School locker searches useful, if used with caution

Full story: The Honolulu Advertiser

Comment on this story Nobody likes even the appearance of invading someone's privacy, which is what makes the whole debate about searching student lockers distasteful to most people.
Comments
1 - 20 of 165 Comments Last updated May 11, 2012
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
A Teacher

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Nov 4, 2007
 

Judged:

1

"While that's possible, there is certainly precedence [sic] for such searches in other school districts ...."

The word is precedent, not "precedence."

I refer the editors to "Helpful Hints for Student Authors."

http://www.uky.edu/~rst/Helpful%20Hints.pdf

"67.'Precedents' is the plural of precedent. Although they both are nouns, come from the same root (precede), and are pronounced the same way, precedents is quite different from 'precedence.' Precedence normally refers to having priority in order or importance (as in: doing my Chemistry homework must take precedence, because that is my major). Precedent refers to an event or decision that happened before the present (preceded the current event), and serves as an example or justification (as in: the decisions of the Supreme Court served as precedents for the Appeals Court's decisions). The legal phrase stare decisis, which means 'to stand by decided matters,' is another way of stating the legal doctrine of precedent."
Ron Paul

Hilo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Nov 4, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

Probable Cause is the standard set by our Bill of Rights and Constitution.

For good reason.

It is an individual right held by all Americans.

Without those protections, we are just another one party dictatorship.

I am not Ron Paul, but if you GOOGLE RON PAUL, read about RON PAUL and VOTE FOR RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT, he will deal intelligently and effectively with these problems and fight to PROTECT OUR RIGHTS AS AMERICANS.

We all see what the current laws give us, drugs, drugs and more drugs.

It's time to change.
Baffled

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Nov 4, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Schools ARE dictoatorships. My teachers told me that time and time again. Attending college was a shock for me since everyone was free to do what they wanted. Schools need structure. Students do not have the life experience to think for themselves, and are easily influenced. Ban lockers. My junior high and high school did that. We did not have issues with drugs or weapons. Students had to carry everything with them at all times, and most wouldn't dare to carry drugs on them.
Letter of the Week

Hilo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Nov 4, 2007
 
THE FOLLY OF DRUG PROHIBITION

Peter Christopher

I read with interest Ms. Lisa Kaiser's reporting on how the Milwaukee County district attorney views the pot scene in "Want Saner Marijuana Laws?" ( Oct. 18 ). Ultimate reform must come from Washington, and like most huge issues, it will one day have its day at the polls.

America is ever-so-slowly waking up to the folly of drug prohibition, especially marijuana, and may one day come to know they have been propagandized into a $42 billion a year "Blackwater" operation that is never supposed to end, complete with asset forfeiture, corruption, expanding prisons and drug testing. It tears us apart as a country and we must fix it. The internecine relationship of guns, money and drugs worldwide can only be reined in through regulation and treatment. The talking points of the drug war industrial complex are based on fear, gutter science and racism thrown in when necessary, like any war--but this one is against ourselves. I ask District Attorney John Chisholm to contact LEAP, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, www.leap.cc , and have a visit with his colleagues to discuss prohibition as law enforcement professionals and not drug war sycophants.

Peter Christopher
Robert

Kailua Kona, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Nov 4, 2007
 
I like Baffled's idea of banning lockers, it saves on having to buy them, maintain them, and I know the students are going to gripe about how heavy their bags are but then maybe they'll get a little more workout since we also have the obesity problem.

But, returning to the point I think lockers aren't private and are not a right. They are a privledge and a perk.
People might argue its violating Ammendment 4, which states:
"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures..."

Now, if a narcotics sniffing dog points its nose at a bag of pot and then points at a locker is that an unreasonable search? It will ignore the guy who has a porno mag in his locker or a copy of the Bible.
Kahuku

Makawao, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Nov 4, 2007
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Search the @#**!! lockers!!!!! This is a war on drugs, not a mama's child issue about right to privacy. Get rid of the evil ice epidemic where it starts and watch it trickle down to preventing/decreasing all other crimes. Open your eyes, kids are doing drugs in school. If you don't think it's extremely serious, you are naive beyond belief.
Trouble

Hagatna, Guam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Nov 4, 2007
 
Actually for school law it is reasonable suspicion not probably cause. As long as it affects the safety and effectiveness of the school the reasonable suspicion rule can be applied. The reason for the lower level of proof is that a greater duty of care is required for those of secondary school age or younger. Also read the fine print in the student handbooks because they usually specify the expectations of privacy such as there are none for lockers and any software brought on to the campus.
John Milton

Wayne, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 4, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

Kahuku wrote:
Search the @#**!! lockers!!!!! This is a war on drugs, not a mama's child issue about right to privacy. Get rid of the evil ice epidemic where it starts and watch it trickle down to preventing/decreasing all other crimes. Open your eyes, kids are doing drugs in school. If you don't think it's extremely serious, you are naive beyond belief.
How is ice the problem? It's probably one of the more uncommon drugs in schools right now. I doubt that even 500 kids take ice.
islandeagle

Langley, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Nov 4, 2007
 
John Milton wrote:
<quoted text>
How is ice the problem? It's probably one of the more uncommon drugs in schools right now. I doubt that even 500 kids take ice.
One is TOO MANY! These young people need to be free of others (even one person) that is getting high at school. It interupts the learning process and shows NO RESPECT for self, other students or teachers. The schools have enough challanges to the learning process with out students/teachers being stoned.
chad eagle

