Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,562

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
You just dont get it

Cincinnati, OH

#22075 Sep 23, 2012
Burning Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Burning Question Now is NOT "who waived the fees."
Our former school administrators Baker/Lolli/Long waived the fees; but did not put the waiver in writing.
Now it appears that Long threw our kids under the bus again by making a deal on the Wade field project "waiving all useage fees" for fifteen years in favor of a one time donation.
The SYB official on the board meeting TV broadcast sounds like that's the kind of sweet deal he wants to "cook up" with our current superintendent. Isn't that what all his arguments are--that the SYB should be allowed to give "an offering" here and there in exchange for the superintendient's waiver of the facilities use fees?
Now the burning question is: Will our current superintendent, Mr. Todd Petrey, choose to waive the fees (no doubt in written form this time in compliance with board policy 7310) and continue doing business as usual with the self-interest Springboro Youth Basketball association; OR ...
Will Mr. Petrey make his decision in the best interest of our school children and community taxpayers?... and move forward by charging fees to all outside organizations that use our taxpayers-funded public school facilities on Saturdays, and all times other than our regularly scheduled hours during school days.
Mr. Petrey will be making NO decision. How ignorant are you? He will do as the board tells him, its in his contract.
Observer

Lebanon, OH

#22076 Sep 23, 2012
You just dont get it wrote:
<quoted text>Mr. Petrey will be making NO decision. How ignorant are you? He will do as the board tells him, its in his contract.
Or on the other hand, he could have a mind of his own and knows what is right. And it sounds like he doesn't enjoy being blatantly scammed.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#22077 Sep 23, 2012
A rough calculation of the fee schedule from Policy 7510 applied.
Each team constitutes one group.

72 Saturday teams = 36 games/ week for 8 weeks = 288 x 2 = 576 groups
72 Saturday teams have 4 practices each = 288 practices
22 Select teams play 11 games at home each = 244 games x 2 groups = 488
22 Select teams have 2 practices per week for 15 weeks = 660 practices

Practices and Games at Dennis/Five Points
322 groups for games
330 groups for practices
652 groups total for practices and games x $15/group =$9780
Practices and Games at Intermediate
166 groups for games
330 groups for practices
496 groups total for practices and games x $10/group =$4960
Total for Select
$9780 +$4960 =$14,740

Practices for Saturday Rec League
192 groups for Dennis x $15/group =$2880
96 groups for Clearcreek x $10/group =$960
Games at Dennis
384 groups x $15/group =$5760
Games at Clearcreek
192 groups x $10/group =$1920
Total for Saturday Basketball
$5760 +$1920 =$7680

Total for Select and Saturday Basketball
$14,740 +$7680 =$22,420

$22,420 x 4 years =$89,680
ridiculous

Dayton, OH

#22078 Sep 23, 2012
You just dont get it wrote:
<quoted text>Mr. Petrey will be making NO decision. How ignorant are you? He will do as the board tells him, its in his contract.
Let me guess...bitter teacher who now has to be accountable instead of having everything handed to you?
not impressed

Franklin, OH

#22079 Sep 24, 2012
WOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Still not impressed by your wow (war of words).
like Rhett Butler said in the classic movie "Gone with the Wind"
Frankly my dear..........

But if you had noticed, Just Watching posted another very informative post on how much these fees that were waived add up to.
No Way

Piqua, OH

#22080 Sep 24, 2012
not impressed wrote:
<quoted text>
like Rhett Butler said in the classic movie "Gone with the Wind"
Frankly my dear..........
But if you had noticed, Just Watching posted another very informative post on how much these fees that were waived add up to.
The Springboro Youth Basketball official has now broadcast to Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners that he does not give a "rhett butler" about "doing what's right" for our school children and community as a whole; Clearly,the SYB just wants the new school district administrators to continue doing "business as usual" the Baker/Lolli/Long/Holtrey/Creag er illegal and unethical way. Excuse Me, but the arrogant on-camera performance by the SYB official was NO classic; but, just another one of the continuous reruns of "The Scamming." Show is now over for SYB; Time to pay up and enter a new season of "Where is Accountability?"
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#22081 Sep 24, 2012
Springboro Youth Basketball owes the taxpayers of this community roughly $89,000 for the FOUR years they used the taxpayer funded facilities.

