The Nancy Cruzan family did same thin...

The Nancy Cruzan family did same thing that Schindler family is doing today

Posted in the Terri Schiavo Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
james

Tallahassee, FL

#1 Mar 5, 2007
Did you know that the Cruzan family also setup a foundation after the death of Nancy Cruzan? The family went around speaking and foundation was in operation for about 4 years. Eventually the foundation was stopped when the family decided to return to lead "normal" lives.

Wikipedia:

Nancy Cruzan had two sisters, Chris and Donna; Chris Cruzan White ran the Cruzan Foundation, a program that assisted others with end-of-life decisions, but closed it in 2004.

Her sister, Chris Cruzan White, is the executive director of the Cruzan Foundation, which helps other families who face similar situations.

In 2004 the family of Nancy Cruzan made the decision to close the Cruzan Foundation, and "try to return to regular life."
james

Tallahassee, FL

#2 Mar 5, 2007
About Terri's Foundation:

The Terri Schindler Schiavo Foundation, Inc.,(TSSF) is a non-profit group dedicated to helping persons with disabilities, and the incapacitated who are in or potentially facing life-threatening situations.

Since: Oct 06

Location hidden

#3 Mar 5, 2007
james wrote:
Did you know that the Cruzan family also setup a foundation after the death of Nancy Cruzan? The family went around speaking and foundation was in operation for about 4 years. Eventually the foundation was stopped when the family decided to return to lead "normal" lives.
Wikipedia:
Nancy Cruzan had two sisters, Chris and Donna; Chris Cruzan White ran the Cruzan Foundation, a program that assisted others with end-of-life decisions, but closed it in 2004.
Her sister, Chris Cruzan White, is the executive director of the Cruzan Foundation, which helps other families who face similar situations.
In 2004 the family of Nancy Cruzan made the decision to close the Cruzan Foundation, and "try to return to regular life."
The difference was the Cruzan family's foundation provided support, information, and assistance to people having to make medical decisions on behalf of a loved one. They promoted choice and self determination. The Schindlers promote the opposite.

Location hidden

#4 Mar 5, 2007
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/3054...

Nancy Cruzan died January 11, 1983, when she was but 25 years old. Unfortunately for her, for those who loved her, and indeed for all of us, she died at a time and in a place that does not recognize her death. Consequently, she has never been buried or cremated, but instead kept in a hospital bed for nearly seven years. High medical technology has sustained only the most rudimentary of her biological processes.

The inscription on Nancy Cruzan’s gravestone (represented in the photograph above) and the message Professor Momeyer conveys in a viewpoint that ran less than a year before a lower court judge ruled Cruzan’s feeding tube could be removed arrive at the same conclusion: Nancy Cruzan, the person, died seven years before her biological processes were allowed to cease and her body was let to expire. This young woman’s life story was interrupted after she lost control of the vehicle she was driving on January 11, 1983. She was thrown 35 feet from the car into a barren field, where she landed face first and experienced approximately 15 minutes of anoxia. The paramedics who arrived at the scene of the accident were able to restore her heartbeat. Her cerebral cortex, the seat of awareness and thought, was irrevocably damaged—she would never regain higher brain function. Nancy, in her permanent vegetative state (PVS) could no longer experience anything of the world around her, except perhaps pain.

Determined to see their daughter at peace, her parents undertook a prolonged legal struggle that led all the way to the US Supreme Court. If they could obtain a court order to have her feeding tube removed, Nancy who was already “gone” could be put to rest. But they were confronted with the perspectives of others for whom life in any condition, sustained by whatever means, is of absolute value. To the latter, removal of the feeding tube would be morally wrong, as it would result in the patient’s death. In addition, they argued, the action would open the door to killing people who no longer seemed of use to anyone.

The legacy of the Cruzan case was to foster mechanisms to safeguard the interests of people who become incapacitated at the end of life. Others could avert the tragedy of the Cruzans—and free themselves of some of the fear around end-of-life. A recent article, however, points to the fact that few people take advantage of the options the case made available to them: only 10 percent have living wills to reflect their wishes around end-of-life care, should they become incapacitated.

