Pa. and other states find ways to raise taxes without saying so
In this Feb. 23, 2013 file photo Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett participates in the National Governors Association 2013 Winter Meeting in Washington.
Join the discussion below, or Read more at Pocono Record.
Since: Jun 13
Brrrrrrrr it's cold...
#1 Jun 29, 2013
Wouldn't you know taxes were being raised even if you were quiet?
#2 Jun 29, 2013
Taxes should be the fees for services but when tax REVENUE goes into a general fund you lose sight of what you are actually paying for. This is why it might be better to have more transparency or a more detailed itemized tax bill.
Personally these states that tax should give the tax payer an itemized accounting sttement showing WHERE(literally WHERE the money went to, perhaps these location need to raise more money on their own)the money went. Pennsylvania is tough because the open government laws/books aren't fully available yet or as transparent as other states.
Pa wants a 28 cent gallon fee slapped on gas. If they want money for roads just say your road fees or taxes just went up. Better yet they should float bonds to raise the 2 billion plus dollars they want. EVEN better would be to actual REPAIRS early in the damage/deterioration process. PA does NOT repair roads or properly MAINTAIN them, they re-do them every so many years but they do very LITTLE road REPAIR work.
Since: Mar 09
The Left Coast
#3 Jun 29, 2013
Obama taught them well. It's not a tax, it's a fee.
Since: Jun 13
Brrrrrrrr it's cold...
#4 Jun 29, 2013
Whatever it's called its a shame.
#5 Jun 30, 2013
Reagan taught them well.
Republicans have always done that.
Claim they're not raising taxes but have a free for all, raising and creating new fees.
#6 Jun 30, 2013
Before the last election the Republicans running for office in Texas made a rather ludicrous promise to the voters. They said they could balance the budget and make up a $27 billion deficit in the next biennium without raising any taxes or severely hurting any services delivered by the state.
A little more surprising, at least for those who actually believed the Republican campaign promises, is the fact that they are also raising taxes (even though they still claim they aren't). They have raised fees for services provided by many state agencies and other things. They would like voters to believe that fees are not taxes, but they are. The fact is that more money will be coming out of citizen pockets (and anytime the government takes money from a citizen for any reason it is a tax, regardless of what state officials want to call it).
#7 Jun 30, 2013
Every electric customer pays a monthly fee of $0.65. This money is supposed to be used to help the poor and the elderly pay their electric bills. But this legislature has decided to steal three-fourths of that money to put into the general fund and help balance the budget. This is nothing less than stealing from the poor and elderly (so the rich can pay less taxes -- like the sales tax cut on yachts costing $250,000 or more).
* There is a sporting goods tax on items like hunting and fishing gear, camping equipment, and bicycles. This tax raises about $100 million a year and is supposed to be used to purchase parkland, improve existing parks, and pay for some conservation efforts. Legislators have decided to steal three-fourths of this money and put it in the general fund also.
* The state sells several specialty license plates where the public has been promised that the money would be used for projects at the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department (including the Texas Wildlife Action Fund). But most of that money is now going into the general fund instead.
* There are also specialty license plates supposed to fund cancer prevention, veterans benefits, and advocates for abused & neglected children. At least half of this money has been taken by the legislature and put into the general fund.
* Then there is the Driver Responsibility Program that puts a surtax on Texas drivers who get traffic tickets. This program has not lived up to expectations, but still gathers $150 million a year -- which was supposed to be used to fund trauma care facilities and help pay for the medical care of uninsured patients. Guess where most of that money is really going. That's right -- the general fund.
* Then there's a tax on chewing tobacco (to help rural doctors pay student loans), a tax on heavy trucks (that's supposed to go into the state's clean air program), and a fee on CPA licenses (to help pay for student scholarships). All of these funds have also been raided by the legislature.
Are these are the only funds being raided to cover for the incompetence of state Republican leaders?
This use of dedicated taxpayer funds in a manner in which they were not authorized to be used an even greater sin than lying about raising taxes.
Since: Feb 07
#8 Jun 30, 2013
The States expect the Federal system to collapse and need their revenue stream in place before the WhiteHouse imposed DEFAULT.
#10 Jul 6, 2013
Is this really any suprise?
There is no agency to over see the government that controls our every move.
Did you know farmers now are told how many cattle they can have, where they can graze ect?
Who want's to farm anymore when the government can regulate your life and lively hood?
Here's another one to consider eminent domain.
The government can take land for industrial purpose like building a buisness than x amount of years later the land the government legally steals is left empty and desolate as our jobs are moved over seas.
Lastly consider the Native Americans
While we are celebratingour forth of July did any one stop to think of the poor nation that had there land innocence and pride stolen by our lovely government?
Any one who trusts our goverment "better take a closer look at the American Indian" (henry Ford)
What will the people do besides these posts???
Is it possible to fix the corrupt political scams that are entangled in our judicial system?
#11 Jul 7, 2013
We should be like parlament. They can vote there cheif executive right out of office without waiting for the term to expire not in America nope the people get screwed by the leader you have to wait 4 years on an impeachment process which takes who knows how long.
Our government resembles that of the nazi party.
Our government has it's own agenda's and the people are powerless to do anything about it except post this crap of course which i'm cetrain falls upon deaf ears in out legislative, congressional and judicial departments of it's members
who are elected officials. Since when is politix a job? Kind of like being a preacher they no longer are held to an hourly wage that they have to bust there humps for now they get a salary to screw up the country for there opponents
Add your comments below
|Ryan presents plan for a largest corporate tax ...||Jun 24||Atlas sans Balls||2|
|Metro OKs long-range plan; voters to eye Prop A... (Feb '10)||Jun 23||White Chick||29|
|For Donald Trump, every vice is a virtue||Jun 22||Responsibility||17|
|Former GOP senator and Ohio Gov. George Voinovi...||Jun 12||davy||1|
|IRS Makes Improper Payments to Illegal Aliens T...||Jun 7||tomin cali||6|
|Tony Perkins claims churches will lose federal ... (May '15)||Jun 3||NeoZionist||9|
|The $16 Billion Tax-Credit Black Hole||Jun 3||Dee Dee Dee||1|
Find what you want!
Search Tax Forum Now
Copyright © 2016 Topix LLC