Is hockey melting away?

Jan 28, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Red Deer Advocate

One benefit of the National Hockey League strike: it gave people time to play outside on real ice! But outdoor skating could face the same difficulties as the NHL - a drastically shorter season or outright cancellation.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

Actually, we should also talk about Santa Clause's residence melting away.

Then it is Christmas melting away..
paul SHYKORA arts

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2013

Judged:

...''NO''...eh
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Judged:

More words of wisdom from the spaced out, spacedoutblues. Priceless!!!
glr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Hockey is fun to watch, but I don't like it that much. There are far more important priorities that need attention than sports and entertainment. Hockey is much farther down the list of must do things.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Sports should be on a list of thing not to do.

“go fly kites ”

Since: Jan 13

London, GB

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

Hockey ought to be played more in schools. Kids tend to continue with sports they did growing up.. if not playing then spectating. Bring the prestige to hockey other sports enjoy then it'll be their problems melting away.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2013

hopefully.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

More sports more violence.
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

10:39 am, Wednesday, January 30, 2013:
RE: Is hockey melting away?
..... It's a question of demand and supply. If fewer people want to attend some sporting events, then expect the sport(s) concerned "to be melting away" slowly. It depends on the health of the economy with its ups and downs.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

It depends on how much money the players/owners demand.
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

11:54 am, Wednesday, January 30, 2013:
..... Yes, "astronomical" ticket prices will keep fans and others away if they can watch juniors play for free! There is a mathematical "best" price based on past events, but there is no guarantee of what the future will bring/leave behind!
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

And the free will soon go away.
at a glance

Englewood, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Actually, the ratings are up on hockey.I dont know if it is a direct result of the season starting so late or what.I,d rather watch hockey than basketball.The baseball franchise owners should try a lockout also.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

You bet, continue to allow the sports owners/players hold the fans hostage to raise rates. Good one!!!
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

12:14 pm, Wednesday, January 30, 2013:
..... If and when the politicians will raise taxes, then expect more melting away of attendances at sports events. When is the next recession? or boom?

“Seriously guys...”

Since: May 12

The 'Shwa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

PHD wrote:
You bet, continue to allow the sports owners/players hold the fans hostage to raise rates. Good one!!!
Hostage???
Protip: fans don't have to attend the games.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Whisgean Zoda wrote:
<quoted text>
Hostage???
Protip: fans don't have to attend the games.
So if they don't attend then they are not fans. Only the real fans are held hostage. Stay confused they make more money.

“Seriously guys...”

The 'Shwa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

PHD wrote:
<quoted text>So if they don't attend then they are not fans. Only the real fans are held hostage. Stay confused they make more money.
Stay confused? That's funny. I haven't watched an NHL game since they started this season. After 3 lockouts/strikes since this "new era" of hockey, I've had it with a bunch of millionaires and billionaires fighting with each other over money.

There are a half dozen Junior A teams within very easy driving distance that also get frequent TV coverage. There's the AHL as well which quite honestly, are often times better than NHL games anymore.

So I still gets my hockey fix, I just don't have to pay the whore known as the NHL to get it.
Jay

Sherwood Park, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Not melting away on my street its -25 out and kids still play hockey outside, ticket sales are solid for NHL, WHL, and community Juniors are filling the stands too. Maybe there's nothing else to do when your pockets are full of money from black gold! Silly topic, hockey is a Canadian identity, where ever our soldiers travel to they entertain the other coalition soldiers with a bag of hockey sticks and some fine street hockey. People are upset about the strike but in this day and age we forget that in 14-30 days and its business as usual.

“Seriously guys...”

The 'Shwa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2013

Jay wrote:
Not melting away on my street its -25 out and kids still play hockey outside, ticket sales are solid for NHL, WHL, and community Juniors are filling the stands too. Maybe there's nothing else to do when your pockets are full of money from black gold! Silly topic, hockey is a Canadian identity, where ever our soldiers travel to they entertain the other coalition soldiers with a bag of hockey sticks and some fine street hockey. People are upset about the strike but in this day and age we forget that in 14-30 days and its business as usual.
Nope, I made my stand. It didn't bother me in the least to not watch the Toronto/Montreal game or the battle of Alberta last Saturday. It's the principle of the thing for me now.
Like you said, ticket sales are solid for other leagues besides the NHL, and that's because there's no shortage of hockey outside of the NHL.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••