Family Businesses Are Reeling in Recession

There are 19 comments on the Jul 14, 2009, www.nytimes.com story titled Family Businesses Are Reeling in Recession. In it, www.nytimes.com reports that:

Using only strips of canvas and a little rope, Scott Peterson walked up a 50-foot flagpole here to remove a star-spangled banner with reds faded pink.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.nytimes.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jun 09

Brooklyn NY

#62 Jul 17, 2009
Federalist Papers wrote:
I blame Obama and his crew. The fact is that the TARP only helped the Banks, Investment Banks and Large Corporations. They even let GM and Chrysler walk away with Billions in money then file bankruptcy and screw over thousands of medium to small business suppliers. They will not get paid on past due invoices and yet the UAW is getting their piece of the pie. How many mid to small size suppliers will vanish due to not getting their invoices paid. I hear figures from the 100's to the 1,000's. Why did the govt. not make sure that they were paid in full before letting the two UAW GM / Chrysler file bankruptcy. I will tell you because small business did not line the Democrats pockets last election. Its all about lobbyist and pay offs!
TERM LIMITS forget about health care TERM LIMITS
Yeppers

Orlando, FL

#63 Jul 17, 2009
Corbin Dallas wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to love the responses from the pseudo know it alls who do not have a clue as to what we are talking about..."Shut it down and go find a job" rich really rich as well as amusing clueless individual, but if the current state of affairs continues many will not have a choice as even if you are booking money these days you are still waiting to get paid the new 60 turned into 90+ days on receivables, yep a good solid do nothing Govt job is where it is at, forget about innovation and the aggresive spirit that motivated many into small business, as soon as this breaks I for one am moving to agriculture check food prices latley?
The wife usually does the shopping, I went about a month ago or so and on the way home (after having "sticker" shock) I called my wife and said "I had no idea how expensive things were at the grocery store", I think I got 4 bags of groceries and it was over $50.00...

Small business will be all but finished, especially if the health care bill passes in it's present form, that will be the final "nail in the coffin" for many small business's, then small business owners can plan I buying everything at Walmart as well as working there...
Say the Truth

West Chester, PA

#64 Jul 17, 2009
Corbin Dallas wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to love the responses from the pseudo know it alls who do not have a clue as to what we are talking about..."Shut it down and go find a job" rich really rich as well as amusing clueless individual, but if the current state of affairs continues many will not have a choice as even if you are booking money these days you are still waiting to get paid the new 60 turned into 90+ days on receivables, yep a good solid do nothing Govt job is where it is at, forget about innovation and the aggresive spirit that motivated many into small business, as soon as this breaks I for one am moving to agriculture check food prices latley?
Guess which city has the most unfilled job openings?

http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends.jsp
Yeppers

Orlando, FL

#65 Jul 17, 2009
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess which city has the most unfilled job openings?
http://www.indeed.com/jobtrends.jsp
LOL...It figures!
Say the Truth

West Chester, PA

#66 Jul 17, 2009
Yeppers wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL...It figures!
\
The only jobs government creates are government jobs.

Since: Jun 09

Brooklyn NY

#67 Jul 17, 2009
Yeppers wrote:
<quoted text>
The wife usually does the shopping, I went about a month ago or so and on the way home (after having "sticker" shock) I called my wife and said "I had no idea how expensive things were at the grocery store", I think I got 4 bags of groceries and it was over $50.00...
Small business will be all but finished, especially if the health care bill passes in it's present form, that will be the final "nail in the coffin" for many small business's, then small business owners can plan I buying everything at Walmart as well as working there...
There will be an awful lot of 1099's flying around and the payroll tax collection will fall through the floor....I have never been other than self employed since the age of 25 have no patience for the corporate politics nor the seniority based management. The longest stint of unemployment was 3 days when I changed States, college grad with excelent carpentry skills build dog houses if I have to, but prefer engineering, that is until now or rather last year when we saw this debacle coming. Construction is usually a year or two behind the plans and there were very few plans last year....

“Love of $ is the Root of Evil”

Since: Sep 08

Gotham City

#68 Jul 17, 2009
Federalist Papers wrote:
I blame Obama and his crew. The fact is that the TARP only helped the Banks, Investment Banks and Large Corporations. They even let GM and Chrysler walk away with Billions in money then file bankruptcy and screw over thousands of medium to small business suppliers. They will not get paid on past due invoices and yet the UAW is getting their piece of the pie. How many mid to small size suppliers will vanish due to not getting their invoices paid. I hear figures from the 100's to the 1,000's. Why did the govt. not make sure that they were paid in full before letting the two UAW GM / Chrysler file bankruptcy. I will tell you because small business did not line the Democrats pockets last election. Its all about lobbyist and pay offs!
Ummmm.... Didn't the bailout TARP money get passed under Bush?

&fe ature=related

Don't you remember his "dire warnings" and how Bush threatened that if Congress didn't bail out his friends, we would all suffer... losing jobs, businesses and going into utter chaos.

