Don Miller, 7th District candidate re...

Don Miller, 7th District candidate response

There are 101 comments on the Loudon County News story from Jul 20, 2010, titled Don Miller, 7th District candidate response. In it, Loudon County News reports that:

We moved to Loudon County from New Jersey more than seventeen years ago. I graduated from the University of Michigan as a chemical engineer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Loudon County News.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Impressed hillbilly

Rock Island, TN

#1 Jul 20, 2010
Wow- what an impressive resume.

Don Miller wrote ..."I participated in and supported the development of a new hospital in Lenoir City and the sale of the old county hospital."

I'd kinda like to hear more from this bag of hot air say more about the "sale" of the old county hospital. I heard that it was more like an outright giveaway (old county hospital plus a big chunk of acreage) for less then $150,000. I wish he had also said more about about his Taj Mahal Village library. I'm sure he'll come back to county taxpayers after the election wanting another Earmark for the Village.
Impressed

United States

#2 Jul 20, 2010
I am really impressed with this guy's opinion of himself. Most of those things he cites as accomplishments are overpriced boondoggles that has cost us all thru the nose. He is responsible for starting all this big spending in Tellico Village that has caused over 12% of it's property owners to have to default on their dues assessments because they are now so high that it is becoming a choice between paying the dues or eating. The fancy amenities he brags about are only available to those who can and are willing to pay extra to use them, but all of us, regardless of our financial situation are required to pay to build them. Because of him and his big ideas Tellico Village is nothing more than a Commune where most of us pay so the elite, like Mr. Miller can have all those luxury facilities that were available to them in their exclusive communities up north without their having to bear the burden of paying for them themselves. Miller and his gang of thieves have bankrupcted Tellico Village and he is in the process of doing it to the entire county. He is a big spender and has no idea that there are others who are not as fortunate as he is, If he can afford to pay the big fees he thinks everyone can. He is living in a dream world. What he is talking about is raising the taxes on an average house in Tellico Village by at least $250 per year. Apparently spending other people's money is habit forming.
Wanna know

Rock Island, TN

#3 Jul 20, 2010
County employees have been talking and asking why they don't go to the house -- commissioners Roy Bledsoe close to 80, Harold Duff and Don Miller mid 70s, Bob Franke and Wayne Gardin 70ish? They aren't real happy with what commission did about changing health insurance and how department heads just went along.
Resident

AOL

#4 Jul 28, 2010
The three posts above do not merit a response.
Jeannie Pilgrim

AOL

#5 Jul 28, 2010
There are two specific items that Mr. Miller responded to that I liked and felt he was totally honest about. The first was the absolute necessity of funding the schools and the second is that raising taxes might be required. No offense folks, but I value educating the youth of this country and do not begrude having to pay a few more dollars in taxes for it. I do not understand why people do not understand that as the price of household goods go up so does the cost of running this country.

As I told my Sons I will walk through fire to get you educated.
fact check

United States

#6 Aug 1, 2010
I wouldn't mind paying for a new school if the cost wasn't going to be three times what it would cost in Blount County. We have already paid for one boondoggle where an insider made over $1 million in profit on that piece of no good property the county purchased for a new high school. that was as slick a piece of theivery as I have ever seen and of course another insider, the local DA "investigated" and said it was all honorable and above board. In addition to such inside deals and the graft involved, there is a question of why that school in downtown Loudon that is now used for County offices, voter registration, early voting, etc, was abandoned. there is ample space for enlargement of the facilities and the building appears to still be in good condition. Surely whatever maintenance and renovation it needs would not cost as much as a new school. Why can't the Greenback kids be bussed into Loudon? I have a question. Since back in the 17oos and 1800s architechs could build buildings that would last for hundreds of years, why, with all the new technology available, can't they build a building that will last until it it paid for?
Dont you know

Lenoir City, TN

#7 Aug 1, 2010
fact check wrote:
I wouldn't mind paying for a new school if the cost wasn't going to be three times what it would cost in Blount County.
Bribes to officials are just part of the cost of doing business here.
fact check

United States

#8 Aug 1, 2010
Dont you know wrote:
<quoted text>
Bribes to officials are just part of the cost of doing business here.
What you are saying is that Tennessee is already a third world country?
Loudon Citizen

New Market, TN

#9 Aug 2, 2010
I am a Loudon Citizen that lives so close to Tellico Village that I could almost spit on it. We
are in Mr. Miller's district, but since we are not
"Tellico Village" residents, he doesn't do anything for us. MOST of the accomplishment's he brags about were just things that would have been done with or without him. If you really care about the people in your whole district, start talking to people who have had roots here all their lives.
Tree Mugger

Dayton, TN

#10 Aug 9, 2010
I live in the Village and I've been here (Knoxville/Loudon) all my life. And your point is?
Dont you know

Knoxville, TN

#11 Aug 9, 2010
fact check wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are saying is that Tennessee is already a third world country?
I was talking about Loudon county, not all of Tennessee. Go read the thread you'll see the comparison one person made to Blount county.
Tellico Village Resident

AOL

#12 Dec 4, 2013
Impressed hillbilly wrote:
Wow- what an impressive resume.
Don Miller wrote ..."I participated in and supported the development of a new hospital in Lenoir City and the sale of the old county hospital."
I'd kinda like to hear more from this bag of hot air say more about the "sale" of the old county hospital. I heard that it was more like an outright giveaway (old county hospital plus a big chunk of acreage) for less then $150,000. I wish he had also said more about about his Taj Mahal Village library. I'm sure he'll come back to county taxpayers after the election wanting another Earmark for the Village.
If Don Miller was a part of the Tellico Village POA it makes him just another idiot like the fools on there now. For that reason alone I would vote against him. The suckers in the Village get nothing whatsovever for the monthly fees they pay. If they want to use ANY ammenity in the Village they have to pay for it and he is part of how that happened.

