Is Atheism a Religion?

Is Atheism a Religion?

There are 2032 comments on the The Volokh Conspiracy story from Mar 11, 2012, titled Is Atheism a Religion?. In it, The Volokh Conspiracy reports that:

At the Reason website, Kennedy , argues at length that atheism should be considered a religion: [W]hether you make sense of the world as an atheist and don't require the God postulate to complete your understanding, or you are a theist and your feelings and experiences tell you something greater is there, biologically speaking, that big blob of ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Volokh Conspiracy.

Since: Jan 12

Western Hemisphere

#2188 Jul 10, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Hey Doofus, if we were afraid of dying and if we were fearful of going to hell, we would be on our knees whining and begging the silly freak god of your imagination, to save us but please not to go biblical on us, and make us eat our children. Do you get this? If we were scared, we'd be you.
If hell scared us we wouldn't be atheist, we'd be theist, and believers in a real lunacy.
Pretty little avatar. Are those violets? Shrinking violets?

Since: Jan 12

Western Hemisphere

#2189 Jul 10, 2012
rpk58 wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is not a religion.
If I have a fear of god, I would be a theist.
Your problem is that you cannot imagine anyone refusing to believe in god using logic and reasoning.
No, you have a false concept. People do not necessarily become religious out of a fear of God. Like you, they run the other way and hope they can get rid of Gid by convincing everyone he doesn't exist - unfortunately, it doesn't work.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#2190 Jul 10, 2012
GlobeStar wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty little avatar. Are those violets? Shrinking violets?
I think your earth logo is pretty too. is there global warming melting some of the polar ice?

Since: Apr 12

United States

#2191 Jul 10, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
No because I did not say all atheists, just atheism. Still not wrong
Lols
You said "Not all but some"
And I assumed that you meant "Not all atheists, but some atheists"
I assumed so because what you said was in answer to my question "Do you believe that all atheists are laveys atheists?"
Now you are saying that you meant atheism, not all atheists.
In that case your answer would be
"Not all atheism but some atheism"
Lols - does that make any sense?
Ofcourse not. You were trying to squirm out of having conceded your to being wrong. The more you try to squirm out of the situation by giving vague answers, the more I will make sure that everyone knows what game you are playing.
So do you want to revise your answer to the following question?
"Do you believe that all atheists are Laveys atheists?"
Lol

“There are other issues.”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#2192 Jul 10, 2012
kubilgan wrote:
<quoted text>Hahaha you are playing with yourself right now lavay satinist. Proof you are not or yoiu are the biggest liar in the whole universe.

Hahahahahaha your nub is hard now. You are mad. LOL
Someone doesn't work. Lol!
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#2193 Jul 10, 2012
GlobeStar wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you have a false concept. People do not necessarily become religious out of a fear of God. Like you, they run the other way and hope they can get rid of Gid by convincing everyone he doesn't exist - unfortunately, it doesn't work.
Well, fear of God is prominently mentioned by many believers, and I think in the Bible as well. even if you do not admit it. I do not think many folks refuse to believe in a God because of fearing to believe in one. I think most atheists are relatively unafraid. We can accept that there might not be an eternal life of happiness, just as we do not fear an eternal life of hell. I pity those who believe in such things. are you saying you believe in heaven and hell? and you are not fearful? maybe you think you are a special favorite of God and will go to heaven? I do not know your views.

Lansdale, PA

#2194 Jul 10, 2012
kubilgan wrote:
<quoted text>
Feel free to fkoff.
Now that I have your permission, I will go and freely fkoff?

Location hidden

#2195 Jul 10, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>please define atheism. please define that other thing - laveys satanism - that you are always raving about. that would help to clarify. where do you get your socalled information or opinion, anyway? have you replied to the charges that Skeptic made about you guys? I defended you by saying some of you do not have many principles to sell out. you might actually believe what you write and not have to get paid to write it. or you might be a playful troublemaker, in your own mind.
You need to understand that Laveys Church of Satan do not believe in Deities and do not worship Satan. Look up the sight. I don't really care what Skeptic thinks, he has the same ideals that Hitler had for Jewish people. His solution is for all theists to be extinguished.

