Devore's testimony: Fact or Fiction?

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Scott Peterson is Innocent”

Since: Jun 07

White Rock

#1 Jun 22, 2007
On the face of it, Devore's testimony was foolish. Is he trying to say that he can
ultrasound the leg bone of anyone and tell within a day when they were born? Who
believes that? Even for a fetus the values from the various books are merely
guides as to dates - they must inevitably have some leeway. Also, why use that
bone? Isn't it the most likely to vary based on genetics and not age?

Let's look at this another way. We know that Conner was alive on the 23rd.
Ignoring the witnesses that saw Laci on the 24th, use that as one end of the
range. Since he was found with meconium in his system, he could have lived at most
to, say Feb 20th (two days after the end of the range of birth dates I have seen
proffered). Every doctor but one and other experienced witnesses say he was full
term. Only Devore claims that it was, if ever so slightly, possible that Conner
died some time on the 23rd or 24th of December. In other words he puts the date of
death at the extreme end of the range of possibilities. Is this valid forensic
testimony?

It should be noted that charts such as Devore used are, if properly founded,
based on a large number of cases. A line is drawn through the middle of these
cases as plotted on a graph. If, say, 1000 measurements are made then 500 (say)
of those cases fall above the line and Devore's conclusions are valid for those
BUT 500 (say) fall below the line and he is wrong for those. No evidence was
offered that Conner did not fall below the line and thus Devore's conclusion
cannot stand.

Laci's uterus was 32 weeks size and so was Connor the day before she went missing.
At autopsy (and if she died the next day), the uterus measured 23 cm (which is
about 2 weeks post partum). Connor was anywhere from 32 to 38 weeks. How does a
32-38 week fetus fit into a 23 week uterus? This contradicts Devore completely and
makes his testimony of no value.

"WHAT'S HAPPENING WITH YOUR BABY: Pregnancy week 38

Your baby's lanugo, the fine hair that covers the body, will probably disappear
this week. The vernix, a creamy substance that protects the baby's skin, is also
disappearing".

Since neither, it seems, were present, this means the baby was older than 38
weeks.
Playing The Angel

Redmond, WA

#2 Jun 22, 2007
You must be tied at the hip to AW2B. Where are you getting your info that 23 cm is a 2 week post partum uterus?
Foxylady

Stacy, MN

#3 Jun 22, 2007
Playing The Angel wrote:
You must be tied at the hip to AW2B. Where are you getting your info that 23 cm is a 2 week post partum uterus?
I think Morrison was tied to the hip of Marlene Newell at one time too. I think he was banned from SII because of the way he disrespects other posters and their opinions. A lot of the stuff he's spouting here was said on SII but, not by him.

White Rock

#4 Jun 22, 2007
Playing The Idiot wrote:
Where are you getting your info that 23 cm is a 2 week post partum uterus?
Prove it isn't

White Rock

#5 Jun 22, 2007
Foxylady wrote:
<quoted text>
I think Morrison was tied to the hip of Marlene Newell at one time too. I think he was banned from SII because of the way he disrespects other posters and their opinions. A lot of the stuff he's spouting here was said on SII but, not by him.
Marlene Newell. Another person whose information you cannot challenge. She's more patient with the idiots than I am.
Foxylady

Redmond, WA

#10 Jun 22, 2007
N Morrison wrote:
<quoted text>Prove it isn't
You'd have to divulge that you didn't come upon that little gem all by yourself. How is it you think you're so smart but, you don't seem to know it's apparent that you get facts that you call your own from someone else?
Foxylady

Redmond, WA

#11 Jun 22, 2007
N Morrison wrote:
<quoted text>Marlene Newell. Another person whose information you cannot challenge. She's more patient with the idiots than I am.
Evidently she lost her patience with you. Now you're taking her theories and calling them your own.
Foxylady

Stacy, MN

#12 Jun 22, 2007
Maggie wrote:
<quoted text>Only in her froggy dreams is her information not challenged. It has been, she lost and so do you every second of your pathetic life. Fun to watch you fail and we know you'll never get anywhere with this made up bull you pull out of your smelly butt. You already admitted you're a criminal not to be trusted. Not even the Ps trust you.
OK SPIG, you've already made these same comments using another nic. Why did you choose the nic Maggie this time? Was it because she was being discussed on another thread? What is the purpose of using multiple nics when the contents of your posts have SPIG written all over them?
Playing The Angel

Redmond, WA

#13 Jun 22, 2007
Marlene Newell got her misinformation from Tom Wilkinson and David Sween. You, Neil Morrison, ate all up and have been choking on it ever since. N Morrison believes that Vivian Mitchell was murdered, but that Laci was not. Go figure.

White Rock

#14 Jun 22, 2007
Foxylady wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd have to divulge that you didn't come upon that little gem all by yourself. How is it you think you're so smart but, you don't seem to know it's apparent that you get facts that you call your own from someone else?
Proof? Of anything? Ever? Or are you just the blowhard you seem to be?

