West to Syria opposition: Assad will ...

West to Syria opposition: Assad will remain in power

There are 5 comments on the Tehran Times story from Dec 18, 2013, titled West to Syria opposition: Assad will remain in power. In it, Tehran Times reports that:

Western nations have indicated to the Syrian opposition that next month peace talks may not lead to the removal of President Bashar al-Assad and that his Alawite minority will remain key in any transitional administration, opposition sources say.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tehran Times.

Syrian

Waterford, CT

#1 Dec 18, 2013
The West has finally woken up to reality.
mxlplx

Waterbury, VT

#2 Dec 18, 2013
I think this was the West's 'realpolitik' strategy for a year now. Back off the crumbling FSA, allow the extremists to go about their dirty business and re-galvanize Western opinion and allow just enough time to pass and memory to fade to do a gradual about face on Syria. It's called 'not losing face' and to hell with who dies during the turnaround.

You can't tell me they didn't know the FSA was a lost cause over a year ago.
raj

Ashburn, VA

#3 Dec 18, 2013
kya ayga aaj
Syrian

Waterford, CT

#4 Dec 19, 2013
mxlplx wrote:
I think this was the West's 'realpolitik' strategy for a year now. Back off the crumbling FSA, allow the extremists to go about their dirty business and re-galvanize Western opinion and allow just enough time to pass and memory to fade to do a gradual about face on Syria. It's called 'not losing face' and to hell with who dies during the turnaround.
Good point!
Syrian

Waterford, CT

#5 Dec 19, 2013
mxlplx wrote:
Good point!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terrorism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'The War Is Not Over' (Sep '06) 12 hr crusty 276,629
News White House scrambles to explain Trump's respon... 20 hr youll shoot your ... 33
News Rochester deputy mayor calls Charlottesville vi... Mon Bovenzi13 1
News Ivanka Trump calls out 'white supremacy' Aug 13 naivete 1
News John McCain to force vote onnew Afghanistan war... Aug 10 bottlecap 2
News Being overweight may be caused by the clock in ... Aug 7 Notorious 34
News Democratic Congresswoman says Paul Ryan 'stripp... Jul 19 Red Crosse 2
More from around the web