G'Day Damascus: Australians are Joini...

G'Day Damascus: Australians are Joining Syria's Rebels in Surprising Numbers

There are 91 comments on the Time story from Jul 16, 2013, titled G'Day Damascus: Australians are Joining Syria's Rebels in Surprising Numbers. In it, Time reports that:

Syrian rebels gather outside a building that they blew up to target a regime sniper taking shelter inside in the Salaheddine district of the northern city of Aleppo on July 10, 2013 As many as 6,000 foreign fighters from nearly 50 nations have now joined the brutal 2A1 2-year civil war to unseat President Bashar Assad of Syria.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Time.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“hi ya”

Since: Feb 12

Manchester

#1 Jul 16, 2013
Interesting.
"...There are around 120 French fighters in Syria, about 100 Britons and a handful of Americans — but there are at least 200 Australians, a

ccording to a public statement made by David Irvine, director general of the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO). The total may appear small, but it is growing rapidly, having doubled since the end of last year —

and when looked at as a proportion of the Muslim population of Australia, the figure is startling. The French, British and American rebel fighters are drawn from communities that number 4.7 million, 2.7 million and 2.6 million respectively. The Australian contingent is drawn from a Muslim population of just 500,000,

and is causing concern to a government that fears the homecoming of a battle-hardened group of radicalized Islamists when the conflict ends.

In February, Norwegian terrorism expert Thomas Hegghammer released a paper showing that 1 in 9 Westerners who fight in foreign jihadist insurgencies ends up becoming involved in terrorist plots back home.{11%]

With evidence that more than 100 Australian rebels in Syria are billeted with Jabhat al-Nusra, an al-Qaeda-linked militia, it isn’t surprising that Canberra is becoming alarmed."...

"Anecdotal evidence suggests that ASIO’s estimate may even be conservative.“The number of Australian fighters in Syria is far higher than a few hundred,” says Jamal Daoud, a Jordanian migrant who stood as a candidate for the New South Wales (NSW) legislature during the last state polls.“I have been talking to community members for years now. So many times people have told me ‘my neighbour is fighting in Syria’..."

“Topix is lowlife scum with no”

Since: Jun 12

respect for anyone...

#2 Jul 16, 2013
Those so-called Australians are not Australians at all.
Just because they've managed to worm their way into an Australian Citizenship doesn't mean they're Australian.
As far as I'm concerned they can stay there & should be denied entry back into Australia.
And the rest of their parasite supporters causing problems in Australia by firebombing, threatening & shooting people etc. etc. etc. should be deported ASAP.
The sooner the better, no exceptions.

rtloder

Since: Nov 12

Baulkham Hills, Australia

#3 Jul 16, 2013
There are no preaching of overt political messages in any Mosques, its the gangster element that are on to it big time.
I think its a "staunchness" of expression in the ranks exerting itself.
Obviously there not over there as a primarily criminal endeavour.
But I think they see it as a way to make a name for themselves as stand over merchants.
The Gillard Gov. didn't take action , probably the Rudd one will be the same.
Its the Jew lobby that controls this country, and the Poofters that control the Jew.

“NO ANZUS”

Since: Nov 10

Southern California

#4 Jul 16, 2013
Genie2 wrote:
Interesting.
"...There are around 120 French fighters in Syria, about 100 Britons and a handful of Americans — but there are at least 200 Australians,
I say bring the 5 Americans HOME and let Aussie deal with the clusterf*ck. Then I'll protest at OZ embassy with OZ GO HOME on my plackard.
Samin

Ashburn, VA

#5 Jul 16, 2013
Wat a bulsheet .
Diane Marrion

Melbourne, Australia

#7 Jul 16, 2013
From the above article

"A spokesman for Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr said on Friday that the government has received reports that over 100 Australians are involved in the ongoing violence in Syria.

“Penalty (is) imprisonment for 20 years,” said the spokesman, adding,“Anyone in Australia who recruits someone to fight overseas faces seven years.”

Under Australia’s Crimes (Foreign Incursions and Recruitment) Act 1978:“A person shall not enter a foreign state with intent to engage in a hostile activity… or engage in a hostile activity in a foreign state.”
Neutral

Sydney, Australia

#8 Jul 16, 2013
ASIO is monitoring these terrorists and they will be arrested and charged upon returning to Australia for terrorism,that's if Assad doesn't make our job easier by executing these scums .It'll save a hell a lot of taxpayers money.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#9 Jul 16, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
Just because they've managed to worm their way into an Australian Citizenship doesn't mean they're Australian.
As far as I'm concerned they can stay there & should be denied entry back into Australia.
And the rest of their parasite supporters causing problems in Australia by firebombing, threatening & shooting people etc. etc. etc. should be deported ASAP.
So you basically mean to say that all white people r Australian and the rest shud be deported? So If someone is granted citizenship he is not Australian so what makes some1 Australian? Coming here and killing some Aboriginals would be a better qualification of being australian?
cee

Australia

#10 Jul 16, 2013
On an on and on, makes assylum even more interesting, will they the aussis be protected when they come back what is asio doing over there, the more the merrier i guess, cia fbi asio? I just wish it was over the people were living, eating, talking, laughing, hopeful of a future with justice, honesty and no more KILLING, arrest all the leaders for aiding and abetting by not doing anything at ALL for human rights and safety.