How easily people forget the past.
Federalist Papers

Indianapolis, IN

#69 Jul 18, 2009
Danny_Livewire wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummmm.... Didn't the bailout TARP money get passed under Bush?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =zefH78DvJvkXX&feature=rel ated
Don't you remember his "dire warnings" and how Bush threatened that if Congress didn't bail out his friends, we would all suffer... losing jobs, businesses and going into utter chaos.
How easily people forget the past.
I was against it when he starte this damn slippery slope.
NuVitae Drink

Los Angeles, CA

#70 Jul 18, 2009
The Richest Man in The World is The Man That Can Be lied to, Robbed and lost every thing he ever worked for and Still be happy and thank God for all he had ever been given and be so thankful to just be ALIVE. Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence?
Five signers were captured by the British as traitors,
and tortured before they died.
Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned.
Two lost their sons serving in the Revolutionary Army; another had two sons captured.
Nine of the 56 fought and died from wounds or hardships of the Revolutionary War.
They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor.
What kind of men were they?
Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists
Eleven were merchants
Nine were farmers and large plantation owners
Men of means, well educated
But they signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty would be death if they were captured.
Carter Braxton of Virgina, a wealthy planter and Trader, saw his ships swept from the seas by the British Navy. He sold his home and properties to pay his debts, and died in rags.
Thomas McKeam was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his family almost constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him and poverty was his reward. Vadals or soldiers looted the properties of Dillery, Hall, Clymer, Walton, Gwinnett, Heyward, Ruttledge, and Middleton.
At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British General Cornwallis had taken over the Nelson Home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General George Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.
Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his wife, and she died within a few months.
John Hart was driven fromm his wife's bedside as she was dying, their 13 children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home to find his wife dead and his children vanished.

Remember: freedom is never free! Call me Rocky Harrison And Tell Your Friends about www.nuvitae.com/NewAgeDrink Pre Launch Never Be Poor Any More.
Oregon Is Disgusting

Portland, OR

#71 Jul 18, 2009
Federalist Papers wrote:
TARP happened under Bush.

Oregon Is Disgusting

Portland, OR

#72 Jul 18, 2009
Yeppers wrote:
<quoted text>
Then be for single payer which will be an incredible boost to small business, the engine of job growth.
Mothra

Portland, OR

#73 Jul 18, 2009
Oregon Is Disgusting wrote:
<quoted text>
Only half the money was distributed under Bush... the other half came from Obama.
Mothra

Portland, OR

#74 Jul 18, 2009
<quoted text>
Then be for single payer which will be an incredible boost to small business, the engine of job growth.
Quit posting your idiotic drivel.
Oregon Is Disgusting

Portland, OR

#75 Jul 18, 2009
Mothra wrote:
<quoted text>
Only half the money was distributed under Bush... the other half came from Obama.

The second Republican Depression happened under Bush. Hank Goldman Sachs Paulson went to Congress demanding it give him $750 billion of US taxpayer money with no strings attached whatsoever...under Bush.

The debt bubble grew to its huge state under Bush.

Remember Bush hemming and hawing and refusing to do anything about mortgages? I didn't think so.

Since: Aug 07

georgetown, washington dc

#76 Jul 18, 2009
Recession proof things still exist. For one contracts binding everyone to sell at the same price allow the hard workers to prosper.
Federalist Papers

San Francisco, CA

#77 Jul 20, 2009
<quoted text>
The second Republican Depression happened under Bush. Hank Goldman Sachs Paulson went to Congress demanding it give him $750 billion of US taxpayer money with no strings attached whatsoever...under Bush.
The debt bubble grew to its huge state under Bush.
Remember Bush hemming and hawing and refusing to do anything about mortgages? I didn't think so.
Actually, Bush cannot spend money without Congressional approval. It was a democrat controlled Congress that passed Tarp. It was a majority of republicans who were against it in the HOUSE.

Gotham City

#78 Jul 20, 2009
Federalist Papers wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Bush cannot spend money without Congressional approval. It was a democrat controlled Congress that passed Tarp. It was a majority of republicans who were against it in the HOUSE.
Wrong again. The Senate voted against the bailout for the Auto makers. The president made an executive order anyway....

Such a short memory span on conservatives these days.... yeish... Maybe it's just denial that they are stuck in ???
Federalist Papers

San Francisco, CA

#79 Jul 21, 2009
Danny_Livewire wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again. The Senate voted against the bailout for the Auto makers. The president made an executive order anyway....
Such a short memory span on conservatives these days.... yeish... Maybe it's just denial that they are stuck in ???
Wrong, Congress voted the Tarp funds. I understand it is hard for libs to stay on track. Also your buddy Obama has now inflated the national debt to an all time high. That is on his watch not Bush's.

Gotham City

#80 Jul 23, 2009
Federalist Papers wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, Congress voted the Tarp funds. I understand it is hard for libs to stay on track. Also your buddy Obama has now inflated the national debt to an all time high. That is on his watch not Bush's.
Tarp funds... And the AUTO bailout money were two totally different bailout plans...

I know it's easy to get them confused, but they are not the same thing.

And your talking to me like i'm a conservative.... I don't care if Obama spends 8 kazillion dollars... As long as it goes to support the people of the USA, I am happy about it....

Bush passed billions of dollars for his international friends.... That is US taxpayer money, going to foreign organizations... Many of which our sworn enemies of the USA.

And I haven't even brought up the military contracting holes in our economy yet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scott Peterson Trial Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
I don't think Scott did this (May '09) Apr 23 psywizard880 5
News Scott Peterson family asking for donations (Jul '09) Apr 14 tom wingo 64
Scott Peterson's email address in prison (Oct '07) Apr 12 Tamara 97
News David Temple 48 Hours Mystery (Dec '08) Mar '15 Katygirl 101
News Jodi Arias (Jun '13) Mar '15 Jinx 6
News Laci's mom outraged over Scott Peterson's blog (Jul '08) Aug '14 Stedenko 3,068
News Sandusky Trial: TV Legal Analyst Beth Karas Say... (Jun '12) Jul '14 dutfan 2
More from around the web