Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hunting -

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Anticipating autumn's bounty of cooler weather, glorious sunshine and majestic foliage also brings sadness to my heart, knowing the suffering about to be inflicted by Maryland's bow hunters on our deer starting ...

Comments (Page 6,145)

Showing posts 122,881 - 122,900 of123,275
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Hey”

Since: Nov 07

laurel md

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

EcoAngel wrote:
Hunters are arrogant and aggressive people, believe me I know.
I think of arrogance as my way is the best way and only way.

“Hey”

laurel md

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

IMGKNEE wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Squach,
I really would like to know the proven stats of hunters that have been injured or killed from falling from tampered tree stands.
Spesking of claims, that's what I don't get, never will get...that hunters have compassion for all living things. For instance learning to enjoy birds, as this 19 year woman you are talking about as she is learning to kill other living things.
I took my daughter to a sporting goods store to buy some pepper spray. Surprisingly I am on friendly terms with the owner even though he is an avid hunter. So while we were waiting for him, my daughter wandered around looking at the mounts on the wall, and the pictures of hunters posing with the dead animals they had killed. So my girl came back to me and said, "Mom the more I see, the madder I am getting at these people." She didn't like one bit what she saw, especially the pictures. So we left. Plain spoken words from someone who really does respect ALL living things.
Happy 2013 to you if I don't talk to you sooner.
I think that your daughter will find, as she goes through life, that taking good aim with anger will be as important to her in her efforts and accomplishments, as it is for me to take good aim while I'm bowhunting.

Here's an example. Angelina Jolie, a part time animal rights activist, as I've just learned was rubbing caviar on her tummy to prevent stretch marks during HER pregnancy. One can only wonder what she was thinks about the pregnancies of the sturgeons that produce the eggs she uses. I don't know. Maybe she quit and now embraces a mea culpa attitude.

HAPPY 2013 to you and your daugther Jeanne.

I hope she learns your temperance....

Peace :)

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

peteoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Merry Christmas all !!
I see that Squach hasn't replied in some time.
Hope all is well with him and everyone else.
I can see where people are proud of their accomplishments.
There is no denying that. That is why you see pictures and mounts.
Ever see a picture of a cake someone made?
How about a fingerpainting on the side of a fridge?
Someone breaking the tape at a finish line?
A small rock retrieved from the top of a mountain?
After all...if you aren't proud of what you're doing...then why do it?
Much less take pictures of it.
I disagree with pope and young assertions that IT is about honoring the animal.
If so....there would be no mention of the hunter. So it's not glorifying death....it's
'Glorifying' an accomplishment.
All that said...you'd be hard pressed to find a picture of me with a deer although I was smiling for a trail camera
Recently. There may have been a deer running away in the background....
Are some people competitive?
Absolutely....
That's been going on for a long time...
http://www.dancingbearindiantrader.com/dresss...
Sometimes it's not even an accomplishment. It's just a fond memory of a moment in your life. I take tons of pictures....of everything.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

peteoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Merry Christmas all !!
If so....there would be no mention of the hunter. So it's not glorifying death....it's
All that said...you'd be hard pressed to find a picture of me with a deer although I was smiling for a trail camera
Absolutely....
I appreciate your comments Pete. Thanks.

I have no problem with folks who do take those pictures for the reasons you gave. That's their business, and yes I do look at the photos on the message boards in the sporting goods stores.
I do notice that about 99%+ of them are of antlered critters, and the size is what matters most in your competitive explanation. Yes, I know that all hunting areas restrict the legal animals and that it is most often the males of the species that are taken.

I do however have a problem with people that insist I have a photo taken, or that it is me who has a problem because I feel differently because I am a hunter. I am aware that is not what you meant. I am speaking about the incident last season where the photographer got pretty insistant. The compromise was that a photo was taken with myself and my hunting partner at the time, with the Tetons as the backdrop and a promise from the photographer that the dead cow laying on the ground, not be in the photo.
I do not know if she kept her promise as I never saw the picture. I was also unwilling to pose for such a photo as the one taking the picture was in the business of retrieving the animals from the field to the hunters' vehicles, and I wanted no part in promoting her business, by exploiting what I still think to be disrespect for the dead.

Am I "proud" when I make a kill?
NO!!!

Am I "proud" of killing that animal?
NO!!!

Am I "proud" of my accomplishment?
No. I am however, pleased that I was able to feed my family and some friends and older ones who can no longer hunt for themselves.

