Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns ...

Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

There are 8241 comments on the PRWeb story from Feb 4, 2007, titled Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt.... In it, PRWeb reports that:

Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PRWeb.

All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7049 Dec 31, 2012
Blair wrote:
<quoted text>
Barbara, every surgery comes with risks, but you will not escape adhesions.
http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.c...
Blair is right, Barbara. I also stated this in a previous post that after my mesh removal I felt better but I was implanted with another mesh. I am not as bad as I was when I had the Prolene in me and if I had not been implanted again I would probably not be writing on this blog. As Blair said, any surgery comes with risk. No matter what most Dr.'s tell you about a mesh removal you do not know what is inside you or what has been done to you by the mesh till you actually get in there and start poking around. If it is possible to get the mesh out do it. But don't expect to be completely "cured" afterward. Mesh has a habit of doing a lot of damage while implanted and you can't predict a complete recovery. Best Wishes.....
patty

United States

#7050 Dec 31, 2012
Id like to believe that once the mesh is removed that people will be better off. Mesh is put in for a reason. If the mesh is worse than the hernia or problem it was intended to repair then surgeons should warn their patients before scheduling surgery for implant. Surgeons are convinced by the mesh manufacturers that mesh is it. The only way to repair. Ive been able to actually talk a few people out of mesh surgery and gave them the number of a doctor in Las Vegas for consult before taking a step towards mesh implant to repair small hernias. Im no doctor. I do know what mesh has done to my husband and the negitive effect its had on both of our lives. I dont believe anyone gets better after mesh implant. There need to be more surgeons who turn their backs on mesh and learn repair methods that dont include mesh.
Happy New Year !!!
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7051 Dec 31, 2012
patty wrote:
Id like to believe that once the mesh is removed that people will be better off. Mesh is put in for a reason. If the mesh is worse than the hernia or problem it was intended to repair then surgeons should warn their patients before scheduling surgery for implant. Surgeons are convinced by the mesh manufacturers that mesh is it. The only way to repair. Ive been able to actually talk a few people out of mesh surgery and gave them the number of a doctor in Las Vegas for consult before taking a step towards mesh implant to repair small hernias. Im no doctor. I do know what mesh has done to my husband and the negitive effect its had on both of our lives. I dont believe anyone gets better after mesh implant. There need to be more surgeons who turn their backs on mesh and learn repair methods that dont include mesh.
Happy New Year !!!
Always good to hear from you Patty! Best Wishes to you and Don. I totally agree with you. My Dr felt that the hole from the Prolene removal was too big to fix anyother way an so he installed a Small Kugel(oval) with ring. I wasn't asked. I woke up with another mesh product. The emergency room report, when I came in so sick from the Prolene, states that "the mesh has to be removed". I can find no other statement either from the surgeon nor the hospital as to why the mesh had to be removed. I was obviously gravely ill and near death. But why? In an obscure form from a Workmens Comp Dr. a couple years after the surgery I found where he said that I had an "allergic reaction to the Prolene mesh". Then why in the world would you reinstall a mesh product? Its easy. Its very profitable. And either your fellow Dr.'s are unaware of the mesh problem and shrug their collective shoulders or they are aware and won't say a friging thing to you about it. Its your problem. Its in YOUR head. Your on pain pills. You need pain pills. You need pain management. Nerve entrapment. Fibromialgia. Lupus. But nothing about what the real problem is. They know what this crap does and/or can do. They have known for awhile. Going back to the original subject... ;>) If you can have mesh removed without killing you( as is possible with mine), cripple you or just leave you so incapacitated that life isn't worth it because of the pain I would have to try to get the crap out. Best Wishes to Everyone for the New Year!! May it be a great one for us all......Screw the FDA!
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7052 Jan 2, 2013
Anybody notice the ad at the header of this page advertiseing loans on "future" mesh lawsuit settlements? Can't be for hernia mesh! How is everybody doin'? Anyone get a settlement? Lawyer telling you anything? Anyone sent a report to the FDA via the MAUDE data base lately? Remember! The more the merrier! Lets all take the time and send our favorite govenmental agency a love letter today! Make another MAUDE report. I'm trying for double digits, myself! WTF!??? OBAMACARE is all about taking care of the little people. Lets make sure that the FDA is doing the same. I always laugh when I get the hard copy letter from the FDA professing that "2 or 3 substantiated instances" will cause an immediate "alert" to be made. To bad they don't acknowledge ANY evidence about mesh. Gynocological mesh they are now having to put out an alert but not a recall. So, please everybody, make another MAUDE report. Lets make it tough on them. As for us? Just another tricky day in paradise. Smile on our face. Song in our heart OORAH! Best Wishes......
nomeshno

