Atheists win a battle but may lose th...

Atheists win a battle but may lose the war

There are 18474 comments on the The Sydney Morning Herald story from Apr 5, 2010, titled Atheists win a battle but may lose the war. In it, The Sydney Morning Herald reports that:

Religion has been invigorated by those who came to bury God. One shelf of my bookcase is now groaning under the weight of its contents.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Sydney Morning Herald.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10920 Jul 8, 2010
no1special wrote:
<quoted text>
i am confused about many things. not about this. As spock might say, I fail to see your logic.
you might want to consider that from a terrorist perspective, torture and death are counter productive. The objective of a terrorist is fear. you might want to consider that in relation to the actions of the US and other world governments in the days after Sept 11, 2001.
(the terrorists won. after that day, over the following year, due to people chosing to drive to destinations rather than run the risk of flying, over 1500 Americans died needless deaths, caused by their unreasoning fear of terrorism))
terrorists, torture and fear are all emotional subjects. it is not physicaly possible in the material universe for there to be zero emotional component there. You are deceiving yourself.
Whereas I agree that terrorism requires emotional response to be effective, you **can** discuss what is terrorist actions and what is not, logically.

Logically, using the threat of permanent torture (hell) is the arguments of terrorism/of a terrorist.

This is logical, not emotional.

If christianity did not have the threat of torture/hell? The world would soon enough, no longer have ANY christians-- within a couple of generations, christianity would become as other failed experiments in religion, like Zeus or Odin worship. Sure, there would still be a few hangers-on, but it would quickly fade as a world influence.

Likewise, islam would fade away, without the threat of muslim-hell.

The bible-god is just a common terrorist; using the threat of permanent punishment to keep the idea afloat-- like some kind of religious game of hacky-sack.

That you fail to see this most obvious logic, only goes to show you are still deeply EMOTIONAL about the whole thing.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10921 Jul 8, 2010
jumper wrote:
What then shall we say to these things?If God is for us,who can be against us?
ROMANS 8:31
And that's the truth.
Well... according to your bible?

God is DEFINITELY against: for 90%(according to Revelations) get the boot-- hell.

That's a DEFINITE 'against'.

But wait! It's Worse!

Since, according to the bible, god REFUSES to do ANYTHING ABOUT satan?

But, again according to the bible, god allows satan FREE REIGN over all the earth?

That is ALSO a score against.

Face it: bible-god is evil.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10922 Jul 8, 2010
HollyRoller555 wrote:
I used to be an atheist until somebody opened my eyes to god and then i started looking for the good in life instead of the bad. I've made huge changes in my life. i went from being an evil punk that circled my life around crime to being a good person that helps the people who need it most. people that don't believe that fallowing the word of god can change anything are so very wrong. I feel sorry for the wicked and the non believers for their future is filled with darkness and emptiness. those people should change their ways before it's too late. They shouldn't change from fear of the future but because they know its right.
If you weigh the pro's and con's about the theory of evolution and god being the creator of all life. god will always win. Anyone that wants to argue about this can bring it on.
Here? We have another Lying For Jesus godbot, making up sh!t again.

Very sad.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#10923 Jul 8, 2010
no1special wrote:
intelligence does not provide immunity to viruses (memes), it provides the ability to rationalize and defend them.
Maybe in your weak mind. But I used intelligence in a better way.

You have a Christian's perspective on humanity. You see man as failed. To you, all that intelligence is useful for in the presence of a virus like Jesus 2.0 is to absorb it through rationalizing and otherwise defending the idea - religious apologetics, for example. You know what that is, don't you? That's like when you come on the Internet and carry water for the church.

I used intelligence in a better way. I used my intelligence to defeat a most vile virus. I escaped a lifetime of superstition, cowering before ghosts, and fear of eternal pain.

I'm surprised that such a concept - using intelligence to ESCAPE the bondage of religion rather than to smooth out your transition into it - never occurred to an atheist like you.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10924 Jul 8, 2010
HollyRoller555 wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you an atheist? if so what about evolution makes you believe its true?
Hey!**knocks on screen** Clueless!

Scientists do not need to BELIEVE In evolution, retard!

Evolution is true because of the FACTS.

You got a BETTER explanation that covers ALL the known facts? One that does NOT include... you know... MAGIC?

No?

Then why don't you STFU.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10925 Jul 8, 2010
HollyRoller555 wrote:
<quoted text>
So you actually believe that humans, the most intelligent and powerful creatures to ever walk the earth evolved from something that throws balls of shit at people. ha you're a joke
Hey! Screwball!