You asked me if I am not "proud" of my accomplishment, then why do I do it.
That's a fair question. You are a man of integrity from what I know, so I will answer it as honestly as I can.
I do it because I have been on a long journey of trying to understand this axiom that all living things die, and that through death, life springs. I layed down my weapons for many years and went fishing when I decided that I did not like killing, and it may perhaps be "wrong".
I very soon learned to be a strict, very strict, catch and release fisherman. I did become that "purist" through thinking deeply about it. I was forced into becoming that purist because I am a pragmatist, and as my ability to catch fish grew, almost to the point of legend in my small circle, there was no way that I could eat that many fish, and besides that, there are creel limits to obey.

cont.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Correction
I did NOT become that "purist" ^

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed fishing. I thoroughly enjoyed becoming an accomplished fly fisherman, and I became a teacher of fly tying, building fly rods, and taking folks, especially the little ones, fishing.
After awhile of doing that, other realizations, and the old question of if killing to eat was wrong, began to creep back into my psychi.

I discovered during my strict adherence to catch and release only fly fishing, that I was killing fish without meaning nor intending to do so. I had to make a decision or compromise, or stop fishing. I went to barbless hooks to try to lessen what I perceived to be my negative impact. I thought I had the answer, and then learned about the "stiletto effect" with barbless hooks.
The stiletto effect is where the barbless hook slips out of the hole it first pierced, and then pierces another hole, and then another, and then another, as the hook comes out and then back in the flesh in a new place during fighting the fish to hand.
I tried to overcome that by training myself to be better at landing the fish with a constant steady pressure so the hook would stay in only one hole. I was still killing a few fish here and there, if for no other reason than the energy it took out of the fish during the "battle", and they were unable to recover.
I kept fishing, but started taking the ones that I killed by accident and told myself that it was OK, if the fish were eaten. I began to eat some of them streamside when they are the freshest, and gave the others to people I thought appreciated it. Some did not, and those fish went to the worms.
Now what? I asked myself.
I asked myself all the questions that get posed here by those who oppose what we do as hunters. I asked myself all those same questions, and made an honest attempt at answering them truthfully, and with logic and reason instead of my running away from it with my strict emotional approach to it.

I went vegetarian for a spell.
All those rabbits and skunks, and pheasants, and badgers that I had personally chopped to death with the swather and mower and combine while growing up on the farm, reappeared in my dreams, and I was haunted by their spirits.

I was unable to escape death, no matter how hard I tried. I started to think about my own demise in a new and different light, and found that it was interconnected with the deaths of all those I tried not to kill. I tried very hard not to kill, but failed.

I came to realize that, I mistook how I felt for logic and reason, and was not running from the killing, and trying to avoid it, or stop it because it was "wrong", but rather, because it was simply unpleasant for me to kill and witness suffering and death so up close and personal.
I discovered that no matter how hard I tried to distance myself from it, and took all the precautions against it as I humanly could, that the death followed me, and that I was unable to avoid it.

I decided that it was impossible to escaoe death as a living entity, a human being, and that even my own living would end - in this dimension.

And then ...
I discovered the circle of life. Actually I did not discover it, as it already existed and had existed since the beginning of time. I discovered nothing. I accepted something that I could not change.

Since that time, I have become an accomplished gardner, and elk hunter. I decided that since I could not change the exioms of life, I could at least continue to do my best to limit my negative impact as much as I possibly could. I began to look at what and where I rpocurred my food. I learned that factory raised animals were laden with chemicals and growth hormones, and antibiotics. I, as the majority of our society, both on and off the reservation, were being forced to ingest drugs.

