'The War Is Not Over'

'The War Is Not Over'

There are 276672 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Sep 12, 2006, titled 'The War Is Not Over'. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

WASHINGTON - President Bush led the nation on Monday in marking the fifth anniversary of the Sept.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282557 Aug 20, 2012
Paul Ryan Hates Medicare wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything that was prophesied hundreds and hundreds of years before JESUS all came TRUE with the Virgin Birth, Life, Death and Resurrection of JESUS The Messiah!
Frank, why don't you pray and ask JESUS if He is real?
=======
John 10
14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father —and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life —only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”
Mary became pregnant without having sex after Jesus was born, The proof is her words to Jesus after sitting on the out-house seat, "Jesus Christ if Joesph would have wiped off the toilet seat I wouldn't be pregnant again".-------- Only debate left is, Did Mary get pregnant the same way when Jesus was concieved or did Joesph f--k her brains out?
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282558 Aug 20, 2012
<quoted text>
Everything that was prophesied hundreds and hundreds of years before JESUS all came TRUE with the Virgin Birth, Life, Death and Resurrection of JESUS The Messiah!
=======
John 10
14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father —and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life —only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”
Sounds like Mary was listening to Fathers commands, only thing is she should have kept an asprin between her knees everytime she heard the words "lay down for me".
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282559 Aug 20, 2012
Libertarian jargon----- AVAL AVILANDHAL IVAL AVILALAPPAL
IVAL AVILANDHAL AVAL AVILALAPPAL
AVALUM IVULUM AVIL ALAKKAVITTAL
EVAL AVILALPPAL
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282560 Aug 20, 2012
Sanskrit is a member of the Indo-Iranian sub-family of the Indo-European family of languages. Its closest ancient relatives are the Iranian languages Old Persian and Avestan.

In order to explain the common features shared by Sanskrit and other Indo-European languages, many scholars have proposed migration hypotheses asserting that the original speakers of what became Sanskrit arrived in what is now India and Pakistan from the north-west some time during the early second millennium BCE.[9] Evidence for such a theory includes the close relationship of the Indo-Iranian tongues with the Baltic and Slavic languages, vocabulary exchange with the non-Indo-European Uralic languages, and the nature of the attested Indo-European words for flora and fauna.[10]

The earliest attested Sanskrit texts are Brahmanical texts of the Rigveda, which date to the mid-to-late second millennium BCE. No written records from such an early period survive. However, scholars are confident that the oral transmission of the texts is reliable: they were ceremonial literature whose correct pronunciation was considered crucial to its religious efficacy.[11]

From the Rigveda until the time of P&#257;&#7751;ini (fl. 4th century BCE) the development of the early Vedic language may be observed in other Vedic texts: the Samaveda, Yajurveda, Atharvaveda, Brahmanas, and Upanishads. During this time, the prestige of the language, its use for sacred purposes, and the importance attached to its correct enunciation all served as powerful conservative forces resisting the normal processes of linguistic change.[12] However, there is a clear, five-level linguistic development of Vedic from the Rigveda to the language of the Upanishads and the earliest Sutras (such as Baudhayana).[13]

The oldest surviving Sanskrit grammar is P&#257;&#7751;ini's A&#7779;&#7789;&#2 57;dhy&#257;y&#299; ("Eight-Chapter Grammar"). It is essentially a prescriptive grammar, i.e., an authority that defines correct Sanskrit, although it contains descriptive parts, mostly to account for some Vedic forms that had become rare in P&#257;&#7751;ini's time.

The term "Sanskrit" was not thought of as a specific language set apart from other languages, but rather as a particularly refined or perfected manner of speaking. Knowledge of Sanskrit was a marker of social class and educational attainment in ancient India and the language was taught mainly to members of the higher castes, through close analysis of Sanskrit grammarians such as P&#257;&#7751;ini. Sanskrit, as the learned language of Ancient India, thus existed alongside the Prakrits (vernaculars), also called Middle Indic dialects, and eventually into the contemporary modern Indo-Aryan languages.

