Survey: Restaurants draw people downt...

Survey: Restaurants draw people downtown; 28 percent don't feel safe there at night

There are 6 comments on the Chambersburg Public Opinion story from Sep 12, 2012, titled Survey: Restaurants draw people downtown; 28 percent don't feel safe there at night. In it, Chambersburg Public Opinion reports that:

An online survey of more than 550 shoppers reveals that food attracts people to downtown Chambersburg, whether it's a moderately priced meal at a nice restaurant or events such as AppleFest on Oct.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chambersburg Public Opinion.

ShipUPride

United States

#1 Sep 12, 2012
I agree with most of this. Shops staying open past 5, more trendy restaurants (with liquor licenses), an outdoor entertainment area and we are off to the races. Before all of this... fix the parallel parking issue. Why they don't put angled front in parking on just one side is beyond me.
Honest American

Shippensburg, PA

#2 Sep 29, 2012
Most dont feel safe due to the excessive crime and general ghetto atmosphere. Chambersburg downtown will always have be associated with ghetto crimes because nothing has changed. Complete teardown and rebuild, this time without the scum, would be the only possible solution for change.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#3 Oct 1, 2012
Honest American wrote:
Most dont feel safe due to the excessive crime and general ghetto atmosphere. Chambersburg downtown will always have be associated with ghetto crimes because nothing has changed. Complete teardown and rebuild, this time without the scum, would be the only possible solution for change.
The way I see it, if this perception keeps people like you from coming downtown, then the friendly, hard-working restaurant and retail shopworkers downtown don't have to deal with scum like you.

28% isn't exactly a majority of people who feel unsafe. It's a select few paranoid individuals who may or may not believe the presence of minorities is all that is needed to compromise their safety.

“ONE LOVE...ONE HORSE”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#4 Oct 1, 2012
Anytime I see any trouble downtown - it seems to be menatally unstable white people shrieking Jerry Springer style - or weirdos wandering aimlessly muttering obscenities.

“ONE LOVE...ONE HORSE”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#5 Oct 1, 2012
Honest American wrote:
Long time residents know the truth.

Downtown is FAR nicer, better maitained, and more economically vital than anytime in the past 30 years.

For certain, there are still sore spots.

But the big picture has improved tremendously.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#6 Oct 1, 2012
I think part of the problem is people lump all of the downtown together. The area around the square is very nice. It's a little rough out toward Catherine St, and off the beaten path, but it's no less safe - and in my opinion, safer - than most comparably sized towns. I suspect some people in the area are so rural that downtown Chambersburg is like going to a much larger city.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opinion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Toward a kinder, gentler Islam 1 hr Three cheers 7
News Republicans need to shut down Trump's election ... 7 hr barefoot2626 87
News Shippensburg's Logan A. George set for hearing ... (Sep '13) 7 hr La la la 6
News Why I quit atheism 7 hr Eagle 12 728
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) 8 hr nextchef 8,824
News Don't Tell Me There Are No Qualified Ethiopian ... 8 hr Geletta 2
News Halton Hills mayor Bonnette: beware of scammers 9 hr real editorials vs 10
More from around the web