cont.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

I studied plants so I could be a better gardener, but more than that, I studied them to see if science agreed with the grandfathers when they said the one leggeds are relatives too.
I learned that they are.
I learned that plants have simple brains, and intentional movements, as thier root ends seek out nutrients and avoided obstacles. I learned that some scientists say that carrots scream when they are pulled from thier mother's womb. I tried to hear them scream, but learned that I can not hear it. I learned that there are things that happen even though I am incapable of using my five senses to know about it.
The grandfathers showed me how to listen with my inner ears and see with my inner eyes. They taught me how to use my innate sixth sense, so that I could hear their screams, and know that their screams were real. I learned that I must become open to possibly instead of what I perceived as impossibility.
I learned that death is part of life and there is no death without life and there is no life without death.
I discovered that since death is a part of life, that there must be an acceptable place for it in my dimension and life, and it would be a healthy thing for me to embrace it - if I could.
Someone who understood my plight, and was familiar with the circle of life, took me elk hunting. I had been elk hunting for 18 seasons before I layed down my weapons, and my "journey" began in earnest, but, I had never killed an elk - in 18 years of supposedly trying to do so.
He showed me how to respect the elk, and make sure that they too get the "burial ceremony" that all living things, deserve. They are our relatives. They give up their lives for us to live.
The dead are deserving of respect, even if they have a much different physical appearance than we humans.
He showed me how to give something back to the Earth as I had just taken from her bounty, and he showed me that death is a trade transaction, not a finite ultimatum, and that it is OK, to kill and eat, as it is the only way we can live.
He, with the help of others in my "village" showed me a way to live, that I could live with.

The irony, since human life is pure irony in many ways, is that the one who showed me the path back, is also the one who I took on his first deer hunt nigh on 50 years ago now.

It is not pride that I feel when I kill, it is life.
It is not an avoidance of my accomplishments that cause me to avoid photos of my "accomplishment".
It is a simple respect for the dead. The dead who gave their very lives so that I could live.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes it's not even an accomplishment. It's just a fond memory of a moment in your life. I take tons of pictures....of everything.
You have heard the story of my avoidance of that photo first hand.
I hope I have filled in the gaps as to why I declined that day on the refuge in the snow.

No, you do not take photos "of everything".
Did you take one to remember the last time you, mas ...
Never mind.

<wink>

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

peteoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Merry Christmas all !!
Absolutely....
Look at my avatar photo Pete.
Most people miss it. Many do not even recognize (or do not know maybe) that horses do not generally grow elk antlers.

Photos of antlers, or mounts, do not bother me, as I associate those type things with someone keeping the ashes of their dead relatives. I do have the ashes of the best hunting partner I ever had, my Springer, on my dresser. I plan a pilgrimage to the canyon next summer to put them where I remember him best, and he was so alive and engaged in life and all it meant to him.

It is the photos of the whole body, which encased the life itself, that I find disrespectful.

Oh, and Squach has a new teevee show that keeps him very busy. I think it is him on teevee anyway. Squach and his immediate family apparently have deep respect for the dead as well. One never sees their dead strewn around or in pictures. I wonder why that is.
<wink>

Happy New Year Pete.

I enjoy our chats here very much. You see deep into the water my friend.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
You have heard the story of my avoidance of that photo first hand.
I hope I have filled in the gaps as to why I declined that day on the refuge in the snow.
No, you do not take photos "of everything".
Did you take one to remember the last time you, mas ...
Never mind.
<wink>
"You have heard the story of my avoidance of that photo first hand."
Yes, I did..... just a few minutes ago when I read your post. Though I did wonder why that majestic animal was cut off on that photo.

I respect your feelings on this issue, but I feel a little different about it... for a different reason.

I have found dead birds a few times at work that were window hits and brought them home to photograph them before laying them under the oak tree to sustain another life. Usually my goal is to show people what a beautiful creature it is/was.

One window kill was a Common Yellowthroat. Another was a Red-eyed Vireo. Unless one actively searches for birds in nature, people will likely never see either of these two species...though they are both very common and abundant over most of the country in spring and summer. They don't come to feeders, but they will come to water, so a bird bath will attract them (especially if the water is moving).

The Yellowthroat can be found in marshes, wetlands and overgrown fields...if one is patient enough for it to come into the open. The vireo usually stays high in the trees in the forest and can be heard much more than it is seen.

My reasoning is just maybe seeing these beautiful dead birds in up close detail will help convince folks to take steps in their own life to protect and conserve... not only birds, but all animals. Whether it's minimizing window hits, protecting habitat, reducing pesticide use, etc... people won't care about them if they don't know what there is to care about.

BTW, I haven't photographed dead birds in a long time. New and better camera equipment has eliminated the need to do so.

Oh yeah, I also photographed a dove that had a humungous growth on it's face after it passed away. I could get much better views of it at different angles. It is in my archives. Someday I'll show it to someone who can tell me what exactly it was, or how or why it might have formed.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Aquarius-WY wrote:
It is not pride that I feel when I kill, it is life.
It is not an avoidance of my accomplishments that cause me to avoid photos of my "accomplishment".
It is a simple respect for the dead. The dead who gave their very lives so that I could live.
Some of these quotes from hunters would be laughable if they weren't so sick. You feel life when you kill ???