Yes, Don Miller is full of himself. It is time that someone runs against him. He has been on the County Commission way too long. His background as VP of Mobil/Exxon does nothing positive for him in my mind. It makes him one of those people that line their pockets with gold and don't care about anyone below him.

I plead that someone run against him.
just bob

United States

#13 Dec 4, 2013
Tellico Village Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
If Don Miller was a part of the Tellico Village POA it makes him just another idiot like the fools on there now. For that reason alone I would vote against him. The suckers in the Village get nothing whatsovever for the monthly fees they pay. If they want to use ANY ammenity in the Village they have to pay for it and he is part of how that happened.
Yes, Don Miller is full of himself. It is time that someone runs against him. He has been on the County Commission way too long. His background as VP of Mobil/Exxon does nothing positive for him in my mind. It makes him one of those people that line their pockets with gold and don't care about anyone below him.
I plead that someone run against him.
He is beat
proud citizen

United States

#14 Dec 4, 2013
My family owned 125 acres in the village back before the VILLAGE was ever there right where rarity bay is located my family got 300$ a acre or they would condemn the land so you people that live in the VILLAGE can kiss my ass. Go back to Detroit and the unions that are ruining this country. Hows Obama working out for you liberals want ever win another election after 2014.
Election 14

Lenoir City, TN

#15 Dec 4, 2013
Rich Anklin is going to run against Don Miller
Application

Louisville, TN

#17 Dec 5, 2013
Rich Anklin picked up his application to run against Don Miller on 12/3/13. You can verify on the link below.

This should be interesting! Let's see how much money the POA will spend to promote Miller and bad mouth Anklin.

http://www.vanshaver.com/petition_update_125....

Since: Dec 11

Kingsport, TN

#18 Dec 5, 2013
The Tellico Village Library was built with funding from the Friends of the Tellico Village Library. It was not built with either County funds or with POA funds. Also, it is located outside of the Tellico Village boundaries. It was not Don Miller's idea nor was he the driving force behind it. Many Tellico Village residents have supported the building of the Library and donated funds for it. Don was one of many of the of the supporters of this project but he did not commit any public or POA funds to building it.
Jeannie Pilgrim

Louisville, TN

#19 Dec 5, 2013
Finding out that Don Miller was on the Board of the POA and is a HOA member (social club elites) has told me why he has been so nasty to me. Though Rich and I differ on a couple of issues I am sure that we can communicate on that. I will do my BEST to get an elite, 10 member of the Commission defeated. Terms limits? For sure.

According to the finance and POA they have told me that they do not know how to read financial statements. I know for sure that Rich Anklin does. Rich is also more middle class and more inline with the majority of residents of Loudon County NOT the HOA Social Club.
Jeannie Pilgrim

Louisville, TN

#20 Dec 5, 2013
I meant 10 year member of the Commission.
County Dollars

Louisville, TN

#21 Dec 5, 2013
Real Hippo wrote:
The Tellico Village Library was built with funding from the Friends of the Tellico Village Library. It was not built with either County funds or with POA funds. Also, it is located outside of the Tellico Village boundaries. It was not Don Miller's idea nor was he the driving force behind it. Many Tellico Village residents have supported the building of the Library and donated funds for it. Don was one of many of the of the supporters of this project but he did not commit any public or POA funds to building it.
The construction of Irene Lane (the road) which was built with county tax dollars was pushed hard by Don Miller with a lot of screaming from county residents. This road was built for no other reason, but to provide access to land now housing the Tellico Village Public Library.

Additionally, Loudon County tax money pays the salary and benefits for the library manager Becky Haile, and now, the new assistant library manager Carolyn Page.

The POA contributes thousands of "gift" dollars and free employee labor to the Tellico Village Public Library each and every year. These numbers used to be shown in the POA financials and has been a bone of contention in the past.

Since the library budget is not published on their website, it is unknown how much additional money is provided by Loudon County taxpayers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tax Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In Rural Tennessee, a Big ICE Raid Makes Some C... 22 hr No Doubt 1
News Kansas officials boost projected tax collection... Sun Impeach the Creep 1
News Trump Keeps Up Heat on Illegal Aliens Sat Dave 66
News Ted Nugent Wants Those On Welfare To Forfeit Ri... (Dec '12) Sat swampmudd 58
News Former assistant Athens County prosecutor plead... Fri They cannot kill ... 1
News Kentucky Legislature Overrides Governor's Veto ... Apr 16 Creepy Joe Biden 1
News Olsen & Durkin trying to block progressive tax ... Apr 11 Illinois tax payer 1