Gilbert, AZ

#7053 Jan 3, 2013
Winston wrote:
I have a friend who had hernia surgery just over a year ago and had to go back in to hospital to find out why pain was in same area. There was alot of fluid, mucus looking fluid around the area of the polypropelene mesh. Doctors could not explain what it is. Has anyone had this happen? Is this some kind of reaction to the mesh? No infection has taken place, no issues after the initial surgery and blood work came back normal during this recent stay in hospital. Doctor elected not to remove mesh until they could find out what the mucus substance was. Any help would be appreciated.
most likely the body is rejecting the mesh. It maybe a seroma, kinda lime a blister when you where new dress shoes but in this case new plastic poisonous mesh. He may have hives and eventually possible bowel obstructions. Very few drs will admit the mesh is causing his symptoms, they will keep passing the pt to another dr to waste time. Drs. Are human and like all human some are caring and truthful and others are not. The mesh needs to be removed by a competent surgeon, it maybe difficult to find one but keep searching for the right surgeon who really wants to help and remove the foreign body, the sooner the better. Am speaking from experience myself, sorry it is a life changing tough road ahead.
E from SA

San Antonio, TX

#7054 Jan 4, 2013
I've had an inguinal hernia for going on 4 years. It was insanely manageable until recently...... So I started researching repair situations. I'm scare now. I want this hernia fixed so I don't get an infection or something and die, but I also want to enrich my life by refusing a patch. Jobless and insuranceless because of this hernia, leaves me with little to no option in the event that I get sick enough though. I'm so very sorry for all the problems you guys and your friends/family have. It's terrible. Now I need to figure out what else I can do besides mesh, because I'll be damned it I let a surgeon install mesh. If anyone has any advice, I could really use it and in a hurry please.
riverrat

Houston, MN

#7055 Jan 5, 2013
have ur doc file a ssi cliam
file claims as to what the doctor says ur suffering from and have hime file out his on diabled fourm for you

and in ur own words on this file tellem ho ya feek and why ya cant work

file for sleep apne ,slo tellem ya cant sleep to the of aving this mesh in side you
ssi will send you to there docs yes even a shrink tellem the true of all ur suffering from and let the facts tell the story and if good then you will get ssi or ssdi
good luck are you a veteran?
hkjamielee

Charlotte, NC

#7056 Jan 7, 2013
Where was justice?
AnySuggestions

Lake Villa, IL

#7057 Jan 9, 2013
I was recently diagnosed with MS. It all started with the left side of my face going completely numb, first thought I had Bell's Palsy, Stroke, but the MRI's showed I have MS. Problem is....After 3 months of being MISERABLE from the MS medications and only making things worse, I have noticed over the past month or so that I have pressure in the area where I had a hernia mesh inplant that was done in 1995. I have had bladder problems for about8 years, but figured it may be prostate issues as it runs in the family(I Know, I SHOULD have had it checked, but it go away, come back, etc.) Now I don't have most symptoms that MS patients have, I only have a numb left side of my mouth and urinary problems. I am not after money, I am just trying to figure out if the mesh could have had anything to do with what is going on with me? Any info would be greatly appreciated. My Doctor doesn't want to discuss this with me, just trying to figure this out. Thank You All

Since: Jan 13

Lake Villa, IL

#7058 Jan 9, 2013
I just wrote the post "AnySuggestions".... .this is my first time on this site, and did not sign up before writing that, if you have any info for me I am now "AnySugestion" I am amazed by what I am reading on here and am so sorry to hear what you all have been through...I can only pray for all of you that will get better. I hope to hear back with any info available.....Thank You so much, and best of luck to everyone suffering from this
patty

