NSA surveillance pits liberty against...

NSA surveillance pits liberty against security

There are 154 comments on the The Salinas Californian story from Jun 6, 2013, titled NSA surveillance pits liberty against security. In it, The Salinas Californian reports that:

Public disclosure of the federal government's effort to track terrorists through the telephone records of average citizens has reinvigorated a national debate over the balancing act between security and liberty.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Salinas Californian.

spocko

Oakland, CA

#131 Jun 12, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly, it was the work ethic and patriotism that made this country the super power, not the liberal infused curriculum. The liberal ideology is what's bringing this nation down to third world standards.
Especially with friggen half retards like you, it was the public school sytem that provided an educated workforce for the country to prosper, just as it did in the UK, Germany, France, Switzerland etc.

“KONA, baby!”

Since: Jul 08

Jacksonville, FL

#132 Jun 12, 2013
Earth Child 1 wrote:
<quoted text>That's because you have something to hide and are against the surveillance.
No, it's because I don't understand how anyone is so willing to forfeit their rights.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#133 Jun 12, 2013
Either did other people, TEN YEARS AGO.

Now teabaggers are whining.

“To contract new debts...”

Since: Apr 08

is not the way to pay old ones

#134 Jun 12, 2013
yeah, that's what I thought.

poosy liberal

“Shoot for the stars”

Since: Dec 10

Planet Earth

#135 Jun 13, 2013
Pappa wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it's because I don't understand how anyone is so willing to forfeit their rights.
it's not forfeiting rights. We don't live in the "Leave it to Beaver" days because the technology we have now didn't exists back then and we have more homegrown terrorists and terrorist groups right here in the US. Americans have the right to be protected from homegrown terrorists, supremacist militia groups, Christian identity groups, cyber terrorists, etc........who, BTW, are also the same people with the biggest mouths complaining that their rights are being violated......go figure.
CBOW

Dover, PA

#136 Jun 13, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>there is certainly choice in placing academics over sports, as you falsely asserted.
you clearly said it was that parents and children just weren't that interested or invested, right after saying it was the systems fault.
you really should try to read your own posts and edit them for stupidity and contradictions...
Understand this woody. The public schools used to offer scholarships to colleges on academics alone. Now, they focus more on sports abilities than academia. Is that so hard to understand? The very reason that the "alleged" choice of parents and kids choosing the sports program over academics IS DIRECTLY attributed to this fact. DUH!
CBOW

Dover, PA

#137 Jun 13, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
And what would you know about history?!
More than you I'll wager to say......You only know the propaganda that has been force fed to you, numbnuts.
CBOW

Dover, PA

#138 Jun 13, 2013
spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
Especially with friggen half retards like you, it was the public school sytem that provided an educated workforce for the country to prosper, just as it did in the UK, Germany, France, Switzerland etc.
Depends on what you think is educated. Take a long hard look around you at the most recent generations. They can't even make change without a calculator. LOL. Are you one of those "educated" ones? LOL!!!!

#139 Jun 13, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Understand this woody. The public schools used to offer scholarships to colleges on academics alone. Now, they focus more on sports abilities than academia. Is that so hard to understand? The very reason that the "alleged" choice of parents and kids choosing the sports program over academics IS DIRECTLY attributed to this fact. DUH!
Little known fact, the Massachusetts public school system offers scholorships to any Massachusetts State College for any HS student in the top 25% academically.
sinic

United States

#140 Jun 13, 2013
Lamer wrote:
5 pages and not one word on the judical branch whom let this overreach happen. You should expect your gov to overreach, and overreach often, but if your checks & balances break down and you say nothing then dont be surprised with what comes next.
Checks and balances only work if the one of the three branches disagrees on the matter at hand and takes action. They all seem to agree that obtaining the phone records are legal. The press (media) and many of the public are the ones making noise. Neither seem to be bothered by the data being collected by private companies for sale, and of course it is available to governments.
Check out Intellus.com and related web sites. You too can spy, for a fee.
CBOW

Dover, PA

#141 Jun 13, 2013
Hunglo wrote:
<quoted text>
Little known fact, the Massachusetts public school system offers scholorships to any Massachusetts State College for any HS student in the top 25% academically.
State College.
sinic

United States

#142 Jun 13, 2013
If you are worried about privacy, check out the article at the link below:

http://news.yahoo.com/forget-nsa-tech-gadgets...

