Senator Paul offers bill to weaken U.S. anti-tax evasion law

May 8, 2013 Full story: Reuters 47

U.S. Senator Rand Paul introduced a bill late on Tuesday that would repeal parts of a 2010 law designed to fight offshore tax evasion by Americans with assets hidden in foreign banks.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#1 May 8, 2013
The big central government is wasteful and inefficient. Washington, DC needs a haircut, they will argue for a 'transition', that is how it does 'OUT YEAR BUDGETING'
A starvation diet is unreasonable, they can take 20% out of the budget in transition to a 'Market Economy'.
If the stadium or # of employees must be cut, so be it.

“Smart@ss”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#2 May 8, 2013
RayOne wrote:
The big central government is wasteful and inefficient. Washington, DC needs a haircut, they will argue for a 'transition', that is how it does 'OUT YEAR BUDGETING'
A starvation diet is unreasonable, they can take 20% out of the budget in transition to a 'Market Economy'.
If the stadium or # of employees must be cut, so be it.
The topic at hand is a senator that is trying to weaken laws designed to catch people moving their money offshore illegally to avoid tax laws and your answer to this story is a rant on government?

Talk about apples and oranges.

“Moderately yours....”

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#3 May 8, 2013
Paul is single handedly undermining efforts to collect legitimate taxes.
His reasoning is specious.
It is ok for the Gov't to tax offshore assets but...
Gov't shouldn't be allowed obtain the information required to tax offshore assets.

Since: Feb 07

Whitman,Ma

#4 May 8, 2013
When people move money off shore, most of it never returns. Not many have been brought up on charges they moved money off shore.
bottlecap

Orlando, FL

#5 May 8, 2013
Dajokerman wrote:
<quoted text>
The topic at hand is a senator that is trying to weaken laws designed to catch people moving their money offshore illegally to avoid tax laws and your answer to this story is a rant on government?
Talk about apples and oranges.
And yet, the Bush/Obama Administrations send TRILLIONS of Dollars in SECRET LOANS to BANKS, Many Being FOREIGN Banks, without the knowledge of Congress or the American People, unless, of course, even the puppet Presidents are unaware themselves.

http://www.silverdoctors.com/gao-audit-reveal...

GAO Audit Reveals Fed Gave $16 TRILLION to TBTF Banks From 2007-2010

Citigroup:$2.5 trillion ($2,500,000,000,000)
Morgan Stanley:$2.04 trillion ($2,040,000,000,000)
Merrill Lynch:$1.949 trillion ($1,949,000,000,000)
Bank of America:$1.344 trillion ($1,344,000,000,000)
Barclays PLC (United Kingdom):$868 billion ($868,000,000,000)
Bear Sterns:$853 billion ($853,000,000,000)
Goldman Sachs:$814 billion ($814,000,000,000)
Royal Bank of Scotland (UK):$541 billion ($541,000,000,000)
JP Morgan Chase:$391 billion ($391,000,000,000)
Deutsche Bank (Germany):$354 billion ($354,000,000,000)
UBS (Switzerland):$287 billion ($287,000,000,000)
Credit Suisse (Switzerland):$262 billion ($262,000,000,000)
Lehman Brothers:$183 billion ($183,000,000,000)
Bank of Scotland (United Kingdom):$181 billion ($181,000,000,000)
BNP Paribas (France):$175 billion ($175,000,000,000)
==========
Amazing---Henry Paulson, former Sec. of the Treasury, got down on one-knee to beg Nancy Pelosi to pass TARP, estimated to cost 700 BILLION and the Federal Reserve Already had TRILLIONS in the Pipe-Line going to the Banks.

Is this the End Game of additional tax revenue?? Give the money to the INTERNATIONAL BANKSTERS???

And, to no one's surprise, the CORPORATE FASCIST MSM has deep-freezed the story.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#6 May 8, 2013
Wake up USA wrote:
When people move money off shore, most of it never returns. Not many have been brought up on charges they moved money off shore.
Wonder where Al Gore's new found 200 million is hidden?

