'The War Is Not Over'

There are 20 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Sep 12, 2006, titled 'The War Is Not Over'. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

WASHINGTON - President Bush led the nation on Monday in marking the fifth anniversary of the Sept.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

ABs

Covington, GA

#286104 Jan 2, 2013
UidiotRaceMAkeWorldPeace wrote:
<quoted text>Happy New year all!
And to you...a merry new year
ABs

Covington, GA

#286105 Jan 2, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
God is just a phantasm!
Curious hank, If so why do you keep capitalizing the G? You can fool tinyearl, but I know u believe in a great spirit...I mean Great Spirit....
ABs

Covington, GA

#286106 Jan 2, 2013
Spocko wrote:
<quoted text>
For a rich, developed country, the U.S. gun-related homicide rate is very, very high. The United States has by far the highest per capita rate of all developed countries. The U.S. gun murder rate is about 20 times the average for all other countries. That means that Americans are 20 times as likely to be killed by a gun than someone from another developed country.
In the US – there were an estimated 13,756 murders in 2009, a rate of about 5.0 per 100,000. Of these 9,203 were carried out with a firearm.
In the UK – there were an estimated 550 murders in 2011-12, a rate of about 1.4 per 100,000. Of these 39 were carried out with a firearm.
If I were british I would worry about that...geesh, more likely to get beaten or stabbed then shot! What an awful inhumane way to die, don't you agree?
So if guns kill people how do you explain the other 511 british murders?
ABs

Covington, GA

#286107 Jan 2, 2013
UidiotRaceMAkeWorldPeace wrote:
"American policymakers, setting themselves up as guardians of the world system, are more inclined than ever to simply disregard international laws and conventions if they get in the way of unrivaled military supremacy. Every instance of U.S. armed intervention ... represents a flagrant violation of regional treaties and laws, not to mention the UN Charter itself, which explicitly prohibits military attacks against sovereign nations - for example, Grenada, Nicaragua, Haiti, Panama, Serbia, Iraq.... In any event, the U.S. has consistently shown its contempt for international bodies, agreements, and procedures that might conflict with its hegemonic aspirations."
Carl Boggs
So then you agree, USA should not get involved in the 60k dead and growing list in Syria and just sit back and let the international bodies continue their most excellent work of resolving the genocide going on, yes?
ABs

Covington, GA

#286108 Jan 2, 2013
I hear whining wrote:
<quoted text>Try North Korea?
No profit there
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =dqxoeVE1tfwXX&list=AL94UK MTqg-9Cj75CIwa3BQWHOKnkwFqRN
but there is war
Greetings thong wearer and a most very merry and happy new year cruster ol friend...hope you and the family are well...
ABs

Covington, GA

#286109 Jan 2, 2013
AnnAgain wrote:
Why do families have to lose their children to our ‘sacred’ guns?
In 2008, 20,000 children were injured by guns.
In 2011, 9000 plus Americans were murdered with guns.
Between 2008-09 almost 6000 kids were killed with guns in America.
Every year close to 90 preschoolers are killed with guns.
That's twice the number of cops shot, per year.
What are acceptable numbers for the fanatical NRA?
Exposed by itself looks like you may be on to something.....UNTIL you realize that the most common type of injury accident involving children are those that also involve motor vehicle collisions. According to the National Center for Statistics and Analysis (NCSA), nearly 250,000 children are injured every year in car accidents....and how many children are killed or injured by drugs each year? Gun injuries and deaths pale in comparison so why are you as dilligent in new laws and bans on drugs and cars??? Because like gun laws and bans, they ONLY work if people abide by them...
MUQ

Jubail, Saudi Arabia

#286110 Jan 2, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Does religion help (ironie) the people to overcome the difficulties? Science does, religions further ignorance. For over 70 years I am an atheist and will it be till my death!
And then "after your death" you will 'Wish" that you would have been a believer!!

That shall happen to every Atheist, to the best of my knowledge and info!!

The most "unimaginative people on this planet"!!
MUQ

Dammam, Saudi Arabia

#286111 Jan 2, 2013
News you will not see or hear on CNN and FOX News

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/arti...

Obama:“The Best is Yet to Come.” Really?

By Alan Hart

November 14, 2012 "Information Clearing House" - When President Obama tried to get a real Middle East peace process going by calling on Israel to halt its illegal settlement activity and his “Yes, we can” became “No, we can’t”, I dared to invest some hope in the idea that in a second term he would use the leverage all presidents have to oblige Israel to end its defiance of international law and be serious about peace on terms the Palestinians could accept. And that investment was not the consequence of mere wishful thinking on my part.
There were two main reasons for my cautious optimism.