From 2008-2009 through 2011-2012 they paid nothing for usage fees.

During the same time frame they sold back to the taxpayers who built the gyms the usage of the gyms.
SYB sold that back to the taxpayer to the tune of $300,000 plus for those FOUR years.

The good news is they did replace some basketball rims and grease the adjusting height mechanisms on the baskets at Dennis and Five Points. So technically they did give back, just not very much.

What was the reason for the overcharging on fees?
Where Is Accountability

Piqua, OH

#22082 Sep 24, 2012
Just Watching wrote:
The SYB appears to now claim to be a non-profit organization as of last week. What would that make them the four previous years when they were making $30,000 or so per year on $75,000 in revenue each year. That amounts to a 40% net profit each year.
They SYB president did mention that they have given some balls, rims and warm up pants for the boys varsity back to the school. All told that amounted to $6000 I believe he said. I wonder if that $6000 includes the $1500 dollars they gave to the Neighbors for Springboro Schools during the unnecessary levy campaigns to help fund the pro-levy forces.
Considering they have accumulated a war chest of over $120,000 plus because of this supposed usage fee waiver, giving back less than 5% hardly seems generous. Until they were drug out into the spotlight, their expressions of benevolence were muted at best.
The SYB president's latest claims are that he had his usage fees waived by the former Superintendents, the former business manager, and the former athletic director/coach. It raises a few interesting points to ponder.
All of those officials were or are employees of the Springboro School District and as such a have a duty of loyalty to perform. The duty of loyalty requires that the employee/agent acts solely in the best interest of the employer, free of any self-dealing, conflicts of interest, or other abuse of the employer for personal advantage.
The policy that allows the Superintendent the leeway to waive fees I believe was meant for those poor families who had trouble paying school fees or a group like LIFT that doesn't really have any money or use anything more than a classroom a couple hours a month. I do not believe the intent was to financially relieve a group comprised of some 700 plus youth who pay upwards of $75,000 per year and take over our gyms nonstop from November until March. This is an organization who has a 40% profit margin An organization, according to its president, that increased its collection efforts to ensure it got every dime available.
What would cause not one, but two superintendents to waive usage fees for a group that had already collected the monies from the taxpaying parents and had that money in the bank awaiting a bill. The SYB paid the custodial bill, but never the usage fee bill because it never came.
Did the SYB return the money to the parents? NO
Did the SYB reduce costs to the parents and save them some money during tough economic times? NO (in fact, they increased collection efforts)
The timing of the supposed waiver is also suspicious because it was during the contentious levy campaigns that foretold imminent doom if we failed to pass a levy. The president of the SYB appears to be charging those administrators with a breach of fiduciary duty, yet he himself is but an innocent bystander.
We all recall those levy campaigns that claimed financial calamity was just ahead if we did not pass the levy. We remember that money was so tight that we needed to cut services to make ends meet. It was the reason that pay to play came into existence. The reason we had no bussing within a two mile radius. The cessation of high school bussing. The reason given for cutting the lowest rungs of our district staff to save us from insolvency. If all that was true, why would the superintendents, the business manager, and the athletic director, be turning away $25,000 plus/year that was due and owed to the school district? Monies that had already been collected from unsuspecting parents.
Who ever heard of the embezzler keeping the money after he was caught?
Or the person who buys the stolen merchandise getting to keep the stuff when discovered? Or the drug dealer and his ill gotten gains? No one, it does not happen in real life.
Then why would the SYB president expect that he can take the taxpayers of this city because 'it wasn't his fault"?
Worth Repeating.
Very Impressive

Piqua, OH

#22083 Sep 24, 2012
Just Watching wrote:
Springboro Youth Basketball owes the taxpayers of this community roughly $89,000 for the FOUR years they used the taxpayer funded facilities.
From 2008-2009 through 2011-2012 they paid nothing for usage fees.
During the same time frame they sold back to the taxpayers who built the gyms the usage of the gyms.
SYB sold that back to the taxpayer to the tune of $300,000 plus for those FOUR years.
The good news is they did replace some basketball rims and grease the adjusting height mechanisms on the baskets at Dennis and Five Points. So technically they did give back, just not very much.
What was the reason for the overcharging on fees?
Thank you for "just watching!" Great news worth repeating! District Taxpayers are due $89,000 from SYB! Does "just watching see a way" to hold SYB financially accountable for their debt to school district taxpayers?
Very Impressive

