Episcopal defections rise

Episcopal defections rise

There are 38 comments on the Examiner.com story from Jul 1, 2012, titled Episcopal defections rise. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

Membership in the Episcopal Church continues to slide amidst wrangling over gay bishops, women bishops, and purse-string scandals, the most recent debacle erupting in the high desert sands of New Mexico ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#22 Jul 5, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know - the story of the widow's mite comes to mind. Her willingness to give all she had was surely a "measure of her faith." And the rich young ruler's faith was "measured" by his unwillingness. If TEO was doing God's work, more would be willing to support that work.
It wasn't the offering of the money, George.

It was the sincerety of the prayer.
George

Jacksonville, FL

#23 Jul 5, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
"Now Jesus sat opposite the treasury and saw how the people put money into the treasury. And many who were rich put in much. 42 Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites,[a] which make a quadrans. 43 So He called His disciples to Himself and said to them,“Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; 44 for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood.”

So - which prayer is it that you are referencing?

“Romans 13: 8-10”

Since: Feb 08

Oklahoma City, OK

#24 Jul 5, 2012
Chase wrote:
Check the numbers. EVER denomination that waffles on the Bible's many commands against all homosexual behavior are in steep decline, while nearly all that strongly uphold them are growing.
Excellent data on all but traditional black denominations are presented at www.thearda.com
The Bible never says this
Ever
The purpose of a baseball owner or concert promoter is to fill seats. A church with lots of people because they spread hate is going against Jesus

Location hidden

#25 Jul 5, 2012
OkieDarren wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever
The purpose of a baseball owner or concert promoter is to fill seats. A church with lots of people because they spread hate is going against Jesus
Amen, Brother.
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#26 Jul 5, 2012
The world had its chance of getting rid of all religion, and its tyranny over the human mind, in the eighteenth century; it didn't take this chance and is now paying for it due to the usual laziness and indiference of most people when it comes to reasoning; much easier to let some priest or pastor think for you and take your money in the bargain. The church knows our every weak spot and takes advantage of the really alarming ignorance of the masses.
Chase

Pekin, IL

#27 Jul 5, 2012
DopieDarren wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever
DopieDarren, you know you are lying! You have never been able to cite a single Bible translation, ancient Bible text, or Judeo-Christian tradition that places the Bible's many commands against all homosexual behavior in question!

Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."
Chase

Pekin, IL

#28 Jul 5, 2012
PS, DopieDarren, God's many commands against homosexual behavior are not 'hate.' They are the loving edict of a Father wanting to save his children from suffering, both in this life and in the next.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#29 Jul 6, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know - the story of the widow's mite comes to mind. Her willingness to give all she had was surely a "measure of her faith." And the rich young ruler's faith was "measured" by his unwillingness. If TEO was doing God's work, more would be willing to support that work.
So you've given all you have?

Did you forget to donate your computer?

LOL..........

The Mountain Empire

#30 Jul 6, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen brother.

Even the literalists can't take the Bible literally.

I'm sure they will be judged that way though, as they judge others....

Location hidden

#31 Jul 6, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen brother.
Man!

There is something incredibly negative and dense about the mindset of these literalists. It is much deeper and more void of Light than the simple acceptance of a child-like faith would have one believe.

It is pit-bull, lockjaw-like in its fierce defense of a finite God that they believe they can control by citing wizard-like spells in terms of biblical quotes.

Astonishing in both its naivete' and refusal to see openly. In contemplation, I think that the underlying cause of an acceptance of literalism is a paralyzing terror and fear of death.

Rev. Ken
George

Jacksonville, FL

#32 Jul 6, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen brother.
Until now, I thought you at least could follow the discussion. You have now officially joined McCabe whose non-sequiturs and inability to follow a thought are legion.

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

#33 Jul 6, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen brother.
Just go back earlier in this stream of comments and see a child playing ‘Christian’ that is unable to produce any words said to have been spoken by Christ Jesus. What a good Christian boy he is – makes us all so proud – LOL!

The Mountain Empire

#35 Jul 7, 2012
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Man!
There is something incredibly negative and dense about the mindset of these literalists. It is much deeper and more void of Light than the simple acceptance of a child-like faith would have one believe.
It is pit-bull, lockjaw-like in its fierce defense of a finite God that they believe they can control by citing wizard-like spells in terms of biblical quotes.
Astonishing in both its naivete' and refusal to see openly. In contemplation, I think that the underlying cause of an acceptance of literalism is a paralyzing terror and fear of death.
Rev. Ken
I don't get it either, stubbornness has no virtue.

If science didn't let them know, they would still think a solar eclipse was a punishment from God and He took the sun away.

So many of little faith, no wonder they are unable to love....

The Mountain Empire

#36 Jul 7, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
Until now, I thought you at least could follow the discussion. You have now officially joined McCabe whose non-sequiturs and inability to follow a thought are legion.
^
^
^
Perfect example of a man of little faith and an inability to do as Jesus commanded, love all as you Father in Heaven does, he makes the sun and rain fall on the good and the evil.

That's why we converse with you, evil little man....
Marco

Pekin, IL

#37 Jul 7, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
^
^
^
Perfect example of a man of little faith and an inability to do as Jesus commanded, love all as you Father in Heaven does, he makes the sun and rain fall on the good and the evil.
That's why we converse with you, evil little man....
So you can talk nasty to him but he shouldn't respond?

As a non-Christian, you really don't have a fish to fry in this one.

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#38 Jul 8, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
from Examiner:
"In Albuquerque the Cathedral Church of St. John was seen headed toward eventual bankruptcy as its members deserted to other less-ornate, smaller Episcopal churches. Then the cathedral accountant sounded an alarm. In effect, he accused the church leadership of complacency in the sloppy way the cathedral was run. Immediately the area’s bishop rushed to quash the bad mouthing with an apparent cover-up.
"Membership had spiraled down, a decline proportionately similar to the national loss in recent decades. A 2010 national headcount revealed 1,951,907 defectors from what had been 3.6 million members, church records show. Membership in 2011 held at 2,006,343, down 2.48 percent, according to the National Council of Churches."
I don't think this problem is exclusive to the Episcopal Church. In fact most American Mainline churches have suffered a major drop in membership.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#39 Jul 9, 2012
Admiral Kolchak wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think this problem is exclusive to the Episcopal Church. In fact most American Mainline churches have suffered a major drop in membership.
I don't think most American Mainline churches have lost nearly half their membership.
Cave Mans R Us

Alpharetta, GA

#40 Jul 9, 2012
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think most American Mainline churches have lost nearly half their membership.
They will all disappear except those who enjoy studying ancient history as a personal hobby
We are bound by a system of modern law that trumps the laws of past civilizations

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sex Scandal Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bridgeport diocese haunted by past abuse Sep 23 Samuels Furnace Man 12
News Duggars new TV show hated by neighbors: Disgust... (Feb '16) Sep 15 Scott 3
News Poll shows Virginia lawmaker jailed in sex scan... Aug 31 Hostis Publicus 3
News Bristol Palin: Breaking abstinence pledge again... (Jun '15) Jul '16 Keynes 12
News Pro-Najib Bloggers Go on Rampage: Shafie's Sex ... Jul '16 toofanvpn 1
News Josh Duggar's Fall From Unholy Grace Jun '16 BIG TEX 5
fem for fone fun Jun '16 Starz3393 1
More from around the web