Sex and Consequences

Sex and Consequences

There are 33 comments on the Town Hall story from Jan 10, 2007, titled Sex and Consequences. In it, Town Hall reports that:

On college campuses, counselors are seeing double the number of depression cases and triple the number of suicidal students.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Town Hall.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 06

AOL

#21 Jan 14, 2007
franko wrote:
I have not studied the field of hormonal side effects very much but I did read an article last summer that discussed this in general terms of "where is this feild of medicine leading to?".
It concluded that the effects of most hormones are not fully understood, and that the mix of several hormones, which are usually present at the same time, can make it very difficult to isolate the influences of anyone hormone.
Add to that real life events and the different ways people react emotionaly, which brings even more homrones into the picture.
SO, for the most part, any conclusions anyone is reaching seem to be "best guesses" in many cases.
There is the concept that a man or woman should, through their own intellect, be able to rise above the petty underlying influences of hormones and act in a normal rational manner regardless of how hormones are acting undereneath.
However, we all know that there are things that influence our behaviour without us even knowing why it is happening or often we don't even realize we are acting a certain way, even when someone tells us.(There are women who deny they get cranky when they have PMS, for exmaple. WE men know differently.. SHudder....)
NAgging little things that we can't explain why we are particularily emotional, or cranky, or whatever.
True.

AOL

#22 Jan 14, 2007
pbfa wrote:
<quoted text>
An Eric Keroack fan? More info on this fellow and his agenda at :
http://www.slate.com/id/2154249/...
He & his oxytocin idea have been thoroughly debunked many times. From the above article:
In Keroack's own lectures and writing, he also makes claims designed to scare the bejesus out of kids to convince them to remain abstinent. One pet theory involves the neuropeptide oxytocin, which plays a role in mother-child bonding and social affiliation. Keroack claims that that people who engage in premarital sex experience chronic emotional pain, which lowers their oxytocin levels. This in turn impairs their ability to form healthy relationships down the road. "People who have misused their sexual faculty and become bonded to multiple persons will diminish the power of oxytocin to maintain a permanent bond with an individual," he writes.
Keroack's cites research on oxytocin levels in animals like prairie voles. There are obvious problems in extrapolating from voles to humans, whose brains are much more complex. A handful of human studies show a role for oxytocin in promoting sociability. But there are inconsistencies. One study found that lactating women who had higher plasma levels of oxytocin reported being more sociable. But two others found that women with higher oxytocin levels reported higher relationship distress—precisely the opposite of Keroack's claim. More crucially, there are no data to suggest a causal link between oxytocin levels and marital happiness—or between any of this and premarital sex. Keroack's claim is simply "not borne out by the current evidence," says Jennifer Bartz of Mount Sinai School of Medicine, author of an excellent review article. To be less polite, this is a guy who takes a neuropeptide and a prairie vole and spins from them science fiction.
I wonder if a good course in critical thinking or research might be helpful.
You asked me if I was a fan of some guy,
and I asked you about your experience with casual sex.

BTW, my thinking, critical or not, is off limits.

AOL

#23 Jan 14, 2007
pbfa wrote:
So you respond with a sexual slur because I suggest you need help with critical thinking? No response to substance, just pouting.
Yes.

If I need help with my critical thinking, you need help with your sex life. Keep it impersonal.

“Beauty on four legs”

Since: Sep 06

Location hidden

#24 Jan 14, 2007
Amber B wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.
If I need help with my critical thinking, you need help with your sex life. Keep it impersonal.
*If*? You post discredited nonsense, get called on it, have no substantive response, I suggest you need to sharpen ( or gain) critical thinking skills, so you make it personal & nasty. Why do you think pouting reinforces your pose as a thoughtful person? Your comments were inaccurate, and if you knew how to think or research you would know why they were inaccurate. You would also know why your childish little slur is an inaccurate formulation.
If you want to look as if you actually do think, try doing the backup work. Try questioning & sourcing the things you claim you 'know', and stop pouting. It's really, really unattractive.

AOL

#25 Jan 14, 2007
pbfa wrote:
<quoted text>
*If*? You post discredited nonsense, get called on it, have no substantive response, I suggest you need to sharpen ( or gain) critical thinking skills, so you make it personal & nasty. Why do you think pouting reinforces your pose as a thoughtful person? Your comments were inaccurate, and if you knew how to think or research you would know why they were inaccurate. You would also know why your childish little slur is an inaccurate formulation.
If you want to look as if you actually do think, try doing the backup work. Try questioning & sourcing the things you claim you 'know', and stop pouting. It's really, really unattractive.
Lol. Yes Ma'am, straightened me right up... Thanks that's what I needed, a good talking to.

AOL

#26 Jan 14, 2007
pbfa wrote:
<quoted text>
If you wanted to know where I got information, in the future you can ask me nicely.
Shib

London, UK

#28 Jan 16, 2007
Well I have a 23 inch penile implant and a pet goat whom I like to touch.
Amber B

AOL

#29 Jan 16, 2007
Franko, I would appreciate exerpts from your book, if you have them.
Elliot
#30 Sep 24, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.
anonymous

Cincinnati, OH

#31 Sep 24, 2013
Well, honey, the sex was fun, and all that... but just don't make the mistake of thinking that you now OWN ME just because you put out a little poontang....
Idell

UK

#34 Jan 30, 2014
I've been on Effexor from http://goo.gl/3FuqC7 only one week but am cautiously very optimistic. Prior to this I was on citalopram but still feeling very low and sleeping poorly, feeling like I needed to be in bed 12-16 hours a day. Now I am waking naturally after only 8 hours sleep and finding it much easier to concentrate at work. I can hardly believe it is working so quickly but I feel so much better. I've had no side effects.
Dick

Fayetteville, WV

#35 Jan 30, 2014
SO, for the most part, any conclusions anyone is reaching seem to be "best guesses" in many cases.

There is the concept that a man or woman should, through their own intellect, be able to rise above the petty underlying influences of hormones and act in a normal rational manner regardless of how hormones are acting undereneath.

However, we all know that there are things that influence our behaviour without us even knowing why it is happening or often we don't even realize we are acting a certain way, even when someone tells us.(There are women who deny they get cranky when they have PMS, for exmaple. WE men know differently.. SHudder....)

NAgging little things that we can't explain why we are particularily emotional, or cranky, or whatever. Poor matt just like his cuz . Hurt by women so we have to use them for are needs
anonymous

Cincinnati, OH

#36 Jan 30, 2014
Interesting that you should say that... when I was a young and tender man, I was dumped by a girl I cared greatly for, and yes even loved (maybe infatuated over). Not that it would have ever worked. I was in college, away from home, and the breakup came by means of a "dear john" letter.... I was greatly hurt. I learned, and was toughened by that, and left with trust issues. Many women that came after that paid for that experience, until I learned to trust again.
Join Free

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Human Sexuality Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New dirty k..k (Oct '15) 1 min Nothingalll 254,524
Gay-Bi skype fun (Jul '15) 1 min nik 359,082
gay snapchat!!! (Dec '12) 1 min Heathphantom 1,511,386
Gay/bi k.k (Nov '15) 1 min yorjshire 156,638
Snapchat usernames ;) (Jan '13) 2 min hkkhf 48,064
Girls, have you ever made a guy drink your pee? (Jul '13) 2 min Sexwithsister 898
Gay meet Grimsby/Cleethorpes (Jun '13) 2 min Habb 1,793
Girls nude snapchat usernames (May '14) 20 min Hllllv 187,657
More from around the web