill, is blind in his left eye. He is also missing almost all of his teeth, canines are the only ones left. I am thrilled that you may have found a match for you! I have a little wooden sign over the doggie beds that reads "Whoever said money can't buy you love never adopted an animal." Good luck!

“Dragon my tail.”

Since: Jun 09

Wherever

#3971 Oct 19, 2012
DazzleDat wrote:
<quoted text>
Tillamook is really good cheese. It is my husband's favorite. Let me know how that recipe comes out. It looks interesting.
They quit shipping for a few years, but I'm glad to see they're back now. It's one of my few "likes" on Facebook, but they always have such great recipes. I'm going to order some baby loaves and see what else they have. I think I must have been a mouse (or a rat) in a previous life--cheese is food of the gods for me. I even like goat cheese. And some feta sprinkled over cold watermelon chunks--omg! I like

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Earth

#3972 Oct 19, 2012
Barbi A wrote:
Baron sounds like a sweetheart but I hope they find out what's causing Ginger not to make eye contact. Let us know how it goes tomorrow, Barbi!

“Illegitimi non carborundum”

Since: Apr 10

#3973 Oct 19, 2012
covcas wrote:
<quoted text>They quit shipping for a few years, but I'm glad to see they're back now. It's one of my few "likes" on Facebook, but they always have such great recipes. I'm going to order some baby loaves and see what else they have. I think I must have been a mouse (or a rat) in a previous life--cheese is food of the gods for me. I even like goat cheese. And some feta sprinkled over cold watermelon chunks--omg! I like
I am the same way. We tried the watermelon feta thing - OMG!!! Divine!!

“Dragon my tail.”

Since: Jun 09

Wherever

#3974 Oct 19, 2012
Waiting for a baby giraffe to be born. They say it could be any day now. I'll keep checking it out. 15 month gestation period and the baby could be up to 6 ft tall at birth. Ouch!

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/southcarolina/gre...

#3975 Oct 19, 2012
Barbi A wrote:
I have often said we don't choose them, they chose us. Sounds like you and Baron might be a match. Good luck!!
My little rescue and I are so bonded. My husband will look at him laying on his back in my lap, showing his underbite, eyes glazed over, grinning while I rub him and say "he's not spoiled at all" then laugh.

#3976 Oct 19, 2012
covcas wrote:
Waiting for a baby giraffe to be born. They say it could be any day now. I'll keep checking it out. 15 month gestation period and the baby could be up to 6 ft tall at birth. Ouch!
I don't know if I can do a birth tonight. Those pups word me out. LOL

Hegel

“The Force is with me”

Earth

#3977 Oct 19, 2012
covcas wrote:
Wow...15 months. Holy crap that's a long time. We were at the zoo in the weeks after a giraffe baby was born and they were showing the video in the viewing room. If I remember right she was standing and it just sort of went....plop.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#3978 Oct 19, 2012
ArtGal wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry she wasn't a good match. Sigmund, my newest Pom adopted from a puppy mill, is blind in his left eye. He is also missing almost all of his teeth, canines are the only ones left. I am thrilled that you may have found a match for you! I have a little wooden sign over the doggie beds that reads "Whoever said money can't buy you love never adopted an animal." Good luck!
Thanks! Baron will be more work, not to mention the cost of feeding him. He's as big as me! lol! But he's just more my type of dog.
This adoption process was a new experience for me. I had to fill out a questionnaire before I could even see Ginger outside of her cage, and have a 2-page application I'm filling out now for Baron! The counselor, I realized, was actually interviewing me while I played with both dogs.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#3979 Oct 19, 2012
And I met a little old lady who had completed her application and they refused to allow her to adopt two dogs she selected. She was crying!
She told me she had just lost her 17-year-old dog, her husband and her son.
She showed me the dog she wanted and she said she didn't understand why she couldn't have him. They also refused to allow her to have the second dog she wanted. It was so weird.
I told her to go to the SPCA in Marin or San Francisco.
But when I was leaving, she was in the middle of adopting another, older dog. It could be that the first two she wanted were not suitable to be around her grandchildren.
I just didn't expect such a thorough screening process!

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#3980 Oct 19, 2012
DazzleDat wrote:
<quoted text>
I have often said we don't choose them, they chose us. Sounds like you and Baron might be a match. Good luck!!
My little rescue and I are so bonded. My husband will look at him laying on his back in my lap, showing his underbite, eyes glazed over, grinning while I rub him and say "he's not spoiled at all" then laugh.
Thanks, Dazzle. I think he just may be the ticket for me right now! And it will be a good reason for me to keep up with my walking, too! Or it will probably be running with him!

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#3981 Oct 19, 2012
Hegel wrote:
<quoted text>Baron sounds like a sweetheart but I hope they find out what's causing Ginger not to make eye contact. Let us know how it goes tomorrow, Barbi!
I will!

