Jilted ex-boyfriend puts up abortion billboard in Alamogordo (5:59 p.m.)

A New Mexico man's decision to lash out with a billboard ad saying his ex-girlfriend had an abortion against his wishes has touched off a legal debate over free speech and privacy rights. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Wow

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Jun 7, 2011
Nothing she can do about it. Free Speech! How it is offensive if it's the truth?
tired of it all

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jun 7, 2011
Did he also agree to end the pregnancy up to the time they split?

A lot more questions need to be asked and maybe amend what the sign says to "before we choose not to have this child"

Just wondering what the whole truth is
killers

Rio Rancho, NM

#4 Jun 7, 2011
They posts pics and names of killers all the time. Why the big deal now? Its not a medical privacy issue. She was not sick. She committed the act freely.
MichaelAlamo

Alamogordo, NM

#5 Jun 7, 2011
Someone needs to put up a sign next to this one saying "If I was legally married I would of had a choice"
cool

United States

#6 Jun 7, 2011
good for this guy i'm glad he did what he did. the lady is just an idiot why would you kill a baby, grow up and take on the responsibility or protect yourself so you dont get prego it is not that hard.

“Irony, metaphor, film @ eleven”

Since: Feb 08

Old Mesilla/New Las Cruces

#7 Jun 7, 2011
If this man was a woman, Gloria Allred would be here with bells on tomorrow morning stepping out of her private jet with a brass band and television station in tow.

This is going to be an interesting one to watch!

Don't know who Gloria Allred is? Click and learn.

http://www.google.com/search...

Since: Oct 09

Las Cruces, New Mexico

#8 Jun 7, 2011
Wow wrote:
Nothing she can do about it. Free Speech! How it is offensive if it's the truth?
First, there's an issue about whether it was the truth or not. As the article says, friends of the woman have said she had a miscarriage. I'm fortunate to have never had a miscarriage but have three (3) friends that have miscarried and it's devastating. I'm sure it only increased the young woman's pain to have him spread lies if, indeed, she miscarried.

Secondly, whether it's true or not, he's only putting up the billboard to harass her. Say you have an embarassing issue (e.g. you have a yeast infection, you have a sexually transmitted disease, you like to cross dress, you have sex with animals, whatever), would you want people putting it up on billboards for the whole town to see even if it was true?

Look at how much Americans spend on toothpaste and deodorant. Want a billboard announcing to the world that you stink? Your breath would wilt plastic flowers and your genitals' odor is so pad even dogs won't sniff?

It's nobody's business and if I put up a billboard announcing that so-and-so stinks just to cause so-and-so emotional pain, then it's a crime. Harassment is wrong. You can't go around tormenting exes with impunity.

I can see why she dumped him! And if she actually did abort the baby, well, if the father models his behavior on that of the nutcases from the Westboro Baptist Church then we don't need his genes in the gene pool.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Left in Las Cruces

Sandia Park, NM

#9 Jun 7, 2011
Even if his information is correct, and that seems like a big "if", intentional infliction of emotional distress is actionable as a civil matter. The girl friend was of no interest to the public, yet he has intentionally thrust her private life into the public arena, with no other goal than to cause her emotion harm. I hope she takes the dirt bag for all he has.

“Blah Blah Blah”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#10 Jun 7, 2011
MichaelAlamo wrote:
Someone needs to put up a sign next to this one saying "If I was legally married I would of had a choice"
The US does not recognize a mans right to choose abortion or birth for a woman - even if they are married it was her choice.

“Blah Blah Blah”

Location hidden

#11 Jun 7, 2011
If this lady did have a miscarriage, then those that know her know the truth.

If she elected to have an abortion, hey, it was her choice - why not shout it to the world?

If this guy really wanted the baby and it was aborted, then I can understand why he would put on a billboard what happened - he is speaking out for what he sees as his murdered child.

If the woman had a miscarriage and he knows that, then he is telling the world that he is an unsufferable jerk.

“Blah Blah Blah”

Location hidden

#12 Jun 7, 2011
Left in Las Cruces wrote:
Even if his information is correct, and that seems like a big "if", intentional infliction of emotional distress is actionable as a civil matter. The girl friend was of no interest to the public, yet he has intentionally thrust her private life into the public arena, with no other goal than to cause her emotion harm. I hope she takes the dirt bag for all he has.
If there was an abortion he may have been speaking out for his dead child. He may be stating this situation in a high profile manner because of his prolife beliefs, not necessarily to harm the ex girlfriend.
Mike-Dallas

United States

#14 Jun 8, 2011
Bravo for him. She may as well give it up. This is a free speech issue which was proven by our very own supreme court in the battle with Westboro Baptist Church. In these types of situations the man ALWAYS loses. If he wants it and the mother decides she doesn't want it he loses. If she decided she wants it and he doesnen't he has to be saddled with years of child support etc....sad situation. But, there are measure to prevent this, condoms or I know, no premartial sex! Anyway, he will prevail.
Mike-Dallas