Piqua, OH

#22084 Sep 24, 2012
Just Watching wrote:
If we concentrate on our primary mission of education, putting kids first in our plans and execution, then our schools will excel.
If, on the other hand, we waste time chasing red herrings, cutting sweetheart deals to make one group happier than the other, or worry about how everything will effect each of us individually, then we are in trouble.
It does not make sense to ignore the rules we as a school district have developed over long, hard won experience. Our board policy and procedures were each developed and refined to deal with a problem that arose way back when. There really is nothing new under the sun that has not been dealt with before in one fashion or another. To ignore the past and the lessons learned from it invite disaster.
Follow the by-laws, treat everyone equally, and move forward with our primary mission of providing the best quality education we can within the financial constraints imposed upon us by the taxpayers.
Sounds like a great new beginning for our children's future!
It's never too late for Springboro to become what it could have been! It doesn't take more money; it takes accountability.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#22085 Sep 24, 2012
Send them the bill they have been waiting on for these past FOUR years. SYB has the money, the fees have been collected for FOUR years from the parents and are now in the bank.

No other organization demands so much time and space or has a greater impact on our facilities than Springboro Youth Basketball.
Short memory

Detroit, MI

#22086 Sep 24, 2012
Just Watching wrote:
Send them the bill they have been waiting on for these past FOUR years. SYB has the money, the fees have been collected for FOUR years from the parents and are now in the bank.
No other organization demands so much time and space or has a greater impact on our facilities than Springboro Youth Basketball.
Didnt madden acknowledge earlier in the meeting that he had in fact heard of the waiver given to syb? By the way, usage fees were paid in 08-09. As explained, with documentation, by the syb treasurer, before kohls cut you off.
Disgusted

Lebanon, OH

#22087 Sep 24, 2012
I listened to Madden tell about an offhand comment from George Long from about a month ago. Madden didn't stick his neck out and say that he was privy to any of this in 2008.

I watched it twice and there was no documentation I saw presented by anyone, just a guy talking making claims that he could not verify. Hard to believe that everybody else had to pay, but these guys didn't.

I wonder about all those people who demanded everybody else pass levies. Why are they now the ones sitting there trying to keep money collected from the taxpaying parents instead of putting it back into the schools.

Low
money

Springboro, OH

#22088 Sep 24, 2012
how lucky you are wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are welcome City person as the Township has you covered. The Township taxes have gone up and up as farmers and anyone with land has covered your a____. My bill has gone up bu thousands over the last few years.
Disturbing that as you celebrate we in the Township sob. You eat out more and we eat less. So if you have more money in your pocket because your property taxes went down, please feel free to empty them into the schools or Township or City coffers. They say they need it.
So are you the reason they are running out of money and need more because I assure you it isn't because I'm not paying my fair share and yours? So, Ya, pay up now, it's for the kids. It is only one less pizza for you and another less meal for me. It is OK I have learned to starve but don't blame me for being angry about it.
Doesn't sound like money was celebrating as a read it....just stating facts. Something many on this blog don't care to recognize. And just for morbid curiosity, I went onto the auditors site and pulled up three random properties in the township......all showed a decrease in property taxes each year from 2007-2010. They did go up in 2011 as money stated. Looks like they went back up to roughly the same level as 2009.
Sorry