Still, Nancy Cruzan is responsible for a Supreme Court decision that helped to empower people—competent and incompetent—with choices at the end of life.“I think this is quite an accomplishment for a 25 year old kid,” her father said,“and I’m damn proud of her.”

Location hidden

#5 Mar 5, 2007
james wrote:
The Terri Schindler Schiavo Foundation, Inc.,(TSSF) is a non-profit group dedicated to helping persons with disabilities, and the incapacitated who are in or potentially facing life-threatening situations.
Kinda vague. How do they help?

“Dancing Lights”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#8 Mar 5, 2007
james wrote:
Hypocritical I think considering these very same people pulled life support from their own mothers James. I would call that not only discrimination against the disabled (as you seem to feel it is) but discrimination against the elderly (which you seem to think is perfectly okay).

“There is no freedom w/o choice”

Since: Jan 07

Palm Harbor, Florida

#10 Mar 5, 2007
james wrote:
Who has benefitted from the Schindler largesse?
I have seen them wag their fingers in the face of those who chose a different option for their family member, but I have yet to see anyone who has been helped financially, or otherwise, by the Schindlers. Perhaps you can find one for us.
Mike

AOL

#11 Mar 5, 2007
Peppermint Patti wrote:
<quoted text>
The difference was the Cruzan family's foundation provided support, information, and assistance to people having to make medical decisions on behalf of a loved one. They promoted choice and self determination. The Schindlers promote the opposite.
The other critical difference between the Cruzans & the Schindlers is that the Cruzans DIDN'T have money as a motivating factor in their deciaion to A:allow for Nancy's wishes to be respected & carried out & B: set up their shortlived foundation so as to help educate the public about the importance of end of life decision making & substituted judgement in the hopes that NOBODY would have to go through what they did.

Sadly their battle would play itself out all over again in Fla. with the same cast of characters opposing Mike & Terri Schiavo's decision to forego life sustaining treatment in a futile situation 15 years later.Keep in mind that,just as the Cruzan family's long nightmare was drawing to a close Terri Schiavo's 15 year ordeal was only just beginning.

By contrast to the Cruzans the Schindlers are motivated,not by a desire to help educate the public about informed healthcare decisions & end of life planning.They're motivated soley by the profit they're making by exploiting Terri as an RR posterchild in return for greenbacks.
Mike

AOL

#12 Mar 5, 2007
Thatgirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Who has benefitted from the Schindler largesse?
I have seen them wag their fingers in the face of those who chose a different option for their family member, but I have yet to see anyone who has been helped financially, or otherwise, by the Schindlers. Perhaps you can find one for us.
Don't forget that they're also trying to stick their noses into another local area family's business & telling them what to do about making medical decisions for an incapacitated family member.

Already they've started villifying the patient's spouse in much the same manner that they spent villifying their former SIL over the past 14 years.

“Dancing Lights”

Location hidden

#13 Mar 5, 2007
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
The other critical difference between the Cruzans & the Schindlers is that the Cruzans DIDN'T have money as a motivating factor in their deciaion to A:allow for Nancy's wishes to be respected & carried out & B: set up their shortlived foundation so as to help educate the public about the importance of end of life decision making & substituted judgement in the hopes that NOBODY would have to go through what they did.
Sadly their battle would play itself out all over again in Fla. with the same cast of characters opposing Mike & Terri Schiavo's decision to forego life sustaining treatment in a futile situation 15 years later.Keep in mind that,just as the Cruzan family's long nightmare was drawing to a close Terri Schiavo's 15 year ordeal was only just beginning.
By contrast to the Cruzans the Schindlers are motivated,not by a desire to help educate the public about informed healthcare decisions & end of life planning.They're motivated soley by the profit they're making by exploiting Terri as an RR posterchild in return for greenbacks.
Sadly I see it that way too.
Mike

AOL

#14 Mar 5, 2007
Svaha wrote:
<quoted text>
And that's what seperates Terri's case from other such high profile cases.

The Schindlers & Mike had already become bitter adversaries by the time he had turned the decision over to the courts in 1998.

Their animosity towards him had little if anything to do with the decision he made to respect Terri's wishes & had everything to do with what had started their dispute five years earlier....the disposition of the medmal award.
Katie

AOL

#15 Mar 5, 2007
Svaha wrote:
<quoted text>
It does appear that way.