Eugene, OR

#7059 Jan 9, 2013
AnySuggestion wrote:
I just wrote the post "AnySuggestions".... .this is my first time on this site, and did not sign up before writing that, if you have any info for me I am now "AnySugestion" I am amazed by what I am reading on here and am so sorry to hear what you all have been through...I can only pray for all of you that will get better. I hope to hear back with any info available.....Thank You so much, and best of luck to everyone suffering from this
Wow you have been through alot. I have no idea about the relatiinship between your disorder and your mesh but...... your doctor not wanting to discuss it is just wrong . You are not the first person who says this. It happens to many of the mesh victims. I just dont get it. Good luck getting the information you are seeking. I know that mesh causes autoimune problems plus dozens of other post implant disorders and health problems. One issue being discussed is Lupus. I really do wish you the very best.
patty

Eugene, OR

#7060 Jan 9, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
<quoted text> Always good to hear from you Patty! Best Wishes to you and Don. I totally agree with you. My Dr felt that the hole from the Prolene removal was too big to fix anyother way an so he installed a Small Kugel(oval) with ring. I wasn't asked. I woke up with another mesh product. The emergency room report, when I came in so sick from the Prolene, states that "the mesh has to be removed". I can find no other statement either from the surgeon nor the hospital as to why the mesh had to be removed. I was obviously gravely ill and near death. But why? In an obscure form from a Workmens Comp Dr. a couple years after the surgery I found where he said that I had an "allergic reaction to the Prolene mesh". Then why in the world would you reinstall a mesh product? Its easy. Its very profitable. And either your fellow Dr.'s are unaware of the mesh problem and shrug their collective shoulders or they are aware and won't say a friging thing to you about it. Its your problem. Its in YOUR head. Your on pain pills. You need pain pills. You need pain management. Nerve entrapment. Fibromialgia. Lupus. But nothing about what the real problem is. They know what this crap does and/or can do. They have known for awhile. Going back to the original subject... ;>) If you can have mesh removed without killing you( as is possible with mine), cripple you or just leave you so incapacitated that life isn't worth it because of the pain I would have to try to get the crap out. Best Wishes to Everyone for the New Year!! May it be a great one for us all......Screw the FDA!
I dont see why the only fix is a mesh! I hope you at least got a kiss before he screwed you! Yes, frick the FDA. Hope 2013 is a better year for all of us. Hey Denver is looking hot ! Homefield advantage gotta beat green bay baltimore and my most hated team SF! then Superbowl bound??? Ive always loved Manning!
tad

Nottingham, MD

#7061 Jan 10, 2013
XBOXKIDS wrote:
MY HUSBAND HAD HERNIA SURGERY IN APRIL 98.
FOR THE LAST 2/3 MONTHS HE HAS HAD A LOT OF PAIN AND BURNING IN THE LOWER PART OF HIS ABDOMINAL I WAS WONDERING IF THIS COULD BE SOME OF THE SYMPTONS?
I ended up with a colostomy from mesh from a hernia. Always had stomach pain and issues until it got so bad the mesh was wrapped around my intestines and colon. Now I am marred for life.
Suzie

Los Angeles, CA

#7062 Jan 11, 2013
Hernia mesh patches and other similar devices like pelvic mesh slings have been initially highly regarded due to the benefits they offer to people enduring hernia, prolapse, or urinary incontinence. Although treatments carry their own distinct risk of side effects, the notion that these medical devices have reportedly caused ongoing pain and almost irrevocable damage to some patients could be really appalling. There is information at http://www.bladderslingrecall.us that could be a great reference to people interested.
patty