Humans are 96% chimpanzee DNA.

If I give you a sandwich made of 96% turds, and 4% ham-- will you still call it a 'ham sandwich'?

:ROFL:

Seriously retarded are the creationists.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10926 Jul 8, 2010
HollyRoller555 wrote:
You still didnt answer my question from before. what makes you believe thats true. oh, let me guess. somebody told you that right. just beacause a "smart" person or scientist says something doesnt make it right.
The FACTS support evolution-- there is NO BELIEF, here-- no need.

BELIEF is reserved for screwball notions-- you know, like Magic and sh!t.

**Exactly** like what the bible says.... magic:

"In the beginning, God used Magic, to *poof* the World into Being".

THAT sort of screwball magic.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10927 Jul 8, 2010
HollyRoller555 wrote:
I feel sorry for those so weak as to give their lives over to a higher power - willing slaves.
oh and isnt that what you do every day. that higher power is the government. you are a slave to it.
To be a christian? Is to give in to terrorism.

For who would still BE a christian, if it were not for the terrorist-threat of HELL?

Indeed-- almost no one would be.

Without hell, christianity would fade away within a generation or three.

THAT is slavery.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10928 Jul 8, 2010
HollyRoller555 wrote:
by the way if i am wrong about what i believe in nothing will happen to me. if you're wrong you're soul will perish in the fires of hell. who's gonna have a happier ending. me or you
See?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10929 Jul 8, 2010
HollyRoller555 wrote:
i'm a slave to know one or thing. You're a slave to reality.
You are a mind-slave to the accidental religion of your parents.

And nothing more significant than that-- if you'd been born in the Middle East? You'd be a zealot-muslim, contemplating what to blow up next.
HollyRoller555 wrote:
everything you know is based on what someone told you. Correct?
False-- nearly 100% false, in fact.
HollyRoller555 wrote:
lets talk about the first beings. who told them how to survive.
What "first beings", retard? Be specific, here-- WHAT SORT of "beings"?

It appears the first life on earth was single-celled-- it survived because it did-- that is quite simple. Those cells that did not "know" how to survive? Did not.

Factor in 3 billion years and viola! You have life that survives.
HollyRoller555 wrote:
how did they know what to eat and what not to eat or if they had to eat at all and if that thing ate or did something and died from it who or what went on to tell others not to do that?
They "ate" sulfur compounds-- probabily at the bottom of the ocean, near a volcanic vent.

You are seriously IGNORANT-- what else, from a lying godbot?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10930 Jul 8, 2010
HollyRoller555 wrote:
what are you a comedian? i hope god takes away everything you love. you will suffer for you ignorance.
Here? The godbot LIES: he equates TORTURE with love!

Wow.

That's sick, godbot-- even for a godbot!

Fennario

#10931 Jul 8, 2010
no1special wrote:
another 5 seconds
I am still an atheist, and you are still a bigot.
No, dude. I'M an atheist. You're a wannabe, a pretender. And a blowhard.

Hey! Where's my balloon bunny?
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/6/18/6338... [loser clown]

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10932 Jul 8, 2010
HollyRoller555 wrote:
you missed one part. how did they know to eat?
another thing. animals aren't just born. nothing just appears. your thinking up things to avoid answering the real question. the fact is the answer is right in front of your face. you've just got you're head stuck so far up realities ass that you don't realize it.
Here, the godbot has FAILED to sell his godbottery: no one is buying his sh!t.

And he grows desperate to close the deal-- not understanding he did not have a chance in.... hell.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#10933 Jul 8, 2010
HollyRoller555 wrote:
if you've about any biblical prophesies you that god has shunned the human race for their wickedness.
No bible "prophesy" is real-- none. All are false, written AFTER the supposed "prophesy" took place-- that is history, not 'prophesy'.
HollyRoller555 wrote:
maybe he has lost faith in mankind because people like you have lost faith and him so has decided to leave us wondering in the world of the unknown.
maybe you're children have lived great lives because they have chosen to live with out evil.
Or? Maybe your evil terrorist-god is simply fiction?

For if your bible-god were REAL?

Clearly, from the bible-- he would've wiped out humans long, long ago.

For the bible says it's god has a NASTY temper-- apt to fly off into fits of jealous rage for... anything.

Jealousy is not a trait you want to see in a god.

Fennario

#10934 Jul 8, 2010
no1special wrote:
<quoted text>
neuroscience has demonstrated that one of the major psiological (sp?) differences in autistic brains is a dearth of connections from the limbic system to the neocotex - the autistic person is not able to incorporate a theory of mind into their conscious awareness.
and as with any mental condition,there is a wide spectrum of autism. I am aware of this and was not implying that all people with autism were alike in their disability or degree of affectedness, save that they all have autism.
No references. That makes this your opinion (unsubtantiated claim or allegation), which makes it what?

