Ocean Springs budget designed to avoid layoffs, tax hike

Sep 7, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Sunherald.com

The proposed $12.4 million budget would eliminate the Planning Department -- positions that have been empty for part of this year -- reduced employee use of cell phones and city cars, end almost all charitable contributions, cut out future landscaping, put on hold the Porter Avenue sidewalk project and take away aldermen and mayor discretionary ... (more)

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
OS Resident

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2012

Judged:

It is about time the the board put a stop to overspending. If $900,000 is all the emergency funds that they have remaining, they barely have the funds to cover one months worth of bills. The consecutive years of overspending has depleted the funds. I wouldn't want my taxes raised to give the mayor more money to plant flowers and pay for her Rotary Club dues.
FOS

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2012

Judged:

They cant even pay the city employees on time. Once again second time in a row the city employees have not been paid. So here comes more bank overdrafts, bills late and no explanation why this is happening. The mayor and the board should have seen this coming with all the excessive spending on beautification of the streets, donating money to the Walter Anderson Museum and Mary C and who knows who else they give money to. I think its time for a new mayor and board of alderman. I have no confidence with the job they are doing. Who cares if you known them all your life or they are friends of your family, vote them out or Ocean Springs will be the next Moss Point.
Gulf

Pascagoula, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2012

Judged:

OS Resident wrote:
It is about time the the board put a stop to overspending. If $900,000 is all the emergency funds that they have remaining, they barely have the funds to cover one months worth of bills. The consecutive years of overspending has depleted the funds. I wouldn't want my taxes raised to give the mayor more money to plant flowers and pay for her Rotary Club dues.
Blowing all that money for the "public safety center" so the cops could arrest ppl minding their own business going to & from work or to Walmart to get fine revenue wasn't worth it was it? How many tickets do they have to write or ppl to arrest to get that revenue back?

The fire station on DeAna Rd was more than good enough for the fire trucks for that part of town. Plus they had the fire station on Govt St. They just wanted to blow all that money to be able to arrest ppl. Now the budget is fouled up for yrs to come to finance the 'public safety center' & the useless downtown 'improvements' so that ppl can go there & get drunk.

Well, they got their new useless police & fire stations & now the city's kaput for years. Oh yeah, & the expensive school way off in the boondocks that will increase fuel costs for the district....got that too now expect a decade of budget struggles like what Gautier & Moss Point are going thru right about now.
Gulf

Pascagoula, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2012

FOS wrote:
They cant even pay the city employees on time. Once again second time in a row the city employees have not been paid. So here comes more bank overdrafts, bills late and no explanation why this is happening. The mayor and the board should have seen this coming with all the excessive spending on beautification of the streets, donating money to the Walter Anderson Museum and Mary C and who knows who else they give money to. I think its time for a new mayor and board of alderman. I have no confidence with the job they are doing. Who cares if you known them all your life or they are friends of your family, vote them out or Ocean Springs will be the next Moss Point.
FOS -- I heard that they didn't get a pay INCREASE -- are you saying that their paychecks bounced or they didn't get paid on time because the city doesn't have enough cash flow?

If so, first I've heard of this. The paychecks are coming in late? If they say we 'pay you on ____ date' & if they don't deliver that could be a violation of contract law -- the employees might be able to sue for violation of contract & labor laws.

Ocean Springs is generally thought of as super-rich, I'm kind of surprised that they're having these money problems. Gautier is even worse off, I heard they're a million dollars in the hole....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••