Eugene, OR

#7063 Jan 11, 2013
Suzie wrote:
Hernia mesh patches and other similar devices like pelvic mesh slings have been initially highly regarded due to the benefits they offer to people enduring hernia, prolapse, or urinary incontinence. Although treatments carry their own distinct risk of side effects, the notion that these medical devices have reportedly caused ongoing pain and almost irrevocable damage to some patients could be really appalling. There is pinformation at http://www.bladderslingrecall.us that could be a great reference to people interested.
Take your advertising to the classified section of the newspaper or phonebook. Please and thank you. There I was nice about it this time.
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7064 Jan 11, 2013
patty wrote:
<quoted text>Take your advertising to the classified section of the newspaper or phonebook. Please and thank you. There I was nice about it this time.
Please don't change Patty!!!! Jeez anything other than cantankerous would be SCARY!!! Yep!! Manning is looking great! The Ravens scare me a bit especially if They are ALL healthy! The advertisers are getting more than annoying. Vultures. Hope you and yours are doing well. Best Wishes......
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7065 Jan 11, 2013
tad wrote:
<quoted text>
I ended up with a colostomy from mesh from a hernia. Always had stomach pain and issues until it got so bad the mesh was wrapped around my intestines and colon. Now I am marred for life.
I am so Sorry for what has happened to you, Tad. All of us on this forum have been damaged by mesh products. I am lucky that I am up and around. I am not bed ridden or completely disabled by mesh. I'm getting there, though. The pain is getting worse as time goes along. I have weird pains, sicknesses and infections. Stuff that does not make sense. I worry everyday that the ring of plastic in my gut will finally break and do its worst. I'm a mild case of Meshoma, Tad. I'm a lucky victim. Victims like yourself, like so many others, are left with the damage and no one will be honest with you. The Dr.'s won't. The Hospitals won't. The FDA won't. But you are not alone out there Tad. You have read some of the posts and you know that. So, try to keep the faith. Please, make a report to the FDA's data base, MAUDE. Give em hell, Tad. Its the only way that we can fight back. And keep in touch. Best Wishes......
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7066 Jan 11, 2013
Suzie wrote:
Hernia mesh patches and other similar devices like pelvic mesh slings have been initially highly regarded due to the benefits they offer to people enduring hernia, prolapse, or urinary incontinence. Although treatments carry their own distinct risk of side effects, the notion that these medical devices have reportedly caused ongoing pain and almost irrevocable damage to some patients could be really appalling. There is information at http://www.bladderslingrecall.us that could be a great reference to people interested.
Suzy, Suzy, Suzy.....never WANTED someone to GET an IMPLANT until I read your post!!! Maybe a Bulldog suppostitory? Or tied up inside dufflebag with a cobra, a cat, a rabid chihuahua, a couple of used disposable diapers AND Nancy Pelosi!( kind of a two-fer!) THEN tossed of Niagra Falls. Yeah, that about says it.
nomeshno

Gilbert, AZ

#7067 Jan 11, 2013
Barbara wrote:
I don't understand. Is *anyone* better after getting their mesh taken out? I keep hearing stories about how it's too late and how the mesh has ruined them for life even after it is removed. I haven't heard one story of someone who has had their mesh removed and actually gotten better. Is mesh removal a scam?
Had I not had my hernia mesh removed and my intestines reconstructed, I believe I would be dead by now. So, yes we are better, improved after the mesh has been removed. However, the damage caused by the mesh is permanent and my life as I knew it prior to the implant is over. Mesh removal is life saving but does not guarantee QUALITY of life, just because we can breath, eat, read and type does not mean we have a proper life of someone who is in their 30's with young kids. I am alive, but I live with pain and will for the rest of my life. But again, I would probably not be alive to talk to my kids if the mesh was still in my body.
nomeshno

Gilbert, AZ

#7068 Jan 11, 2013
E from SA wrote:
I've had an inguinal hernia for going on 4 years. It was insanely manageable until recently...... So I started researching repair situations. I'm scare now. I want this hernia fixed so I don't get an infection or something and die, but I also want to enrich my life by refusing a patch. Jobless and insuranceless because of this hernia, leaves me with little to no option in the event that I get sick enough though. I'm so very sorry for all the problems you guys and your friends/family have. It's terrible. Now I need to figure out what else I can do besides mesh, because I'll be damned it I let a surgeon install mesh. If anyone has any advice, I could really use it and in a hurry please.
There are doctors who do not use mesh, you just need to keep looking. Even the ones who use it, if they are older drs who were trained with the traditional method and you serioislu request it, they probably will repair it without a mesh, esp a smaller hernias. Call the University surgeons who are Professors. My hernia was repaired without the mesh after the mesh was removed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

PRWeb Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ronald flynn is a good man (Jul '08) 23 hr tip 2,121
News New Tip Sheet on How to Change the Payee of a D... Jun '16 choices 1
News Acadiate Releases Report on Graduate Student Em... Jun '16 chance 1
Pill-Free Migraine Relief Option Eases Pain wit... Jun '16 another 1
News How To Treat Hemorrhoids | How "H Miracle" Help... (May '13) Jun '16 alex 12
Nike Air Max 2015 Mens Jun '16 smdvida 1
News Rooms101.com Renews Focus On Vacation Layaway &... (Jun '10) Jun '16 tipwill 27
More from around the web