The first was (and is today even more so) in the fact that behind closed doors in Washington D.C. top military and security people are completely aware that it’s no longer in America’s own best interests to go on supporting the Zionist (not Jewish) state right or wrong.

The second was my knowledge from sources I trust that Obama has always understood that without an acceptable measure of justice for the Palestinians there could be no end to the conflict, only catastrophe for all. When he was preparing for his first run for the White House, he told a close American-Palestinian friend not to expect too much from him in his first term but to be optimistic about what he could and would do in a second term.(I took that to mean that Obama was fully aware of a fundamental truth expressed to me by former President Carter. As I have stated in previous articles, he said that any American president has only two windows of opportunity to take on the Zionist lobby, the second window being the last year of his second term – i.e. after the mid-term elections of the second term).

Today there is a third reason for cautious optimism. It was summed up in a Ha-aretz headline over an article by Akiva Eldar on 12 November – American Jews are giving up on Israel.
His opening two paragraphs were the following:

The most worrying news that came out of the U.S. presidential elections was that American Jews seem to have lost interest in Israel. Just 10 percent of American-Jewish voters said Israel was their highest priority when they went to the polls, according to a recent exit poll conducted by the pro-peace Israel lobby J Street. Nine out of 10 said domestic issues like job rates and health care were their top concerns. This is despite the fact that the Republicans and Jewish activists, many of whom are supporters of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, told countless horror stories about what they described as Barack Obama’s plot to throw Israel to the Iranian wolves.

These statistics support the analysis of political commentator Peter Beinart, an associate professor at the City University of New York’s Graduate School of Journalism, who argues that the ongoing occupation and the revelations of Israeli racism have distanced American Jews from Israel and from the Zionist idea.

And then there’s this. For a recent study two researchers from the California State University and the Hebrew Union College asked young American Jews whether they would regard Israel’s destruction as a personal tragedy. Fifty percent said they would not.

In a commentary on this finding for the Connecticut edition of the Jewish Ledger, Eric Mandel (a supporter of Israel right or wrong) asked why young American Jews do not feel connected to Israel. His answer included this:
John_Schuylkill County_Pa

Frackville, PA

#286112 Jan 3, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Bush served the Billionairs well!
McDonald"s served billions of hamburgers well!
ABs

Aiken, SC

#286113 Jan 3, 2013
MUQ wrote:
<quoted text>
And then "after your death" you will 'Wish" that you would have been a believer!!
That shall happen to every Atheist, to the best of my knowledge and info!!
The most "unimaginative people on this planet"!!
Even worse than the Jews?
ABs

Aiken, SC

#286114 Jan 3, 2013
I liked the old paths, when Moms were at home.
Dads were at work. Brothers went into the army.
And sisters got married to actual men BEFORE having children!

Crime did not pay; Hard work did;
And people knew the difference.

Moms could cook; Dads would work;
Children would behave.

Husbands were loving; Wives were supportive;
And children were polite.

Women wore the jewelry; and Men wore the pants.

Women looked like ladies; men looked like gentlemen; and children looked decent.

People loved the truth, and hated a lie.

Cursing was wicked; drugs were for illness.

The flag was honored; America was beautiful; and God was welcome!

To be called an American was worth dying for;
To be called an American was worth living for;
To be called a traitor was a shame!
I Miss the Old Days...
Econ4 org

Bay Shore, NY

#286115 Jan 3, 2013
ABs wrote:
I liked the old paths, when Moms were at home.
Dads were at work. Brothers went into the army.
And sisters got married to actual men BEFORE having children!
Crime did not pay; Hard work did;
And people knew the difference.
Moms could cook; Dads would work;
Children would behave.
Husbands were loving; Wives were supportive;
And children were polite.
Women wore the jewelry; and Men wore the pants.
Women looked like ladies; men looked like gentlemen; and children looked decent.
People loved the truth, and hated a lie.
Cursing was wicked; drugs were for illness.
The flag was honored; America was beautiful; and God was welcome!
To be called an American was worth dying for;
To be called an American was worth living for;
To be called a traitor was a shame!
I Miss the Old Days...
I agree, but that took place when General Eisenhower was president and taxes on the rich were 91%.

Reagan through Obama started the meltdown and has gotten much worse on average Americans.