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#7 May 8, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
Paul is single handedly undermining efforts to collect legitimate taxes.
His reasoning is specious.
It is ok for the Gov't to tax offshore assets but...
Gov't shouldn't be allowed obtain the information required to tax offshore assets.
Good for him. Until the government serves the people equally, and according to the constitution, they don't deserve a dime.
bottlecap

Orlando, FL

#8 May 8, 2013
Wake up USA wrote:
When people move money off shore, most of it never returns. Not many have been brought up on charges they moved money off shore.
What bothers me about ALL tax laws is that there seems to be selected enforcement.

Seriously:

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/1...

General Electric

PROFITS:$5 billion in U.S. profits, 2010

Amount of federal income taxes paid in 2010? Zero.

Tax REFUND:$3.3 billion tax refund.

In 2010, not only did General Electric pay no federal income taxes, it received a $3.3 billion tax refund from the IRS, even though it earned over $5 billion in U.S. profits.

Number of offshore tax havens? At least 14.

GE has at least 14 tax haven subsidiaries in Bermuda, Singapore, and Luxembourg for the purpose of avoiding U.S. income taxes.

Taxpayer Bailout from the Federal Reserve?$16 billion.

Jobs Shipped Overseas? At least 25,000 since 2001.

General Electric CEO??? Jeffrey Immelt, Obama's JOB CZAR
==========
I find it hard to believe that Laws Already on the Books were not Broken Here. And, at the very least, no 3.5 BILLION Tax Refund.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#9 May 8, 2013
bottlecap wrote:
<quoted text>
What bothers me about ALL tax laws is that there seems to be selected enforcement.
Seriously:
http://www.sanders.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/1...
General Electric
PROFITS:$5 billion in U.S. profits, 2010
Amount of federal income taxes paid in 2010? Zero.
Tax REFUND:$3.3 billion tax refund.
In 2010, not only did General Electric pay no federal income taxes, it received a $3.3 billion tax refund from the IRS, even though it earned over $5 billion in U.S. profits.
Number of offshore tax havens? At least 14.
GE has at least 14 tax haven subsidiaries in Bermuda, Singapore, and Luxembourg for the purpose of avoiding U.S. income taxes.
Taxpayer Bailout from the Federal Reserve?$16 billion.
Jobs Shipped Overseas? At least 25,000 since 2001.
General Electric CEO??? Jeffrey Immelt, Obama's JOB CZAR
==========
I find it hard to believe that Laws Already on the Books were not Broken Here. And, at the very least, no 3.5 BILLION Tax Refund.
It's the liberals way, you gotta pay to play.........their bank accounts.

“Moderately yours....”

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#10 May 8, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Good for him. Until the government serves the people equally, and according to the constitution, they don't deserve a dime.
well thought out
you are on top of your game this morning

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#11 May 8, 2013
I want my bailout.
bottlecap wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet, the Bush/Obama Administrations send TRILLIONS of Dollars in SECRET LOANS to BANKS, Many Being FOREIGN Banks, without the knowledge of Congress or the American People, unless, of course, even the puppet Presidents are unaware themselves.
http://www.silverdoctors.com/gao-audit-reveal...
GAO Audit Reveals Fed Gave $16 TRILLION to TBTF Banks From 2007-2010
Citigroup:$2.5 trillion ($2,500,000,000,000)
Morgan Stanley:$2.04 trillion ($2,040,000,000,000)
Merrill Lynch:$1.949 trillion ($1,949,000,000,000)
Bank of America:$1.344 trillion ($1,344,000,000,000)
Barclays PLC (United Kingdom):$868 billion ($868,000,000,000)
Bear Sterns:$853 billion ($853,000,000,000)
Goldman Sachs:$814 billion ($814,000,000,000)
Royal Bank of Scotland (UK):$541 billion ($541,000,000,000)
JP Morgan Chase:$391 billion ($391,000,000,000)
Deutsche Bank (Germany):$354 billion ($354,000,000,000)
UBS (Switzerland):$287 billion ($287,000,000,000)
Credit Suisse (Switzerland):$262 billion ($262,000,000,000)
Lehman Brothers:$183 billion ($183,000,000,000)
Bank of Scotland (United Kingdom):$181 billion ($181,000,000,000)
BNP Paribas (France):$175 billion ($175,000,000,000)
==========
Amazing---Henry Paulson, former Sec. of the Treasury, got down on one-knee to beg Nancy Pelosi to pass TARP, estimated to cost 700 BILLION and the Federal Reserve Already had TRILLIONS in the Pipe-Line going to the Banks.
Is this the End Game of additional tax revenue?? Give the money to the INTERNATIONAL BANKSTERS???
And, to no one's surprise, the CORPORATE FASCIST MSM has deep-freezed the story.
bottlecap