“French Cocoa Party”

Since: Jan 08

Keynesian Fields

#282561 Aug 20, 2012
rider wrote:
<quoted text>Ryan Rages Against the Machine - CNN.com
2 days ago ... Although Rage thinks Paul Ryan is just another cog in the "Machine," that doesn't
stop the Paul Ryan from rocking out to their ...
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/16/politics/ryan-m... -
My progeny would vote for Ryan, if they could, just based on this.

I'd be very hesitant. If it was just Led Zepplin, okay.
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282562 Aug 20, 2012
zhu&#333; shàng y&#466;u gè pén,
pén l&#464; y&#466;u gè píng,
pèng pèng pèng,
shì píng pèng pén,
hái shì pén pèng píng.

“French Cocoa Party”

Keynesian Fields

#282563 Aug 20, 2012
rider wrote:
zhu&#333; shàng y&#466;u gè pén,
pén l&#464; y&#466;u gè píng,
pèng pèng pèng,
shì píng pèng pén,
hái shì pén pèng píng.
I understand completely. You must be channeling by now.
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282564 Aug 20, 2012
Let’s start with that silly 113% per year: Thats a more than doubling each year, and it would have turned $1.1 billion into $9 trillion over the same time period. So please ignore that absurd silliness. As Arends explains, it derives from the way Private Equity calculates internal rates of return. You can use it to compare private equity investments to each other, but not for anything else.

Arends calculates that

“Bain Capital, as we’ve seen, produced real dollar-on-dollar investment returns that were, at best guess, somewhere between 20% and 40% a year. If we figure the money was typically tied up for five to seven years, it was below 30%.

From 1984 through the end of 1998, the stock market overall produced gains of nearly 20% a year. If you had leveraged each dollar with $2 in debt at corporate interest rates, your returns would have ballooned to nearly 30% a year. If you’d been able to borrow $3 at corporate interest rates, you’d be up towards 35% a year. That’s how much money you could have made by issuing company bonds and then spending the money picking stocks out of the paper at random.

If they look pretty similar to the returns Bain Capital earned under Mitt Romney, maybe that’s not a complete coincidence.”

