Local Muslims relieved; some fear ter...

Local Muslims relieved; some fear terrorist reaction | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 48 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 3, 2011, titled Local Muslims relieved; some fear terrorist reaction | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The death of Osama bin Laden was cause for relief, hope and uncertainty about the future of U.S.-Muslim relations, local American Muslims said yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Antagonist

Newark, OH

#1 May 3, 2011
Although a great thing, the death of one man will change nothing.
Someone will step up to take his place.
He was not the first, or last terrorist leader.
GasReality

Dublin, OH

#2 May 3, 2011
The people planning the next terrorist strike were going to do it whether Osama was dead OR alive. Do you think these militants are in their Yemen compound thinking "I wasn't going to carry out this terrorist strike, but they killed Osama so now am." F*** NO! They are going to do their worst no matter what the reason because that's how they roll. I say killing Osama was a beautiful act in and of itself, and who cares what these hairy a**ed terrorists think!
Its Raining

Barlow, OH

#3 May 3, 2011
I've got news for you, Leah ...the death of bin laden doesn't change the fact that many of us still view your people with skepticism.
Veracity in Question

Columbus, OH

#4 May 3, 2011
Many people, non-Muslims and Muslims alike, believe that Osama bin Laden may have been killed or died several years ago and question the veracity of our government regarding this. We have been lied to before.

According to the government's story including the hurried burial at sea there are no remains to examine, so where is the proof?

Alleged DNA samples taken from the remains will NOT meet the standard of scientific proof required to substantiate the government's story.

Mike

Pataskala, OH

#5 May 3, 2011
Some of us are always going to regard muslims as terrorists, I know people who wonder and question why muslims are living in this country given the events that happened on 9/11. I wonder the same thing. I'm going to think of every muslim as a threat to myself, my way of life, and my country, among other things. I'm going to wonder if they support al queda or if they want their sharia law imposed on us and our way of life. I wonder where their loyalties lie. Others should think the same thing because their "holy book" says that infidels like myself should be killed. A religion of peace? Doesnt sound like it to me.
ReAckShunAry

Hilliard, OH

#6 May 3, 2011
Veracity in Question wrote:
Many people, non-Muslims and Muslims alike, believe that Osama bin Laden may have been killed or died several years ago and question the veracity of our government regarding this. We have been lied to before.
According to the government's story including the hurried burial at sea there are no remains to examine, so where is the proof?
Alleged DNA samples taken from the remains will NOT meet the standard of scientific proof required to substantiate the government's story.
And while you are at it, you should demand proof of the moon landings, what really happened at Area 51, who really killed Kennedy, where Elvis is living now, etc. etc. etc. You conspiracy nuts are, at least, somewhat entertaining.
Dan Gleesack

Columbus, OH

#7 May 3, 2011
Veracity in Question wrote:
And don't forget to wear your tin foil hat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foil_hat
So Many Questions

Columbus, OH

#8 May 3, 2011
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/national...

Th caption beneath the photo of the aircraft carrier in the Columbus Dispatch article titled "Burial at sea aims to prevent shrine to terrorist" reads as follows:

Osama bin Laden's body was "eased into the sea" from the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson, seen in a January photo.

How calming, compassionate and reassuring is that and to whom? These people are liars. They are playing with the minds and emotions of non-Muslims and Muslims in America and around the world. They did this also when they used 9-11, the name of bin Laden, and non-existent weapons of mass destruction as pretexts for invading Iraq and causing hundreds of thousands of deaths.

Why the pretense of having so much concern for Muslim burial traditions and show such little regard for the lives of Muslims in general?

Why not preserve the remains until it could be scientifically substantiated that Osama bin Laden was indeed dead and in U.S. custody?

Will alleged DNA taken from the now unavailable remains suffice as proof?

Last paragraph of the article follows:

On the other hand, Ahmed said, the secretive burial at sea may also give rise to anger and speculation about whether bin Laden was really dead. "You really want to see him. When something like this is done under cover of dark, it leaves a lot of people asking questions."
Buckeye Bob

Mount Hope, OH

#9 May 3, 2011
This is a nice story. I was wondering if someone would report on the reaction of muslims. I'm sure many are relieved and are also patriotic citizens. We need to stop the funding going to these terrorist organizations. The death of Osama is a big step in killing the recrutment for their cause. Now that democracy is flowing into the arab nations thery will be less need to suppor the militant islamist groups. I'm glad this aarticle was published.
I am a Muslim

Columbus, OH

#10 May 3, 2011
Mike wrote:
Some of us are always going to regard muslims as terrorists, I know people who wonder and question why muslims are living in this country given the events that happened on 9/11. I wonder the same thing. I'm going to think of every muslim as a threat to myself, my way of life, and my country, among other things. I'm going to wonder if they support al queda or if they want their sharia law imposed on us and our way of life. I wonder where their loyalties lie. Others should think the same thing because their "holy book" says that infidels like myself should be killed. A religion of peace? Doesnt sound like it to me.
The Qur'an forbids evil and injustice, and it enjoins justice and that which good, moral and right.

Aside from a few copy and paste quotes from English translations of the Arabic Qur'an, how much of the Qur'an translated into English have you actually read yourself?

I believe that I am as good or better an American and World citizen as you, or anyone, and I am not going to hide my faith in ALLAH because of your misinformed and irrational fears.

