The Rise Of Al-Qaeda 2.0

The Rise Of Al-Qaeda 2.0

There are 5 comments on the Weekday Magazine story from Jul 23, 2013, titled The Rise Of Al-Qaeda 2.0. In it, Weekday Magazine reports that:

A fighter from the Islamist Syrian rebel group the Al-Nusra Front is seen in front of a burning vehicle, caused by what activists said were missiles fired by a government fighter jet, at their base in Raqqa province, Syria.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Weekday Magazine.

Syrian

Waterford, CT

#1 Jul 23, 2013
Finally the West is waking up!
mxlplx

United States

#2 Jul 23, 2013
WOW

This from Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty?

I thought these were CIA funded. Are we seeing CIA infighting now too?

The Rise Of Al-Qaeda 2.0

Ibrahim Talib, head researcher and deputy director of the Center for Strategic Studies in Damascus, says there are more than 130,000 foreign jihadists currently fighting in Syria, with many having vowed allegiance to the Al-Qaeda franchise.

"I can say with full confidence that there are more than 130,000 foreign and Arab terrorists who are fighting in Syria -- I can fully confirm this number, which is huge and dangerous," Talib says. "Tunisians come first, with about 15,000 fighters, then Libyans, then Saudis, then Egyptians and Palestinians followed by Lebanese. After that comes the [fighters] from outside the region. There are more than 40 countries that have citizens fighting in Syria."

The increasing number of Sunni extremists among the opposition fighting in Syria has concerned secular rebels, who reportedly fear that Al-Qaeda-linked militants are hijacking their local struggle against the government and making the country a hotbed of international terrorism.

That has led to infighting among the rebels. Groups like the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD), a Syrian affiliate of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), have engaged recently in fierce battles with Al-Qaeda-linked rebels in northern Syria.

Salih Muslim, head of the PYD, says his troops have encountered Taliban fighters among the ranks of the extremist Sunni groups. "Extremist Islamist forces like Al-Qaeda, the Al-Nusra Front, Ahrar Al-Sham, and other similar groups can go where they want and they can enter from any country they want," Muslim says.

"They come from Turkey, Iraq, and other places. They have been there for a long time and make up a large portion of the [main rebel group] the Syrian Free Army. The Syrian Free Army has denied it but the extremist groups fight under their name. These groups are everywhere."
Syrian

Waterford, CT

#3 Jul 24, 2013
mxlplx wrote:
WOW
This from Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty?
I thought these were CIA funded. Are we seeing CIA infighting now too?
The Rise Of Al-Qaeda 2.0
Ibrahim Talib, head researcher and deputy director of the Center for Strategic Studies in Damascus, says there are more than 130,000 foreign jihadists currently fighting in Syria, with many having vowed allegiance to the Al-Qaeda franchise.
"I can say with full confidence that there are more than 130,000 foreign and Arab terrorists who are fighting in Syria -- I can fully confirm this number, which is huge and dangerous," Talib says. "Tunisians come first, with about 15,000 fighters, then Libyans, then Saudis, then Egyptians and Palestinians followed by Lebanese. After that comes the [fighters] from outside the region. There are more than 40 countries that have citizens fighting in Syria."
The increasing number of Sunni extremists among the opposition fighting in Syria has concerned secular rebels, who reportedly fear that Al-Qaeda-linked militants are hijacking their local struggle against the government and making the country a hotbed of international terrorism.
That has led to infighting among the rebels. Groups like the Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD), a Syrian affiliate of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), have engaged recently in fierce battles with Al-Qaeda-linked rebels in northern Syria.
Salih Muslim, head of the PYD, says his troops have encountered Taliban fighters among the ranks of the extremist Sunni groups. "Extremist Islamist forces like Al-Qaeda, the Al-Nusra Front, Ahrar Al-Sham, and other similar groups can go where they want and they can enter from any country they want," Muslim says.
"They come from Turkey, Iraq, and other places. They have been there for a long time and make up a large portion of the [main rebel group] the Syrian Free Army. The Syrian Free Army has denied it but the extremist groups fight under their name. These groups are everywhere."
Just amazing!!
John McCain

United States

#4 Jul 24, 2013
You ain't seen nuthin' yet. Wait 'til we start flying air cover for those guys.

'Operation Jihad' is in the works!
Syrian

Waterford, CT

#5 Jul 24, 2013
John McCain wrote:
You ain't seen nuthin' yet. Wait 'til we start flying air cover for those guys.
'Operation Jihad' is in the works!
LOL!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terrorism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How to Fight Extremism with Atheism Sep 27 Eagle 12 3
News Syria believes it's on way to military victory Sep 26 RUSSIAs VIETNAM 5
News 'The War Is Not Over' (Sep '06) Sep 23 mook 276,652
News Bin Laden son-in-law arrested in Jordan is brou... (Mar '13) Sep 21 bldg seven 73
News Will either side blink over North Carolina's Ho... Sep 20 TomInElPaso 1
News Russian Man Sentenced For Fighting Beside Islam... Sep 19 Stephany McDowell 1
News Muslims connect with their Adirondack neighbors... Sep 19 too funny bob 2
More from around the web