Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31862 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

No Way

Piqua, OH

#22259 Oct 4, 2012
Mo money wrote:
<quoted text>So why did the board majority goon go after just SYB? Is he banging the drum against the other groups? Surely they have good amounts of cash that they can go after.
Mo money projects an attitude of SYB "No Respect" for our kids and our parents in this school district; but Why is there No Respect even after the SYB was granted a five-year contract getting everything their way?

No Way did any one of the five Springboro Board of Education representatives "just go after SYB." Where is the respect?
SYB should stop "banging the drum" that they are "not as greedy as others" so why should board members ask SYB questions?
Missing the Point

Miamisburg, OH

#22260 Oct 4, 2012
No Way wrote:
<quoted text>
Mo money projects an attitude of SYB "No Respect" for our kids and our parents in this school district; but Why is there No Respect even after the SYB was granted a five-year contract getting everything their way?
No Way did any one of the five Springboro Board of Education representatives "just go after SYB." Where is the respect?
SYB should stop "banging the drum" that they are "not as greedy as others" so why should board members ask SYB questions?
I think you are missing the point. I disagree that SYB is showing no respect for the schools or BOE as you suggest but very clearly the team of Rigano and Petroni - at the persistent urging of Doug Weideman - did target SYB and start the public accusations and audit process. I believe that the groups could have worked out a similar deal without all the public acrimony. But I agree with Mo Money - are we sure every other group has also been looked at and talked to about paying fees going forward?
No Way

Piqua, OH

#22261 Oct 4, 2012
rigano is right wrote:
<quoted text>
Dig a litter deeper is right. Kohls Kull & Miller voted to grab the moola because their past counterparts were either paid off or were indifferent. In essence this vote has forced the board (all 5 members) to be equally accountable in billing each and every "outside" group that uses this district's facilities.
Will this money-grab vote come back to bite the board in the haunches?
You betcha! Sooner than later.
There's just No Way that you can pull us into your disrespectful web of deceit and lies by "suggesting" that Kohls, Kull & Miller are "money-grabbers!"
It is already established that Don Miller is one of the "indifferent" board members who in the past allowed the Baker-Long/SYB working relationship to go wrong in the first place; but
why are you "doubting" that this new working relationship with SYB will "come back to bite the board?"
It's is just irresponsible to plant this "doubt" under the pretense that you "know something" that the rest of us don't know; but you are too "pious" to spit it out; so we'll just have to wait and see?
No Way

Piqua, OH

#22262 Oct 4, 2012
Missing the Point wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are missing the point. I disagree that SYB is showing no respect for the schools or BOE as you suggest but very clearly the team of Rigano and Petroni - at the persistent urging of Doug Weideman - did target SYB and start the public accusations and audit process. I believe that the groups could have worked out a similar deal without all the public acrimony. But I agree with Mo Money - are we sure every other group has also been looked at and talked to about paying fees going forward?
No Way I am missing the "point" of the Way I see it;
The SYB showing no respect is a FACT proven to me by evidence of the SYB performing for the TV camera. Your opinion is just that you disagree with the Facts; but it doesn't change the facts that are proven. You and I believe differently.
You See, I believe the former superintendent, Mr. Lolli, and the high school principal, Mr. Malone, COULD have worked out their employment "deal" of resentment and grievance WITHOUT all the public acrimony; instead of joining with former school board candidate Lisa Babb; and calling in the TV cameras and grandstanding in a student-led protest disrespecting school district authority, falsing accusing board members of making decisions that "hurt our kids." You'll remember that Mr. Malone was offered a "promotion" which would utilize Mr. Malone's 40 years of expertise for "our children's future." But Mr. Malone said No to our children's future and returned to status quo business as usual. And that's a proven fact.
Better Watch Out

Piqua, OH

#22263 Oct 4, 2012
No Way wrote:
<quoted text>
No Way I am missing the "point" of the Way I see it;
The SYB showing no respect is a FACT proven to me by evidence of the SYB performing for the TV camera. Your opinion is just that you disagree with the Facts; but it doesn't change the facts that are proven. You and I believe differently.
You See, I believe the former superintendent, Mr. Lolli, and the high school principal, Mr. Malone, COULD have worked out their employment "deal" of resentment and grievance WITHOUT all the public acrimony; instead of joining with former school board candidate Lisa Babb; and calling in the TV cameras and grandstanding in a student-led protest disrespecting school district authority, falsing accusing board members of making decisions that "hurt our kids." You'll remember that Mr. Malone was offered a "promotion" which would utilize Mr. Malone's 40 years of expertise for "our children's future." But Mr. Malone said No to our children's future and returned to status quo business as usual. And that's a proven fact.
I believe the new superintendent is now "teamed" up with the
Malone/Babb union teachers first coalition against our new children first budgeting philosophy. New name District Parent Council but same old "game" of maney-act politics of personal distruction trying to discredit and distract board members from putting our children's future first.
Better Watch Out

Piqua, OH

#22264 Oct 4, 2012
Keep Watching this District Parent Council 2012-13

"Moving FORWARD Together"

Policy #9140 Citizens Advisory Committees

Council Purpose:
-Create clear lines of communication between parents and district level administration.
-Provides input on relevant issues/problems confronting the school district.
-Serves as a communication link between the council and the Springboro community
Assists district level administration in Mission, Vision, and goal setting for all Springboro Schools
-Provides input as it pertains to district curriculum, business operations, and community communications.