Orlando, FL

#12 May 8, 2013
RayOne wrote:
I want my bailout.
<quoted text>
Are you a member of this group???

"... the work is now much more sophisticated and prepared to march towards a world government. The supernational sovereignty of an intellectual elite and world bankers is surely preferable to the national autodetermination practiced in past centuries."

David Rockefeller [June, 1991]

You have to be either a member of the "intellectual elite" or a "world banker" or, of course, one of their underlings to get BAILED OUT.
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#13 May 8, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>It's the liberals way, you gotta pay to play.........their bank accounts.
Amnesia!!...... George Bush, the lead Conservative; Nationalized the Banks, and Automobile industry in America.
Eric Gustafson

Newport News, VA

#14 May 8, 2013
Sounds like typical Republican who want the security, comfort and privileges of being American, but none of the responsibilities of being American.
RayOne wrote:
The big central government is wasteful and inefficient. Washington, DC needs a haircut, they will argue for a 'transition', that is how it does 'OUT YEAR BUDGETING'
A starvation diet is unreasonable, they can take 20% out of the budget in transition to a 'Market Economy'.
If the stadium or # of employees must be cut, so be it.

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#15 May 8, 2013
That's because at heart, Paul is a corporatist thug and tool of the wealthy. He may talk about "freedom," but he wants you to be the wage slaves of the rich people whose water he's carrying.

Screw him.

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#16 May 8, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Good for him. Until the government serves the people equally, and according to the constitution, they don't deserve a dime.
So pookie: in your deranged opinion, eliminating penalties on the wealthy class for hiding its billions off shore "serves all the people equally?" I should get MY penalties for tax cheating eliminated, too?

You don't have a dime's worth of brainpower in that empty head of yours, boy.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#17 May 8, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amnesia!!...... George Bush, the lead Conservative; Nationalized the Banks, and Automobile industry in America.
You idiot, the Banks were nationalized by FDR and with the FDIC. You need help pookie. You're down to your last brain cell.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#18 May 8, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
So pookie: in your deranged opinion, eliminating penalties on the wealthy class for hiding its billions off shore "serves all the people equally?" I should get MY penalties for tax cheating eliminated, too?
You don't have a dime's worth of brainpower in that empty head of yours, boy.
Don't put your stupid opinions in my mouth pookie. Some low information voters like you might truly believe they are mine.
conservative crapola

Bethlehem, PA

#19 May 8, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
low infoghazi. low infoghazi. low infoghazi. rush told me.
Awk.

Since: Dec 07

Flint, TX

#20 May 8, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
Amnesia!!...... George Bush, the lead Conservative; Nationalized the Banks, and Automobile industry in America.
What??????????
Where the hell do you come up with this manure you write??
LMAO

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Privacy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Experts urge people to think about the 'digital... Dec 7 Kid_Tomorrow 1
Uber hires former IBM privacy chief to investig... Nov '14 Datsun Sunny 1
White House calls for more privacy laws (May '14) Nov '14 Rick OBrien 7
Appeals court takes on NSA surveillance case Nov '14 Reno NV 1
Apple CEO publicly acknowledges that he's gay Nov '14 Belle Sexton 6
Earthquake sensors track urban traffic, too Oct '14 rOBIN hOOD 1
NSA snooping angers France; Obama forced to def... (Oct '13) Oct '14 Swedenforever 4
More from around the web