“REFUSE ALL IMITATIONS!!”

Since: Jan 11

Park Orchards, Australia

#11 Jul 16, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
It's worth noting in this context that those who seek and are granted Australian Citizenship are officially regarded as Australians with the full rights AND obligations that are entailed. They accept and are accepted on that basis, which is clearly set out in the Australian Citizenship Pledge that they take at their Naturalization Ceremony.

In particular the Pledge to abide by Australia's Laws.

There are three versions of this pledge, but all three have this one passage in common:

"... whose laws I will uphold and obey."

http://tinyurl.com/mz2z7ol

Can't get much more unequivocal than that in any language.

Equally unequivocal is this passage:

"Australia has warned its citizens against fighting alongside militants in Syria, saying the Australians who take part in the conflict will face up to 20 years in jail.

A spokesman for Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr said on Friday that the government has received reports that over 100 Australians are involved in the ongoing violence in Syria.

“Penalty (is) imprisonment for 20 years,” said the spokesman, adding, “Anyone in Australia who recruits someone to fight overseas faces seven years.”

http://tinyurl.com/ky7ev25

Those who breach this law do so knowingly, and raise the question of what further Australian Law they are prepared to violate and bring Australia into disrepute.

In short, they have reneged on a solemn and legally binding agreement, laying themselves open to prosecution according to the same Laws they had pledged to uphold.

David Hicks for example may fall into that category.

Also:

"One of the Australians reported dead in the Arab country was a man from Melbourne who had travelled to Syria under the name of Abu al-Walid al-Australi. He was killed while fighting alongside the militants." http://tinyurl.com/ky7ev25

With a name like "Abu al-Walid al-Australi", if he had not taken the Citizen Pledge then it is unclear whether he could be bound by it legally, but equally it would be unclear to what extent he could even be regarded as Australian.:)

respect for anyone...

#12 Jul 16, 2013
Hitty wrote:
<quoted text>
So you basically mean to say that all white people r Australian and the rest shud be deported? So If someone is granted citizenship he is not Australian so what makes some1 Australian? Coming here and killing some Aboriginals would be a better qualification of being australian?
Wondering how long it would take before someone twisted my words around.
Not long at all apparently.

Just to clarify for you Hitty, my comments were in reference to any of these parasites, claiming to be Australian, heading off to become Rebels and to their supporters here, also claiming to be Australian, who've been using violence & intimidation in Australia to support their cause.

Read the article FFS, people that do those things aren't Australians.

rtloder

Baulkham Hills, Australia

#13 Jul 17, 2013
cee wrote:
On an on and on, makes assylum even more interesting, will they the aussis be protected when they come back what is asio doing over there, the more the merrier i guess, cia fbi asio? I just wish it was over the people were living, eating, talking, laughing, hopeful of a future with justice, honesty and no more KILLING, arrest all the leaders for aiding and abetting by not doing anything at ALL for human rights and safety.

The leaders of the wealthy West + Japan and South Korea are not not doing nothing to help human rights and safety.
There doing lots to make it worse in Syria.
That's just what that are evil.
Obama is even doing deals with the Taliban so they will help out his side in Syria.
But that just shows how really desperate they are.Taliban too for listening.
And they keep me locked up here do I can't come and help.
Of course you know cee I could do it because I know how go do miracles.
And I got the gift of the gab.
Put in a good word for me cee and I'll be there in a flash.
But only to talk people to death not to shoot anybody.

Location hidden

#14 Jul 17, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Wondering how long it would take before someone twisted my words around.
Not long at all apparently.
Just to clarify for you Hitty, my comments were in reference to any of these parasites, claiming to be Australian, heading off to become Rebels and to their supporters here, also claiming to be Australian, who've been using violence & intimidation in Australia to support their cause.
Read the article FFS, people that do those things aren't Australians.
I didnt twist your words depends where u stand with ur belief the truth is that the regime is carrying out injustices upon people since 1972 and when it has sparked up now there people who have left to fight doesn't automatically make them terrorists so using ur logical wud u also call Australians leaving for Afghanistan and Iraq terrorists as well or ur local vet a terrorist cos he left to fight in vitnam?

respect for anyone...