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Barbi and Baron

#3982 Oct 19, 2012
covcas wrote:
Dazzle--just a little side trip here. I love Tillamook cheese and just found this recipe. I'm sure you could use any brand, but found this one on a Tillamook link. All I can get locally is very small blocks of sharp or extra sharp and I don't like the extra sharp at all. I'll be ordering online, though. Best cheese ever!
http://sensiblysara.com/2012/10/deep-dish-che...
Covcas, we have the good fortune of being able to buy Tillamook anywhere. I like it sliced for sandwiches or burgers. But it's kind of expensive. It's really good shredded over casseroles, too! And eggs, and just about everything!

“Resist Persist Exist”

Level 6

Alhambra, CA

#3983 Oct 19, 2012
Richard Barlow wrote:
<quoted text>
Dogs are pack animals that live within a hierarchy community. The alpha controls the behavior of the group. To control your dogs barking,'you' must become the alpha.'You' must be part of the pack. The animal becomes a part of the family only after it knows its place within the pack. Far too many people treat their pets as 'children'. When they do that, the animal no longer has a sense of position among the others in its pack. That's when you start seeing pets that act out towards others. If the animal knows its place and who is the alpha, it will look to that person for leadership and instruction on what it does while interacting with others 'not' of its pack. Every potential dog owner should should watch a video about wolves to get an idea of how their new pet will see them. Just because their cute and cuddly, doesn't mean that millions of years of genetics just simply disappears.
I've heard the talk with Alpha and Omegas. Most of my friends are dog people. In fact my sister's former roommate trained San Diego's police dogs. I would defiantly train my dog. I'm thinking more in terms of a larger small dog - like a Basenji (they don't bark) but more likely a mutt and one that would come from a high kill shelter. I have pretty good instincts when it comes to animals and people.

Did you ever see the wolf program where they were reintroducing wolves to Yellowstone? It was the one where the outcast was this solid black female. She was the omega among all the wolves. She was treated poorly by the clan and would probably never have a litter of her own. Instead she would have been relegated to taking care of her sisters pups instead. But like a true cinderella story. The Alpha male took a liking to her. She ended up being top dog.

“Resist Persist Exist”

Level 6

Alhambra, CA

#3984 Oct 19, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Small dogs, small bladders. My folks have had yorkies and another small dog and they are terrible. They have to wear doggie diapers.
My moms Australian labradoodle just had puppies on Wednesday. She had 9 of them. She's a breeder, but the dogs are just like family pets. They are no different than my own dogs and live indoors. She has two females right now and has about one litter a year. This was the first litter for the one female and she seems to have an easier time giving birth than the other.
They make good service dogs.
Yorkie? Tooooo small. I do a fair amount of walking in our local open spaces so I'm looking for something with a little more strength and weight.On the construction site I was recently working on, the electrician Dave told me that the area we were working in had domestic dogs that were running in packs. He captured the Pomeranian. Must have been cut with something else in that he was bigger and followed Dave with the spirit of a larger creature. I asked him how attached he was, but he said it was to late - a love match.

So your moms dogs a mixture of Lab, Poodle AND Australian Shepherd? Wow, they must be spectacular. All really smart breeds

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#3985 Oct 19, 2012
Rose of Tralee wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard the talk with Alpha and Omegas. Most of my friends are dog people. In fact my sister's former roommate trained San Diego's police dogs. I would defiantly train my dog. I'm thinking more in terms of a larger small dog - like a Basenji (they don't bark) but more likely a mutt and one that would come from a high kill shelter. I have pretty good instincts when it comes to animals and people.
Did you ever see the wolf program where they were reintroducing wolves to Yellowstone? It was the one where the outcast was this solid black female. She was the omega among all the wolves. She was treated poorly by the clan and would probably never have a litter of her own. Instead she would have been relegated to taking care of her sisters pups instead. But like a true cinderella story. The Alpha male took a liking to her. She ended up being top dog.
I have seen those programs. When they first proposed the idea, myself and others in the area were opposed to it. We knew it would only be a matter of time before they saw our cattle as an easy food source. Luckily, I haven't had any problems yet. But I know some who have lost stock in the past. It's their nature to hunt, so I don't fault them for doing what nature intended. But it costs money to raise cattle and I don't intend to feed them for free. The department of natural resources will reimburse us for any confirmed wolf/livestock kill, but there is a huge difference in the replacement cost and the sale price of a beef cow. I still have my permit to shoot, but I hope I don't have to use it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Being naughty 3 hr North Mountain 72
Is this the new Human Sexual Forum? 4 hr North Mountain 32
Is giving a Woman Oral magical ? 5 hr North Mountain 102
A-Z of "ANY WORD" that comes to mind! (Sep '12) 5 hr North Mountain 632
Topix Posters Music Thread 5 hr North Mountain 58
SOCKS vrs SOCKS ! (Oct '11) 9 hr -Sprocket- 1,637
~Last Post~ (Apr '12) 9 hr -Sprocket- 6,422
More from around the web