Sex and Consequences

Sex and Consequences

There are 33 comments on the Town Hall story from Jan 10, 2007, titled Sex and Consequences. In it, Town Hall reports that:

On college campuses, counselors are seeing double the number of depression cases and triple the number of suicidal students.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Town Hall.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hmmm

Moscow, Russia

#1 Jan 11, 2007
Hm....
thes_phil

Philippines

#2 Jan 11, 2007
no comment!!!
sonia

United States

#3 Jan 11, 2007
filthy propaganda.

Since: Dec 06

Saskatoon, Canada

#4 Jan 11, 2007
sonia wrote:
filthy propaganda.
Fo shizzle...right on the money...where the hell did they get the statistic 90% of americans believe in god! And what god for that matter!

I think...If anything these increased rates of suicidal tendencies and depression, are part and parcel of a society which devalues academic accomplishment, or shall I say knowledge aquisition, and thats bent on competition. People are getting more depressed because they are realizing the futility of their academic pursuits in achieving the contention and reward promised by academia, universities are simply selling quirk and quark knowledge, and unraveling the mystery, thinking creatively, and knowledge for its own sake has been reduced to being economically inviable.

AOL

#5 Jan 11, 2007
Nathan Machan wrote:
<quoted text>
Fo shizzle...right on the money...where the hell did they get the statistic 90% of americans believe in god! And what god for that matter!
I think...If anything these increased rates of suicidal tendencies and depression, are part and parcel of a society which devalues academic accomplishment, or shall I say knowledge aquisition, and thats bent on competition. People are getting more depressed because they are realizing the futility of their academic pursuits in achieving the contention and reward promised by academia, universities are simply selling quirk and quark knowledge, and unraveling the mystery, thinking creatively, and knowledge for its own sake has been reduced to being economically inviable.
True. I think, also, there is a certain debasement in the casual encounters that people take while away at school. While it's true that academia without a sense of larger purpose is depressing, so is sex without love. The after effects of these acts, expecially for women, are best not ignored. There are, in my opinion, valuable pychological benefits to applying moral principles to one's life.

In general, applying moral principles to one's life sets protective boundaries against emotional, psychological, and bodily harm; and give one a sense of pride and esteem. Without moral principles, people become depressed. Moral principles fly out the window on campus.

“guess who Lois?”

A little hole in the wall.

#6 Jan 11, 2007
Nathan Machan wrote:
<quoted text>
WOW!!!

That was amouthful.

ANd what does this have to do with sex?(See the picture .. I think EVERYTHING has to do with sex)....

“guess who Lois?”

A little hole in the wall.

#7 Jan 11, 2007
Amber B wrote:
<quoted text>
True. I think, also, there is a certain debasement in the casual encounters that people take while away at school. While it's true that academia without a sense of larger purpose is depressing, so is sex without love. The after effects of these acts, expecially for women, are best not ignored. There are, in my opinion, valuable pychological benefits to applying moral principles to one's life.
In general, applying moral principles to one's life sets protective boundaries against emotional, psychological, and bodily harm; and give one a sense of pride and esteem. Without moral principles, people become depressed. Moral principles fly out the window on campus.
Excuse me ...

would you like to borrow my picture? I think it is more apt for you than for me ....

AOL

#8 Jan 11, 2007
franko wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me ...
would you like to borrow my picture? I think it is more apt for you than for me ....
Sure would ;-)

AOL

#9 Jan 11, 2007
It has also been proven that women secrete a hormone called oxytocin during sex, which binds her emotionally to the one she had sex with.

From this point, casual sex has been proven to have emotional consequences for women.
franko

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#10 Jan 11, 2007
Amber B wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure would ;-)
I see in your profile that yuo are very interested in psychology.

I was thinking of starting a thread that talked about issues in relatoinships and what it takes to have succesful relationships. GOing beyond just sexual issues.

WOUld you be interested in participtating?
hmmm

Moscow, Russia

#11 Jan 11, 2007
Great!

AOL

#12 Jan 13, 2007
franko wrote:
<quoted text>
I see in your profile that yuo are very interested in psychology.
I was thinking of starting a thread that talked about issues in relatoinships and what it takes to have succesful relationships. GOing beyond just sexual issues.
WOUld you be interested in participtating?
Sure, Franko. That sounds nice.:-)
franko

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#13 Jan 13, 2007
Amber B wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, Franko. That sounds nice.:-)
OK. I'm reading a book right now and I will take excerpts from it to raise various points.

I am rushed right now so I will leave it until tonight or tomorrow.

“Beauty on four legs”

Since: Sep 06

Location hidden

#14 Jan 13, 2007
Amber B wrote:
It has also been proven that women secrete a hormone called oxytocin during sex, which binds her emotionally to the one she had sex with.
From this point, casual sex has been proven to have emotional consequences for women.
An Eric Keroack fan? More info on this fellow and his agenda at :
http://www.slate.com/id/2154249/...

He & his oxytocin idea have been thoroughly debunked many times. From the above article:

In Keroack's own lectures and writing, he also makes claims designed to scare the bejesus out of kids to convince them to remain abstinent. One pet theory involves the neuropeptide oxytocin, which plays a role in mother-child bonding and social affiliation. Keroack claims that that people who engage in premarital sex experience chronic emotional pain, which lowers their oxytocin levels. This in turn impairs their ability to form healthy relationships down the road. "People who have misused their sexual faculty and become bonded to multiple persons will diminish the power of oxytocin to maintain a permanent bond with an individual," he writes.