#15 Jul 17, 2013
Hitty wrote:
<quoted text>
I didnt twist your words depends where u stand with ur belief the truth is that the regime is carrying out injustices upon people since 1972 and when it has sparked up now there people who have left to fight doesn't automatically make them terrorists so using ur logical wud u also call Australians leaving for Afghanistan and Iraq terrorists as well or ur local vet a terrorist cos he left to fight in vitnam?
Oh right, you didn't twist my words but then go on to twist them again by saying I call these people and Australian diggers terrorists?

I already explained clearly what I meant, if you can't grasp that & want to keep trying to put words in my mouth that's your problem not mine.
And while you're at it learn to speak proper English, that crap you type is hard to read.
Teaman

Abingdon, VA

#16 Jul 17, 2013
Mr Humbert wrote:
<quoted text>
I say bring the 5 Americans HOME and let Aussie deal with the clusterf*ck. Then I'll protest at OZ embassy with OZ GO HOME on my plackard.
It's no surprise that the American Taliban, John Walker Lindh, was a Californian.

Mojo

Australia

#17 Jul 17, 2013
Mr Humbert wrote:
<quoted text>
so the embassy staff get to laugh at a fat,slobby homo?

Location hidden

#19 Jul 17, 2013
_0rion_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh right, you didn't twist my words but then go on to twist them again by saying I call these people and Australian diggers terrorists?
I already explained clearly what I meant, if you can't grasp that & want to keep trying to put words in my mouth that's your problem not mine.
And while you're at it learn to speak proper English, that crap you type is hard to read.
Your obviously so deep in to your ignorance the only thing you have come up with is fixing my English. YOU learn to read I NEVER said that you called diggers terrorists. If you read my earlier messages you will see that I am pointing out the fact that these people leaving to fight to Syria r being subjected to terorism charges while the diggers go out and fight all the time and sometimes they justify it as fighting for "Democracy" and "Justice" you have people living here who have relos in Syria that have been slaughtered why wud u call them a terrorist when they r just going to defend the rights of the oppressed?
Anonymous

Red Deer, Canada

#20 Jul 17, 2013
I say let them go, collect more Syrians and violent muslim extremists and let them all have a shot at getting killed.

respect for anyone...

#21 Jul 17, 2013
Hitty wrote:
Your obviously so deep in to your ignorance the only thing you have come up with is fixing my English.
Your English is poor.
The r's, u's, ur's, wud's & shud's need fixing.
Hitty wrote:
YOU learn to read I NEVER said that you called diggers terrorists.
You are insinuating by the wording of your questions that I am calling people terrorists.
I am not.

Like this for example...
Hitty wrote:
using ur logical wud u also call Australians leaving for Afghanistan and Iraq terrorists as well or ur local vet a terrorist cos he left to fight in vitnam?
Hitty wrote:
why wud u call them a terrorist when they r just going to defend the rights of the oppressed?
Perhaps it is you who should learn to read.
Show me where I have called anyone a terrorist in this thread or stop trolling.
Perhaps you should also get an understanding of what Australian Citizenship means with regards to upholding & obeying Australian laws.
Read The ADELAIDEAN's post, it'll give you an idea.

And as for the garbage in your first post:
Hitty wrote:
So you basically mean to say that all white people r Australian and the rest shud be deported?
WTF is that garbage?
Where did I say that?
Please do tell how you got that whacko response from my first post.

rtloder

Villawood, Australia

#22 Jul 17, 2013
Mojo wrote:
<quoted text>so the embassy staff get to laugh at a fat,slobby homo?

Also the animal rights protesters would be there trying to stop the savage police dogs getting too close to Mr Humbert .
Its all well and good to put on a show ,
But when the turn out is only interested in watching the creep who is begging the dogs to urinate on his leg then Mr Humbert has literally stolen the show.
So why bother to demonstrate in the first place just to give that creep an audience.
And as the animal liberation people point out a good dog is useless after that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terrorism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is Russia deepening Cooperation with US in Syri... Sat USA Today 1
News Day 2 of GOP convention speeches: CNN vets the ... Sat serfs up 20
News Shiite Cleric Calls Maliki Visit to U.S. a Betr... (Jul '06) Jul 22 Swedenforever 4
News Australian convicted of recruiting foreign figh... Jul 22 Beer Cold 3
News Osama Bin Laden reportedly calls Obama 'powerle... (Sep '09) Jul 20 Obsession 46
News Fisher: The coup failed in Turkey because mutin... Jul 18 Rick harrison 1
News Orlando memorializes gay nightclub massacre Jul 12 Bryan Fischer s H... 1
More from around the web