Yawn.[detete]

Fennario

#10935 Jul 8, 2010
no1special wrote:
<quoted text>
neuroscience has demonstrated that one of the major psiological (sp?) differences in autistic brains is ...
"psiological "

I presume that this abortion was supposed to be physiological or psychological. You couldn't decide, so you used both in one.

Dude. You are an imposteur, a poseur. It is unfathomable that anybody would pass himself off as knowledgeable able in the brain-mind problem and the philosophy (run away!) of consciousness and mind, and yet not know those words or be even casually familiar with them.

Fennario

#10936 Jul 8, 2010
no1special wrote:
<quoted text>
the little that I have read indicates it is increasing. the idea that we are only seeing an increase because of better disgnosis is speculative. With a lack of clear data, and a firm understanding of the condition and its cause(s), the field is open to strongly held opinions.
Do you give credit to the research showing that vaccines are not the culprit, or the smoking gun?
The basic science behind those studies seems to be sound, but it may contain some presumptions tht undermine the results. I remain suspicious of mercury (as it has known developnmental effects on the structure of the brain), but I cannot eaasily reject the research.
When and where was the research done*? If it was the U.S. and in the last decade, you're a fool to trust it.

Perhaps you're not aware that the FDA abetted Merck in its cover-up of the known cardiotoxic effects of Vioxx for several years

"The record indicates that the actions of both Merck and the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) contributed to the nearly 30,000 excess cases of heart attacks and sudden cardiac deaths that resulted from the use of the drug between 1999 and 2003. While Merck sought to cover up the danger of its own drug to protect its bottom line, the US government aided the company by approving sale of the drug without conducting any serious investigation into potential harmful consequences of its use."
http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/nov2004/vio...

BTW, THAT'S also a betrayal, and in my opinion, by itself, voids the social contract. If my wife did that to me - hid articles in the house that would have warned me against the dangers of something that I was actually doing, and it caused harm - I would divorce her in a New York minute. If an employer did that to me, I would sue him and find a new job. But you wave flags. You need to learn better who your friends are and whom not to trust.

Vaccines are big, big business. The FDA demonstrated evidence of corruption, and I haven't read about any sweeping revisions in the way business is done there or the ways that Big Pharma accesses it.

So now what to do? First there was data implicating thiomersal, then that data was countered with contradictory data.

Sure, it might be good science. And a guy who only lies only half the time MIGHT be telling the truth this time.

What are you to do? Guess. But wouldn't it be nice not to have to do that?

But I'm comforted that you think that the data looks legit. LOL.

*[Childhood vaccines were not relevant to my practice or my personal life, so I never looked at the original data.]

Fennario

#10937 Jul 8, 2010
just asking wrote:
<quoted text>Yes dear, your break downs are becoming more frequent i see thru your posts, you have my prayers that the demons will let go of your soul and you will find salvation! Just remember to keep your eyes on the "SON"!
Hey, Sibyl. Do you ever use a sock twice?

“Leave That Thing Alone!”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#10938 Jul 8, 2010
appleboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever heard of Oconto Falls? It's about 50 miles from Green Bay.
And oh, GO PACKERS!!!
Yes, I'm familiar with Oconto Falls. Mostly just passing through on my way north and for work. The company I work for makes machinery for the paper industry so I've been to the BPM mill a couple of times. Nice area. I live in Appleton and work in Green Bay. GO PACK GO!

Fennario

#10939 Jul 8, 2010
no1special wrote:
you are still a bigot, and I am still an atheist.
No, you are still the blowhard apologist poseur, and NotBuyingIt is still the atheist.

Why are so many apologists for religion antipathetic toward philosophy, which means the love of wisdom, and/or science, which means knowledge?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opinion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 23 min RiccardoFire 5,947
News In Beto O'Rourke Texas Democrats find their Bae-to 1 hr No doubt 1
News Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult? (Oct '07) 3 hr Steven Spencer 8,597
News Scientific Inquiry - Not Opinion - Should Trium... 4 hr Paul Scott 1
News Candidates' home ward is not vital to election (Oct '10) 6 hr same goes on here 10
News Does the Bible Claim That Jesus Is God? 8 hr True Christian wi... 2
News Pit bull ban: Ban pit bulls - they don't belong... (Jun '09) 11 hr Love my pitties 1,039
More from around the web