Ithaca, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 7, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I think their should be student locker searches be cause what if a person or a student has a gun or a weapon? What if some one has drugs. Or a bomb everybody could be in danger.
Willie

Waterford, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 7, 2007
 
Letter of the Week wrote:
THE FOLLY OF DRUG PROHIBITION
Peter Christopher
I read with interest Ms. Lisa Kaiser's reporting on how the Milwaukee County district attorney views the pot scene in "Want Saner Marijuana Laws?" ( Oct. 18 ). Ultimate reform must come from Washington, and like most huge issues, it will one day have its day at the polls.
America is ever-so-slowly waking up to the folly of drug prohibition, especially marijuana, and may one day come to know they have been propagandized into a $42 billion a year "Blackwater" operation that is never supposed to end, complete with asset forfeiture, corruption, expanding prisons and drug testing. It tears us apart as a country and we must fix it. The internecine relationship of guns, money and drugs worldwide can only be reined in through regulation and treatment. The talking points of the drug war industrial complex are based on fear, gutter science and racism thrown in when necessary, like any war--but this one is against ourselves. I ask District Attorney John Chisholm to contact LEAP, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, www.leap.cc , and have a visit with his colleagues to discuss prohibition as law enforcement professionals and not drug war sycophants.
Peter Christopher
Right. I want to go into surgury and have my doctor toke up just before grabbing the knife...and don't give me that "But alcohol is legal" tripe....sure it is and you can instantly check for use with a breathalyzer...when you come up with an instant check for pot give me a call, till then, keep it against the law.
Kelly Walter

Huntington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Nov 20, 2007
 
I think that the schools have no right going through the lockers i understand what ther teachers think but when they go through it beyond what they should thats to far!!!! Also if they have a reason to then they can but not unless they hav a reason!
Thats what i think!!!
age:14
Christian Albertson

Huntington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Nov 20, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

I disagree with the locker search but I do understand the search for guns and drugs. If i was on the school board i would suggest to put meatal detectors and police dogs to search for drugs.
Kelly Walter

Huntington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Nov 20, 2007
 
i think that u should not go through others lockers unless there is a reason. and sum people on here r wrong i think
Christian Albertson

Huntington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Nov 20, 2007
 
I disagree for the locker search but I do understand the searching for weapons and drugs. If i was on the school board or writing a leter to them i would suggest for metal detectors and police dogs for drugs.
some kid

New Britain, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Nov 26, 2007
 

Judged:

1

Kelly Walter wrote:
I think that the schools have no right going through the lockers i understand what ther teachers think but when they go through it beyond what they should thats to far!!!! Also if they have a reason to then they can but not unless they hav a reason!
Thats what i think!!!
age:14
listen kelly im age 15 i have no problem what so ever with them searching my locker, the only reason kids have problems is because they have something to hide, and to be perfectly honest why care about drugs when their are weapons to be found? why care about your new coat getting a little dirt or your make-up thing falling on the ground, would you rather be dead? i mean seriously most kids are so damn spoiled in this country it makes me freakin sick.
Toni

Gretna, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Dec 11, 2007
 

Judged:

1

I have read this article as part of reseacrh for a high school persuasive essay that I have to do. It helped a lot. I completely disgree with the motion to institute random locker searches because while it is the school's locker, they have given each student the chance to use them and store thier personal items in them.
Cat Manapua

Saint George, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Dec 11, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

Willie wrote:
<quoted text>
...when you come up with an instant check for pot give me a call, till then, keep it against the law.
Just put a pizza on the table and watch the reaction.
Paijing

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Dec 11, 2007
 

Judged:

1

ok im 15 and have to do a mock trial tomorrow for school on this topic. but i think that locker searches should be illegal.. i understand that the lockers are the schools but it has our personal belongings in them. we are all the time told by School authorities to respect each others property and not touch it, but then how come the authorities dont have to respect ours. ive seen many times a student get in trouble for simply just sitting at the teachers desk or touching something.
whats the difference? do we not have the same rights as they do?

and why is it when we enter the school building we lose all of our rights?..freedom of speech, freedom of religion,
and how come they dont have to have a search warrant, its just the same as everything else

and about them having drugs and weapons in there locker,..if they are going to have them they could just as easily have them on their person, if they are going to bring a weapon i think they would be smarter then to stick in there locker where someone could just open it up by simply going to the wrong one and see it.

all that crap is still going to happen with or without searches
Mr Roboto

Hilo, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Dec 12, 2007
 
A Teacher wrote:
"While that's possible, there is certainly precedence [sic] for such searches in other school districts ...."
The word is precedent, not "precedence."
I refer the editors to "Helpful Hints for Student Authors."
http://www.uky.edu/~rst/Helpful%20Hints.pdf
"67.'Precedents' is the plural of precedent. Although they both are nouns, come from the same root (precede), and are pronounced the same way, precedents is quite different from 'precedence.' Precedence normally refers to having priority in order or importance (as in: doing my Chemistry homework must take precedence, because that is my major). Precedent refers to an event or decision that happened before the present (preceded the current event), and serves as an example or justification (as in: the decisions of the Supreme Court served as precedents for the Appeals Court's decisions). The legal phrase stare decisis, which means 'to stand by decided matters,' is another way of stating the legal doctrine of precedent."
This is HAWAII. Check out Hawaii Laws!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••