United States

#15 Jun 8, 2011
killers wrote:
They posts pics and names of killers all the time. Why the big deal now? Its not a medical privacy issue. She was not sick. She committed the act freely.
I don't believe the HIPPA law would apply to you and I. I think it only applies to medical people.
Mike-Dallas

United States

#16 Jun 8, 2011
Fyre_and_Reign wrote:
<quoted text>
First, there's an issue about whether it was the truth or not. As the article says, friends of the woman have said she had a miscarriage. I'm fortunate to have never had a miscarriage but have three (3) friends that have miscarried and it's devastating. I'm sure it only increased the young woman's pain to have him spread lies if, indeed, she miscarried.
Secondly, whether it's true or not, he's only putting up the billboard to harass her. Say you have an embarassing issue (e.g. you have a yeast infection, you have a sexually transmitted disease, you like to cross dress, you have sex with animals, whatever), would you want people putting it up on billboards for the whole town to see even if it was true?
Look at how much Americans spend on toothpaste and deodorant. Want a billboard announcing to the world that you stink? Your breath would wilt plastic flowers and your genitals' odor is so pad even dogs won't sniff?
It's nobody's business and if I put up a billboard announcing that so-and-so stinks just to cause so-and-so emotional pain, then it's a crime. Harassment is wrong. You can't go around tormenting exes with impunity.
I can see why she dumped him! And if she actually did abort the baby, well, if the father models his behavior on that of the nutcases from the Westboro Baptist Church then we don't need his genes in the gene pool.
Really? Do you really believe a yeast infection, cross dressing etc...are even close to being compared to abortion? Did you write this with a stright face? Boneheaded, non thought out comments like this is whats wrong with our country.
Country Girl

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Jun 8, 2011
He did not mention a womans name, so why would she take him to court unless it struck a nerve? At 35, he has probably had more than on girlfriend.

Since: Oct 09

Las Cruces, New Mexico

#19 Jun 8, 2011
Country Girl wrote:
He did not mention a womans name, so why would she take him to court unless it struck a nerve? At 35, he has probably had more than on girlfriend.
I saw the billboard but didn't look close enough to see if her name was on it but I heard that it was on there as "the initials" of the fictitious organization that sponsored the billboard. I also heard he put on there that it was co-sponsored by the New Mexico Right to Life Organization or otherwise used their name without their permission.

As for the assumption about other girlfriends, well, if you'd met the dude then you'd know that he probably hasn't had many in his lifetime. He doesn't have a lot of social skllls.

“Beauty on four legs”

Since: Sep 06

Location hidden

#20 Jun 8, 2011
Country Girl wrote:
He did use her name when he first put it up, but someone smarter than he is warned him of the dangers of that & he changed that.
ErictheRed

Las Cruces, NM

#22 Jun 8, 2011
Left in Las Cruces wrote:
It does not look like he even named the "ex-girlfriend," so maybe this man's intentions are not to hurt his girlfriend. Maybe he is just trying to get the word out about the true pain associated with abortion. This is proof that it is not just a "woman's right." It affects a lot of people, including the would-be father, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc. Whether you agree with it morally or not, abortion has significant long-term, emotional consequences that are real, even for the mother. As a person with many friends who have had abortions, it comes back to haunt them, every one.
JjJ

Las Cruces, NM

#23 Jun 8, 2011
Can you imagine what life would have been like trying to co-parent with a nutcase like this guy?
ATCPRO

Poquoson, VA

#24 Jun 8, 2011
The question is not whether someone would like to have their personal lives exposed but if someone has the right speak about it in any venue whether it be small town gossip or a billboard. I find it hard to believe in this era of social networking where exposure of personal details are rampant that the lagality of this issue is even in question. IT IS LEGAL - LIKE IT OR NOT, it may not be a nice thing to do but it is legal.

It sounds as if the boyfriend received his information directly from the girlfriend, regardless of what her friends are saying. Unless he signed a non-disclosure agreement she has no legal right to expect him conceal the information. I have seen the billboard and the girl is NOT identified by name or picture. Therefore, her claim that this is was a personal attack is not sibstantiated beyond a reasonable doubt.

The man has the right to express his opinion on this or any other matter of which he made aware or just his personal thoughts(free speeach)- that's why we so strongly support our military, to protect such freedoms.

What about a father's right? Can he not grieve for death of his child? If the child had been born and later kidnapped, no one would protest a sign to assist in the return of the child. I have seen memorial billboards for people who have lost their family members to drunk drivers, abduction, and other circumstances and until now there has never been a question as to whether someones privacy has been invaded or accusations harrassment. So why in this case?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Privacy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jilted ex-boyfriend puts up abortion billboard (Jun '11) Feb 23 GETTAMEOUTTATHISP... 362
Police body cameras flagged by privacy commissi... Feb 18 Andy 1
ER wait times: How long will it take? Feb 18 elephantlover 1
No encryption standard raises health care priva... Feb 8 Makes Sense 7
Senators call for investigation into Verizon 's... Feb 6 tired of thinkon 2
Wall Street's reaction to Anthem data breach: h... Feb 6 One way or another 3
Agriculture the most promising market for drones (Dec '13) Jan '15 swedenforever 3
More from around the web