Council Meeting Dates:

September 25, 2012
October 30, 2012
November 27, 2012
January 29, 2013
February 26, 2013
March 19, 2013
April 30, 2013

Council Members:
CE Amy Walker, Jenny Nijak
FP Kirsten Allen, Kirsten Black
DE Rochael Swavey, Christine Kennedy
SI Lisa Babb, Debbie Frank
JH Jennifer Kemper, Kim Crosen
HS Tiffany Carlisle, Sarah Jobe
citizen kane

Dayton, OH

#22266 Oct 4, 2012
Better Watch Out wrote:
Council Purpose:
-Create clear lines of communication between parents and district level administration.
-Serves as a communication link between the council and the Springboro community
Assists district level administration in Mission, Vision, and goal setting for all Springboro Schools
-Provides input as it pertains to district curriculum, business operations, and community communications.
Council Meeting Dates:
September 25, 2012
October 30, 2012
November 27, 2012
January 29, 2013
February 26, 2013
March 19, 2013
April 30, 2013
Council Members:
some of those on that list are scary...especally the bottom line.
Question

Youngstown, OH

#22267 Oct 4, 2012
Better Watch Out wrote:
Council Purpose:
Council Meeting Dates:
September 25, 2012
October 30, 2012
November 27, 2012
January 29, 2013
February 26, 2013
March 19, 2013
April 30, 2013
Council Members:
Thanks for posting Mr. Petroni!
Boro Boo Boo

Piqua, OH

#22268 Oct 4, 2012
citizen kane wrote:
<quoted text>
some of those on that list are scary...especally the bottom line.
These levy ladies have been on "insider" Todd Petrey like flies on a jelly bread at the school picnic. It's the silly season for "trick or treat" but David Baker already fooled us once with his selective "advisory committee" of teachers union activists protesting union rights first with our school tax dollars leaving our children left behind.
And now Todd Petrey going down the same old Baker status quo
business as usual....? well, we can't be fooled again.
Boro Boo Boo

Piqua, OH

#22269 Oct 4, 2012
Better Watch Out wrote:
Council Purpose:
Council Meeting Dates:
September 25, 2012
October 30, 2012
November 27, 2012
January 29, 2013
February 26, 2013
March 19, 2013
April 30, 2013
Council Members:
It's the silly season of politics! The Maney Acts are back!
skeletons

Germantown, OH

#22270 Oct 4, 2012
No Way wrote:
<quoted text>
There's just No Way that you can pull us into your disrespectful web of deceit and lies by "suggesting" that Kohls, Kull & Miller are "money-grabbers!"
It is already established that Don Miller is one of the "indifferent" board members who in the past allowed the Baker-Long/SYB working relationship to go wrong in the first place; but
why are you "doubting" that this new working relationship with SYB will "come back to bite the board?"
It's is just irresponsible to plant this "doubt" under the pretense that you "know something" that the rest of us don't know; but you are too "pious" to spit it out; so we'll just have to wait and see?
Absolutely without a doubt Supt. Todd Petrey is doing a lot of great things for this district. However there's a lingering stench of skunk still in that board room from Tuesday night. Todd Petrey was all about the board voting to pass SYB's 50K donation proposal. Even more noticeably, Todd Petrey was all about the board voting to pass SYB's donation proposal AT THE LAST BOARD MEETING.

Why?
)-:

Up until relatively recently SYB has maintained scant record of gym time used throughout this district over approximately the last 3 years. However accurate records were not kept by SYB in terms of athlete attendence per day, per week, etc. When SYB met with the district they calculated gym usage time over that fairly broad span of time by the use of estimation. By using estimation both SYB and the district risk a certain margin of error in calculation. The donation figure of $50K didn't pop out of a cracker jack box. It became a compromise between SYB and Petrey. This whole circumstance is hardly what any accountant might call legit. Yeah, sure Miller & Kohls the district has $50,000 it didn't have before. Pay no attention to that pile of chips left scattered in the middle of the table.

From any accountant's perspective the acceptance of under researched sums of money can lead to problems in the future if a skeleton were to fall out of SYB's closet. Rigano and Petroni are correct in that SYB should not be able to tie self-serving strings to "5 year deals". All this does is open the door for other organizations (sports / non-sports) to use SYB's 5 year committment (a.k.a "deal") with the district as a precedent for negotiating whatever custom arrangement they may desire.
Hold On

Cincinnati, OH

#22271 Oct 4, 2012
skeletons wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely without a doubt Supt. Todd Petrey is doing a lot of great things for this district. However there's a lingering stench of skunk still in that board room from Tuesday night. Todd Petrey was all about the board voting to pass SYB's 50K donation proposal. Even more noticeably, Todd Petrey was all about the board voting to pass SYB's donation proposal AT THE LAST BOARD MEETING.