PS I noticed there's another Katie posting. It's not me... somewhere in the IN area according to the post I read. Just wanted to be clear on this. I have other things going on right now, not much time to post. Am reading when I can, though :)

“Dancing Lights”

Location hidden

#16 Mar 5, 2007
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
And that's what seperates Terri's case from other such high profile cases.
The Schindlers & Mike had already become bitter adversaries by the time he had turned the decision over to the courts in 1998.
Their animosity towards him had little if anything to do with the decision he made to respect Terri's wishes & had everything to do with what had started their dispute five years earlier....the disposition of the medmal award.
and what seems to be lost on the opposition is the fact that HE is not the one who made the decision to withdraw the life support even though he was well within his rights as her guardian. He petitioned and then wisely let the court sort it all out which allowed his wife to speak through the court system. But then again, that's where the conspiracy "theory" has grown. Sort of like crop circles being messages from outer space :-)

“Dancing Lights”

Location hidden

#17 Mar 5, 2007
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
It does appear that way.
PS I noticed there's another Katie posting. It's not me... somewhere in the IN area according to the post I read. Just wanted to be clear on this. I have other things going on right now, not much time to post. Am reading when I can, though :)
Thanks. I'll keep it it mind but your posts have a distinctive "style" to them :-)
Katie

AOL

#18 Mar 5, 2007
Svaha wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. I'll keep it it mind but your posts have a distinctive "style" to them :-)
Sure hope it's a 'nice' style :)
Svaha

Clearwater, FL

#19 Mar 5, 2007
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure hope it's a 'nice' style :)
I think it is but "some" people may not :-)
Mike

AOL

#20 Mar 5, 2007
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
It does appear that way.
I noticed that on the abortion forum myself.

Seeing as how the Schindlers plan to speak in your neck of the woods I was wondering what sort of questions you have in mind for them if you attend their little speaking engagement?

Perhaps you should put together what I'd refer to as "Schindlers list" when coming up with ligitimate questions to confront them with when they come to town on the 10th,that is if you're still planning on attending their little for profit yap fest. ;)
Katie

AOL

#21 Mar 5, 2007
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed that on the abortion forum myself.
Seeing as how the Schindlers plan to speak in your neck of the woods I was wondering what sort of questions you have in mind for them if you attend their little speaking engagement?
Perhaps you should put together what I'd refer to as "Schindlers list" when coming up with ligitimate questions to confront them with when they come to town on the 10th,that is if you're still planning on attending their little for profit yap fest. ;)
I'm probably not going to make it over there, Mike. It is a few hours away and Saturdays are busy days for me. No way around that. If it were any other day, I'd be camping out there waiting for the Schindlers... because I DO want to ask them some questions based on cold, hard reality.

For every lie spewed out, I wanted to be there to refute it with the facts. And I mean EVERY one. I'd've been standing up and shouting all the refuting facts to every claim made by Bobby Jr or Suzanne or whoever is talking there. Unfortunately, it's not gonna be possible this Saturday.

If they get near your neck of the woods, Mike, you should try going. Buster's questions he posted were interesting... just to give you head start :)
Katie

AOL

#22 Mar 5, 2007
Svaha wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is but "some" people may not :-)
Maybe an old ninny... just start ;)
Walter

Brooksville, FL

#23 Mar 5, 2007
james wrote:
"...helping persons with disabiliies..."

A person like Bob Schindler Sr.???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terri Schiavo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
As we enter 12 years since Schiavo-Lessons of w... Nov '17 hornback12 2
An Update (Nov '09) Nov '17 Unreal 88
News Schiavo remembers Bush as 'making him miserable (Mar '15) Nov '17 Unreal 9
News Terri Schiavo's Painful Deprivation of Food and... (Mar '09) Jun '17 hornback12 1,223
David Bryer (Mar '07) May '17 hornback12 27
News Strange & Unusual - Florida Suburb Prepares For... (Mar '07) Feb '17 Happy Phart 5
Trudy Capone (Apr '09) Jan '16 Jackie 8
More from around the web