In other words, Bain produced all Beta, no Alpha. They used high leverage and took big risk for what was essentially market level rates of return. Any investor who listened to Vanguard’s John Bogle would have done about the same during 1984-1998 – just buy the S&P500 index, and hold it, reinvesting the dividends. The net returns would be ~20% per year — without giant fees or excessive risks necessary.

~~~

In my opinion, the whining (from the right!) about Bain’s outsourcing, layoffs, and the fortunes produced for insiders are misguided. That’s not why Bain should be criticized. Their fundamental flaw, at least according to the math, is that they took lots of risk, use immense leverage, and charged enormous fees, for performance that was more or less the same as indexing.

Said differently: Bain’s sins are the same sins most of Wall Street committed: Too high leverage, too much risk, excessive fees for too little performance.

Bain is worth criticizing not because they are so different, but rather, because they are pretty much just like the rest of Wall Street. And THAT’S nothing to brag about ...
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#282565 Aug 20, 2012
-Web wrote:
<quoted text>
ESPN suspended Hank Jr for one week,so Hank made the decision ESPN could no longer use his song.
Hanks Statement.
“After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision. By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment
Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It’s been a great run.”— Hank Williams Jr.
Like the man said: "Dumbass"
frank

Oakland, CA

#282566 Aug 20, 2012
<quoted text>
=======
John 10
Okay I promise, what should I do with my ping Unicorn?
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282569 Aug 20, 2012
arbitrageur wrote:
<quoted text>
My progeny would vote for Ryan, if they could, just based on this.
I'd be very hesitant. If it was just Led Zepplin, okay.
Are you saying you are seeing Obama's transparency policy? Remember awhile back I said McCain could have picked Palin knowing his chances of winning the WH would be doomed, yet it would make transparent some of the powers of the 7M mandate agenda? Not the exact words I used, yet the jest of it was the same. Remember?????????? Transparency--- Transparency---Transparency--- Transparency--- Transparency--- Transparency--- Did Romney make same kind of choice for the same reason? Is Ryan on the transparency train? I am going to give you the oppertunity now to flat out say what you see happening after 2012 election. Time to quit playing coy, how many trillions of dollars will finally be found and recouped to balance the budget at last? How many big time shysters will be exposed and imprisoned between now and 2016? It is coming down Rags, only info in doubt are the exact names and numbers.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#282571 Aug 20, 2012
Dave C wrote:
<quoted text>
How much power do the American Unions have if their jobs are shipped off to China?
The Us unions are so sick as the whole USA.
Henry

Bad Langensalza, Germany

#282572 Aug 20, 2012
<quoted text>
=======
John 10
It is nonsense!
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282575 Aug 20, 2012
National GOP pulls funding from Todd Akin's Missouri race - The ...
8 hours ago ... Republicans rushed to distance themselves from Rep. Todd Akin's rape
comments on Monday, with several calling on the House member to ...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/with-t... -
Bishop Romney

San Jose, CA

#282576 Aug 20, 2012
John_Schuylkill County_Pa wrote:
<quoted text>We all know there are "57 states"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_of_...
So how goes the strip mining between Mahanoy City and I-81?

Why didn't the mining companies dig up the Locust Valley?

Is there any underground mining of anthracite in Schuylkill County today?

Been reading up on the Knox Mine Disaster. The study of anthracite mining in Pennsylvania is one helluva read regarding capitalism and its excesses. As you read about the battles between John Pierpoint Morgan and John Mitchell, you can practically see Karl Marx standing there, explaining the whole mess.

The sad story of the Twin Shaft mine collapse tells us so much about greed. The Avondale mine disaster bespoke the need for two points of ingress to a mine. Finally, the Knox Mine Disaster lays bare the contradiction that capitalists will 'play fair' and police the market themselves, so as not to ruin it.

No more deep anthracite mining in the Wyoming Valley, eh? Is the water still in the many mines located there?

For those of you reading, check out:
Knox Mine Disaster
Twin Shaft disaster
Avondale mine fire

John, at least the Locust Valley was spared the ravages of the mining shovels. Why?
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282577 Aug 20, 2012
Neal L. Patterson (born December 1949) is CEO of Cerner Corporation, a Kansas City-;based medical software corporation. He is also an owner of the Sporting Kansas City soccer team.

Patterson grew up on the family farm near Manchester, Oklahoma and received his bachelors and Masters from Oklahoma State University in 1971 and 1972. Following a stint with Arthur Andersen, he and Arthur Andersen colleagues Cliff Illig and Paul Gorup founded Cerner in 1979.[1]

Patterson was featured in a USA Today article, Scandals lead execs to 'Atlas Shrugged', as a member of a friendly group of CEOs who have a working knowledge of Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.[2] He became a member of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity at Oklahoma State University.[3]

Rep. Kevin W. Yoder Family

Rep. Kevin W. Yoder (self)
Yoder for Congress (Campaign Committee) paid Rep. Kevin W. Yoder

$10,649, meals, travel, office supplies and other unspecified expenses, 2010 (reimbursement) election cycle

Brooke Robinson Yoder (wife)
Yoder for Congress (Campaign Committee) paid Brooke Robinson Yoder

$448, hostess gifts and unspecified expenses, 2010 (reimbursement) election cycle

Listed as lobbyist by registrants:

American Horse Council (2001-2002) Cerner Corp.(2006-2007)

Lobbied on behalf of:

American Horse Council Cerner Corp.

“French Cocoa Party”

Keynesian Fields

#282578 Aug 20, 2012
frank wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay I promise, what should I do with my ping Unicorn?
McRango can bend over and touch his toes with his new exercise program.

“French Cocoa Party”

Keynesian Fields

#282579 Aug 20, 2012
rider wrote:
Let’s start with that silly 113% per year: Thats a more than doubling each year, and it would have turned $1.1 billion into $9 trillion over the same time period. So please ignore that absurd silliness. As Arends explains, it derives from the way Private Equity calculates internal rates of return. You can use it to compare private equity investments to each other, but not for anything else.
Arends calculates that
“Bain Capital, as we’ve seen, produced real dollar-on-dollar investment returns that were, at best guess, somewhere between 20% and 40% a year. If we figure the money was typically tied up for five to seven years, it was below 30%.
From 1984 through the end of 1998, the stock market overall produced gains of nearly 20% a year. If you had leveraged each dollar with $2 in debt at corporate interest rates, your returns would have ballooned to nearly 30% a year. If you’d been able to borrow $3 at corporate interest rates, you’d be up towards 35% a year. That’s how much money you could have made by issuing company bonds and then spending the money picking stocks out of the paper at random.
If they look pretty similar to the returns Bain Capital earned under Mitt Romney, maybe that’s not a complete coincidence.”
In other words, Bain produced all Beta, no Alpha. They used high leverage and took big risk for what was essentially market level rates of return. Any investor who listened to Vanguard’s John Bogle would have done about the same during 1984-1998 – just buy the S&P500 index, and hold it, reinvesting the dividends. The net returns would be ~20% per year — without giant fees or excessive risks necessary.
~~~
In my opinion, the whining (from the right!) about Bain’s outsourcing, layoffs, and the fortunes produced for insiders are misguided. That’s not why Bain should be criticized. Their fundamental flaw, at least according to the math, is that they took lots of risk, use immense leverage, and charged enormous fees, for performance that was more or less the same as indexing.
Said differently: Bain’s sins are the same sins most of Wall Street committed: Too high leverage, too much risk, excessive fees for too little performance.
Bain is worth criticizing not because they are so different, but rather, because they are pretty much just like the rest of Wall Street. And THAT’S nothing to brag about ...
Well, we could do without all the Democrats running Wall Street into the ground. Why do you love them so much?