I am happy and blessed to be able to say that I am a Muslim, and that I seriously embrace and strive to practice the good morals that are enjoined upon me in the Qur'an.

please do

Columbus, OH

#11 May 3, 2011
I am a Muslim wrote:
<quoted text>
The Qur'an forbids evil and injustice, and it enjoins justice and that which good, moral and right.
Aside from a few copy and paste quotes from English translations of the Arabic Qur'an, how much of the Qur'an translated into English have you actually read yourself?
I believe that I am as good or better an American and World citizen as you, or anyone, and I am not going to hide my faith in ALLAH because of your misinformed and irrational fears.
I am happy and blessed to be able to say that I am a Muslim, and that I seriously embrace and strive to practice the good morals that are enjoined upon me in the Qur'an.
'

So as someone who IS 'qualified', would you care to explain the tenets of Sharia, and also explain 'forbids injustice,' to the rest of us?
We'd love to learn.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#12 May 3, 2011
Its Raining wrote:
I've got news for you, Leah ...the death of bin laden doesn't change the fact that many of us still view your people with skepticism.
And that is too bad. It is an example of bigotry.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#13 May 3, 2011
Mike wrote:
Mike, the same kinds of prejudice have been experienced in this country when they were directed against Japanese-Americans and German-Americans.

Why wouldn't Muslims who live in America continue to live here? Cult leaders, such as bin Laden, frequently offer seductive interpretations of scriptures (whether Muslim, Christian or otherwise) to people who are angry or lost or just seeking for something deeper than what they have experienced. This does not make any of them prophets--more like temptresses.

My understanding of "Sharia Law" is that it is no more a single set of requirements than is fundamental Christianity or following the US Constitution. We have examples of extremism in each of the above. The extremes ought not be regarded as reality, however.

The Bible contains statements nearly identical to those found in the Quran with regard to killing infidels. They must be read within the appropriate context in order to be understood--otherwise they can be applied very harmfully.
Buckeye Bob

Mount Hope, OH

#14 May 3, 2011
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
And that is too bad. It is an example of bigotry.
so are your race baiting comments.
Mike

Atlanta, GA

#15 May 3, 2011
I am a Muslim wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally I havent ready any of it, and I don't see any reason to read the devils book, so to say. Everything I needed to know about islam I learned on 9/11 when your people hijacked our planes and willingly flew them into 2 occupied office buildings pronouncing a death sentence upon many. You shouldnt be questioning my fears, I should be questioning your beliefs, asking what if anything have you done to cooperate with law enforcement in ANY investgations, whether or not you support CAIR, whether or not you yourself are a terrorist, whether you support al queda, etc. So lets hear your answers.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#16 May 3, 2011
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally I havent ready any of it,...
But it would seem you have been reading a good bit ABOUT it, as well as a lot of hooey about Muslims in general, haven't you?
I am a Muslim

Columbus, OH

#17 May 3, 2011
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally I havent ready any of it, and I don't see any reason to read the devils book, so to say. Everything I needed to know about islam I learned on 9/11 when your people hijacked our planes and willingly flew them into 2 occupied office buildings pronouncing a death sentence upon many. You shouldnt be questioning my fears, I should be questioning your beliefs, asking what if anything have you done to cooperate with law enforcement in ANY investgations, whether or not you support CAIR, whether or not you yourself are a terrorist, whether you support al queda, etc. So lets hear your answers.
You admit that you have not read any of the Arabic Qur'an translated into English and you are very disparaging of it, then you say, "Everything I needed to know about islam I learned on 9/11 ..."

You continue on and begin to ask questions as if you are an interrogator, and finally conclude with, "So lets hear your answers."

You don't engage in self-education and independent thinking, and yet you think that you already know it all, so anything else I say to you is subject to fall on deaf ears.
Diehard Skeptics

Columbus, OH

#18 May 3, 2011
One Day shalt thou see the believing men and the believing women- how their Light runs forward before them and by their right hands:(their greeting will be): "Good News for you this Day! Gardens beneath which flow rivers! to dwell therein for aye! This is indeed the highest Achievement!" -- Qur'an 57:12 (an English translation).

On that Day the hypocrites, both men and women, shall say to the believers:“Look at us that we may extract some light from your light.” They will be told:“Go back and seek light for yourselves elsewhere.” Then a wall shall be erected between them with a door in it. On the inside of it there will be mercy, and on the outside of it there will be chastisement.-- Qur'an 57:13 (an English translation).

And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.-- Matthew 25:8.

But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.-- Matthew 25:9.
GasReality

Dublin, OH

#20 May 3, 2011
Mike wrote:
Islam is a REVENGE-BASED religion. Got a grudge? Hate women? Then it is the religion for you. There were NO GOOD NAZIS, and there are NO GOOD MUSLIMS. The flaws that lead to them appointing Osama to be their "Pope" rest in the Quran itself. The world would be better off with this mysoginistic religion.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#21 May 3, 2011
GasReality wrote:
<quoted text>
Islam is a REVENGE-BASED religion. Got a grudge? Hate women? Then it is the religion for you. There were NO GOOD NAZIS, and there are NO GOOD MUSLIMS. The flaws that lead to them appointing Osama to be their "Pope" rest in the Quran itself. The world would be better off with this mysoginistic religion.
Osama bin Laden was self-appointed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terrorism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Never Ends EVER! Tue Elise Gingerich 1
News Albright Blasts Bush Mideast Response, Cites Ir... (Jul '06) Mon Divorce Lawyer 57
News Is Russia deepening Cooperation with US in Syri... Jul 23 USA Today 1
News Day 2 of GOP convention speeches: CNN vets the ... Jul 23 serfs up 20
News Shiite Cleric Calls Maliki Visit to U.S. a Betr... (Jul '06) Jul 22 Swedenforever 4
News Australian convicted of recruiting foreign figh... Jul 22 Beer Cold 3
News Osama Bin Laden reportedly calls Obama 'powerle... (Sep '09) Jul 20 Obsession 46
More from around the web