Lebanon, OH

#22089 Sep 24, 2012
Short memory wrote:
<quoted text> Didnt madden acknowledge earlier in the meeting that he had in fact heard of the waiver given to syb? By the way, usage fees were paid in 08-09. As explained, with documentation, by the syb treasurer, before kohls cut you off.
Sorry, but I do not believe the building fees were paid. Looking through the district's financial records on their website, I see very few entries for 07 or 08 booked as receipts for building fees. The ones that are booked are only for one hour at $25 per hour, which doesn't seem right, and at most, once a month there are 10 or so receipts in a row, but only $25 each.
Maybe I am not seeing them, but the receipts that are there are in fund 001, code 1810.
For example, for 12/10/2008, there are four in a row, each for $112.50 and the description is building fee - cafe & gym.
March 2007, I found $2525.00 in building fees.
November 2007,$300 in building fees.
January 2008,$200 in building fees.
None in February or March of 2008.
April 2008,$350 in building fees.
May 2008 $873 in custodial and building fees.
June 2008 $200 in building fees.
And, from these records, you can't tell who was paying for the use of the buildings. It could have been a different group, especially since most of the fees are for one hour.

I hope there are more, but I doubt it. If the SYB really did pay, they should show up with their receipts or cancelled checks at the next Board meeting.

As far as waiting for an invoice, the SYB knew that they owed the money to the school. Not that Dettwiller shouldn't have sent an invoice or done some kind of follow up. His kids were probably in the SYB at some point in time.

The current Treasurer Should be able to runa list by fund and function doer the last ten years.
Observer

Lebanon, OH

#22090 Sep 24, 2012
The president of SYB has all the answers, even if he has to make them up on the spot. Trouble with spreading the truth pretty thin is that you can't always remember where you spread it thick and where you spread it thin. Who did I tell what to when? Dangerous stuff, makes people seem less than trustworthy when the story changes every other day.

Surprised to hear of all the people the president says are mistaken in what they heard; the board, the superintendent, SYB's own treasurer, people in the community. Why isn't Baker, Lolli, Long, Holtrey, or Creagher coming up in front of the cameras to vouch for what this guy is saying? He said they were all part of the give away.

These board meetings aren't as dry as I thought.
oh my

Dayton, OH

#22091 Sep 24, 2012
money wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't sound like money was celebrating as a read it....just stating facts. Something many on this blog don't care to recognize. And just for morbid curiosity, I went onto the auditors site and pulled up three random properties in the township......all showed a decrease in property taxes each year from 2007-2010. They did go up in 2011 as money stated. Looks like they went back up to roughly the same level as 2009.
what ward you live in?
Why Do They Not Pay

Lebanon, OH

#22092 Sep 24, 2012
If they have the $120,000 or so in the bank, they didn't get that by collecting cans to take to the recycler. What is the big deal about paying what you owe?
Everybody knows you collected the money, why don't you pay the bill? SYB would still have $30,000 or so in the bank, how much money do they need to run this?
Follow the money

Piqua, OH

#22093 Sep 24, 2012
money wrote:
<quoted text>
the money is circled round and round the school/city/township/county and the taxpayer never gets a break.
No school levy was passed in 2011;
but the Springboro Youth Basketball Assoiation has been cheating district taxpayers out of fees for facilities use now for several years;
AND our property taxes increased in 2012 because the County MRDD slapped a big tax increase on overburdened homeowners to send money to Springboro Schools;
then the city/township government double dipped into homeowners' pockets again to "donate" our hard earned tax dollars to the Wade Field project;
Now Mr. Wade tells Clearcreek township homeowners that the tax holiday (due taxpayers because of a $14 million surplus) would mean such as small amount for each homeowner; that he feels that the GOVERNMENT can better spend our money!
Clearcreek Township Trustee Jason Gabbard should vote to honor this tax holiday giving taxpayers back money that is overtaxed. And Mr. Gabbard should use his influence with the Springboro Youth Basketball Association to make sure the SYB pays up the money owed to school district taxpayers for using school facilites.
Sorry

West Milton, OH

#22094 Sep 24, 2012
What if they haven't been paying it for longer than four years? Go look at the 03-04 year. I can not find any deposits there for building fees, janitor fees or camp fees.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opinion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 2 min WasteWater 26,986
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 24 min Marauder 12,132
Am I a Zionist? 34 min sam 40
Islamic State's tyranny strikes all religions 42 min Ravenclaw 5
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 44 min KiMare 3,126
Zen Buddhist Temple in Japan Offers Symbolic Sa... 1 hr Switches 49
Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the E... 2 hr Miller 11
More from around the web