Why?
)-:

Up until relatively recently SYB has maintained scant record of gym time used throughout this district over approximately the last 3 years. However accurate records were not kept by SYB in terms of athlete attendence per day, per week, etc. When SYB met with the district they calculated gym usage time over that fairly broad span of time by the use of estimation. By using estimation both SYB and the district risk a certain margin of error in calculation. The donation figure of $50K didn't pop out of a cracker jack box. It became a compromise between SYB and Petrey. This whole circumstance is hardly what any accountant might call legit. Yeah, sure Miller & Kohls the district has $50,000 it didn't have before. Pay no attention to that pile of chips left scattered in the middle of the table.

From any accountant's perspective the acceptance of under researched sums of money can lead to problems in the future if a skeleton were to fall out of SYB's closet. Rigano and Petroni are correct in that SYB should not be able to tie self-serving strings to "5 year deals". All this does is open the door for other organizations (sports / non-sports) to use SYB's 5 year committment (a.k.a "deal") with the district as a precedent for negotiating whatever custom arrangement they may desire.
Oh my gosh. Move on! It's over! Shut up about SYB.
inquiring minds

Germantown, OH

#22272 Oct 5, 2012
Hold On wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm...Could "Hold On" have been a beneficiary of these missing years of SYB gym fees? Inquiring minds want to know!
Batter Up

Piqua, OH

#22273 Oct 5, 2012
Hold On wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean "it's time for us all to just get along and Move Forward Together" submitting to Petrey-Madden/SYB beating us down doing business as usual; just like Baker/Lolli/Long did during their employment in our school district? Not a Chance.
Doing what's right for our school children and community as a whole is a "lifestyle" journey, not a destination ending with a "deal for five years."
Nothing is "over."
Hold On

Cincinnati, OH

#22274 Oct 5, 2012
inquiring minds wrote:
<quoted text>Hmm...Could "Hold On" have been a beneficiary of these missing years of SYB gym fees? Inquiring minds want to know!
Oh ok, Inquiring Mind! You got me! You have it all figured out.
New subject

Toledo, OH

#22275 Oct 5, 2012
It's time for a new subject for all to enjoy. Who wants to chime in on the budget deficit facing our sports program that the board will be bringing up in the next few meetings?
the levy intermission

Germantown, OH

#22276 Oct 5, 2012
New subject wrote:
It's time for a new subject for all to enjoy. Who wants to chime in on the budget deficit facing our sports program that the board will be bringing up in the next few meetings?
OMG! You say there's a mounting budget deficit in the district's sports program?
Think outside the box for a minute. How much less of a chance does this sports program deficit have of developing now, if this board's predecessors had been on the ball collecting revenue from SYB (etc) just like they were SUPPOSED TO BE doing?!?
Sports budget deficit

Lebanon, OH

#22277 Oct 5, 2012
Where does all the revenue from the Panther Store go? I know they have to pay for stock to sell, but are the people working there volunteers? What do the Boosters have to say about that? The store is open year round and seems to have a fairly steady business. They take credit cards, and must have a bank account. Has anyone ever seen any records? That seems to be a profitable area for fundraising. If the school isn't getting any money from the Boosters for the Fan Store, maybe they should put it into the school in place of the Panther Express and stop selling fats and carbs to the kids and sell tee shirts and sweats instead. Or, have another group take it over. One that can manage it properly and show a profit.
Sports budget deficit

Lebanon, OH

#22278 Oct 5, 2012
When they went back to estimate the SYB debt for non payment, where on the fee schedule did they look? They were not a non profit, and per the IRS, are still not one today. Were they estimating at the non profit rate, or at the for profit rate? And why did they get an even better rate than a non profit, and get sole use of the facilities for a discount, without having their 501 C 3 in place?
I am really disappointed in Kelly Kohls for this one. Keeping things moving along is important, but you don't have to vote yes to move along a Board Meeting. You can table the issue until the next meeting. Not having an agreement in place for SYB for one more week would not have had life or death consequences.
Down in the Boro

Piqua, OH

#22279 Oct 5, 2012
New subject wrote:
Didn't steff plead it best to petrey at the last board meeting? declaring that now for the first time ever her child was proud to wear boro spirit wear to class on Friday, all because of SYB.
Remember that same old stuff during past levy season when Springboro teacher stood up in public board meeting, testifying she was ashamed to wear boro spirit wear, because voters would not pass a school levy for increased union wages and benefits?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opinion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 43 min Suculent-dry 33,917
News Canada's history 'warts and all' 46 min Brain Baloney 4
News 'Diddy' won't face felony assault charges 53 min Schnooki 1
News Thom McCombs: Islamic and Jewish states 1 hr ROBYN BANKS WORLD... 10
News 'Obey God, not Man' Starnes: Southern Baptists ... 1 hr Redeemed 94
News Turkey has no choice but to accept a Syrian Kur... 2 hr Rockstar 5
News Our Opinion: Congressional delegation influence... 2 hr Stay in Washington 5
More from around the web