=========

Statement on Health Care
http://econ4.org/statement-on-healthcare

Can You Afford To Retire? Video / http://tinyurl.com/h8xdx
The baby boomer generation is headed for a shock as it hits retirement: many of them will be long on life expectancy but short on savings. The two main strategies for funding retirement -- lifetime pensions and 401(k)-style savings plans -- are in serious trouble. In "Can You Afford to Retire?" FRONTLINE correspondent Hedrick Smith ("Is Wal-Mart Good for America?") investigates this looming financial crisis and the outlook for middle-class Americans.(more)»
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/retir...
Econ4 org

Bay Shore, NY

#286116 Jan 3, 2013
ABs wrote:
<quoted text>
To keep you safe, OBVIOUSLY...just think how unsafe it would be in Bay Shore with a couple million more criminals and thugs walking around...
I heard Bay Shore residents sleep with their doors unlocked just like the Brooklynites did back in the 1940s, 50s, 60s etc.

lol
Econ4 org

Bay Shore, NY

#286117 Jan 3, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry "God" never existed at all!
My guess is that you were raised with Religion and something distasteful happened and instead of blaming the Devil, you blame God.
Econ4 org

Bay Shore, NY

#286118 Jan 3, 2013
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, the USA has the biggest jail population too! How come?
Follow the money and you will get the right answers to most questions.
Econ4 org

Bay Shore, NY

#286119 Jan 3, 2013
ABs wrote:
<quoted text>
Not jesus or muhammd that is for sure...like I said, I am good with a "Great Spirit"...it's those muddle eastern created gods that I have issue with in light of how the world wide web has exposed that region to the religious nutcases that they are...and have always been, even when the world was flat and the moon was whole...
So tell me when did you see a gigantic mountain rise out of the sea?
Henry

Schönheide, Germany

#286120 Jan 3, 2013
goldstinker wrote:
I would like to see one of who preach give peace a chance to go find bin laden and let him know that you don't agree with Bush and that you just want to live in peace. Oh by the way let him know that you also want to continue living your western civilization ways but you just don't want to be at war with him. Let's see how long it takes him to remove your head because if you don't beleive in what he believes in then you are an enemy and must die...
God bless our troops...
The best saying I have heard which I wish more would realize is FREEDOM ISN'T FREE.
Only, god can not bless "our troops", because there is no god and never was! So sorry!
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#286121 Jan 3, 2013
Cut the national debt:
Military 20%, pensions and social security 23% and healthcare 22%! The interest paid on borrowed money is more 10% or $220 billion. Of course none of our politicians dare to touch these items or even whisper it. Especially the military part of it, as it employs hundreds of thousands of Americans in manufacturing, research and many other related activities that earn people a paycheck. It is famously referred to as the MIC or Military Industrial Complex! And then of course are the insane tax cuts supported by most republicans, seemingly intelligent people acting like friggen troglodytes!
There is no single policy passed by congress that has added more to the debt, or that is projected to add as much to the debt in the future, as the Bush tax cuts, passed in 2001 and 2003 and extended again in 2010. Yet republicans insist, with a straight face, that more tax cuts will end the current recession – what the f***?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/...
There is a serious underlying problem that is rearing its ugly head year after year and the public is slowly catching on to it. When 0.1% percent of the population owns 99% of what can be owned (aka assets) in this great land of ours, there is something seriously wrong with our society and its government or its governing. And the whole picture looks even darker when it comes to income distribution which is lopsided in the extreme!
http://www2.ucsc.edu/whorulesamerica/power/we...
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#286122 Jan 3, 2013
ABs wrote:
<quoted text>
Than why did it fail in the USSR and why is it failing in China? Thou shalt not steal, kill or fornicate in public...
It did not fail either in the USSR nor in China! It takes time nothing else. It takes time to change a society. For instance the change of feudalism to capitalism is still not finished yet.
AnnAgain

Oakland, CA

#286123 Jan 3, 2013
ABs wrote:
<quoted text>
Exposed by itself looks like you may be on to something.....UNTIL you realize that the most common type of injury accident involving children are those that also involve motor vehicle collisions. According to the National Center for Statistics and Analysis (NCSA), nearly 250,000 children are injured every year in car accidents....and how many children are killed or injured by drugs each year? Gun injuries and deaths pale in comparison so why are you as dilligent in new laws and bans on drugs and cars??? Because like gun laws and bans, they ONLY work if people abide by them...
Yes of course, you are now reverting to the standard gun-nut-rhetoric, following your logic you might as well cite Life itself as the big killer - it kills 300,000 people every day.
Your half baked excuse is rather like desperately grabbing for straws.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terrorism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ukraine's Astroturf RevolutionBy Anna Nemtsova 4 hr Hue 38
News That whiff of hypocrisy 13 hr Tazo 1
News Defiant Hillary Clinton defends Benghazi response (May '14) 17 hr mjjcpa 19
News Rep. O'Rourke Touts a Safe Juarez, U.S. Warns o... 18 hr Fossilfuel 7
News Durand line serves as a line of hate: Karzai (Feb '06) Fri ahmd 3,941
News Muslims made unwelcome as times toughen (Oct '10) May 1 Republican 97
Muslim only condos Toronto Canada May 1 Republican 3
More from around the web