“French Cocoa Party”

Keynesian Fields

#282580 Aug 20, 2012
rider wrote:
<quoted text>Are you saying you are seeing Obama's transparency policy? Remember awhile back I said McCain could have picked Palin knowing his chances of winning the WH would be doomed, yet it would make transparent some of the powers of the 7M mandate agenda? Not the exact words I used, yet the jest of it was the same. Remember?????????? Transparency--- Transparency---Transparency--- Transparency--- Transparency--- Transparency--- Did Romney make same kind of choice for the same reason? Is Ryan on the transparency train? I am going to give you the oppertunity now to flat out say what you see happening after 2012 election. Time to quit playing coy, how many trillions of dollars will finally be found and recouped to balance the budget at last? How many big time shysters will be exposed and imprisoned between now and 2016? It is coming down Rags, only info in doubt are the exact names and numbers.
Hey, what happened to that transparent list of 5000 UBS investors who had to come clean with their Swiss bank accounts?

It was given to the attorney general and then it disappeared.

Must have included many, many members of Congress. Maybe someday, with an FOIA.

“French Cocoa Party”

Keynesian Fields

#282581 Aug 20, 2012
rider wrote:
National GOP pulls funding from Todd Akin's Missouri race - The ...
8 hours ago ... Republicans rushed to distance themselves from Rep. Todd Akin's rape
comments on Monday, with several calling on the House member to ...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/with-t... -
Off with his head. Now, what about Richard Fuld?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terrorism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why the Confederate flag flies in SC 16 min Deuteronomy 28 1,862
News Why the Confederate flag still flies in South C... 12 hr Jamal 4
News IS and the IRA - a comparison Jun 23 LJC 5
News Adding Poland to Visa Waiver Program Invites Mo... Jun 22 wild child 1
News GOP presidential hopeful Ben Carson: Close all ... Jun 19 swedenforever 4
News Militant rise galvanizes Assad's camp in Syria war (Dec '13) Jun 17 Zeppelin 84
News Israel 'gagged reports' Sotloff was its citizen Jun 17 bevdogpoo Hughes 8
More from around the web