Which laptop Brand is better in perfo...

Which laptop Brand is better in performance?

Posted in the Topix Forum

“You may call me pat”

Level 3

Since: Jun 12

Nairobi, Kenya

#1 Aug 1, 2012
I'm torn between Toshiba, Dell or HP. My friends advice me that Dell has issues with it's harddrive and HP has problems with it's batteries. Is this true? Kindly advice please.

“You may call me pat”

Level 3

Nairobi, Kenya

#2 Aug 1, 2012
Plus Toshiba isn't cute in appearance ;-(

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Since: Jan 12

Barbi & Baron

#3 Aug 1, 2012
Dell is supposed to be the best, but I bought a relative a HP about five years ago.
It's been dropped, neglected maintenance, questionable or no security, used with unsecured networks, etc. Now, two of the keys are missing (cat sleeps on it and then pried them out) and it's still working beautifully.
I have a HP laptop, as well, but rarely use it.

“You may call me pat”

Level 3

Nairobi, Kenya

#4 Aug 1, 2012
:-)
Barbi A wrote:
Dell is supposed to be the best, but I bought a relative a HP about five years ago.
It's been dropped, neglected maintenance, questionable or no security, used with unsecured networks, etc. Now, two of the keys are missing (cat sleeps on it and then pried them out) and it's still working beautifully.
I have a HP laptop, as well, but rarely use it.
thank you. Have you by any chance heard any complains about Dell's hard drives? I've heard rumors that they problems in performance later on in their lifetime use.

“Grrrrr”

Level 8

Since: Jan 12

Barbi & Baron

#5 Aug 5, 2012
-patricia- wrote:
:-)<quoted text> thank you. Have you by any chance heard any complains about Dell's hard drives? I've heard rumors that they problems in performance later on in their lifetime use.
I don't really know, Patricia. I owned a hand-me-down Dell for awhile and it was fine with me. Did a great job. Your best bet would be research. Consumer Reports is a great source for getting the truth about products. Also, you might want to go to a tech forum for some help. Good luck!

“Illegitimi non carborundum”

Since: Apr 10

#6 Aug 5, 2012
I got a Dell about 7 years ago but it died last year. I didn't have hardware issues except with the keyboard. That being said I don't think their performance is worth the price. Although Barbi has apparently had good luck with HP but I know people that have had issues with their HP's. One guy had to have HP replace his 3 times before he got one that didn't have a ton of issues. I'm just not a fan of HP. I don't even like their printers anymore and at one time they were the gold standard for high velocity business printing. Right now we've got a gateways. I got a netbook last year and liked it so much that I bought a notebook a few months ago. So far no problems.

Level 10

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

#8 Aug 6, 2012
Apple

“You may call me pat”

Level 3

Nairobi, Kenya

#9 Aug 6, 2012
Apple is expensive ;-( Thankyou Barbi, DazzleDat. I bought a Dell machine yesterday. Thanks for your answers.

Level 10

Since: Nov 09

Smirk .. ;-)

#10 Aug 6, 2012
You get what you pay for :-)

“You may call me pat”

Level 3

Nairobi, Kenya

#11 Aug 6, 2012
What's that supposed to mean?

“To be or not to be”

Level 9

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#12 Aug 6, 2012
All of them, Dell, Toshiba, HP are good. It depends on your needs. If you have a lot of sunlight in your area, then a laptop with a good video card is what you need. The police use Panasonic Toughbooks in their cars.

Level 1

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

#13 Jun 16, 2013
Apple is the Best laptop brand (according http://thebestlaptopbrands.com/ )

“So it's not you, It's them?”

Level 9

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#14 Jun 17, 2013
I bought three (3) Dell XP-33 laptops 5+ years ago, for ~$5,000, since I'd owned 4 of their desktops and had good luck with them. Two (2) of the 3 XP-33s had nvidia gaming GPUs and they ran way two "hot" for the laptop, even with external fans added.

During the extended warranties I'd thankfully bought, we experienced BSD four (4) times, had three (3) fried mother boards and three (3) other catastrophic events occur, with major downtime, only with the 2 laptops with the nvidia gaming GPUs.

Instead of addressing the GPU-related problem, Dell's repairmen only replaced parts and got them running. Several servicemen admitted there was a compatability problem with the "hot" GPUs and laptops and they'd "been busy" because of it.

I spoke with Dell repeatedly then. They refused to address the compatability problem and clearly were interested only in stringing laptops and customers along until warranties expired. Their servicemen said they should have been recalled.

Dell was not a responsible corporate actor, took no or little interest in fixing a mess they and nvidia had created and, as a result, I'll never buy ANYTHING from them again. If you buy Dell products, be aware that you do so at your own risk!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Topix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Campfire Memories 5 hr La Femme Accident 4,450
Mega Fort 5 hr ManRand 11,435
The Wabbit Hutch (May '11) 8 hr Sharlene45 1,278
~Last Post~ (Apr '12) 10 hr -Sprocket- 3,488
Nice People only Forum (May '13) 10 hr SouthernBelle 511
Helicopter (Nov '14) 19 hr Just Slim 29
Word association game (Sep '12) Fri Honest Babe 1,061
More from around the web