"Topix" Message Board Website Critici...

"Topix" Message Board Website Criticized For Allowing "Abusive, Cruel" Comments

There are 329 comments on the KLEX TV story from May 25, 2011, titled "Topix" Message Board Website Criticized For Allowing "Abusive, Cruel" Comments. In it, KLEX TV reports that:

LEX 18 is on special assignment asking the question: "When does the popular message board, Topix, go too far?" Many people say the website posts abusive comments that can ruin reputations, to the point where the attorney general's office gets dozens of complaints on a regular basis.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KLEX TV.

Level 6

Since: Apr 10

USA

#84 Jun 4, 2011
Torchwood wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. What has topix done to stop the trolls and stop the victimization? It looks like nothing to me.
Do you think if Topix hired more people to be moderators, would that have an effect on trolling?

“Supporting The Girl...”

Since: Jun 10

With A Heart Of Gold

#85 Jun 4, 2011
TheTank wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think if Topix hired more people to be moderators, would that have an effect on trolling?
That would only attract more trolls.

Level 6

USA

#86 Jun 4, 2011
KnightPirate wrote:
<quoted text>
That would only attract more trolls.
And if that did, do you think the TopMods would step up on using their banhammers?

“Supporting The Girl...”

With A Heart Of Gold

#87 Jun 4, 2011
TheTank wrote:
<quoted text>And if that did, do you think the TopMods would step up on using their banhammers?
The opposition would simply respond with trolltrumpers.

Level 7

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#88 Jun 4, 2011
Are you guys really still fighting "troll wars" after all this time? The answer is simple: If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Topix is what it is and their new TOS pretty much tells you that.
KnightPirate wrote:
<quoted text>
The opposition would simply respond with trolltrumpers.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Level 8

Since: Apr 08

Plum, Purplonia

#89 Jun 4, 2011
Maybe we should make a movie about this called Troll Wars.

The Trolls Fight Back could be one of the parts.

Level 6

USA

#90 Jun 4, 2011
Gynger wrote:
Are you guys really still fighting "troll wars" after all this time? The answer is simple: If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Topix is what it is and their new TOS pretty much tells you that.
<quoted text>
No, I believe that fight died a few months ago. Everything has been centered around Kevin and Figaroo and the usual Miss Hoge and PT War.

Level 7

Location hidden

#91 Jun 5, 2011
I get royalties for the name!
Purple Gurl wrote:

Level 7

Location hidden

#92 Jun 5, 2011
Well, I don't know anyone but Miss Hoge and I will stay as far away from her as I can....I'm glad I'm not involved in any of that!

How are you Tank?
TheTank wrote:
<quoted text>No, I believe that fight died a few months ago. Everything has been centered around Kevin and Figaroo and the usual Miss Hoge and PT War.

Level 8

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#93 Jun 5, 2011
Gynger wrote:
Well, I don't know anyone but Miss Hoge and I will stay as far away from her as I can....I'm glad I'm not involved in any of that!
How are you Tank?
<quoted text>
Thou shalt not tangle with __________ I'll let you fill in the blank.

Level 7

Location hidden

#94 Jun 5, 2011
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
<quoted text>Thou shalt not tangle with __________ I'll let you fill in the blank.

“Supporting The Girl...”

With A Heart Of Gold

#95 Jun 5, 2011
Purple Gurl wrote:
Maybe a video game?

Level 10

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

#96 Jun 5, 2011
TheTank wrote:
<quoted text>No, I believe that fight died a few months ago. Everything has been centered around Kevin and Figaroo and the usual Miss Hoge and PT War.
It's the same handful of people starting them all though. ;-) As soon as one cools down they have to start another ;-)

Level 8

Plum, Purplonia

#97 Jun 5, 2011
KnightPirate wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe a video game?
That could work out great. Of course, this might already be a video game. That is how a lot of us regard Topix. We treat it as a game. We just need better referees for the players who commit fouls.

“Supporting The Girl...”

With A Heart Of Gold

#98 Jun 5, 2011
Purple Gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
That could work out great. Of course, this might already be a video game. That is how a lot of us regard Topix. We treat it as a game. We just need better referees for the players who commit fouls.
Good point. I see we're both at level three. Maybe if we commit a foul the mods can drop us a level. If I have to see this green much longer I quit. You have any inside track on when we go purple? I'd settle for Lilac right now.

Level 8

Plum, Purplonia

#99 Jun 5, 2011
KnightPirate wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. I see we're both at level three. Maybe if we commit a foul the mods can drop us a level. If I have to see this green much longer I quit. You have any inside track on when we go purple? I'd settle for Lilac right now.
That is similar to what they do on Yahoo! Answers. While it is supposed to be a knowledge sharing resource, it is treated like a game. You spend 5 points to ask questions and receive 2 for an answer. You gain 10 if your answer is selected as the "best answer" for the question. You lose 10 for violations.(Now, it is more like you lose 2 for a simple deletion, but 10 if you appeal and are still found in violation.)

No idea on the next color. Just to guess, it is probably blue or orange. I only guessed this level would be green by process of elimination. Considering the colors used in general by Topix, and given that the first two were white and grey, then orange, blue, and green were likely. I could be wrong, but it will probably be blue or orange. At least green goes with my avatar.

Level 6

USA

#100 Jun 5, 2011
Gynger wrote:
How are you Tank?
<quoted text>
I'm good. I'm on a long vacation so I've been relaxing and watching the game.

Level 7

Location hidden

#101 Jun 5, 2011
I'm glad to hear it.
See you around :)
TheTank wrote:
<quoted text>I'm good. I'm on a long vacation so I've been relaxing and watching the game.

Level 1

Since: May 11

Sharpsburg, KY

#102 Jun 5, 2011
Topix has a lot of ''bugs'' freedom of speech, then theres slander I dont think its right that the person being slandered should have to pay to get coments taken off here . I do think those that write things to slander the other person should be banned thier isp should be copyed so they dont just make a new name . but topix is no better than a rag mag. most of the stuff written is trash and the name calling is just lame as adults that wont grow up . its sad some on here use topix as a public toilet and write trash . it would be nice if some of the people could grow up and just talk about things that are really important . but topix is what what it is . for good bad or indifferent . and some times its even funny what people write . thats just my feeling and mine alone just speaking my feeling . what i say its not meant to upset anyone iam a peaceful person . so whats your feeling on what i said?

Level 6

USA

#103 Jun 6, 2011
screensaver wrote:
Topix has a lot of ''bugs'' freedom of speech, then theres slander I dont think its right that the person being slandered should have to pay to get coments taken off here . I do think those that write things to slander the other person should be banned thier isp should be copyed so they dont just make a new name . but topix is no better than a rag mag. most of the stuff written is trash and the name calling is just lame as adults that wont grow up . its sad some on here use topix as a public toilet and write trash . it would be nice if some of the people could grow up and just talk about things that are really important . but topix is what what it is . for good bad or indifferent . and some times its even funny what people write . thats just my feeling and mine alone just speaking my feeling . what i say its not meant to upset anyone iam a peaceful person . so whats your feeling on what i said?
My feelings are content after reading your post. I must say though, I concur.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mega Fort 1 hr --Rickster-- 11,703
Campfire Memories 2 hr Just Slim 4,459
The Wabbit Hutch (May '11) 5 hr Junket 1,281
blog please read :) 16 hr ooalfalfa 1
Nice People only Forum (May '13) 23 hr SEMO 513
~Last Post~ (Apr '12) Sun NotaGoth 3,489
Helicopter (Nov '14) Sat Just Slim 29
More from around the web