Location hidden

#2196 Jul 10, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
<quoted text>Yes all good for saturday the 14th of July. Be there or forfeit. I issued the challenge so therefore I establish the day. You cannot differentiate between fare and fair site and sight. You're too ignorant to handle the details so sit back and let the smart people do that ok? This saturday the 14th and between the two bets you will need 40k total.
Oh so now it's your way or I forfeit? You are stupid! Ok now I am challenging you to come to Florida to take the test in July 28th. Since I am challenging you and you don't show up, I consider it a forfeit and you lose. So now you leave and let us intelligent people speak.

Lansdale, PA

#2197 Jul 10, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> you are very good at holding his feet to the fire, so to speak. well done!(ps what the hell are laveys satanists, anyhow?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVeyan_Satanism

Location hidden

#2198 Jul 10, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>I assume that means you do not know how to write a reply without being obscene, or arrogant, or both.
Just wait, he is going to post as you and make things up.

Location hidden

#2199 Jul 10, 2012
rpk58 wrote:
<quoted text>Lols
You said "Not all but some"
And I assumed that you meant "Not all atheists, but some atheists"
I assumed so because what you said was in answer to my question "Do you believe that all atheists are laveys atheists?"
Now you are saying that you meant atheism, not all atheists.
In that case your answer would be
"Not all atheism but some atheism"
Lols - does that make any sense?
Ofcourse not. You were trying to squirm out of having conceded your to being wrong. The more you try to squirm out of the situation by giving vague answers, the more I will make sure that everyone knows what game you are playing.
So do you want to revise your answer to the following question?
"Do you believe that all atheists are Laveys atheists?"
Lol
Not all but some
redneck

Glendale, OR

#2200 Jul 10, 2012
GlobeStar wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to be unreligious and offend a religious person like you, but I would never lower myself to click on any link you provided. I do my own research; I don't take "redneck" lessons. Go feed the cows between your atheist worship services.
Your closed mind says a lot about you. My avatar provides excellent bait but says nothing about me.

Location hidden

#2207 Jul 10, 2012
kubilgan wrote:
<quoted text>Nope. That's just for you, because you're "special." lOL! How does it feel to be the jerked who backed out of a bet? That must be "special" too! LOL Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ....
I didn't, even you said you couldn't wait until the 28th. Man you are just one dumb fat broad. Too much fat in your ears?

Lansdale, PA

#2208 Jul 10, 2012
GlobeStar wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree - people do not necessarily become religious out of a fear of God. I never said they do. What I said was that if I feared God, then that would mean that I believe God exists, thus I will be a theist.
You dont know anything about me - so how can you say that I became an atheist to run away from God? You don't know anything about atheism. Like I said before, you lack the imaagination to grasp the concept that there are people who use reason and logic in their thinking and reach the conclusion that God(s) may not exist.

Location hidden

#2209 Jul 10, 2012
kubilgan wrote:
<quoted text>Hahahah. Lying coward 'tard.
Just in case you were wondering if you would get pregnant from humping a dog.

&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player

Location hidden

#2210 Jul 10, 2012
kubilgan wrote:
<quoted text>You used "sight" wrong again. Give us your name and we will look up your diploma from Notre Dame. No, huh? Hehehehehe
Ok your and you're.

Location hidden

#2211 Jul 10, 2012
kubilgan wrote:
<quoted text>I know. That would be ...YOU. LOL -- better get one, you human tumor. And this time, don't expose yourself to the kiddies. lOL...
So what do you do all day? Do you mark your territory with urine? Man I thought atheists were intelligent, you are easily thrown off here genius. Lol, what a dunce!

Lansdale, PA

#2212 Jul 10, 2012
Educated What wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all but some
Lol
You are nothing if not persistent
Did you mean "Not all atheists but some atheists" this time?

Lansdale, PA

#2213 Jul 10, 2012
kubilgan wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, but can I watch?
No

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Supernatural Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aliens verses Demons (Mar '14) Nov 18 Earth Whisperer 120
News Haunted Houses In San Pedro (Jul '08) Nov 15 Elba 104
News Spiritual but not Religious Nov '16 True Christian wi... 5
News Cruisin' Connecticut - " Haunted, Abandoned a o... Oct '16 America Gentleman... 1
Want to learn how to move objects with your eyes. (Oct '06) Oct '16 kasonko wamaganja 986
News 'Ghost Asylum' Recap for Old Ironton Psychiatri... (Oct '14) Oct '16 John Doe 30
News Are ghosts real? (Dec '07) Oct '16 Cosmic45 199
More from around the web