If you need to "feel life" by killing a defenseless animal then
there is something seriously wrong with your gray matter.

“Hey”

laurel md

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

EcoAngel wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of these quotes from hunters would be laughable if they weren't so sick. You feel life when you kill ???
Apparently someone thinks my definition was mean...
"I think of arrogance as my way is the best way and only way."

What do you think ecoangel?

“Hey”

laurel md

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Aquarius-WY wrote:
GREAT post AQ. Thanks for taking the time !
There's always something to learn from you :)

There's also the aspect of respect for life. One of the reasons why I don't fish unless I'm apt to eat or feed others with what is caught. But that's my view that isn't getting jammed down anyone's throat.

IMO pride in doing ANYTHING the right way is okay.

You hunted for 18 years before getting an elk. Obviously being very good at whatever you do is important. Sounds like persistence in pursuing perfection.

Instilling that viewpoint in younger folks is an accomplishment :)

"proud of his accomplishments" got 1.25 Million hits on google.
"proud of her accomplishments" gets 1.3 million
"proud of my accomplishments" gets 775k

I think it is safe to say that MANY kids are looking for respect and acknowledgment of their achievements.

"take pride in your work" gets 2.6M hits.

SE Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

peteoo wrote:
<quoted text>
GREAT post AQ. Thanks for taking the time !
There's always something to learn from you :)
I agree!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

peteoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently someone thinks my definition was mean...
"I think of arrogance as my way is the best way and only way."
What do you think ecoangel?
Anyone that say they need to "kill" to "feel life"
has a serious mental problem.
Get Out

Jacksonville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

EcoAngel wrote:
<quoted text>
HSUS Vegan is that you? If it is you havenít stopped us from hunting and never will, howís that Karma for you?(Even if itís not you wonít stop us from hunting either). You been out skulking around in the dark sabotaging tree stands this year? Yak at you later I need to get my hunting gear ready for tonights camping/ hunting trip.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

EcoAngel wrote:
<quoted text>
If you say so, but then what you say has no effect on my life circle maam.

Perhaps you could benefit from an educaton by the grandmothers. Your life experience would be a much more enjoyable one if you embraced the circle of life, instead of your chosen path, which is to hate those whom disagree with you.
You have no real life experience in the nature of how Mother Nature lives. Her rules say that all life dies, and all life is sustained by others dying.
What you have maam, is a life, as it relates to the outside world, which is merely you thinking about what life must be like on the outside of your condo, and deciding how it is from afar.

Please avoid judging me until you have walked in my steps maam.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

EcoAngel wrote:
<quoted text>
What you post maam, is your own words which you try to make mine. Your words maam, carry your intent to slander me.

My words carry iron, and are as true as I can make them, so that the hope of you grasping where I am coming from, will be successful, and we truly do achieve effective communication between us.
My words are simply this:

All humans need to kill in order to remain with "life".

You try to imply maam, that I am seeking a release of some sort when I kill to live, that is akin to a full body adrenaline type rush that you may, hopefully, experience if your mate and you achieve climax during coitus.

If I felt the same energy when I kill to live, that I feel when achieving one of the pinnicles of the human emotional and physical experience on Earth which I described above - I would refrain from sexual intercourse for the remainder of my days, and the mere thought of making love would be repulsive to me.
I did not puke the first time I had sex maam. Did you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

Judged:

Aquarius-WY wrote:
that is akin to a full body adrenaline type rush that you may, hopefully, experience if your mate and you achieve climax during coitus.
I did not puke the first time I had sex maam. Did you?
Leave it to one of these arrogant lunkheads to make an analogy using sex. What a shocking development.
Athough they do tend to think with the little head rather than the big head, which is why they are hunters in the first place.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

EcoAngel wrote:
<quoted text>
Leave it to one of these arrogant lunkheads to make an analogy using sex. What a shocking development.
Athough they do tend to think with the little head rather than the big head, which is why they are hunters in the first place.
If ^that^ is what you gleaned from my words maam, then I can only say that I hope someone teaches you how to read and understand what is written.

You can have all the dillusional dreams you wish. Your dreams do not effect my life circle maam.

I tried to comunicate with you.
You refuse, but more than that maam, you intentionally distort my words, and prefer to attack me personally instead.

We're done here.
Have a great day maam.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 122,881 - 122,900 of123,275
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••