Orwell's 1984 has been surpassed, not by government but by the private sector (of course they own the government).
CBOW

Dover, PA

#143 Jun 13, 2013
sinic wrote:
If you are worried about privacy, check out the article at the link below:
http://news.yahoo.com/forget-nsa-tech-gadgets...
Orwell's 1984 has been surpassed, not by government but by the private sector (of course they own the government).
Not all of the private sector, only corporations. Corporations are born of necessity. The gubmint uses corps the same way corps use gubmint. The only ones not beholding to the gubmint are sole proprietorships. The gubmint hates them because they can't control their finances.
sinic

United States

#144 Jun 13, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all of the private sector, only corporations. Corporations are born of necessity. The gubmint uses corps the same way corps use gubmint. The only ones not beholding to the gubmint are sole proprietorships. The gubmint hates them because they can't control their finances.
Correct, not all the private sector is involved. I worked in gubmint many years and I can tell you from first hand experience that big business sets the policies they want and gubmint goes along like it or not.

On the right to privacy, look at Google Earth.

#145 Jun 13, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
State College.
Still better than no college
CBOW

Dover, PA

#146 Jun 13, 2013
sinic wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct, not all the private sector is involved. I worked in gubmint many years and I can tell you from first hand experience that big business sets the policies they want and gubmint goes along like it or not.
On the right to privacy, look at Google Earth.
I doubt the gubmint gives a hoot whether what corps want is right or wrong. They don't have to live with the consequences, WE DO. The alleged "safety" that obtain through gubmint snooping most certainly makes it worth it, LOL! I have seen Google earth. I could see into my atrium! Very disturbing, I don't walk around my house naked anymore!
sinic

United States

#147 Jun 13, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt the gubmint gives a hoot whether what corps want is right or wrong. They don't have to live with the consequences, WE DO. The alleged "safety" that obtain through gubmint snooping most certainly makes it worth it, LOL! I have seen Google earth. I could see into my atrium! Very disturbing, I don't walk around my house naked anymore!
Gubmint, except the top officials, do what they are told to do. Those top officials, well take a look at their backgounds.

Like you, I don't like anyone snooping on me, my property etc. etc.
CBOW

Dover, PA

#148 Jun 13, 2013
Hunglo wrote:
<quoted text>
Still better than no college
Depends on the field of study. Have you seen the stats on how many college grads have no job prospects. For various reasons, like they majored in art study or basket weaving..but nevertheless, education only has a value if what you have learned can be applied to earn an income. Self improvement has no monetary value.
spocko

Oakland, CA

#149 Jun 13, 2013
CBOW wrote:
<quoted text>
More than you I'll wager to say......You only know the propaganda that has been force fed to you, numbnuts.
Yeah right, why is then that you can't distinguish between historical facts and ideology? All the crap your posting is based in ideology not in evidence based facts - but of course you wouldn't know that living in your tiny little wingnuz universe.

“KONA, baby!”

Since: Jul 08

Jacksonville, FL

#150 Jun 13, 2013
Earth Child 1 wrote:
<quoted text>it's not forfeiting rights. We don't live in the "Leave it to Beaver" days because the technology we have now didn't exists back then and we have more homegrown terrorists and terrorist groups right here in the US. Americans have the right to be protected from homegrown terrorists, supremacist militia groups, Christian identity groups, cyber terrorists, etc........who, BTW, are also the same people with the biggest mouths complaining that their rights are being violated......go figure.
All this to say you are willing to forfeit your right to privacy. I understand your position, I just don't agree with it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terrorism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How to Fight Extremism with Atheism Tue Eagle 12 3
News Syria believes it's on way to military victory Mon RUSSIAs VIETNAM 5
News 'The War Is Not Over' (Sep '06) Sep 23 mook 276,652
News Bin Laden son-in-law arrested in Jordan is brou... (Mar '13) Sep 21 bldg seven 73
News Will either side blink over North Carolina's Ho... Sep 20 TomInElPaso 1
News Russian Man Sentenced For Fighting Beside Islam... Sep 19 Stephany McDowell 1
News Muslims connect with their Adirondack neighbors... Sep 19 too funny bob 2
More from around the web