White Rock

#15 Jun 22, 2007
Playing The Angel wrote:
Marlene Newell got her misinformation from Tom Wilkinson and David Sween. You, Neil Morrison, ate all up and have been choking on it ever since. N Morrison believes that Vivian Mitchell was murdered, but that Laci was not. Go figure.
Show me anywhere at any time I ever claimed Vivian Mitchell was murdered. I do claim she was a much better and more reliable witness than Karen Servas who doesn't know what day it is never mind what time it is.

White Rock

#16 Jun 22, 2007
Foxylady wrote:
<quoted text>
Proof?
Playing The Angel

Redmond, WA

#17 Jun 22, 2007
N Morrison, does justice4mitchell ring a bell Ding-A-Ling?

White Rock

#18 Jun 22, 2007
Playing The Angel wrote:
N Morrison, does justice4mitchell ring a bell Ding-A-Ling?
Not for me.
Foxylady

Redmond, WA

#21 Jun 23, 2007
N Morrison wrote:
<quoted text>Proof? Of anything? Ever? Or are you just the blowhard you seem to be?
Resorting to insults now? Typical. LOL
Foxylady

Redmond, WA

#22 Jun 23, 2007
N Morrison wrote:
<quoted text>Proof?
You already responded to this once. Geez, Morrison get it together!!! No need to get so rattled. hahahahaha
the Oracle

Cathedral City, CA

#23 Oct 16, 2011
Hello!

In case your are wondering, I was the one who posted the original material about the errors in the autopsy report, and the implications that Laci died 1 1/2-2 weeks after Connor was taken. I got the measurements from researching the medical literature, as I am a doctor and a pioneer in ultrasound.

DeVore's testimony was laborious,but irrelevant, since the answer is in Laci's autopsy report, which Devore forgot to correlate with his ultrasound findings. You always correlate the ultrasound findings with the clinical findings, then repeat tests or theories until any mismatch is explained. Otherwise, a mismatch in test results may lead you to a mistaken conclusion.

Since Laci lived for 10-14 days after Connor was taken, Scott could not have "done it."
A Voice of Sanity

Kelowna, Canada

#24 Nov 6, 2011
P. Jeanty (used by Devore as a reference), F. Rodesch, D. Delbeke and J. E. Dumont say that his bone measuring method is an unreliable, unscientific method (Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, Vol. 3, Issue 2 75-79).

Devore's 'method' was as 'scientific' as police techniques in Perugia. To quote an actual expert:

"That Doctor DeVore is trying to sell junk science to the jury. His opinion here is not based on fact, not based on personal observation, and not even based on a valid set of statistics. Given the estimate of a fetal age is based on several parameters such as weight (not possible here), length (probably not possible here) and ossification centers (that may be possible, but with a wide variation), all estimates have to be iffy. Each fetus grows at a different rate; for example, my second son was born at about six month's gestation, weighed just under 1 kilogram but was 55 cm long. Other fetuses can also display anomalous parameters.

Where did this "expert" come up with the conclusion that he use an "average" of two or three estimates, and come up with a conclusion to even a reasonable medical possibility (note that the law requires a "reasonable medical certainty" in most states, and a reasonable medical "probability" in other states) in all medical opinions. If California follows Daubert, his testimony would be laughed out of court. It would be hard to accept even under FRE section 700 and following.

The prosecution here must be desperate to try to get in such raunchy evidence. As it stands now, we will never know who killed Ms Peterson unless there is a confession. First the Simpson case, now this circus; what has happened to the courts in California?"

G M Larkin MD
FORENSIC PATHOLOGIST

http://venus.soci.niu.edu/~archives/ABOLISH/o...
Noob

Stuttgart, Germany

#25 Nov 6, 2011
A Voice of Sanity wrote:
P. Jeanty (used by Devore as a reference), F. Rodesch, D. Delbeke and J. E. Dumont say that his bone measuring method is an unreliable, unscientific method (Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, Vol. 3, Issue 2 75-79).
"That Doctor DeVore is trying to sell junk science to the jury. His opinion here is not based on fact, not based on personal observation, and not even based on a valid set of statistics....
As it stands now, we will never know who killed Ms Peterson unless there is a confession. First the Simpson case, now this circus; what has happened to the courts in California?"
G M Larkin MD
FORENSIC PATHOLOGIST
http://venus.soci.niu.edu/~archives/ABOLISH/o...
I couldn't open your link directly, but found the site you quoted via webArchive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060916064230/htt...
A Voice of Sanity

Kelowna, Canada

#26 Nov 17, 2011
Noob wrote:
<quoted text>
I couldn't open your link directly, but found the site you quoted via webArchive:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060916064230/htt...
Yes, they moved to another server I believe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scott Peterson Trial Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Suit: Amber Frey broke deal on 'sex addict' book (Mar '11) Dec '15 Derp 4
Who is a sociopath? (Apr '06) Nov '15 Lola 22
Scott Peterson's email address in prison (Oct '07) Sep '15 karen 98
I don't think Scott did this (May '09) Jun '15 dobby 7
News Scott Peterson family asking for donations (Jul '09) Apr '15 tom wingo 64
News Jodi Arias (Jun '13) Mar '15 Jinx 6
News Laci's mom outraged over Scott Peterson's blog (Jul '08) Aug '14 Stedenko 3,068
More from around the web