Keroack's cites research on oxytocin levels in animals like prairie voles. There are obvious problems in extrapolating from voles to humans, whose brains are much more complex. A handful of human studies show a role for oxytocin in promoting sociability. But there are inconsistencies. One study found that lactating women who had higher plasma levels of oxytocin reported being more sociable. But two others found that women with higher oxytocin levels reported higher relationship distress—precisely the opposite of Keroack's claim. More crucially, there are no data to suggest a causal link between oxytocin levels and marital happiness—or between any of this and premarital sex. Keroack's claim is simply "not borne out by the current evidence," says Jennifer Bartz of Mount Sinai School of Medicine, author of an excellent review article. To be less polite, this is a guy who takes a neuropeptide and a prairie vole and spins from them science fiction.

I wonder if a good course in critical thinking or research might be helpful.

AOL

#15 Jan 13, 2007
pbfa wrote:
<quoted text>
An Eric Keroack fan? More info on this fellow and his agenda at :
http://www.slate.com/id/2154249/...
He & his oxytocin idea have been thoroughly debunked many times. From the above article:
In Keroack's own lectures and writing, he also makes claims designed to scare the bejesus out of kids to convince them to remain abstinent. One pet theory involves the neuropeptide oxytocin, which plays a role in mother-child bonding and social affiliation. Keroack claims that that people who engage in premarital sex experience chronic emotional pain, which lowers their oxytocin levels. This in turn impairs their ability to form healthy relationships down the road. "People who have misused their sexual faculty and become bonded to multiple persons will diminish the power of oxytocin to maintain a permanent bond with an individual," he writes.
Keroack's cites research on oxytocin levels in animals like prairie voles. There are obvious problems in extrapolating from voles to humans, whose brains are much more complex. A handful of human studies show a role for oxytocin in promoting sociability. But there are inconsistencies. One study found that lactating women who had higher plasma levels of oxytocin reported being more sociable. But two others found that women with higher oxytocin levels reported higher relationship distress—precisely the opposite of Keroack's claim. More crucially, there are no data to suggest a causal link between oxytocin levels and marital happiness—or between any of this and premarital sex. Keroack's claim is simply "not borne out by the current evidence," says Jennifer Bartz of Mount Sinai School of Medicine, author of an excellent review article. To be less polite, this is a guy who takes a neuropeptide and a prairie vole and spins from them science fiction.
I wonder if a good course in critical thinking or research might be helpful.
How did the casual sex do you?

“Beauty on four legs”

Location hidden

#16 Jan 13, 2007
Amber B wrote:
<quoted text>
How did the casual sex do you?
So, let me get this straight:
1. You post some nonsense about oxytocin, evidently culled from someone like Keroake or soemone equally disreputable.
2. I point out that it's nonsense, and cite more information to confirm my opinion.
3. You come back with a personal & inappropriate jibe.

Yep, critical thinking training is in order here. It's an emergency, I'm afraid.

“Beauty on four legs”

Location hidden

#17 Jan 13, 2007
*someone*

AOL

#18 Jan 13, 2007
pbfa wrote:
<quoted text>
So, let me get this straight:
1. You post some nonsense about oxytocin, evidently culled from someone like Keroake or soemone equally disreputable.
2. I point out that it's nonsense, and cite more information to confirm my opinion.
3. You come back with a personal & inappropriate jibe.
Yep, critical thinking training is in order here. It's an emergency, I'm afraid.
You're the one that made it personal.

“Beauty on four legs”

Location hidden

#19 Jan 13, 2007
So you respond with a sexual slur because I suggest you need help with critical thinking? No response to substance, just pouting.
franko

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#20 Jan 13, 2007
I have not studied the field of hormonal side effects very much but I did read an article last summer that discussed this in general terms of "where is this feild of medicine leading to?".

It concluded that the effects of most hormones are not fully understood, and that the mix of several hormones, which are usually present at the same time, can make it very difficult to isolate the influences of anyone hormone.

Add to that real life events and the different ways people react emotionaly, which brings even more homrones into the picture.

SO, for the most part, any conclusions anyone is reaching seem to be "best guesses" in many cases.

There is the concept that a man or woman should, through their own intellect, be able to rise above the petty underlying influences of hormones and act in a normal rational manner regardless of how hormones are acting undereneath.

However, we all know that there are things that influence our behaviour without us even knowing why it is happening or often we don't even realize we are acting a certain way, even when someone tells us.(There are women who deny they get cranky when they have PMS, for exmaple. WE men know differently.. SHudder....)

NAgging little things that we can't explain why we are particularily emotional, or cranky, or whatever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opinion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 10 min Belle Sexton 34,068
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? 18 min Knowledge- 158
News Eternal Shame to 'America,' Germany and Europe 23 min Cassandra_ 370
News Don't forget about the candidates; 2016 is comi... 3 hr serfs up 4
News Trump and the GOP Border War 5 hr wild child 1
Finding Heretics using Moses bible stories. 6 hr steve 3
News Vaccination reversal shows Gov. Browna s pragma... 8 hr r_christian_AR 1
More from around the web